WIAW: After Dinner Drinks at Softball

by Courtney on August 20, 2014

Ok, seriously. Is it bedtime yet?

Man have I been tired so far this week! I feel like I’d be tempted to blame it on jetlag from traveling over the weekend, but does three hours really make that much of a difference? Instead, I think I’m better off blaming it on my late night softball game shenanigans from Monday.

Our game was a late one, so we didn’t get started until a little before 8pm. We went into the game knowing that it could potentially be our last one of the season, and there had also been discussion that it may be the last game…ever. Due to lacking players and everyone’s busy schedules, we just weren’t sure we were ready to tackle the team again next year, so the assumption was that this could be it.

Although we lost, the game was great and I even hit my first-ever triple (err, more like a single and got to third on an error…but who’s keeping track?). After the game was over, some of us stayed and hung out for a while to have a couple beers just like we used to. Thanks to my MIL staying home with Lucas, we didn’t have to worry about rushing home to get him to bed for a change.

We were all having such a great time, and when the umpire from the last game played told us he was shutting off the lights, we offered to close up the field ourselves since we weren’t ready to leave. Eventually, myself, Jay, my dad, brother, and a couple other guys on the team wound up back out on the field and just had fun goofing around and doing some batting practice with baseballs until almost 11pm (wayyyy past this granny’s bedtime during the week).

Ultimately, we determined that night that we’re going to keep the team going! My dad started the team back in 2003, as a way for him and I to be able to play together, and we’ve all been playing together every year since.

softballThat’s my dad on the mound and me as his catcher Smile

So yes, while some softball nights get crazy busy and I feel super behind now that we have a kiddo in the house, I think it’s worth the extra frazzle. Because moments like these are ones I’m not quite ready to let go of.

So yeah…I guess that was a bit of a tangent as to why I’m tired, wasn’t it?

Now let’s just get right on in to the rest of today’s post because it’s WIAW!

Breakfast

Apparently my room service oatmeal got me excited enough to make some of my own, so I cooked up a batch of Voluminous Oats.

voluminous oats and starbucks iced coffee

It had been quite a while since I last cooked a batch and I forgot just how stinkin’ GOOD they are. Oh, and so was that grande iced coffee from da ‘Bux. ;)

Mid-Morning Snacks

I kept things simple with a nice, juicy peach and a blueberry Detour SMART bar.

peach

SMART bar

Lunch

I prepped a couple of salads for myself on Sunday, and ended up topping this one with some homemade chicken salad (I made it similar to my favorite sweet tuna salad…just with chicken and light mayo instead of Greek yogurt).

salad

I forgot to add a few things (namely, tomatoes from dad’s garden!) so it wasn’t the greatest. But it worked.

Mid-Afternoon Snacks

A little while after lunch, I was setting up one of our Minute-to-Win-It games at work, which just so happened to incorporate m&m’s this week. So, obviously, I had to snag a handful.

m&m'sIf only they were the pretzel ones!

And shortly after I got home from work, I ended up snacking on a bunch of popcorn while Lucas tried to trade his Cheerios with me instead.

popcorn

Silly boy.

Dinner

Our dinner on Monday night was actually BLT’s with french fries, but it wasn’t all that exciting to look at. So, instead, how ‘bout I share Sunday night’s dinner?

Marinated and grilled steak, baked sweet potatoes with honey butter(!!), and a bag of frozen beans and carrots. It was simple, but perfect after a weekend away with minimal veggies and lots of food ordered out (pretty sure I had at least three Egg White Feta wraps from Starbucks while I was away…anyone else obsessed?)

After Dinner Drinks

While we were at softball, we broke out the coolers and enjoyed a couple of beers both during the game and after.

I wound up having two (Landshark + one of my favorite Sam Adams Porch Rocker’s) and then stole a little more from another one. It tasted good. And it was Monday. Winking smile

Well, that’s a wrap! So let’s chat. Tell me…

• What’s been your favorite beverage of choice this summer?
  • Do you participate on any sports teams (or have you in the past)?
  • What’s your favorite m&m?

1 Linz @ Itz Linz August 20, 2014 at 6:24 am

That’s awesome you and your dad have been playing softball together since 2003! I miss sports – softball and soccer the most! Maybe next summer ill join a team again!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Pumping At Work

2 Kim @FITsique August 20, 2014 at 7:03 am

Aww I’m glad you all decided to keep the team together. It seems like such a great tradition. 11pm though? Now that’s just getting crazy. I don’t even see 11 on the weekends anymore!
Kim @FITsique recently posted..You Aren’t Ready To Compete In A Figure Competition

3 Brynn August 20, 2014 at 7:16 am

My favorite M&M is peanut with pretzel and plain as close seconds. But man, I have been loving peaches, too! They are so darn good. I even made a smoothie that tasted like peaches and cream yesterday. Summer fruit for the win!
Brynn recently posted..WIAW: Weekend Eats in Leland

4 Courtney August 20, 2014 at 9:15 am

That sounds amazing!!! Recipe?! (P.S. – ALL of your eats from your WIAW post looked freakin’ delicious!)

5 Brynn August 20, 2014 at 1:40 pm

I am so in love I’m sharing on my blog soon! But it includes peaches, frozen banana, almond milk, chia seeds and a few other goodies. Perfect for these summer days and the beautiful ripe peaches.
Brynn recently posted..WIAW: Weekend Eats in Leland

6 haley @Cupcakes and Sunshine.com August 20, 2014 at 7:28 am

Favorite m&m: i love the original m&ms. the classics have me coming back for handfuls each time. but i love pretzel m&ms as an afternoon snack.

7 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl August 20, 2014 at 7:28 am

Oh… I need some voluminous oats!!! And a sweet potato with honey butter. ;)
Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday: Summer Foods

8 Stacie @ SimplySouthernStacie August 20, 2014 at 7:32 am

Let me just say that the 3 hour time difference makes all the difference! So you can totally blame it on the jet lag. I had a meeting out in California a few months ago and was so sick the first night we got in just because it was wayyy past my bedtime when everyone was just going out to eat dinner.
Stacie @ SimplySouthernStacie recently posted..WIAW: Tomatoes Galore!

9 Courtney August 20, 2014 at 9:14 am

Oh man, that sounds awful! I felt that way when we arrived into CA last Thursday. Our dinner reservations weren’t until 8pm (aka, 11pm my time!) so I found myself snacking allll day long :)

10 kristin @ W [H] A T C H August 20, 2014 at 7:41 am

congrats on the triple!
kristin @ W [H] A T C H recently posted..KAYAK CLAMMING ON THE EASTERN SHORE

11 Courtney August 20, 2014 at 9:14 am

Thanks! :-D

12 Shel@PeachyPalatem August 20, 2014 at 8:11 am

BLT’s with french fries…sounds exciting to me!!! Well done the game play! Do they make Almond M n M’s there? FAVE!

13 Courtney August 20, 2014 at 9:14 am

I believe they do! Although I think they’re a bit harder to come by?

14 Beks August 20, 2014 at 8:36 am

That’s so cool that your family played on a baseball team, though! I wish there was a team I could play on! I LOVE baseball!
My drink of choice has been the different flavors of Mike’s Hard Lemonade. I’m not a big drinker, but these are so tasty!

15 Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections August 20, 2014 at 8:50 am

That dinner looks so good! I need to make steak more. Yum!

My drink of choice this summer has been Down East Cider. I’m not sure how widely distributed it is yet, but if you can get your hands on some it is SO good.

16 Courtney August 20, 2014 at 9:13 am

I’ve been saying all summer long that I want to get my hands on a good cider. I’ll have to keep my eye out for that one – thanks for the recommendation!

17 Megan @ Piece of Kake August 20, 2014 at 9:06 am

Looks like a fun day! Sometimes those late nights are really fun but in the morning it can be a real drag. I always remind myself how much fun I had the night before!
Megan @ Piece of Kake recently posted..Hello and P90X3

18 Tiff @ Love, Sweat, & Beers August 20, 2014 at 9:09 am

Fun! Totally worth losing a little sleep for the game :)
Tiff @ Love, Sweat, & Beers recently posted..Play Hard, Sleep Hard, Eat Hard!

19 Molly August 20, 2014 at 9:10 am

My Sister in Law just told me that there are DARK CHOCOLATE MINT M&M’s … I have been drooling for them ever since and may need to go fetch myself some today … thanks for the reminder!
Molly recently posted..Recipe: Summer Veggie Skillet Medley

20 Courtney August 20, 2014 at 9:13 am

Oooooo, now they sound delicious! Topped on some vanilla ice cream….?!? Drool!

21 Ashley @ A Lady Goes West August 20, 2014 at 9:30 am

That’s so great about your softball team. I played flag football long ago when I lived in Orlando, but I don’t do any rec sports in San Francisco, where I live now. I’m a white wine girl, but have also enjoyed mint and cucumber flavored vodka beverages lately. I like something clear and refreshing. Happy Wednesday!
Ashley @ A Lady Goes West recently posted..Colorful fuel for a day of training

22 Elle August 20, 2014 at 9:44 am

What do you use to pack up your salads? Is that just a regular bowl or some kind of Tupperware contraption? Would love to bring salads for lunch, but I feel like our standard containers are too small.

23 Koryn @ High Heels & Healthy Alternatives August 20, 2014 at 10:04 am

RE: “pretty sure I had at least Egg White Feta wraps from Starbucks while I was away…anyone else obsessed?” Nope! Anything involving egg whites and some form of cheese pretty much has me on board! Lol :-) I’d probably eat one at least every other day if I could.

Also, how do you prep your salads for the week? I always end up buying the pre-made salad bowl and that can get costly! My fave summer drink has been fresh fruit smoothies and Bolthouse Farms Mocha Cappucinos (on occasion)… YUM!! :-)
Koryn @ High Heels & Healthy Alternatives recently posted..6 Month Update!!

24 Koryn @ High Heels & Healthy Alternatives August 20, 2014 at 10:06 am

Oops… I meant “Yes!” not “Nope.” Lol. #MommyBrain Gotta love it!
Koryn @ High Heels & Healthy Alternatives recently posted..6 Month Update!!

25 Lauren @ Confessions of a First Time Mom August 20, 2014 at 11:01 am

Ha! I chuckled when I read that you had three Starbucks wraps while you were away. Whenever I’m away or feeling extra lazy, I default to their turkey bacon breakfast sandwich. What a crazy expensive addiction!
Lauren @ Confessions of a First Time Mom recently posted..Daydreaming about Newborns

26 Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run August 20, 2014 at 11:04 am

oatmeal & iced coffee is the perfect way to start a day!

27 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 20, 2014 at 12:44 pm

I think I need to find some sort of sports team next summer – I miss it! I played soccer in elementary school and field hockey in high school. Field hockey was definitely my favourite!

Favourite M&M – it’s all about the pretzel ones ;-)
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..WIAW: Because You Can’t Stop at One.

28 Nicole August 20, 2014 at 1:04 pm

I don’t discriminate with M&M’s. I love them all. :)

Moscow Mules have been have a favorite of mine all summer! Vodka, Ginger Beer, limes, and a sprig of mint. So refreshing!!

29 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl August 20, 2014 at 1:42 pm

I have that SAME popcorn on my WIAW post today! I love it! It is hard to restrain myself when I eat it ;)
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..WIAW: August 20, 2014 (Recent Eats)

30 Nicole @ Squash on Squash August 20, 2014 at 1:55 pm

That’s so fun that you and your dad play softball together! Softball’s such a great social game.
Used to play soccer, and now it’s just squash, so playing for my University team keeps me pretty busy.
And Peanut M&M’s. Always.
Nicole @ Squash on Squash recently posted..When the Hunger Hits…

31 Lauren @ The Bikini Experiment August 20, 2014 at 2:05 pm

I had the best peach the other day! Loving the summer produce. My go-to Summer beverage of choice is Cold Brew and if it’s a cocktail white wine with a bit of ice. Perfection!

32 Amy August 20, 2014 at 4:43 pm

I finally tried the cookie dough iced coffee from Dunkin’ Donuts the other day and I’ll could think was “what took me so long?!”…it was so stinking good. And also, M&M’s forever!
Amy recently posted..6 Ways to Improve Your Interactions with Disney Characters

33 Erin@Serindipity August 20, 2014 at 9:14 pm

I love the Easter M&Ms! The pink ones are the best! But if I’m munching on regular M&Ms, I like the green ones.
Erin@Serindipity recently posted..Confessions

34 Fiona August 21, 2014 at 7:56 pm

I love me some Mojitos in the summer, or a white wine spritzer! My friends tell me I have the palate of 90 year old…that’s okay with me :)

I used to play on a sports team called ‘All Sorts of Sport’s where each week we played a different sport from volleyball, soccer, ultimate and volleyball! It was awesome because we always had someone that was good at each sport-though we had an issue with turn out so our team fell apart :(

Fav M &M -why choose one!! Love me some peanut M &M’s through and through but honestly any would work for me..damn ..now I want some M & M’s..chocolate chips will have to do! :)

Love that you are able to play a sport with your dad, that is too sweet!