Mmmmm. Toffee Chocolate Crispy Cookies. On a Friday morning no less!
Remember a couple of weeks ago when Jay and I had some friends over for Football Sunday and I shared this delicious photo full of cookies?
Well ever since then I’ve been meaning to share a little bit more about those cookies on the left because, you see…they’re awesome.
Back when I was in high school and on the bowling team (yes I was, and I’m darn proud of it – varsity team starting at 8th grade, baby!), my mom always used to make our team treats and was basically the resident baker for us all.
Apple doesn’t fall far from the tree there, huh?
Out of everything that she’d make for us though, the one favorite amongst just about everyone were her Crunch Bar Cookies. The cookies not only included huge chunks of Crunch bars, but they were also loaded with lots of rice krispies…making for one heck of a cookie.
Recently, I came across this recipe again and while it immediately brought up those old memories, it also sparked a desire to recreate them again. Unfortunately when I did decide to make them, I didn’t have any Crunch bars on hand, so I improvised and subbed in some mini chocolate chips and Heath bar bits instead.
All I’ll say is…I’m so glad I improvised.
Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life
Yields Approx 3 dozen
Crispy rice cereal and sweet, toffee and chocolate chunks make up the delectable flavors and textures of this delicious cookie. It's a MUST try!
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup (packed) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup crispy rice cereal
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I use mini, to get more throughout the cookie!)
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate Heath bar/toffee bits
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking soda; mix well and set aside.
- In a large bowl, blend sugars with an electric mixer at medium speed. Add butter and mix to form a grainy paste. Scrape down sides of bowl, then add egg and vanilla extract. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Add flour mixture, rice cereal, chocolate chips, and toffee bits. Blend at low speed (or mix by hand) until just combined. Drop by rounded tablespoons onto ungreased cookie sheet (or lined with parchment paper), 2 inches apart. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Immediately transfer to a wire rack to cool. Enjoy!
Recipe lightly adapted from Mrs. Fields
Like I said…mmmmmm. Cookies.