Basic Banana Muffins! (see recipe below)
Have I ever mentioned how much I love my Betty Crocker Bridal Edition Cookbook??
Oh yeah, that’s right, I have.
Since I’m out tonight celebrating at a retirement party with some of my co-workers, I thought it would be a good opportunity to share another yummy recipe with you all. Hopefully you don’t object. 😉
So last night, I had to consult my favorite book to see what I could do with some outrageously ripe bananas. Rather than try anything crazy and new, I decided to go with the basic Banana Muffin recipe.
I didn’t make too many substitutions, since the hubby doesn’t always appreciate when I “mess around with his food” – so I kept my changes simple, yet not “too healthy” by his standards. You’ll see them below in the recipe. 😉
While the muffins taste absolutely delicious, I think I may have overmixed them a little bit. Muffins can be very delicate to bake, and you have to be careful to really only mix your batter until it is just combined. Otherwise, you’ll end up with peaked, smooth-topped muffins. Not that it changes the flavor at all, but they just don’t have that slightly rounded, bumpy top that is always so attractive on these little bundles of joy.
Basic Banana Muffins
(Makes 12 muffins)
- 1/3 cup milk vanilla almond milk
- 1/4 oil unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour 1-1/2 cups all purpose + 1/2 cup whole wheat
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup mashed, very ripe bananas (I had 3, so I used them all)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Spray bottoms only of 12 medium muffin cups with non-stick cooking spray.
- In large bowl, beat milk, bananas, applesauce, and egg with wire whisk until well mixed. Stir in flour, baking powder and salt all at once just until flour is moistened. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.
- Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to wire rack to cool. ENJOY! 😛
These muffins would be totally delicious with some chocolate chips or raisins mixed in, but since the hubby likes his muffins “Plain Jane” style, I kept things as-is.
Ohh the things we do for our guys! 😉
Question for the Evening:
What is your favorite kind of muffin???