This Easy Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole is absolutely perfect for busy weeknights. Just a few simple ingredients to throw together and you’ve got yourself a meal that can be on the table in no time!
Every once in a while, I come across a super old post of mine that makes me cringe just a little bit. Okay, actually a lot. And just recently, it was a post for this very recipe…but the post was just…no. It was from about 3 months into blogging and, well, it was full of different colored fonts, smiling faces galore, gross photos, and about a gazillion exclamation points.
I may still be a work in progress (I do love my exclamation points!!), but I’d like to think that this post will represent this delicious, easy cheesy chicken and rice recipe just a little bit better.
It comes together in no time, too, which is amazing for busy weeknights. Definitely my kinda recipe!
And if at all possible, take the extra two minutes and freshly shred a block of good cheddar. While the pre-shredded stuff is good in a pinch (I used some up on this recipe, too), freshly shredded just makes SUCH a big difference.
After a quick cooking in the oven, you’ll have dinner ready and waiting for you. Just pair it with a simple side salad or veggie, and you’ve got yourself a complete meal.
I’d like to say it was good for our whole family, but our picky eating toddler wouldn’t touch it. SO, I’ll tell you that it was perfect for the adults over here, and hopefully, if you’ve got kiddos then they’re less picky than ours. ;)
Easy Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole
- 2-3 skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 1-1/2 cups instant brown rice
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can reduced-sodium condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups salsa
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook brown rice according to directions on box.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease an 7×11 inch baking dish.
- Meanwhile, season chicken breasts with salt and pepper, place into a large saucepan, and fill with water until just covered.
- Bring chicken to a boil, and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until done. Remove chicken from water and cut into bite-size pieces.
- In a medium bowl, mix together cream of chicken soup, onion, and salsa.
- Layer 1/2 of the rice, 1/2 of the chicken, 1/2 of the soup and salsa mixture, and 1/2 of the cheese in prepared dish. Repeat layers, ending with cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes, or until bubbly. Enjoy!
What types of recipes do you look for when cooking on weeknights? Quick and easy? Few ingredients? Or are you more about gourmet cooking?