When it comes to dessert, anything with chocolate or frosting is usually right at the top of my list. However, there is one special treat that has always held a special place in my heart dessert belly: Apple Crisp.
It’s one of my favorite fall-weather treats to make! I’ve been using the same recipe for years, and to be honest, I really don’t remember where it came from?!?
I’ve had it written on this index card, and I’m not sure if I came up with it on my own or if I took it from somewhere? Who knows! :shock: But anyways, let’s get to the good stuff, shall we?
First, you’ll need to peel, core, and slice your apples. Or go ahead and use your apple peeler and make things a whole lot easier on yourself. If you don’t have one, you should really consider it. Here’s the one that I have, from Bed, Bath & Beyond: Apple Peeler/Corer.
Next, mix together your flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon,
and sprinkle over your sliced apples.
Let them cook for about 10 minutes, just to get slightly soft and super aromatic. :-P
While your apples are in the oven, begin mixing together your topping (aka, the best part of apple crisp EVER).
Cinnamon + Nutmeg…
Once your dry ingredients are combined, it’s time to cut in your butter. If you have a pastry cutter, then I would recommend using that. But if not, I’ve found that a couple forks work pretty well.
Truth be told, this step is the one and only step that prevents me from making apple crisp more often. I despise cutting in butter in recipes! :shock:
After what seems like an eternity (but really only a couple minutes…I just like to whine about it) you’ll have a soft, crumbly topping.
But you’re not done yet! It’s time to add the OATS:
Nowwww you’re good to go. Feel free to sample at this time…you know…just in case. ;)
Spread your mixture evenly on top of your partially baked apples, and pop it all in the oven for another 30-35 minutes.
Then you’ve got yourself one tasty dish of apple crisp!
My favorite way to enjoy my apple crisp is when it’s still warm, topped with a little vanilla ice cream + caramel…
It’s absolutely HEAVENLY! :-P
This apple crisp has been a favorite for years. The brown sugar and oat mixture makes it so crunchy and filling and since it all comes together in just about an hour, it's perfect any night of the week.
15 minPrep Time
50 minCook Time
1 hr, 5 Total Time
- 2-1/2 lbs. tart apples, peeled & thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 6 tbsp cold butter or margarine
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place sliced apples evenly into the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish, sprayed lightly with non-stick cooking spray. In a small bowl, mix brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly over sliced apples. Bake for 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Cut in butter, using a pastry cutter or forks. Stir in oats (and nuts if desired) and spread evenly over the top of your apples.
- Cook for 30-40 minutes longer, or until lightly golden brown. ENJOY!
The apple crisp is definitely best served warm, and topped with some vanilla ice cream or whipped topping. Try your best not to eat the whole dish in one sitting. ;)