Isn’t it strange how a certain smell can conjure a specific memory out of nowhere?
Well that’s exactly what happened to me this morning as I was preparing my peanut butter-laden breakfast.
Growing up, I can remember one of my dad’s favorite breakfasts (and snacks) was a warm, toasted English muffin with peanut butter. The peanut butter would be spread on so thick, that by the time he was halfway through, it would be oozing down the sides and onto his plate…or in his mustache. That was always fun.
Now you guys all know that peanut butter is no stranger around these parts, but there’s just something about the smell of it on a toasty English muffin that brings back all of those memories.
Another smell that occasionally grabs my attention and gets me feeling all nostalgic is my linen closets. Living now in what used to be my grandparents’ old house, I’ll often get a big ‘ol whiff of what smells like my grandmother’s laundry. It’s pretty crazy!
So that actually got me thinking, and I have quite a few scents that I associate with various memories…
- Fancy Love perfume by Jessica Simpson – my wedding day
- Tanning Towelettes – my roommate, Eileen, in college (HAHA, Eileen!)
- Kettle Corn – baseball games – specifically, Valley Cats games
- Southern Comfort – a bad night at college…
- Bath & Body Works Candy Apple & Sun-Ripened Raspberry Scents – being in middle school
- Abercrombie cologne – dating Jay back in high school
Now that I’ve already got my workout done for the day (Jillian Michael’s Six-Week 6 Pack Abs + 20 mins kickboxing), my breakfast ready, and my coffee mug filled, it’s time to tackle this Monday!
Question for the Day:
What scents or smells do you associate with certain memories?