This Low Fat Crockpot Veggie Stew is the perfect recipe to make on a chilly Sunday to have for the rest of the week!
Crockpot meals are absolute favorites of ours over here. Jay and I really enjoyed the Burgundy Beef Stew that I made last week, so I decided another stew creation was in order. I didn’t have any beef on hand this time, however, so I just raided the veggie drawer and created a veggie stew!
I actually started prepping the stew last night by chopping up all of my veggies and placing them in the crockpot. (That’s why they may look a little dry…)
I gave it a quick stir, turned the crockpot on low, and I was out the door!
Nine hours later, I walked through the door only to be greeted with the most amazing aromas roaming in the air. Ahhh, hello dinner! 🙂
Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life
15 minPrep Time
8 hrCook Time
8 hr, 15 Total Time
- 4 medium red potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 celery stalks, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 carrots, peeled & cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 parsnips, peeled & cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 white onion, sliced
- 1 can (15 oz.) Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsp water
- Place the cut up veggies into the crockpot, followed by the tomatoes, chicken broth, & seasonings.
- Cover and cook on Low, 8-10 hours.
- In small bowl, mix cornstarch and water and stir into stew until blended. Increase heat setting to High. Cover and cook about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until thickened. ENJOY!
You could always add in a protein of choice, if you desire!
On another positive, and super-exciting note…I’m making progress with the bread machine!
On Saturday night, while our friends Joe & Kate were over visiting, I enlisted Kate’s services with the bread machine (she’s made some amazing bread!). We whipped up a simple loaf of white bread – figured we should keep things easy to start!
While my loaf still sunk a little bit, it came out of the pan in one piece, so HEY, there’s a HUGE step in the right direction! Jay and I snacked on some yesterday with breakfast, and I knew it would go perfect with tonight’s stew.
And to spread on our bread, I even mixed up a little impromptu herb butter!
Using about 2 tbsp light whipped butter, I added a dash (no measuring) of:
- garlic powder
- ground mustard
- Italian seasoning
- lemon juice
It turned out pretty good! Heck, everything turned out pretty good! I am a happy camper! 😉
Tonight’s dessert will be another small piece of Wedding Cake, enjoyed while watching the premier of The Bachelor…
Life Is Good 🙂
Question for the Evening:
Has your 2011 gotten off to a great start?!?