I hope you guys are hungry today, because I’ve got a decadent chocolate chip cookie bar recipe coming your way!
I always get a little nervous about labeling something I make as “the best ever.” I mean, you can never appease every appetite, so there’s surely going to be somebody who doesn’t agree. So when I share recipes with you all, anything dubbed “best ever” has definitely earned its title. For example…my Best Ever Chicken Salad and my Best Ever Crockpot Applesauce. I still stand by my claims that they are both the best I’ve ever had (and many of you have told me the same!).
So today, here I am again…sharing something I’m claiming as the best ever. And I feel absolutely confident in telling you this because, they are, the. best. ever. chocolate chip cookie bars I’ve ever made.
And it’s not only me that who thinks so. Jay said so AND my college girlfriends did too, who had the pleasure of trying them when they came to visit me in the new digs just recently.
Why they’re the best ever, I’m not really sure. Maybe it’s because they were the first recipe I baked in the new house and was just SO excited to make them? Maybe it’s because they were made with love? Or maybe it’s because I had a special helper (who looooves chocolate chips) while I was making them.
Little man can bake…aka, he can scoop flour out ALL over the place like it’s nobody’s business. Yeah, I had to let my hair down a little on that one and not get too caught up with the extra mess, but we survived! And I just loved having him as a little helper.
But really…back to the bars. I actually think part of the reason I love them so much is because they’re super simple. I feel like sometimes I get so caught up with all these snazzy recipes with salted caramel this, or quadruple layer that…but these? Talk about easy.
And not only that, but they’ve got the most amazing soft, doughy texture that is basically (what I think) every chocolate chip cookie (and bar) should have.
So if you agree, then you’ve got to give these bars a try. I promise, they’re going to be a hit…and they’re not going to last long either.
Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life
Simple ingredients and full of flavor, these bars boast a soft and delicious texture that will melt in your mouth!
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 -1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups mini semisweet chocolate chips (*I love using the mini ones because you get them better dispersed throughout the batter, but any would be fine)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and spray a 9 x 13 inch pan and set aside.
- Combine butter, shortening, sugar and brown sugar with a mixer until smooth, 2-3 minutes.
- Add in eggs and vanilla and beat for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add in flour, baking soda and salt and mix until just combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips until they are evenly distributed throughout the dough.
- Spread the dough into your prepared baking dish and bake for 15-17 minutes. *They might appear undercooked, but that's okay. It's how you'll get the gooey soft texture!
- Allow to cool then cut into squares, serve, and enjoy!