Spread the Sunshine

by Courtney on July 12, 2010

Cereal just isn’t that exciting to photograph.

After numerous attempts this morning to try and jazz it up, the only thing I was left with was some semi-soggy cereals. :oops: I guess next time I’ll just take one and call it a morning, since I know it’s going to look the same no matter what I do!

Today’s combo had 3 different cereals – love it! Kashi Go Lean + Kashi Heart to Heart + Quaker Oatmeal Squares all with skim milk and a bananer. The cereal was definitely missing something by using the skim milk. I’ve become so used to enjoying the sweet, almondy flavor of the almond milk – time to get some more! I also ended up slicing half the bananer and putting it into the cereal. That helped. A little.

I completely forgot that last Thursday, Lisa @ I’m An Okie and last Friday, Holly @ Greek Yogurt & Apple Slices were BOTH sweet enough to pass along this little gem to me: The Sunshine Award! Thanks so much girls, I love it! :-D If could, I’d pass it back to you both!

Now, in honor of the award, I’m going to pass it along to 5 more blogs that make me smile:

Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers: I think the two of us were separated at birth – not only for our strong love of ice cream, but now that I’ve discovered she’s also a fan of Ryan Reynolds. She seems like such a sweet girl – I just wish she didn’t live all the way down in darn Florida! ;)

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly: Kelly is such an inspiration! Reading about her determination to get back to running and her hard fought efforts to get there – definitely helped make me lace up the sneakers a few times when I was starting to feel a bit lazy!

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries: Lindsay totally grabbed my heart after reading one of her entries a couple weeks back about the “popular” blog; I could totally relate to that, and since then, I’ve discovered that we really seem to have quite a bit in common. Lindsay – you’re not too far away, we should totally try to meet up sometime!! ;)

Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana: I love the fact that Shanna is a trained wedding consultant (my secret dream job!) and that she has just as fierce of a love of fashion as me. She seems like so much fun!

Jenny @ Picky Palate: The desserts alone on this page I think could turn anyone’s frown upside-down! ;) They are absolutely to-die-for. Hello…Snickers Caramel Cheesecake Cookies?? Yes, please!!

I have some errands to run around doing this morning, including a much-needed grocery shop. Time to go grab the coupons! ;)

Question for the Morning:

Do you clip coupons? What do you do (if anything) to try to save money at the grocery store? I’d love some more tips!

1 Rhea (Greek Feaster) July 12, 2010 at 9:41 am

My #1 tip that WORKS if you can stick with it (I usually can’t, but here goes…):
MAKE A LIST. Love the list. Embrace the list. DO NOT deviate from the list! If I’m going to an exciting or specialty store, I allow myself one flex/surprise item. Other than that… THE LIST! Only the LIST!

#2 tip? Don’t shop on an empty stomach ;)

2 missyrayn July 12, 2010 at 9:52 am

I only clip what I will use. I mostly use health and beauty aid products since I don’t eat most prepackaged stuff they advertise.

And definitely have a list and a plan. I usually take Hunni and we divide up what we want so that is done quicker and we get out with just what we want.

3 Holly at Greek Yogurt and Apple Slices July 12, 2010 at 9:57 am

Oh I definitely clip coupons- it’s my favorite thing to do on Sundays..well, one of a few things :)
Hope you have a great day!!

4 Rosey Rebecca July 12, 2010 at 10:00 am

I’m with missyrayn–I only clip what I usually buy. If I start clipping coupons for items I’ve never bought before, I end up spending way too much money.

I always have a list. The only thing I don’t plan a list for is produce. I just go crazy in that dept. no matter what.

5 Courtney @ Three Months July 12, 2010 at 10:00 am

I don’t clip coupons because I shop at Trader Joe’s and they don’t offer coupons…just low prices all the time! :)

6 Kara @ MyWellnest July 12, 2010 at 10:17 am

Yummy cereal combo! I think it looks pretty exciting!
I occasionally clip coupons, I need to do it more!

7 Heather (Where's the Beach) July 12, 2010 at 10:20 am

Congrats on the Sunshine Award!! There are some foods that are just so hard to photograph. I do clip coupons and try to pay attention to sales. I also started hitting up the clearance sections.

8 Amy @ Second City Randomness July 12, 2010 at 10:28 am

I always do a cereal mix! I’m not happy with just one kind in my bowl… :)

9 Shanna, like Banana July 12, 2010 at 10:59 am

Oh shucks, a Sunshine Award for ME?!?! Yay, total smiles on my face :)

As for grocery savings, I always sign up for the club card savings. I love when they tell me how much I’ve saved after each grocery purchase. One time, my original bill was $200 and it went down by HALF! Yeehaaa!

10 Kelly July 12, 2010 at 11:16 am

Ah sweetie…thanks for the award! You’re so sweet!! :) I do clip coupons…no shame. Anything to help cut down on food costs is a must! :)

11 peanutbutterfingers July 12, 2010 at 1:52 pm

thanks so much for the shout out! i totally agree about the separated at birth thing… i feel like every time i read a post of yours, i think “OMG, me too!” ;)

i am a HUGE coupon clipper. i also buy a lot of things when they’re buy-one-get-one-free & freeze them. it’s great for stuff like bagels and sandwich thins.

12 amy July 12, 2010 at 3:59 pm

i’m big on coupons, especially mambo sprouts that I can use at whole Foods and whever they have almond milk on sale I stock up.

13 Weight Loss Plans July 13, 2010 at 7:58 am

I do the same with my cereals, when I purchase and bring home I mix them directly into a large container. Husband still thinks I buy it special like that just for him. It has all his favorites and usually something good and healthy.

As per the groceries – I do a menu plan for the week, and then write out what I am missing in the pantry. With list in hand, off I go and really try not to sway too far off. Oh missed the important part, I go through all the flyers on-line also and figure out where to buy what is needed on my list before heading out the door.

14 Alison July 19, 2010 at 11:27 am

Hey Courtney, Just wanted to say hi — I’m one of your HLS roommies and just started reading your blog!

I have become a coupon monster over the past year and it saves me so much money! The key is only clipping coupons for things you would normally buy. My grocery store has double coupon day once or twice a week where they double the discount on any coupon $1 or less. That really racks up the savings! The other day, BBQ sauce was on sale for 67 cents, plus I had a $1 off coupon for that brand – and it was doubled – so basically I got the sauce for free plus $1.33 back! I’m always on the lookout for deals like that.

15 Courtney July 19, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Ahhhhh, ROOMIE!! Can’t wait to meet you! :)

16 Emon September 30, 2011 at 6:07 am