1. Jay is sort of winning in the hubby department these past few days. Yesterday, he comes home with these beautiful flowers, just because (which is rare!).
2. Then, he made THE most amazing dinner earlier this week.
It was my MIL’s birthday and we were trying to decide if we should go out or stay in, but when Jay said he’d cook up some good steaks, I knew that’d be our best bet. He bought a couple of NY strip steaks, marinated and grilled them perfectly, and then served the steak with some garlic herb butter, roasted potatoes, and roasted asparagus. Gahhh, it was so, so good.
2. And since we stayed in for dinner, we decided to go out after for some birthday ice cream at Mac’s Drive-In.
Homemade ice cream is always my jam, and theirs is some of my favorite. That delicious cone was a mix of cookie dough + “cookie monster” which was vanilla ice cream (colored blue…) with Oreos and cookie dough. Amazing.
3. Oh, and in case you didn’t already know, the boys both aged like 5 years each recently…
Seriously, they look so OLD to me here?!
4. While we took a couple of years off, we did have a bit of a tradition for a while there where we went to Mac’s for my MIL’s birthday, and I was excited to see that they still had the same little rides there so I could make Lucas sit it in again for a little comparison picture. Take a look!
I wonder how many years I’ll be able to make him recreate this picture for me? Until he can no longer fit inside?!
5. So you all know how obsessed Alex is with his baby doll, but his obsession for babies is not just restricted to the stuffed and/or plastic varieties. Alex goes nuts any time he sees two of the younger kiddos (“babies”) on our street, and was in his glory when he was able to hang out with baby Griff for a earlier this week after getting home from work/daycare.
Smiles from ear to ear!
6. That same day also resulted in an impromptu glass of champagne for a few of the ladies and a couple of beers for the guys, all before getting inside to make dinner. Those days always tend to make dinner a little crazy, but they’re SO worth it! The boys are happy with something quick and easy, and Jay and I decided to save our dinner for once they were in bed.
We got a Blue Apron delivery this week, and these Spiced Chicken Quesadillas were great.
7. A bit shout out going out to my dad today, who just went through knee replacement surgery yesterday. Here’s hoping the “new knee” will allow you to keep up with those two crazy grandsons of yours, and get you back out on the bowling lanes soon, Big Guy! <3
8. My MIL picked up this kids cook book the other day, and Lucas and I had a great time looking through it and picking out some recipes to make. The one he decided that we needed to try first was these Apple Cinnamon Turnovers.
Most likely because I said they’d probably be like his favorite apple toaster strudels… ; ) We’ll see how the cooking goes!
9. I stopped by the mall earlier this week to return something to Old Navy and then walked quickly through DSW to browse through their boots. I did a number on pretty much ALL of my boots last year, so I’m definitely in the market for some new ones. Here are a few of my favorites…
Edited to add: I wound up purchasing the Sam Edelman + Indigo Rd. booties after seeing DSW has the promo code FEELINGFALL right now!
10. I’ve never been much into podcasts up until recently. I started by listening to Gina’s, which is great, and then I found a few episodes from the RISE podcast by Rachel Hollis (because I have a bit of a girl crush on her just like just about everyone else I talk to these days!) and loved them. Then earlier this week, I listened to a couple episodes from the RISE Together podcast which is both Rachel and her husband, Dave, and holy crap, I’m obsessed. Seriously. In particular, I feel like everyone needs to listen to their episode, You Have to Fail to Grow.
My. GOODNESS. I finished listening to that one and, wow, talk about igniting a spark. It left me wanting to do ALL. THE. THINGS. and just wanting to do better. I told Jay that he absolutely needed to listen to it, too. It was incredible! Anyone else listen??
Alright that’s all I’ve got for today! I hope you all have a fabulous Friday and a wonderful weekend ahead, whatever you may be doing <3