Typically, I just post Lucas’s updates on the Baby Tooth page, but seeing as we’ve reached quite a milestone, I decided to post to it here.
I never thought the day would come where I’d get to say that I’m the proud mama of a one year old.
But, here we are, and my little baby has warped into a full blown little boy. Man, what a year! This little boy has brought more love into my life than I ever thought I’d be able to experience, and while I could probably go on and on about all of my emotions, I’ll save that for another time and stick with the usual updates!
Weight & Height: At Lucas’s 1 year appointment, he weighed in at 23.1lbs (50th percentile), proving that our unofficial weight was probably not too accurate last month, and is 31 inches long (between 75th-90th percentile).
Eating: Lucas’s eating changed a little bit this past month, and he’s actually “cut back” a bit on his meal time noshing. Where we could once basically put anything in front of him on his tray and he’d scarf it down in record timing, he’s now showing a bit of preference for certain things (or some days, ALL the things).
Some staples that I can almost always count on him eating would be:
- fruit of any kind (this child LOVES his fruit!)
- peanut butter and jelly sandwiches
- pasta and/or mac & cheese
- peas and carrots (I buy the frozen bags of them and they’re perfect since they’re already bite-sized!)
- yogurt (ohmygodddd he loves his yogurt)
- Cheerios (all day, every day)
- turkey meatballs
- homemade sauce and meatballs
- corn on the cob (mostly just gnawing on the ear)
- ice cream cake!
We also discovered this past month that the child doesn’t like cake. Or frosting. Crazy little thing!
As I mentioned previously, we stopped nursing just a couple of weeks shy of his first birthday. He made the transition great, and neither of us ran into any issues (minus the fact that my boobs shrunk like crazy…but that’s for another day). Lucas now gets a sippy cup of whole milk in the morning upon waking (5ish ounces), another sippy cup in the afternoon (5ish ounces), and then one bottle at bedtime (6 ounces). At first, I was adamant about getting rid of that bottle (gah, I’m so done with them!) but Lucas REALLY loves that bottle so I’m not quite ready to take it away from him just yet. He’s been pretty good about transitioning things when he’s ready (umm, minus the crib sleeping thing), but I’m going to give it a little more time. Especially since it’s one of the only times he’ll now sit and semi-cuddle with me. Selfish? Maybe.
Sleeping (naps): Naps remain to be fairly consistent, and he’s still napping really well on the weekends, too. Most days Lucas will take two naps, usually between 9:30-10am and 2:30-3:30pm (depends on when he last woke up) and each one lasts about an hour and a half to 2 hours (although sometimes 2-1/2 hours on the weekends). There’s been a few times recently where he’s boycotted his afternoon nap, which I expected to be disastrous, but he wound up being fine and just needed a slightly earlier bedtime at night. He takes a paci during his naps and sleeps with his lovey.
Sleeping (at night): Still doing great! Lucas sleeps through the night, going down between 7:30–8pm and usually wakes up around 7:00am. He takes a paci at night, too, and sleeps with his lovey and blankie.
Clothing: All 12 month clothing, size 3 shoes, and size 4 diapers.
New this month:
- Walking. Or, actually, more like running. The child has picked up the pace and has anyone spending time with him on the move. It’s exciting and exhausting, and I love every second of it.
- New teeth! He now has two on bottom, two on top, and a third coming through on the top next to one of his middle ones. They don’t appear to bother him too bad (knock on wood).
- Waving to say “Hi” and “Bye,” We’ll say things like “Can you wave?” “Say hello!” or “Wave bye bye!” and he’ll almost always do it on demand.
- Blowing kisses! Finally! It started out as him really just making noises with his hand up and back to his mouth, but somehow, it turned into blowing kisses and he’ll now do it fairly consistently.
- Giving kisses! This one doesn’t happen quite as often, but when he decides he wants to give you a kiss, he’ll usually give you about four in a row. Open mouth, nice and slobbery.
- Obsessed with things that “open and close,” like cabinets, doors, and the microwave. Seriously…the microwave is one of his favorite things right now!
Nicknames: Bubs, Bubba, Mister, Mister Man, bulldozer
- Walking and being on the MOVE!
- All. of. the. food.
- Reading books, although he’ll usually only sit through the whole book at bedtime
- His teddy (a lovey he sleeps with)
- Mickey Mouse
- Theme songs to any cartoon or commercial
- Being snuck up on
- Playing with shape sorter blocks
- Splashing in the tub
- Climbing stairs…ay yi yi
- Swinging in his swing
- Playing at his water table
Lucas dislikes (most of the usuals…):
- Getting his face and hands wiped after eating
- Getting ready for bedtime, but only when he has to lay down on his changing table
- When mommy leaves the room too suddenly or is busy doing something
- Getting his diaper changed
- The pool…he’s sort of weird about it, actually. He’ll be alright if we hold him while we’re in it, but he hates being put down and/or in a float.
Lucas, this has undoubtedly been the best year of my entire life. Thank you for being the sweetest, happiest, little boy. Your daddy and I love you to the moon and back, always and forever. <3