I had originally planned on posting this Mini Turkey Meatball recipe on the Baby Tooth page, but when I realized that Jay and I ate just as many, if not more, of the meatballs out of our last batch, I figured I really had to share with all of you.
These meatballs. Oh mannnn, are they good. And talk about easy?!
I’ve been making batches of these for a good few months now, and they have yet to disappoint us. At first, I was just making them for Lucas, but after sneaking a few here and there, they’ve now most definitely become a “family favorite.”
For Lucas, we just cut them up into small hunks for now. We’ve tried adding a few dollops of ketchup to them, but he actually likes them best plain, which I have no qualms over.
Along with his Easy Cheesy Spinach Pasta, of course. Kid can’t get enough of either of them!
Jay and I, on the other hand, have enjoyed them many ways, our most recent being sliced up on pizza. They’re also awesome over pasta, of course, and in meatball subs.
But if you’re not feelin’ like meatballs, no problem-o. The beauty of ground meat recipes is simple enough where you can just form some into a couple of patties to make some burgers, too.
We did that last month…formed two patties, cooked them on the grill, then made the rest into meatballs and cooked them in the oven. Easy peasy!
I’m seriously loving these things. The flavor is amazing, thanks in part to the sautéed onions and the little hint of sweetness you occasionally get from the apples, and I just love how easy they are. Make a batch on the weekend, have them for the whole week!
So whatever your situation…you have a picky toddler at home, no kiddos at all, or just cooking for yourself…I’m still recommending you give these Mini Turkey Meatballs a try. Because they even freeze well, too (cooked, stored in an airtight container). So really, you have no excuse NOT to try them, right?
Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life
Yields Approx 30 Mini Meatballs
Sweet apple chunks combine with savory turkey to make a perfect meal time option for your little kiddos. Even better, they're delicious enough to share with the whole family...but they won't last long!
15 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped or minced
- 1/2 small apple (Mac, Granny Smith), finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1lb (1 package) lean ground turkey (or chicken, both work great!)
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (or 2 slices of bread, dried and crumbled to make fresh breadcrumbs)
- 3 tsp dried parsley
- 2-3 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- ~1 tbsp tomato sauce, optional
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and sauté the onion and apple for 3 minutes, stirring until softened. Add the garlic sauté for 30 seconds. Set aside to cool.
- Mix together the ground turkey, breadcrumbs, parsley, Parmesan and tomato sauce. Stir in the sautéed onion, apple, and garlic, and add the beaten egg to bind.
- Form the mixture into mini meatballs, about 3/4-1 inch in diameter and line up in rows in prepared baking dish. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until slightly golden and internal temperature reads 165 degrees F. Allow to cool and enjoy!
And be sure to let me know if you try them!
What are some of your favorite meals that are sure to go over well with your whole family?