Thank you to Ricola® Herb & Throat drops for sponsoring this post as part of an ongoing campaign with Socialstars. #swissherbs
As much as I love fall, let’s be honest…fall also has its downsides. Specifically, the start of cold and flu season.
Colds are something I’ve come to expect once the cooler weather starts to hit. And with Lucas at a babysitter (where there are kids with older siblings who go to school), he wound up with his first traces of a cold the week after school started around here. Go figure?! Sick kiddos are definitely no fun…and either are sick husbands.
You feel me there, ladies??
As part of my partnership with Ricola®, they’ve invited me to put together a “cold and flu basket” that includes all of the essentials for my family. I thought it was a pretty cool idea, but also a good opportunity for me to take stock of what we have in the house now, since moving left us with stuff everywhere.
So, a few basics…
- Neti pot / sinus rinse – feels super weird while you do it, but it feels great after!
- Ice bag – in case of fever
- Water – and LOTS of it!
- Inhalers – this is just for me, but colds always = increased asthma symptoms
- Antibacterial hand gel – gotta keeps the germs away. I also use this one from the Honest Co. and keep it in Lucas’s room.
- Ricola® Dual Action Honey Lemon drops – They’ve got the Ricola signature blend of Chrüterchraft, natural menthol, and soothing honey lemon syrup center, to provide natural relief for cough and sore throats. Plus, they taste great, too.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – From Prevention, “Adding a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, or lemon juice, to a glass of water helps to alkalinize the body. Creating an alkaline environment helps kill bacteria and viruses. Start drinking it at the first sign of illness and repeat several times a day until the symptoms subside.” I’ve also blogged about ACV before HERE and HERE!
- Honey – good for sore throats and many other fun things, too
- Salt – bringing it back old school…sometimes a little gargle with salt water (1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt dissolved in an 8-ounce glass of warm water) can temporarily relieve a sore or scratchy throat.
- Tissues – omg, the amount of tissues I use when I get sick….
- Vitamins – I’ve been taking prenatal vitamins since before I got pregnant with Lucas so I just stick with those for now, and I just recently got Lucas these Olly multi + probiotic Vitamin Gummies and he absolutely LOVES them.
- Young Living Essential Oils – I swear, the more I use my YL essential oils, the more I love them. Lately, the oils I tend to use most for colds (for the whole family) are R.C. (Respiratory & Congestion), Peppermint, Thieves, Lemon, and Purification.
I either mix them with a carrier oil, like coconut oil, or diffuse them in our bedrooms for about 10 minutes shortly before bedtime.
They really are wonderful, and smell amazing, too!
So, there’s a look at my “arsenal” for this cold and flu season.
…and of course, unpictured is wine because that basically cures everything, right?
How about you guys? What are some of your favorite go-to’s when it comes to combating colds and the flu??