Cafe Madison: Best Pancakes In Town

by Courtney on August 22, 2010

This morning, I set my alarm bright and early at 7:00am for a heart pumping workout. I skipped my usual Sunday morning BodyPump class in the favor of time, and did my new favorite Rock Hard Total Body Workout on Exercise TV. That workout is the jam. And as a reward for my kick-butt morning sweat session, Jay and I headed to my absolute FAVORITE breakfast spot: Cafe Madison. :-D

Cafe Madison is located on Madison Avenue, right in the heart of Albany. It is actually just a short walk up the road from St. Rose, my old college stompin’ grounds. We actually used to make the trek up this way quite often, but it wasn’t usually for breakfast. ;)

Anytime someone even mentions Cafe Madison, I swoon. Not only is the food extraordinary, but it’s got the cutest, coziest atmosphere.

Does anyone look familiar in this photo??? ;)

It’s quite damp and rainy here in New York today, so a warm mug of coffee was definitely on my radar. They even had hazelnut…again, I am in love. It was good enough to enjoy 3 almost 3 mugs of it throughout breakfast. What can I say…they always ask so nicely if I’d like a refill. :)

Mmmmm, tastes sooooo good!

My handsome breakfast date. :-D

Cafe Madison’s menu has remained the same for as long as I’ve been coming here, however they always have specials that are sure to make your taste buds water. Just take a look at some of the offerings staring me down immediately upon sitting.

I’d be lying if I said the Chocolate Peanut Butter Pancakes weren’t totally tuggin’ at my heart strings. I mean, c’mon, does that not sound like it came falling from the heavens??

Despite the temptations, there is one special menu item that has already stolen my heart…

Red Raspberry Oatmeal Pancakes!

A dish after my own heart.

These pancakes are like nothing else I have ever had. The overall flavor and spice of the pancakes is epic in and of itself. The oatmeal gives them just the slightest bit of density, so they’re filling, but not too heavy. The flavor of the slightly sweet, yet subtly tart raspberries is evident in every bite, and brings the dish together like no other.

Today, I ordered the “Two Plus Two” which is 2 pancakes + 2 eggs, which I made scrambled egg whites.

It also can’t go unmentioned that Cafe Madison is also known for some pretty phenomenal omelettes and delicious homemade breads. Jay ordered their Farmhouse Omelette, which is generously filled with Canadian bacon, tomatoes, potatoes, onions, and cheddar cheese. Judging by his empty plate at the end of breakfast, I’d say he was pleasantly satisfied.

And as for me? Well, I’ll just say that I may have died and gone to heaven for a short while… ;) I honestly think that if there is anyone living within at least an hour of this place, you have GOT to try it out. It will change your life. And probably expand your waistband.

After breakfast, I pampered myself with a nice mani-pedi in preparation for my Vegas trip, and now we’re working on a little more packing before heading over to my parents’ house for barbecue #2 for the weekend. Have I mentioned before how much I love weekend barbecues??

In honor of my upcoming Vegas trip, I’ll make today’s Question one that can hopefully help us out…

**CALLING ALL TRAVELERS WHO HAVE BEEN TO VEGAS**

Question of the Day:

Do you have any tips, suggestions, or recommendations for while we’re in Vegas? We’ve never been and want to make sure we hit up some fun spots!

1 Heather T August 22, 2010 at 2:30 pm

I suggest Fremont Street :)

2 Shanna, like Banana August 22, 2010 at 2:36 pm

That cafe looks beyond cute! I was totally hooked on the PB pancakes until you said oatmeal raspberry…love oatmeal in pancakes ;)

Vegas is a visual smorgasbord — just wandering up and down the Strip is fun because all the hotels are amazing and all the people, are um, interesting!

Have fun :)

3 Sara August 22, 2010 at 2:49 pm

I just discovered your blog when looking for local ones to read on healthylivingblogs.com. I love Cafe Madison! When I’ve gone for brunch, I’ve usually gotten an omelet. But I’ve always wanted to try the oatmeal raspberry pancakes! Next time, I guess. :)

4 erica August 22, 2010 at 3:35 pm

I want pancakes!

Go see a cirque show in Vegas! I saw O and it was really good. They have a lot of shows to choose from! Go to a buffet! And…

Go eat a sandwich at Earl of sandwich in planet Hollywood hotel! Honestly tried it there and in Orlando and it’s the best sandwiches I’ve ever eaten!!!

And don’t forget frozen hot chocolates at serendipity outside of ceasars!

……hmmm can u tell I ate a lot while I was in Vegas? Hahaha

Don’t forget to gamble!!!

5 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine August 22, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Congrats on the great workout!! That breakfast place looks adorable- the perfect reward, I agree! I’ve never been to Vegas, so unfortunately I can’t offer any tips…waiting until I’m 21 :) Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend!

6 Sana August 22, 2010 at 3:57 pm

I love getting a mani pedi! I went to Vegas when I was 11 and I have so many fond memories. You basically can’t have a bad time :)!

7 rick August 22, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Best Vegas tip – Bring your best walking footwear. You walk almost everywhere. Trolley is much better than taxi. Keep money very close to you. Always have eyes wide open as to whats going on around you. Last thing. Ignore the mexicans handing out “stripper cards” Have a great time

8 Monique@She's Going The Distance August 22, 2010 at 4:10 pm

What a cute breakfast spot!! I love it :)

I’ve only been to Vegas once, but we hit up all the celebrity restaurants instead of gambling really haha. In Mandalay Bay there’s an all you can eat Brazilian buffet that turns into a night club after dining hours. That was fun!!

We went off the strip and ate at the Haufbrauhaus which is EXACTLY like the one in Munich. So fun and German!! haha

Then we did some silly sight-seeing things, like climb the Eiffel Tower in Paris at night and did a gondola ride at the Venetian. Definitely see a show if you have a chance! We went around Christmas time and everything was closed for the holidays. That was the part I was most bummed about.

9 Monique@She's Going The Distance August 22, 2010 at 4:11 pm

oh one last thing! I forgot about this. We at at Dick’s Last Resort in Excalibur… seriously look it up! It was HYSTERICAL and fun http://www.dickslastresort.com/

10 Jessica@tastyandtrim August 22, 2010 at 4:49 pm

OMG chocolate peanut butter pancakes sound heavenly! Although I may have opted for the raspberry oatmeal ones as well because they sound equally intriguing! :)

11 Holly at Greek Yogurt and Apple Slices August 22, 2010 at 4:59 pm

After reading this post- I’d say that this restaurant should hire you to write about their dishes :D I think they could make millions with your descriptions. Just by reading this, it has my mouth watering for pancakes!
Uhhh…I HATE packing, but SO worth it for your trip to Vegas :D

12 Courtney August 22, 2010 at 10:03 pm

Hahaha, thanks Holly :)

13 Lizzy @ LBBakes August 22, 2010 at 6:06 pm

I’ll take an order of the chocolate peanut butter pancakes, please. :)

I’ve never been to Vegas but may be going out there in the near future – I’ll have to check back here later to see suggestions from others!

14 Lindsay August 22, 2010 at 9:14 pm

Hey Courtney–

I love your blog!

I have been to Vegas a couple times. I LOVE it. The best restaurant I visited was called “Le Cirque”. It’s French and pretty pricey, but it’s the best meal I’ve ever had and the ambience is amazing. I hope you get a chance to try it!

15 Ashley August 22, 2010 at 9:28 pm

ive been to vegas once, coolest place everr! stay at the xcalaber, cool hotel! wow, those pancakes surely look amazing! i love raspberrys and thats such a healthy balanced breakfast! ive gotta find a place around me that serves things like that! have a great trip girl! glad you got a mani pedi! there always so relaxing and refreshing (:
Ashley

16 Marg August 22, 2010 at 11:04 pm

I can use the suggestions too! I’m leaving for Vegas this coming weekend. After doing some searching on other blogs, thinking of checking out Mesa Grill (Bobby Flay’s restaurant). The pools are a lot of fun. Restaurant Week starts next Monday so may be worth looking into. Totally agree with the comfortable shoes!

17 Chicago Cuisine Critique August 23, 2010 at 12:07 pm

That breakfast place looks so cute and the pancakes..yum!

18 Rosey Rebecca August 25, 2010 at 7:33 am

I LOVE Cafe Madison. I just clicked through to this post after you commented on my blog, and I want to go again RIGHT NOW. I saw that our next blogger meet up should be there for Sat or Sun brunch. I’m in for sure!