It should come as no surprise that I love sweet treats. Sometimes, I enjoy spending hours in the kitchen, mixing batters from scratch, testing different recipes and making fully homemade baked goods for my family, friends and co-workers.
But those times are few and far between. So, recipes that offer baking shortcuts but delicious, crave-worthy treats are always going to catch my eye.
Soda cupcakes are a quick and easy way to whip up some seriously delicious treats.
Plus, there are so many combinations you can try!
First, let’s talk about what a soda cake is. It combines a store-bought cake mix with a soft drink. It’s simple but once you try it, I think you’ll be hooked!
The measurements couldn’t be easier — one box of cake mix and 12 ounces of soda. I usually use a can but if you have a bottle, just measure out the 12 ounces. You can choose any flavors you want (and I have some options below that I think work perfectly).
- One box of cake mix
- 12 ounces of flavored soda
- Pour cake mix into large mixing bowl.
- Dump 12oz. can of diet soda in with cake mix.
- Mix together with an electric mixer.
- Bake according to directions on the box!
*Optional: Add 1-2 egg whites (I added one, for a little extra “fluff”)
For this attempt, I used diet orange soda and french vanilla cake mix. These bad boys went into a 325 degree oven for about 17 minutes, and came out looking puffy and lovely!
Normally, my favorite soda cake combination is devil’s food cake and wild cherry Diet Pepsi. But really, the possibilities are ENDLESS!This technique for easy soda cupcakes just takes two ingredients. I love kitchen shortcuts! Click To Tweet
Easy Soda Cupcake Combinations
- angel or yellow cake + diet orange soda
- banana cake mix + diet root beer
- cherry chip cake + A& W diet Cream soda
- chocolate cake or devils food + diet pepsi
- chocolate cake + diet vanilla coke
- chocolate cake + diet root beer
- lemon cake mix + diet 7-up
- lemon cake + diet ginger ale
- lemon + diet lemon
- marble cake + diet cream soda
- red velvet + diet cherry vanilla Dr Pepper
- spice cake + diet lemon-lime
- spice cake + diet orange
- white cake + diet ginger ale
- white cake + diet orange
- white cake + diet sprite
- yellow cake + diet orange
To go along with what I like to call my “Creamsicle Cupcakes”, I decided to make some of my own vanilla buttercream frosting. There is definitely no way around the fact that this frosting is NOT healthy…but it’s out of this world!
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
– 1/2 cup butter, softened
– 3 cups confectioners sugar
– 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
– 1-3 tbsp milk
Cream together butter and sugar. Add vanilla and 1 tbsp. milk. Continue to add milk until desired consistency is achieved. (I ended up using almost 3 tbsp). And then I ended up with THESE!
I was really hoping I had orange sprinkles somewhere to go along with my “orange” cupcakes, but no such luck. Oh well! At least they match the liners! :)
I broke out the pastry bag to do some “fancy frosting”! :-D
One of the best parts about soda cakes is that they’re SO MOIST! Look at how soft and spongy these are!
Have you ever tried or heard of Soda Cakes? What flavor combo would you most like to try?? :-D