I can’t tell you how long I’ve been wanting to bake something. It had to have been weeks. I kept saying I’d do it some evening, once Lucas is asleep but, quite honestly, once he goes to bed my desire to do much of anything besides veg out on the couch is slim.
So when I found myself with a little extra time while home sick yesterday…and then noticed the ripe bananas on the kitchen counter, I knew I finally had my opportunity.
Now you guys probably already know…I’ve made plenty of banana breads in my day. Most of them were what one might call “healthified,” and unfortunately, many of them occasionally tasted that way too.
So when I set out to make a new loaf of the good stuff, I knew I wanted something that wasn’t going to wind up spongy and overly “healthy,” but I also didn’t want one loaded up with a bunch of butter or oil either.
Lucky for me, I found my happy medium. And not only that, but I decided to get a little crazy and dusted the entire coating of the bread with a sprinkling of cinnamon and sugar.
The result? The most decadent of a slightly sweet and crunchy crust.
But okay…I’ll stop pretending like I’m actually good at coming up with fancy words to describe my foods. How’s this: the bread is freakin delicious. Go make it like, now.
Moist banana bread, without loads of added butter or oil, is coated with a generous sprinkling of cinnamon and sugar, making for a slightly sweet and delicious crunchy crust.
10 minPrep Time
1 hrCook Time
1 hr, 10 Total Time
- 1-1/2 cups mashed bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1 cup plain, non-fat yogurt (I did not use Greek, but I’m sure that would be fine)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (or you could try a mix of 1/2 all purpose, 1/2 whole wheat)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- extra cinnamon and sugar for sprinkling/dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9×5 loaf pan with cooking spray and dust with a light coating of white sugar and cinnamon.
- Combine bananas and yogurt in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla and banana mixture. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; stir into the banana mixture. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle top of batter with extra cinnamon and sugar.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean. Enjoy!