This little patriotic dessert is perfect for your next holiday gathering!
One of my absolute favorite desserts to make for Memorial Day and the 4th of July is this Stars and Stripes Sugar Cookie Cake.
The sugar cookie base can be whipped up super quick and, honestly, I’d say that the most time consuming task is probably washing, drying, and cutting all of your fruit.
But it’s totally worth it, if you ask me. Because this. cake. rocks.
Another perk of this recipe is that you could totally make the sugar cookie base a little ahead of time. That way, if you want to the topping to stay fresh, just wait until the morning of your festivities to finish it off with the frosting and fruit.
30 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 1 cup butter
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 tsp clear vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 2-3/4 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 50 blueberries
- 1 pint strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 10x15x1 baking pan with foil.
- Combine butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and extracts until thoroughly combined.
- In separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture, 1 cup at a time to wet ingredients.
- Press dough mixture into pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely.
- Once cookie mixture is cooled, mix together softened cream cheese, powdered sugar, & lemon zest with electric mixer until smooth. Spread evenly over cooled cookie.
- Arrange berries on cream cheese mixture to resemble the flag. (*If you use raspberries instead of strawberries, youâ??ll be more likely to be able to fit all 13 â??stripesâ? on the flag â?? the strawberries were too big to fit the proper number)
If you don’t like strawberries, you could always substitute in raspberries, too!
Either way, it’s hard just having one piece, that’s for sure.
Looking for more recipes to try with your sugar cookie cake?