Roasted Veggie & Wheatberry Salad

by Courtney on July 29, 2010

YUM.

It definitely has been a productive day, both outside AND in the kitchen. But I think I can honestly say that I really do not enjoy painting. :oops: Thankfully, Mal was here to help me, and I’d say we made a pretty good dent before we ran out of primer 3 hours later. It’s all the lattice work that is a total time killer. UGH!

So, onto more EXCITING news…I can’t believe that I totally forgot to mention this earlier this morning…

I bit the bullet and I’m doing the Warrior Dash!!!!

BUT, that’s not even the best part…Jay offered to do it with me! :shock: I can’t believe I was able to convince him – but I just reminded him that it will be a totally awesome experience that we will probably never do again. Plus, there’s those hats that I just love. ;) Hopefully I’ll be feelin’ feisty on September 19th!

Lunch

I wouldn’t have thought that any lunch creation I came up with could have topped today’s breakfast…but it surely held up as a strong contender!

Roasted Veggie & Wheatberry Salad

-1/2 cup cooked wheatberries

-3/4-1 cup roasted veggies (oh, how I love leftovers!)

-1 wedge The Laughing Cow Light Swiss Cheese

-drizzle of light balsamic vinaigrette dressing

-fresh basil leaves

To make the salad, I simply threw everything in a bowl, heated it in the microwave for about a minute, stirred everything up to get the cheese evenly distributed, and topped it with fresh torn basil leaves. Everything was ready in less than 5 minutes, start to finish, and it was totally delicious to boot! The flavors of the veggies have gotten even better as they sit, and the creaminess of the cheese throughout just brought the whole dish together perfectly.

Good thing I still have more leftover veggies! ;)

Snack

Tonight, Jay and I have a softball game, which means we’ll likely be cooking out afterwards. However, all my hard work today (yes, that’s right Jay, you here that? LOTS OF HARD WORK TODAY :-o ) definitely got my appetite kicked up a notch.

To cure the tummy rumbles, I decided to make a new Green Monster: Strawberry Peach!

Strawberry Peach Green Monster

-1 chopped peach

-1/2-3/4 cup frozen strawberries

-1/2 cup vanilla almond milk

-1/2 scoop strawberry whey protein powder

-2 handfuls spinach

-1/4 tsp xanthan gum (for thickening purposes)

-1 ice cube

I definitely like this combo, and I’m thoroughly enjoying sipping on it while we speak. :)

We’re gonna be heading out the door in a few minutes for the game, so wish us luck!!

Question for the Night:

What is one chore/part of housework that you really just do no enjoy doing? Is there any that you don’t mind to do?

I actually don’t mind doing laundry, it’s just the folding and putting it away part that annoys me! ;)

1 Kelly July 29, 2010 at 5:29 pm

That green monster looks wonderful!! I had one breakfast and it was awesome!

I hate (HATE) to mop….thankfully I can usually convince Keith to do it about 50% of the time! hehe! I don’t mind laundry either…it is probably my favorite chore.

2 It All Changes July 29, 2010 at 6:13 pm

I hate the dishes. I do the cooking so Hunni does the dishes. When I was single almost everything was in one pan and often eaten out of the pan so I had fewer dishes to do.

I love the laundry too. It is warm and fuzzy.

3 Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews July 29, 2010 at 6:30 pm

I HATE to do the dishes by hand…yuck

4 erica July 29, 2010 at 6:49 pm

i was just going to say the same thing you did! i don’t mind doing laundry, just as long as i don’t have to fold it and put it away!!!!

5 Amy July 29, 2010 at 7:00 pm

I hate cleaning toilets and floors. Yuck

6 TheKetchupDiaries July 29, 2010 at 7:54 pm

Haha…I laughed at the butter joke!! I HATE cleaning, but don’t mind laundry (or cooking!!!).

7 Lizzy @ LBBakes July 29, 2010 at 8:26 pm

Good job painting, that is always tiring! I’d say bathroom cleaning is my least favorite. Though I will admit, I love the accomplished feeling I get after doing any chore. :)

So, these green monsters… can you taste the spinach? I can’t seem to get past the fact that spinach is in there!

8 Courtney July 29, 2010 at 10:45 pm

NO! You really can’t – it’s the greatest thing ever. You have to try it. I’m still trying to figure out a way to convince the hubby – he can’t get past it either! haha

9 Shanna, like Banana July 29, 2010 at 8:35 pm

Awesome that you signed up for the race!!!

Bloggers this is why Courtney rocks: http://shannalikebanana.wordpress.com/2010/07/29/a-blizzard-in-california/

10 Autumn @ Good Eats Girl July 29, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Yay for signing up for the race! I think you’ll have so much fun!

I hate doing the dishes!!

11 BostonRunner July 29, 2010 at 9:28 pm

I don’t mind doing the dishes and vacuuming and other general organization type stuff, but I realllly don’t like laundry!
I also don’t mind painting, but I haven’t had to do it that much and can see why it would get annoying

12 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine July 29, 2010 at 10:37 pm

I don’t mind laundry either!! I absolutely hate anything I have to bend down a lot for though- my knees start to kill me. Congrats on signing up for the race :)

13 Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) July 29, 2010 at 11:58 pm

The Warrior Dash looks like so much fun!

I hate cleaning the fridge, it’s so tedious. I don’t mind sweeping and vacuuming.

Jenn

14 Stina July 30, 2010 at 11:43 am

I’m with you on the laundry thing. I don’t mind doing it, but I hate the folding and hanging.

I also can’t stand doing dishes. I wish everything I owned were dishwasher safe.

15 Courtney July 30, 2010 at 3:45 pm

I love cleaning in general. It is kind of like meditating for me. Weird, I know. :)