Sushi on Saturday

by Courtney on September 20, 2010

On Saturday evening, Jay and I met up with our few of our friends for dinner at Sake Cafe, a local Asian restaurant & sushi bar.

You may remember when we last visited Sake over the summer. We totally loved it, so we were more than excited to return. :)

Since the restaurant is BYOB (love that!) Jay and I decided to bring one of our favorite bottles of Pinot Grigio: Ecco Domani.

I started things off with an amazing bowl of Wonton soup.

I was all about the noodles…SO good!

For my dinner “entree,” I ordered 3 different rolls: a California Roll, Yellowtail Roll, & Alaska Roll.

It was my first time trying the yellowtail roll, and I must say…I was a little nervous when I saw it come out with no rice on the outside. :shock: BUT, I am definitely now a fan! It was super tasty.

Out of the 3 rolls, I’d still say that the California Roll was tops. It’s a tried and true fave. :)

Perhaps one of the most exciting parts of the evening was when Jay actually ordered himself a California roll! Jay never liked sushi, but decided to give it a try…and he actually enjoyed it!

Do you know what this means?!?! More sushi in my future! WAHOOOOO!!!

Question for the Day:

Do you eat sushi? If so, what’s your favorite??

1 Jen September 20, 2010 at 12:37 pm

We usually go to Koto and I am a fan of the Vegetable Green Dragon Roll and the Sweet Potato Roll. There is one I like too with asparagus sun-dried tomato inside and avocado on the outside top. Mmmmmm So I am more of a vegetarian sushi fan :)

2 Christina @ Food.Fun.Fabulous September 20, 2010 at 12:49 pm

My favorite is the Alaska Roll. I’ve gotten my boyfriend to try sushi 3 different times but he told me he doesn’t like it so he won’t go anymore which means I barely ever get to eat it since all my sushi loving friends are over an hour away from me!

3 Courtney September 20, 2010 at 5:36 pm

I was completely with ya before!

4 Marg September 20, 2010 at 12:56 pm

I don’t eat sushi because I don’t like seafood. I recently discovered a chicken teriyaki sushi roll and love it! Wish more places carried it.

5 Courtney September 20, 2010 at 5:36 pm

That sounds GOOD!

6 jessielu September 20, 2010 at 1:02 pm

California roll is definitely my favorite:) and i loooove wonton soup- I’m jealous!

7 Lauren September 20, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Oh man, I love sushi! I’d eat it with every meal if I could! A spicy yellowtail roll is always good though I’d take anything with bass in it as a rule of thumb! I try to get something I’ve never had before each time I go. Last time I went I got a salmon skin roll which was pretty tasty. I also tried scallop nigri. I’m more of a traditionalist when it comes to my sushi, simple = good!

8 Shanna September 20, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Loooove sushi and in Cali we have plenty of vegetarian options and brown rice too !

9 Holly at Greek Yogurt and Apple Slices September 20, 2010 at 3:20 pm

mmmmm I LOVE sushi! Can’t get enough of it actually. My favorite is anything with yellow tail- so good- but raw- not cooked. And I don’t eat any sushi that is fried- I feel like it kind of ruins the whole idea of sushi.
And have you tried seaweed salad?? It is one of my favorite foods!!! :D

10 emilieviolet September 20, 2010 at 3:31 pm

The Sake Cafe is amazing! It is definitely one of the best priced Japanese/Chinese restaurants in area, the food is always so fresh. Unfortunately, I’m not a big fan of sushi so I don’t have a favorite :(

11 Lauren @ Healthy Delicious September 20, 2010 at 3:32 pm

I love saki cafe! they have some of the best wonton soup – nice and peppery! I also really like their special rolls. They’re expensive, but they’re also bigger. One of those rolls plus a cup of soup is enough for me.

12 Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice September 20, 2010 at 3:57 pm

LOVE sushi. I think spicy salmon or avocado rolls are my favorite.

13 Sam September 20, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Courtney – Fresh Market has fantastic sushi. They have it pre-packaged or you can order it and wait. Super fresh. Well priced too. I think I’m going up there later to get some!

14 Courtney September 20, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Saweeeeeeeet! Good to know, thanks Sam! :)

15 mm September 20, 2010 at 8:14 pm

I LOVE sushi. I usually get some combination of Rainbow Roll, Spicy Yellowtail, Spicy Tuna, Philadelphia (or Philly) roll, or a plain avocado roll.

16 CK September 21, 2010 at 10:00 am

I love sushi! The spicy scallop rolls at Ichiban are to die for.