So good news is that this work week has already started off to be so much better than last week. Bad news is that poor Mr. Lucas definitely has something. Pretty sure it’s just your standard cold, but the poor guys has some bad congestion, making it tough for him to sleep. Let’s just hope this all passes quickly, because we’ve got a busy week over here this week.
But besides that, I’ve actually got some food talk for you guys today. Specifically, a delicious new-to-me recipe that I absolutely fell in LOVE with. Last week when my brother came over to visit, I made dinner for the three of us and it just turned out awesome.
I wanted something that was going to require zero time standing over the stove, so I started looking into some various casserole options. Then, after asking Jay if he had any preferences, he actually had one (this never happens) and requested chicken and biscuits.
Originally, I was thinking I’d do my Easy Crockpot Chicken and Biscuits but soon realized that a) I didn’t have enough time, and b) I didn’t have the ingredients for it. But I’m actually glad, because then I never would have made this totally delish Chicken and Biscuit Casserole.
It was actually suuuuper easy to make, and it also delivers all of the flavor without any sort of condensed soups or pre-packed mixes. Win win, if you ask me!
I originally found this recipe and made a few minor tweaks to it, including cutting down the serving sizes. So in the end it, it ended up being perfect for feeding three adults.
This meal would also be a perfect weeknight meal, especially if you take care of some of the prep ahead of time (i.e., chopping veggies, etc.). I made mine early in the day (minus the biscuit part) and just popped it in the fridge until we were ready to cook it. Easy peasy.
Chicken and Biscuit Casserole
- Prep Time: ~10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Servings: 3
- 2 tbsp butter (or olive oil)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped baby carrots
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes*
- 1/2 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 cups diced, cooked chicken
For the biscuit topping:
- 1 cup Bisquick baking mix
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/3 cup milk
*I really loved the flavor of the bouillon cubes, but you could always substitute 2 cups of chicken broth instead. If using bouillon cubes, boil the 2 cups of water and stir in cubes until they dissolve.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a 9×9 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Cook and stir the garlic, onion, celery, and carrots in butter until tender. Mix in the flour, sugar, salt, dried basil, and pepper. Stir in bouillon broth, and bring to a boil. Stirring constantly, boil 1 minute, reduce heat, and stir in frozen mixed veggies. Simmer 5 minutes, then mix in chicken. Transfer mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine the baking mix and remaining dried basil. Stir in milk to form a dough. Divide the dough into 6 to 8 mini balls, slightly flatten, and place on top of chicken mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Cover with foil, and bake for 10 more minutes. Serve and enjoy!