Dinner at Lanie’s Cafe

by Courtney on October 25, 2010

It’s always nice to have something to look forward to after a long day of work…especially when it’s on a Monday!

Knowing that I had a nice dinner out planned for this evening definitely seemed to make my Monday go a whole heck of a lot smoother. I think I just may have to plan something like this every Monday. ;)

Before dinner, however, comes lunch…and today’s was simple but super yummy!

I started with a delicious fruit + cottage cheese bowl. Whatcha see there is about 3/4 cup of 1% cottage cheese, a delicious diced pear, and a hefty tablespoon of pumpkin butter. Note to Self: I’m really regretting not buying more of this at Trader Joes this weekend. It’s diminishing quickly. Crap. :oops:

Lunch also included one of my new Spooky S’mores Clif Z Bars. It was just as good as I had hoped, but I actually think Honey Graham is still tops on my list. :shock:

I also included some fresh carrots + grape tomatoes + hommus to round out today’s lunch. Like I said, simple yet satisfying!

Dinner

Tonight’s special dinner plans brought us to one of my favorite restaurants, Lanie’s Cafe. Jay’s parents had a gift certificate and kindly asked us to join them. :)

So I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t distracted all day long trying to decide what I was going to get for dinner tonight. I honestly couldn’t stop thinking about the amazing meal of salad bar + veggie quesadillas from the last time Jay and I visited:

Absolutely delicious right there. So delicious, in fact that I was pretty positive that tonight was going to be a repeat order; however, last minute I totally changed my mind. I don’t know what happened?!?

I started off with a trip to the salad bar. LOVE their salad bar! They have some of the best homemade balsamic vinaigrette. Yummm. :-P

Then for my dinner, I ordered the Shrimp Ryan: Fresh jumbo shrimp sautéed with artichoke hearts, sundried tomatoes and baby spinach, served in homemade scampi sauce with diced roasted red peppers over pasta.

It was good, but nothing too exciting. I ate all except for one of the shrimp, and most of the veggies. I left most of the pasta behind…looking at my “finished” plate was quite amusing since it appeared as if I hadn’t even made a dent! :shock:

After dinner, Jay and I made a quick stop at The Fresh Market to pick up some coffee since we were completely out this morning! We had planned on just picking up some Breakfast Blend…but that was before we tried one of their samples they were offering…and then we ended up buying this:

I know, I know! Christmas Blend?!? Seriously Courtney??? I honestly debated the whole purchase for all of about 15 seconds, solely based on the fact that it said Christmas Blend (it’s still Pumpkin Season folks!). However, I absolutely fell in love with the sample I tried. I was hooked.

And then I saw it packaged with some Caramel Macchiato…and there was no question. I’m psyched! Now I just need to figure out which one to brew for tomorrow morning. ;)

Time to go relax on the couch! Hope everyone had a Magnificent Monday!!

Question for the Evening:

When going out to eat, do you ever scope out menus before going to the restaurant?

1 Joslyn @ missfitbliss October 25, 2010 at 8:56 pm

I do actually scope out menus online before heading out to a new place. Mainly just to get an idea of how much cash to bring along, but it’s a great way to anticipate a delicious meal too!

That shrimp plate looks amazingly good!

2 babs October 25, 2010 at 9:00 pm

I always check out menus. I loveeeeeeeeeee it. It’s one of the perks of going out to eat. I’m also the type of person that orders the same thing over and over once I find a dish I like

3 Holly at Greek Yogurt and Apple Slices October 25, 2010 at 9:02 pm

That pumpkin butter looks delish!
I have been on the hunt for it. Have not had much luck yet…thinking of making my own perhaps.
Lovin the quesadilla- looks stuffed FULL of veggies!
Oh, I’ve been meaning to ask you, where do you get ‘Hommus?’ I can’t find it down here.

4 Courtney October 25, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Mmmm, LOVE hommus! I just get it at my grocery store. It’s usually over by the deli, near some of the other salsas and specialty cheeses.

5 Jess October 25, 2010 at 9:27 pm

I look up menus almost all the time before going out to eat. I think it gets me excited to go out!

6 laura October 25, 2010 at 9:48 pm

I ALWAYS look up menus. It gets you so excited!

7 Liz @ Blog is the New Black October 25, 2010 at 10:01 pm

You are so funny! Those coffee flavors sound delish. Yes, I check menus, too.

8 Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) October 25, 2010 at 10:22 pm

I usually check out menus before I go to the restaurant. The worst is when I pick something that I’m dying to try and then get to the restaurant and find that they don’t update their menus online very often and don’t have that particular item. Ugh.

9 Mariana October 25, 2010 at 10:35 pm

I’m such an online-menu-stalker. I always check the menu twice: online and on the restaurant.

10 Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice October 26, 2010 at 6:39 am

I ALWAYS check out the menu online before I go to a restaurant. It’s also for the benefit of the people dining with me. I would take FOREVER to finally decide on what to order if I didn’t have an idea of what’s being offered.

Christmas blend coffee?? What’s the flavor like?

11 Steph October 26, 2010 at 8:16 am

I always check the menu too. I like to know if I am going to be uber indulgent at dinner, or even just think about some potential combos ahead of time

12 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine October 26, 2010 at 8:17 am

I always scope out the menu beforehand- it’s the only way I know I won’t miss any delicious options when I glance it over in a hurry before ordering!!

13 Heather (Where's the Beach) October 26, 2010 at 9:21 am

If I can find a menu online, I totally scope it out. Being vegetarian, I feel like I have to have some sort of idea of what I may or may not be able to eat. If it’s only a salad, I’ll bring my own protein source like a baggie with beans or tofu. Sometimes I even have the hubs stop by and pick up menus.

14 Natalia Baage October 26, 2010 at 10:53 am

Must. Find. TJ’s. Pumpkin Butter! :)

15 Kelly October 26, 2010 at 10:58 am

I totally agree that the Honey Graham Zbar is best! Have you tried the apple cinnamon and blueberry….those are good too.

16 Courtney October 27, 2010 at 8:03 am

Yes, they are both awesome! But the honey graham is still #1 :)

17 leashieloo October 26, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Glad to see that you eat Z Bars as well :) Spooky S’mores sounds delish, I def. want to try.

18 Megan (Braise The Roof) October 26, 2010 at 5:06 pm

I’m with Jess- I almost always look at menus before I go. I get so excited about going out that I have to check out the menu first! I actually think it’s really smart to do, too, because that way you don’t have to stare at your menu for 10 minutes when you get there instead of socializing.

19 Shanna, like Banana October 26, 2010 at 5:35 pm

I”m notorious for looking at menus before I go out. I usually pick a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice AND even pick my wine. If it’s available, I also look up nutritional information., Makes me feel empowered over my choices!

20 Shayla October 26, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Oh yes! Totally obsessed with checking out menus beforehand too! I just love reading about all the delicious menu options that it just ups the ante of my excitement to going out and all day long I love to daydream about what delicious sounding option I’ll have! :)

21 Michelle October 26, 2010 at 6:47 pm

You should make your own pumpkin butter! It is so easy! You can check out my blog if you need a recipe.

22 Veggielady4life October 26, 2010 at 7:42 pm

I definitely check out the menu if possible before heading to a restaurant. Otherwise, I really don’t get to read it because I’m too busy talking!

23 Baker Girl October 27, 2010 at 3:54 pm

I love scoping out the menu before going, it gets me excited for whats to come, and always helps knowing what the healthy options vs what looks super tasty and worth it, so I don’t end up making a snap decision at the restaurant for something that has page appeal but will end up disappointing.