Being that today is the first day of spring and all, I made you guys some delicious, spring-like muffins.
Actually, I guess I technically made myself these muffins, but I’m hoping that by my sharing them, you’ll end up making a batch of your own. I’m “planting the seed,” if you will.
I’ve been wanting to bake up a batch of muffins for a couple of weeks now, but I kept putting it off since I wasn’t quite sure exactly what I wanted to make. But then, out of nowhere this morning, it hit me. I knew exactly what I wanted to make…and the most exciting part is that there’s sooo much more going on here than meets the eye.
I’m so sneaky.
The other day, I finally ended up finding some of the new Laughing Cow Strawberries & Cream Cream Cheese Spread at the grocery store. I picked it up, not quite knowing what I wanted to do with it at the time, since I don’t eat bagels with cream cheese very often. So you know what I can do with it?
I can use it to make these Double Strawberry Cream Cheese Filled Muffins, that’s what. And better yet? They’re healthier, too!
(Healthy) Double Strawberry Cream Cheese Filled Muffins
(Adapted from my “Wouldn’t Know They’re Healthy Blueberry Muffins)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 14-17 minutes
- Yield: 12 muffins
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup strawberries, chopped
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup buttermilk*
- 1/2 cup strawberry Greek yogurt (I used Chobani)
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Strawberry Cream Cheese Filling Ingredients:
- 5 wedges of The Laughing Cow Strawberries & Cream Cream Cheese Spread**
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
*If you don’t have actual buttermilk on hand, combine 1/2 tbsp lemon juice with 1/2 cup milk and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
**You can also substitute 4 oz. of light strawberry and/or plain cream cheese for the Laughing Cow wedges.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners or spray with non-stick cooking spray (you can also spray the liners lightly).
- In a small bowl, combine cream cheese wedges, egg white, and vanilla and mix well. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the first 9 muffin ingredients. Gently stir in strawberries. In a separate bowl, mix together the remaining 6 wet ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, stirring just until combined. *Do NOT over mix!*
- Spoon into muffin cups, filling half way to the top. Add about 2 teaspoons of cream cheese filling to each muffin. Top with remaining muffin batter.
- Bake for 14-17 minutes, or until the tops of the muffins spring back when lightly touched. Remove from pan and allow to cool on wire rack. ENJOY!
Just like their blueberry cousins, these babies are knockyoursocksoffamazing.
Definitely the perfect way to celebrate the arrival of spring if you ask me.
Question for the Afternoon:
What’s your all-time favorite muffin? The best you’ve EVER had?