The other day, I was having a conversation with another girl at work about food. Yeah, no surprise there, right? We ended up talking about various foods that have been deemed “superfoods” in the world of nutrition.
She told me that she was curious about foods that could help get rid of some extra belly fat, so I decided to do a little research on my own. As it turns out, there ARE superfoods out there that are said to help get rid of belly fat AND rev up your metabolism.
Even more exciting to find out? I’ve been eating ALL of ‘em! Have YOU?
Bananas are loaded with potassium, which helps limit the amount of sodium in your body, which is a major culprit of belly bloat.
- Toss one into a smoothie, such as my Blueberry Banana Smoothie.
- Slice one on top of a batch of some Protein Pancakes.
- Whip half of a banana into a batch of Banana French Toast Oatmeal.
- Slice one into a bowl of whole grain cereal with almond milk and chia seeds.
- Top a whole grain English muffin with a tablespoon of nut butter and some bananas slices.
Speaking of whole grains…it’s another superfood!
Complex carbs, such as whole wheat bread and whole grain pastas, help keep insulin levels low thanks to the extra fiber.
- Include 1/2 cup quinoa or brown rice as a side dish with your dinner, such as this one.
- Make a quinoa bowl packed with lots of fresh veggies and protein.
- Try out my Roasted Veggie & Wheatberry Salad.
- Buy whole grain English muffins and top with some nut butter and fruit or make an egg and cheese sandwich.
Oranges are a vitamin C powerhouse! Foods rich in vitamin C help curb fat absorption, and studies have shown that low levels of the nutrient can be linked to bigger waistlines. 75 milligrams a day is all you need.
If you’ve been reading at all for the past couple weeks, then you already know that I am completely HOOKED on cara cara oranges. They are so incredibly sweet and delicious. I just can’t get enough of them!
Thanks to the antioxidant compound EGCG, sipping on three cups of green tea a day may rev your metabolism enough to burn 30 extra calories!
I haven’t always been a huge fan of green tea, but often times, it’s just about finding one that you like. I recently came across this Celestial Seasonings Honey Lemon Ginseng Green Tea and I think it’s great.
Spinach is loaded with nutrients, including both calcium and vitamin C; it is said that diets that are low in these two nutrients can increase your odds of gaining belly fat.
- Try it in a wrap with turkey, veggies, and hummus.
- Mix it into a quinoa bowl with diced tomatoes, onions, and chicken sausage.
- Toss it in a smoothie to make a Green Monster. You won’t even taste it!
- Jazz up canned soup by adding a couple handfuls of fresh spinach leaves.
- OR, try making a batch of my Spinach Lentil Soup.
Yogurt encourages the growth of good bacteria in your belly while getting rid of the bloat-causing kind. Opt for low-fat, plain varieties, with a Live & Active Cultures seal.
My favorite way to enjoy yogurt is in a big ‘ol yogurt bowl. Mix it with lots of fresh fruit, whole grain cereal, granola, and spices.
(I spy two extra superfoods up there!)
How many superfoods have you incorporated into your meals today??