Blogger Grocery Shopping

by Courtney on October 24, 2010

Before I proceed with any of this post, let me just preface by saying, Trader Joe’s, please move closer to me.”

Yesterday marked my first trip EVER to not one, but TWO foodie shopping heavens! And better yet, I got to experience it with a great group of ladies!

(Thanks for the photo, Heather!)

After some great planning by Cynthia, our crew (Emily, Cynthia, Me, Rebecca, Jen, Emily, Katie, & Heather) was able to get together to embark on a fabulous grocery shopping adventure. Yes, 8 of us went group grocery shopping. And yes, it’s really fun. And yes, I think I need to group grocery shop more often. ;)

Our adventure started at Whole Foods to grab some lunch at the hot bar. It was a long drive for grocery shopping and we needed some fuel!

I really have no idea what’s in here. I was so hungry that I pretty much snagged a small scoop of anything that looked or sounded good. I do know, however, that the vegan chicken salad that you see in the top right corner was fantastic, and the tiny little elbows of mac & cheese you see hiding in the center were out of this world.

For some reason, I thought I needed to separate some of the foods, so I ended up getting this separate container and filled it with some tofu, couscous, and broccoli. No idea why I thought this was necessary…especially if you look above. Unfortunately, I probably wasted about 1/3 of everything, since I wasn’t too stoked about quite a few of the items.

This very rarely happens…I don’t know what was wrong with me. Especially when I couldn’t even finish this gelato! shock:

You guys ready for this?? I got apple pie + pumpkin pie and I didn’t care for the pumpkin pie. Nuts, right?!? The apple, however, was utterly delicious. :-P

So after somewhat striking out in the lunch department, I was ready to get my shop on.

Excited much? Nahhhhhhhh. ;)

So let’s take a look at the goods, shall we??

Whole Foods on the left, Trader Joe’s on the right. I found it pretty amusing that my purchase from Whole Foods mainly consisted of alcohol and kids energy bars. That’s normal right?

• Harpoon Grateful Harvest Cranberry Ale
  • Oh…Schist Riesling (never tried it, but it was on sale for $9.00…worth a shot!)
  • Organic Cider Beer (**If you mix this with Octoberfest beer, it’s one of the best things EVER. Try it.)
  • Spooky S’mores Clif Z Bars
  • Larabars
  • The Bee’s Knees PB sample

The Cranberry Ale sounded so festive, I just couldn’t resist.

IMG_5853IMG_5854

Look what I found!! I have been on the hunt for these Spooky S’mores Clif Z Bars forEVER!

I really had to restrain myself from buying a whole box. I can’t wait to try one. :)

As fun as my purchases were at Whole Foods, they really did not compare to Trader Joe’s. Oh what a store!

Thanks to everyone who gave me some ideas and recommendations for what to ge
t. I took some of your suggestions straight to the register with me, along with a few other goods that were callin’ my name.

• Chicken Sausage Ravioli
  • Cats Cookies (have been eyeballing these around Blogland!)
  • Pumpkin Cream Cheese
  • Pumpkin Bread & Muffin Mix
  • Peanut Butter Filled Pretzels
  • Tortilla Chips with an Identity Crisis
  • Eggplant Garlic Spread
  • Caramel Sauce
  • Roasted Chicken Patties
  • 2 Mini Pumpkins (they were just too cute!)
  • Cinnamon Raisin Swirl Bread
  • Almond Butter with Roasted Flaxseeds
  • Dark Chocolate Covered Powerberries
  • 2 Pizza Doughs (one whole wheat, one garlic & herb)

IMG_5860IMG_5861

Can you believe all this only cost $39.84??? I was shocked when the cashier gave me my total. I almost wanted to go back and buy more!

I’m so glad that Jen recommended these Powerberries. They are on point…and they probably won’t be around too long…

I also have to thank Cynthia for giving me a jar of her lemon curd! I had been drooling over it ever since she guest posted about it last weekend here on the blog.

I can’t wait to figure out what to do with it! Thanks, Cynthia!!

But now if you’ll excuse me, I think I need to go dig into my stash of goodies. ;)

Question for the Day:

What items from my purchases look most appealing to YOU?

1 Danielle October 24, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Pumpkin cream cheese!!! YUMMM!!

2 Liz @ LBBakes October 24, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Mmm cat cookies, my sister brings me those every time she comes home. The container lasts ~2 weeks. :) The almond butter sounds really good!

3 Sam October 24, 2010 at 2:21 pm

A powerberry. It sounds good… but what is it?!

4 Courtney October 27, 2010 at 8:06 am

The bag says, “Real fruit juice pieces made with acai, pomegranate, cranberry, and blueberry juices and dipped in smooth dark chocolate. I’m pretty sure the “powerberry” name comes from the antioxidants.
All I know is…they’re delicious. :)

5 Jess October 24, 2010 at 2:28 pm

that’s amazing you got all of that for such a low price! i definitely want some pumpkin cream cheese!

6 emilieviolet October 24, 2010 at 2:30 pm

The cat cookies are deadly, don’t open them, because I already did :)

7 Natalia Baage October 24, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Hi Court! :)
I love this post – shopping ones always have great insight.
Those Z-Bars have gotten a lot of attention recently. Any good?
Another blogger found the pumpkin cream cheese too and loves it; hope you do too.
Let’s hear some more about the dark chocolate powerberries; they look delicious! :)
Glad you enjoyed your shopping trip!

8 Shanna October 24, 2010 at 2:48 pm

The cat cookies are a fave of mine. Same as the chips. No pimpkin butter though??? Gasp!

9 Emily October 24, 2010 at 3:00 pm

You HAVE to post about the cranberry ale after you try it. I love Harpoon beer and can’t imagine it’s not to die for! I love that you ladies took a field trip to grocery shop- I’m from Vermont originally so I can totally understand the novelty of TJ’s and Whole Foods.

10 Steph October 24, 2010 at 3:03 pm

I’m with Emily on the cranberry ale. I Harpoon has some interesting stuff, so I’ll definitely have to keep my eye out for that one

11 Julia October 24, 2010 at 3:04 pm

I really want to get some of the Cliff Z-bars!! I went to Trader Joe’s last week and picked up some of the Pumpkin bread mix as well-can’t wait to bake it :) I’m also surprised you didn’t pick up any pumpkin butter! I got both pumpkin and cranberry-apple butter for my future pumpkin bread that is to come mmmm

12 Rosey Rebecca October 24, 2010 at 4:05 pm

I’m regretting not getting that cranberry ale, too. And the pumpkin cream cheese!

13 briana October 24, 2010 at 4:35 pm

I just recently moved to Colorado away from all Trader Joes and it is quite devastating, I would love to try the pumpkin cream cheese, but you must go and get Gingerbread coffee when it gets closer to Christmas its unbelievable!

14 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine October 24, 2010 at 6:25 pm

I’m SUPER impressed that you got all that for 40 bucks. I never spend a ton at TJ’s, but that’s just amazing!!

For some reason I always thought you lived further south…stoked to find out you’re from NY! Do you ever come into the city?

15 Courtney October 24, 2010 at 7:26 pm

Yes! And I’m even more willing to come down to the city when I have people I know I can come and visit (HINT HINT!) ;)

16 Liz @ Blog is the New Black October 24, 2010 at 6:36 pm

Looks like you got some great loot! You are so cute with your carriage. I can’t believe you were in MA! (Although that is farrrr away from me, even in MA!)

17 Fellow teacher October 24, 2010 at 6:46 pm

Teeeeacher, you’re getting too excited it scares me:) I guess I take for granted that Trader Joes is within walking distance from my house. I bet you got excited about the pumpkin display…it’s gorgeous.

18 cookinfanatic October 24, 2010 at 9:36 pm

I would go nuts w/out a Whole Foods nearby (it’s 5 min from my house), love that store!! I don’t go to TJ’s too much anymore but they do have some good finds – looks like you definitely stocked up on some fabulous stuff! The flaxseed almond butter is one of my faves.

19 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] October 25, 2010 at 2:17 am

That is the best AB ever!! so good for OIAJ =]

20 CaSaundra October 26, 2010 at 8:55 am

I feel your pain..the closest Trader Joe’s or WF is 4 hours away :-(
But wow, you sure made the trip worth it–looks like you got some great goodies!

21 Valery R May 25, 2011 at 3:34 pm