Two-thirds of a year old. Is that really a thing? Well, it is now!
Our little sweet pea is a whopping 8 months old today and man, is he growing up quickly on us. Not only is he a wicked speedy crawler, but even his mannerisms and the way he interacts with us now is changing. He’s slowly becoming less and less of an itty bitty baby and more and more of a little boy…which both saddens me and excites me all at the same time.
Also not quite sure what’s going on with his hair here…kinda funky, huh?
Weight & Height: When I brought Lucas in to the doc last week when he was sick, he weighed in at about 18lbs 10oz. Jay and I forgot to measure Squirmy McSquirmerson’s length…we’ll have to try that soon because I’m curious.
Eating: Still going so well! We’re still pretty much following the same eating/bottle/ nursing schedule as last month, and although things we’re a little thrown off while he was sick, we seem to be back on track.
We introduced a couple more new foods this month, some of which he hasn’t been a fan of (foods with a * are new this month):
- bananas (just mashed really well)
- apples (homemade)
- prunes (store bought)
- sweet potato (homemade)
- peas (homemade)
- avocado (just mashed really well and mixed with a little breastmilk)
- butternut squash (homemade)
- pears (homemade)
- green beans (homemade)
- pumpkin (pure canned pumpkin)
- carrots* (homemade – not a fan of on their own, can do mixed with fruit)
- broccoli* (homemade – he’s still on the fence with this one)
- blueberries* (cut into quarters, eaten as finger foods – he LOVES ‘em!)
- Cheerios* (we tried some plain ones this month but I’m holding off again since they don’t dissolve as easy and made me nervous)
- Gerber puffs* (he goes NUTS for these things, but I try to only offer then occasionally since they really don’t offer all that much in terms of nutritional value, but they’re great practice for his pincer grasp, which he’s getting quite good at)
We’ve been working on incorporating more finger foods, which are a bit hit or miss. He does okay with most of the non-slippery foods (Cheerios, puffs, sweet potatoes, blueberries) but really has trouble grasping things like avocado and bananas. I’ve even tried coating them in finely ground Cheerios but he still struggles a bit.
I’m planning on continuing to push the finger foods a bit more this month, and am also looking to try egg yolks and yogurt (moms, what do you recommend trying first with yogurt? Are the “baby” ones really that different? I haven’t researched at all yet).
Sleeping (naps): Lucas is still pretty consistent with his naps this month. Most days, he’s taking two naps at 9am and 1pm (give or take about 30-40 minutes depending on when he wakes up) and each one lasts about an hour and a half to 2 hours. Sometimes it takes a little more effort to get him down to sleep; those are the days that we (or Erika) go in and see him sitting up, trying to pull up on his crib. OR, like earlier today when I got this picture from Erika…he’s now all of a sudden standing on his own.
Ohhh, I’m not ready for that yet!!
Sleeping (at night): Meh. A baby with a cold can really throw things off in this department! Before he got sick, we were actually doing SO much better, and even had a streak of about 3 nights where he slept from about 7pm – 7am. Once the cold arrived, we had a few nights where we had to put him in his swing to sleep because he just couldn’t get comfortable laying down (plus his nasty cough was making me a nervous nelly) and he was waking up 2-3 times during the night. The past couple of nights he’s made it for about a 10 hour stretch of sleep (~7:30pm – 5:45am) so I think we’re (hopefully) heading in the right direction once again.
Clothing: He can still wear some of his 6 month clothes but most 9 month clothes fit better these days. We’re also fully in size 3 diapers. I’ve been wanting so badly to buy him some clothes for late spring/summer, but I have no idea what size to get so I’m trying hard to hold off for now.
New this month: Oh my goodness, talk about progress this month!
- Crawling like crazy – and it seemed like he picked up some crazy speed overnight…little man is quick!
- Clapping – he just does it randomly right now, although it happens quite often when daddy enters the room.
- Pulling up on things – he pulls up to his knees to play with a few of his toys and, depending on the height, can also pull up to his feet.
- Really showing his preference for things – when he doesn’t want something, he’ll quickly push it away. If he does want it, he reaches out to try to grab for it.
- A chatterbox – he just loves hearing his voice and is usually either growling or blowing raspberries.
- Holds his bottle all by himself – I think he *may* have been doing this a bit last month, but since I don’t always give him his bottles, I’m not totally sure.
- Turning pages of books when we read – it is the most adorable thing. He’ll look at the pages while we read and as soon as we pause, he’ll turn the page all by himself. I don’t know why, but this just amazes me.
- Solid foods
- Attempting to stand
- Reading books
- Listening to music (Fall Out Boy, 311, Zac Brown Band and Florida Georgia Line)
- Being sung to (basically anything with a tune and he immediately lights up)
- Dancing in the kitchen with mommy
- Jake and the Neverland Pirates and Mickey Mouse Club
- The remote control (the real one…of course!)
- My cell phone
- Splashing in the tub
- Sticking his tongue out and making funny sounds with it
- Blowing raspberries (while also getting his drool flying all over the place)
- Looking at himself in the mirror
- Elements of surprise (peek-a-boo, sneaking up on him)
- Cody! He gets SO excited when he sees him.
- Being cramped up in one small space (car seat, your arms!) for too long
- Getting his face wiped off
- Being held like a baby
- Getting ready for bedtime – it’s always a struggle (already…yikes!)
- Being the slightest bit overtired
- When the sun hits his face while he’s in the car (no matter what I do, it always seems to happen!)
- When mommy leaves the room too suddenly
I can’t wait to see what the rest of this first year of yours has in store, Mr. Lucas. You never cease to amaze us and we love you to the moon and back. Forever and always. <3
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun says
Melissa @ ForLoveandTravel says
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles says
Emily S. says
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries says
Sarah @ Sarah Sincerely says
Jenn@Mark My Miles! says