I first made a batch of these muffins last week, and when I found myself with even more ripe bananas this past weekend, I just had to make them again.
I’ve found that muffins can be rather tricky with my family. Unless it has some sort of chocolate in it lately, Lucas isn’t interested. And if the texture tastes too “healthy” for Jay, then he’s not interested either. So then I wind up with a dozen muffins to eat all by myself.
But not this time!
Although I don’t really know if the chocolate was the trick with these for him, I’m pretty sure they played a huge factor. Especially because, ever since he helped me make those cookie bars, he’s obsessed with “chaw-cheeps” (chocolate chips).
Ok buddy, you got it.
As for Jay, he also requested a second batch of them, so I know that means they were a hit with both of my guys.
If you’re looking for a “healthy” muffin recipe, you’re not going to find that here today. In fact, I’m sort of over a lot of the healthy muffins lately because, yes, many of them do wind up with a bit of a weird texture. And sometimes, it’s nice to just go ahead and bake the real thing…everything in moderation, right?
Just as long as moderation is at least two at a time for me.
So if you’re feeling spunky, and you’ve got some extra ripe bananas lying around, go ahead and give these a whirl. And, if possible, make sure you use the mini chocolate chips, too. They’re sort of my thing lately, because I love the way you can use slightly less, yet they’re so nicely dispersed throughout the whole muffin (or cookie bar!). If you do, let me know what you think!
Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
(Slightly adapted from this recipe)
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour (*I used white whole wheat)
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3 medium-large ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup almond milk (any milk would do)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line 12-16 muffin cups with liners (I got 16 out of mine the first time, 13 the second time).
- In a large bowl, mix flours, sugars, baking powder, and salt. Add chocolate chips until coated and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix melted butter, mashed bananas, egg, almond milk, and vanilla extract.
- Gently stir wet ingredients into dry until just combined – do not overmix!
- Fill each muffin cup 3/4 full and bake until muffins are firm on top, about 25-30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
What is your favorite type of muffin? Do you like to bake a healthier muffin, or do you prefer a simple, real thing?
If you’ve got any favorites, feel free to share ‘em below!
*Blue Apron Giveaway Winners*
Thanks to everyone who entered the giveaway, and congrats to the 3 lucky winners:
Winners, be sure to email me at email@example.com so I can hook you up with your free meals!