WIAW: After Dinner Drinks at Softball

Ok, seriously. Is it bedtime yet?

Man have I been tired so far this week! I feel like I’d be tempted to blame it on jetlag from traveling over the weekend, but does three hours really make that much of a difference? Instead, I think I’m better off blaming it on my late night softball game shenanigans from Monday.

Our game was a late one, so we didn’t get started until a little before 8pm. We went into the game knowing that it could potentially be our last one of the season, and there had also been discussion that it may be the last game…ever. Due to lacking players and everyone’s busy schedules, we just weren’t sure we were ready to tackle the team again next year, so the assumption was that this could be it.

Although we lost, the game was great and I even hit my first-ever triple (err, more like a single and got to third on an error…but who’s keeping track?). After the game was over, some of us stayed and hung out for a while to have a couple beers just like we used to. Thanks to my MIL staying home with Lucas, we didn’t have to worry about rushing home to get him to bed for a change.

We were all having such a great time, and when the umpire from the last game played told us he was shutting off the lights, we offered to close up the field ourselves since we weren’t ready to leave. Eventually, myself, Jay, my dad, brother, and a couple other guys on the team wound up back out on the field and just had fun goofing around and doing some batting practice with baseballs until almost 11pm (wayyyy past this granny’s bedtime during the week).

Ultimately, we determined that night that we’re going to keep the team going! My dad started the team back in 2003, as a way for him and I to be able to play together, and we’ve all been playing together every year since.

softballThat’s my dad on the mound and me as his catcher Smile

So yes, while some softball nights get crazy busy and I feel super behind now that we have a kiddo in the house, I think it’s worth the extra frazzle. Because moments like these are ones I’m not quite ready to let go of.

So yeah…I guess that was a bit of a tangent as to why I’m tired, wasn’t it?

Now let’s just get right on in to the rest of today’s post because it’s WIAW!

Breakfast

Apparently my room service oatmeal got me excited enough to make some of my own, so I cooked up a batch of Voluminous Oats.

voluminous oats and starbucks iced coffee

It had been quite a while since I last cooked a batch and I forgot just how stinkin’ GOOD they are. Oh, and so was that grande iced coffee from da ‘Bux. 😉

Mid-Morning Snacks

I kept things simple with a nice, juicy peach and a blueberry Detour SMART bar.

peach

SMART bar

Lunch

I prepped a couple of salads for myself on Sunday, and ended up topping this one with some homemade chicken salad (I made it similar to my favorite sweet tuna salad…just with chicken and light mayo instead of Greek yogurt).

salad

I forgot to add a few things (namely, tomatoes from dad’s garden!) so it wasn’t the greatest. But it worked.

Mid-Afternoon Snacks

A little while after lunch, I was setting up one of our Minute-to-Win-It games at work, which just so happened to incorporate m&m’s this week. So, obviously, I had to snag a handful.

m&m'sIf only they were the pretzel ones!

And shortly after I got home from work, I ended up snacking on a bunch of popcorn while Lucas tried to trade his Cheerios with me instead.

popcorn

Silly boy.

Dinner

Our dinner on Monday night was actually BLT’s with french fries, but it wasn’t all that exciting to look at. So, instead, how ‘bout I share Sunday night’s dinner?

Marinated and grilled steak, baked sweet potatoes with honey butter(!!), and a bag of frozen beans and carrots. It was simple, but perfect after a weekend away with minimal veggies and lots of food ordered out (pretty sure I had at least three Egg White Feta wraps from Starbucks while I was away…anyone else obsessed?)

After Dinner Drinks

While we were at softball, we broke out the coolers and enjoyed a couple of beers both during the game and after.

I wound up having two (Landshark + one of my favorite Sam Adams Porch Rocker’s) and then stole a little more from another one. It tasted good. And it was Monday. Winking smile

Well, that’s a wrap! So let’s chat. Tell me…

• What’s been your favorite beverage of choice this summer?
  • Do you participate on any sports teams (or have you in the past)?
  • What’s your favorite m&m?

Comments

My favorite M&M is peanut with pretzel and plain as close seconds. But man, I have been loving peaches, too! They are so darn good. I even made a smoothie that tasted like peaches and cream yesterday. Summer fruit for the win!
    Brynn recently posted..WIAW: Weekend Eats in Leland

Let me just say that the 3 hour time difference makes all the difference! So you can totally blame it on the jet lag. I had a meeting out in California a few months ago and was so sick the first night we got in just because it was wayyy past my bedtime when everyone was just going out to eat dinner.
    Stacie @ SimplySouthernStacie recently posted..WIAW: Tomatoes Galore!

• Courtney says

Oh man, that sounds awful! I felt that way when we arrived into CA last Thursday. Our dinner reservations weren’t until 8pm (aka, 11pm my time!) so I found myself snacking allll day long :)

That’s so cool that your family played on a baseball team, though! I wish there was a team I could play on! I LOVE baseball!
    My drink of choice has been the different flavors of Mike’s Hard Lemonade. I’m not a big drinker, but these are so tasty!

• Courtney says

I’ve been saying all summer long that I want to get my hands on a good cider. I’ll have to keep my eye out for that one – thanks for the recommendation!

That’s so great about your softball team. I played flag football long ago when I lived in Orlando, but I don’t do any rec sports in San Francisco, where I live now. I’m a white wine girl, but have also enjoyed mint and cucumber flavored vodka beverages lately. I like something clear and refreshing. Happy Wednesday!
    Ashley @ A Lady Goes West recently posted..Colorful fuel for a day of training

5. Elle says

What do you use to pack up your salads? Is that just a regular bowl or some kind of Tupperware contraption? Would love to bring salads for lunch, but I feel like our standard containers are too small.

RE: “pretty sure I had at least Egg White Feta wraps from Starbucks while I was away…anyone else obsessed?” Nope! Anything involving egg whites and some form of cheese pretty much has me on board! Lol :-) I’d probably eat one at least every other day if I could.

Also, how do you prep your salads for the week? I always end up buying the pre-made salad bowl and that can get costly! My fave summer drink has been fresh fruit smoothies and Bolthouse Farms Mocha Cappucinos (on occasion)… YUM!! :-)
    Koryn @ High Heels & Healthy Alternatives recently posted..6 Month Update!!

7. Nicole says

I don’t discriminate with M&M’s. I love them all. :)

Moscow Mules have been have a favorite of mine all summer! Vodka, Ginger Beer, limes, and a sprig of mint. So refreshing!!

8. Fiona says

I love me some Mojitos in the summer, or a white wine spritzer! My friends tell me I have the palate of 90 year old…that’s okay with me :)

I used to play on a sports team called ‘All Sorts of Sport’s where each week we played a different sport from volleyball, soccer, ultimate and volleyball! It was awesome because we always had someone that was good at each sport-though we had an issue with turn out so our team fell apart :(

Fav M &M -why choose one!! Love me some peanut M &M’s through and through but honestly any would work for me..damn ..now I want some M & M’s..chocolate chips will have to do! :)

Love that you are able to play a sport with your dad, that is too sweet!