WIAW: A Dessert Favorite

by Courtney on June 4, 2014

Okay, sometimes I’m really just awful coming up at blog intros. I’ve got nothing.

But, I guess I could go ahead and say that I’m psyched to have it already be Wednesday, AND I’m still succeeding at sticking to my plan for morning workouts. Then again, take that as you will, since I only declared that about a week ago.

I think my biggest hurdle will be planning my workouts at the beginning of the week (or at least the night before) so I’m not scrambling in the morning trying to figure out what to do. That’s the worst, isn’t it? To keep my brain from having to work too hard, I’ve mostly been sticking to DVD’s and the NTC app, but I’m not gonna lie…sometimes, I’m really missing that gym setting. I don’t have any plans to join one in the foreseeable future though, so I think I’m gonna have to invest in some new items for our “home gym” (aka, the corner of our basement). My two sets of dumbbells are getting sort of lame.

Not lame? My eats from Monday. So how’s that for a segue into today’s WIAW post? Winking smile

Breakfast

I’m totally in the greek yogurt + berries + cereal mode right now. The strawberries and blueberries are decent and, well, the other stuff is just always good.

yogurt bowl and iced coffee

I also still have a bit of an iced coffee problem. Please, send help.

Mid-Morning Snacks

I started out with a banana, then about a half hour later I also dug into a package of cinnamon brown sugar belVita breakfast biscuits.

bananabelvita

I loved them so much from the campaign I did a couple of months ago that I had to go out and buy them again. My store didn’t have the blueberry flavor this time, but these are just as delish. I’m a major fan.

Lunch

Monday’s weather was sooooo nice, I just had to get outside and catch some fresh air and sun rays. So I grabbed my friend Morgan and we hit up the outdoor picnic tables for an al fresco lunch.

chicken and couscous

Lunch for me was a leftover piece of grilled chicken from Sunday + some more leftover couscous salad. Not on delicious, but a total breeze to throw together. If only I had things like this waiting for me everyday.

Mid-Afternoon Snack

As yummy as lunch was, it actually didn’t hold me over as long as I thought it would. So a couple of hours later, I snacked on some celery sticks + peanut butter.

celery and peanut butter

You didn’t really think I’d go a day without peanut butter, did you?

Dinner

Jay and I kept things simple for dinner with BLT sandwiches and some green beans.

BLT sandwich

I’m usually so caught up with adding x, y, or z to my sandwiches to “jazz” them up that sometimes I forget just how good a simple BLT is. You guys know what I mean?!

Dessert

Ahhhhh…an old dessert favorite.

friendly's watermelon sherbet

Do you guys remember when this was a major pregnancy craving of mine? Well, apparently it’s also a warm weather craving, because Jay and I both had a “omg we have to have it” moment on Monday night.

friendly's watermelon sherbet

Still just as amazing with mini chocolate chips. You. Must. Try. It.

Alright friends, it’s work time. Happy Wednesday!

So I’m curious…how many of you work out at home? Work out at a gym? Work out somewhere else?

1 Brynn June 4, 2014 at 6:19 am

I totally remember the watermelon ice cream from your pregnancy!
I have a gym membership and love it since they offer a ton of great classes so I can have variety with my workouts. But I still find myself running outside or doing a DVD once a week just to avoid the drive time.
Brynn recently posted..MAY FAVORITES

2 Katie June 4, 2014 at 6:58 am

I have a treadmill that I use all the time but I just started a new workout video. Granted, it’s only been 3 days but it’s going really well & my husband is doing it with me so he’s helping to motivate me & get me up. So far so good! That ice cream looks so good!

3 Stacie @ SimplySouthernStacie June 4, 2014 at 7:06 am

I used to always work out at the gym, but lately I’ve been doing more work out videos and routines at home. It’s so much more convenient and I feel like I can really push myself since no one is around.

4 Amelia June 4, 2014 at 7:24 am

We can’t get Friendly’s products down here in SC. I think I can only find them at my parents grocery stores in Ohio when I visit. It used to be such a treat to get a sundae at Friendly’s when I was a little girl. Ah such great memories!
Yes, sometimes simple sandwiches are the best! Glad your still motivated to get your morning workouts in. I must go to the gym to workout….either a spin class, body pump, or step aerobics. I thrive on group fitness and energy from the instructors. Great music always helps too! Back when I didn’t have access to the gym I rarely worked out. Happy Wednesday!

5 Tiff @ Love, Sweat, & Beers June 4, 2014 at 7:48 am

Oh girl, my ice cream preggo cravings won’t leave me alone. It’s made worse not only by the warm weather but also that ice cream/froyo is always on sale these days. Must eat all the flavors!! haha
Tiff @ Love, Sweat, & Beers recently posted..Moderate Exercise WIAW

6 Courtney June 4, 2014 at 9:40 pm

I’m with ya, girl!

7 Mindy June 4, 2014 at 7:56 am

I have been doing body rock workouts at home for the past 2 months(and I run outside) and they are awesome! They are only 12-15 minutes but holy cow are they hard! I would definitely recommend them!
Mindy recently posted..Favorites 5-30

8 Linz @ Itz Linz June 4, 2014 at 8:01 am

i prefer to workout at a gym but now with a baby i’ve got to start figuring out this at home workout thing. so far, i’ve just been walking outside and doing occasional lunges and pushups at home.
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Garlic Parmesan Kale Chips

9 Catherine June 4, 2014 at 8:04 am

I used to be a loyal 5 – 6 time a week gym goer for over 10 years. Now that have a house with space in the basement I strictly workout at home – DVDs and FitnessGlo provide a variety of workouts and since I workout in the morning it allows me not have to think about what I’m going to do and before I know it the workout is done :) I prefer working out at home because I can do different moves that I’d never attempt in public and I find I push myself harder. Plus, it’s so convenient not having to factor in the drive and fighting with people for space/equipment.

10 Courtney June 4, 2014 at 9:40 pm

I totally agree with you! There are definitely moves that I will do at home but would definitely NOT do in public at the gym ;)

11 Lindsay @ Lindsay's List June 4, 2014 at 8:23 am

Watermelon sherbet!?!? YUM!
Lindsay @ Lindsay’s List recently posted..9 years

12 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat June 4, 2014 at 8:26 am

Well, now I’m craving a BLT and some of that watermelon sorbet! What a perfect way to end the evening!

I have a lot of workout DVDs at home that I do. I’ve never joined a gym before, but I’ve definitely been considering it. The idea of having everything at your fingertips (weights, equipment, fitness classes, etc.) really does sound appealing!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..WIAW #42 – A Smoothie, Pasta Bake and Some Ribs

13 Haley @Cupcakes and Sunshine June 4, 2014 at 9:16 am

I workout at the gym. If I’m at home, I’m just too darn distracted! The gym keeps me motivated and focused.

14 Shel@PeachyPalate June 4, 2014 at 9:22 am

NTC app is so handy for when you haven’t planned something! I always just plan out circuits the night before if I’m not going to use the app. Could you do some drop in classes maybe in a local gym? Even once a week for something to look forward to!

15 Britt@MyOwnBalance June 4, 2014 at 9:23 am

My brother and I used to always have sherbert when we were sick. I have no idea why that would be a good thing but I remember it so well!
Britt@MyOwnBalance recently posted..Finding Zen and Combating Morning Sickness

16 Parita @ myinnershakti June 4, 2014 at 10:00 am

I work out at home right now (doing T25 from start to finish), but I usually go to our apartment gym for weights/quick cardio or outside for a long(ish) run. I feel your pain though. Sometimes I feel like you can only be so creative with home workouts. Maybe invest in some new DVDs to switch things up…?

17 Courtney June 4, 2014 at 9:38 pm

Possibly…I’d really like to get some more weights and maybe a barbell!

18 Jill June 4, 2014 at 10:02 am

I’ve had gym memberships in the past, but right now I work out at home. I have a subscription to The Daily Burn and have been so impressed with their workout programs! It’s nice to have the flexibility to not have to get out and really fit it into my schedule at any time.

19 Courtney June 4, 2014 at 9:38 pm

Flexibility is definitely key! :)

20 Koryn @ High Heels & Healthy Alternatives June 4, 2014 at 10:04 am

I work out at a studio… not a really a gym. I’ve recently starting doing the 55 min. “Pure Barre” workouts there, which have been great – https://www.facebook.com/PureBarre?ref=br_tf! It’s just so dang tough to go on a consistent basis, now that I have a little one at home. “Said little one” also makes it difficult to get any “at home” workouts done. Oh, the struggle! Gotta love it! Lol.
Koryn @ High Heels & Healthy Alternatives recently posted..Memorial Day Weekend Fun!

21 karleen June 4, 2014 at 10:37 am

I get in different phases with my workouts. Right now, I have to workout at a gym because I’m so not motivated when I get home. I drive a little ways out of the way in the early mornings because this gym provides everything for me to be able to get ready for work. I think it’s worth it because right now, if I don’t make it to the gym in the morning, I don’t do anything! Of course I could be saying something different in a couple months. I like to change it up before I get burned out

22 Hilary June 4, 2014 at 10:42 am

I actually do all three haha, I like having the gym as an option since all I have is 5 pound weights and sometimes that is just not enough (or most the time). I also like to do insanity at home! I love yoga videos for home workouts as well. And my runs are all done on the bike path! I love the variety of it!
Hilary recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday On Saturday

23 Courtney June 4, 2014 at 9:37 pm

yoga video workouts are definitely great!

24 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries June 4, 2014 at 10:43 am

I loooove those cinnamon brown sugar BelVita biscuits! I should grab some more. Perfectly crunchy and a small amount of sweetness…mmmm!

I’ve gone through so many phases of working out at home versus at the gym. The last several months has been the gym. I’ve been super plugged in to the group fitness atmosphere, and I’ve been loving every minute of it. It’s a great way for me to get out of the house with Hunter, gives me some “me time”, and gives Hunter some time with other babies/kids.
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Heading to Blend Retreat with Fabletics

25 Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves June 4, 2014 at 10:45 am

Watermelon sherbet sounds amazing right now. And ya gotta love really awesome leftovers for lunch!
I usually work out at the gym, but since my membership is ending tomorrow (going to college this fall!), I’m gonna be doing lots of at home workouts, which I love also! I like to work out outdoors too when it’s not blazing hot.
Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted..WIAW: Fluffy and Peachy

26 Jenny June 4, 2014 at 10:46 am

all of the above! Actually, I’m looking forward to getting a weight room set up in our basement so I never need to go to the gym again. :)
Jenny recently posted..That Time a 4 Mile Run Turned in to 6 {Strawberry & Basil Infused Water}

27 Kate June 4, 2014 at 11:07 am

oh my…..my first thought when i saw the watermelon sorbet was a baby announcement….I scanned the post immediately for the breaking news!!!! Such a greaat blog, it is a STAPLE in my day : )

28 Courtney June 4, 2014 at 9:36 pm

Hahaha, oh goodness no! And thank you so much, Kate!!

29 Nancy June 4, 2014 at 11:32 am

I can’t get past the tartness of plain greek yogurt, so I could never eat that yogurt/berrie mixture you had for breakfast. Needless to say though, we do go through a bucket full of greek yogurt every few days – because of all the smoothies we’re (I’m) making!!

I workout in my buildings gym complex, and then I take yoga classes and do bouldering both at the climbing gym.
Nancy recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday: #2

30 Courtney June 4, 2014 at 9:35 pm

haha, plain Greek is rough – that was vanilla ;)

31 Kathryn June 4, 2014 at 11:34 am

I live in an apartment, with most of the space dedicated to the bedrooms and bathrooms, leaving virtually no living room space, so I can’t have any workout gear. Our complex has a gym, but the a/c is usually broken (and working out in a room with bad a/c while it’s 110+ outside..no thank you!). I really would like to renew my gym membership, especially since the gym is 1/4 mile from my house, but that’ll have to wait for a few months. So right now, all my workouts are whatever I can do using just my body.

32 Courtney June 4, 2014 at 9:35 pm

Keep it up, girl! ;)

33 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl June 4, 2014 at 12:28 pm

I have found that the only real reason why I heat celery is so that I have an excuse to eat more peanut butter! ;)
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..WIAW: June 4, 2014 (Recent Eats)

34 Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats June 4, 2014 at 1:17 pm

I work out at home! I have kettlebells in 3 different weights, resistance bands, and a set of 5 lb dumbbells (though I really need a 10 lb set too….one day). I like to switch up my routine and sometimes follow an online/pinterest workout and other times use DVDs like Insanity, P90X, Jillian Michaels, or Zumba (yes, I have all of those…it’s a problem). I also do free yoga online and run outside at least 2 times a week. I use a dry-erase calendar (more on that here: http://chelseaeatstreats.com/on-motivation/) to plan my workouts every Sunday night, and then I never miss a workout! I’ve been off of my gym membership for more than a year and so far, so good!
Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats recently posted..OutRun Adventure 3.0 – Row, Bike, Run

35 Stacey M. June 4, 2014 at 1:23 pm

After working out at the gym all last fall, winter and early this past spring, I’m more than ready to take a break from that atmosphere and start working out at home and outdoors more often. At the gym, I’d typically use the elliptical or treadmill for 30 minutes for cardio, then do another 30-45 mins of stretching and strength. I usually tire of that routine by spring – plus, it’s just so nice outdoors that I don’t want to be stuck inside all the time. So now, I’ve been doing a combination of workout DVD’s, biking and running outside, and weight-lifting in my basement. I have the Jillian Michaels DVD “30 Day Shred” that I’ve been loving. I’ll also do HITT workouts on the treadmill if it’s raining or too hot to run outside. I really like the flexibility that I have working out at home now (saves driving time, I get to be outside, I’m not sweating in front of a bunch of people), but I do agree with you in that I’ll probably need to get some more equipment for my “home gym” soon. I’d really like a stability ball and kettlebells … I really miss using those now.

Also, I don’t know if I’ll be able to continue my membership at the gym indefinitely (you never know what you’ll be doing a year from now), so it’s important to me to be able to figure out how to continue to workout and be healthy without a reliance on the gym. I want a workout “plan” that I can rely on for the rest of my life, not just today. I know that I will probably always be able to walk/run on a treadmill and lift weights or use my bodyweight for a good workout so that’s something I always fall back to.

36 Courtney June 4, 2014 at 9:34 pm

You make some awesome points, Stacey! Definitely good to have a “plan” that you can rely on for a while. Sounds like you’ve got a great routine going on! :)

37 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles June 4, 2014 at 1:38 pm

haha I remember the watermelon sherbet thing! I belong to a gym, so I do most of my workouts there…I workout from home maybe once or twice a week.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..WIAW: Photo An Hour.

38 Erin m. June 4, 2014 at 1:39 pm

I’ve always worked out from home. I have alot of dumbbells and a barbell. I also like running and walking. I recently downloaded the Nike training app and like it

39 Courtney June 4, 2014 at 9:33 pm

Isn’t NTC the best?! I love it!

40 Erin m. June 5, 2014 at 5:41 am

Yes! It’s so convenient!

41 ellie @ fit for the soul June 4, 2014 at 1:53 pm

A few years ago I was a completely at-home-workout person, till I moved to an apartment and didn’t want to annoy the people below us, so I got a gym membership. It was really good because it helped me stay in shape during pregnancy, as I used the stepmill to do intervals throughout my whole 9 months!!!! But it got expensive and since I have no time with our little one for that, I’m back to home workouts…but I realllllyyyy couldn’t be happier with this season of fitness! I feel the most balanced, I see more weight loss+muscle results than before, and I seriously incorporate at least 5 diff. types of workouts all throughout the month. But then again, all that might also be from breastfeeding as well. :) Either way, I really enjoy encouraging others to exercise at home too!
ellie @ fit for the soul recently posted..May Favorites

42 Courtney June 4, 2014 at 9:33 pm

Sounds like you’ve got quite a good plan going on – that’s great!!

43 Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit June 4, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Gosh a BLT sounds so good right now – I don’t think I’ve had one in YEARS! I workout in a gym and at home and sometime both in one day – just depends how I’m feeling. I love at home DVDs for the convenience, but sometimes I need to atmosphere of the gym!
Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit recently posted..The Best Fresh Black Bean & Corn Salsa

44 Janessa June 4, 2014 at 2:43 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever seen watermelon sherbet before. :O It looks delish!

I live in a pretty small town, so the one gym we have is crazy expensive (and not worth the price, either) so I work out at home. Gotta keep the treadmill to good use. :)
Janessa recently posted..10 Day You Challenge ~ Day 10

45 Lauryn June 4, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Yummy sherbet! Not warm enough for ice creams over here yet. :-(

I do a combo of workouts: inside, outdoors, gym, pool, home DVDs, etc… Keeps the boredom to a minimum!

Looking for a good Pilates DVD at the minute, any suggestions? :-)

46 Courtney June 4, 2014 at 9:29 pm

I actually have a pretty old one called “On the Ball” by Lizbeth Garcia. It’s not super intense while you’re doing it, but I ALWAYS feel it the next day!

47 Polly @ Tasty Food Project June 4, 2014 at 5:19 pm

That watermelon sherbet looks so good! I normally workout at a gym but sometimes I like to take my workout outside when the weather is nice!
Polly @ Tasty Food Project recently posted..No Mayo Tuna Salad

48 Leigha @ Minougirl June 4, 2014 at 6:46 pm

Lol, I remember the watermelon cravings! Loving all the summery meals!! I’m having a veggie sandwich with a side of asparagus right from my farm right now. Sometimes simple is best!
Leigha @ Minougirl recently posted..WIAW – Food Freedom

49 Sarah @ Sarah Sincerely June 4, 2014 at 8:32 pm

Mmmm…BLT’s just scream summer to me! So does watermelon, but watermelon ice-cream?? Does it get any better??
Sarah @ Sarah Sincerely recently posted..WIAW – an Exercise in Adding Calories

50 Erin June 4, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Totally off topic but since you shared your couscous salad above, I wanted to give you my favorite couscous salad recipe. It’s really simple but delish!

Box of herbed chicken couscous, cooked
About 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken, warm
Handful of fresh basil torn or chopped
2 diced vipe ripe tomatoes
About 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (if I can find it, the tomato basil kind)

While couscous and chicken are still warm, toss everything together and enjoy!

51 Courtney June 4, 2014 at 9:29 pm

OMG that sounds amaaaaaazing! So simple too – thank you!!!

52 Melinda June 4, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Love the yogurt bowls-so filling + healthy! :-)

I’m having a healthy giveaway on my blog for $120 value organic detox kit if you’d like to enter! http://mylifebeingrenewed.blogspot.com/2014/05/raw-green-organics-2-week-detox-system.html

53 Jess @dearhealthyness June 4, 2014 at 10:40 pm

Workout from home? I’m the queen at it!! I love fitness blender, tone it up, blogilates, jillian michaels, most of be fit videos, exercise tv, NTC app, you name it :P I don’t have a partner to exercise with, so I have fun listening to the videos (sometimes cursing them, but only sometimes), and I love going to Marshalls, TJ Maxx, or any place to but new “equipment”
Jess @dearhealthyness recently posted..Juicing

54 Shelly June 8, 2014 at 1:48 am

I must look for that sherbert! I’m obsessed with watermelon!
Shelly recently posted..How to Jump Rope