How Hubby Earned Some Brownie Points

by Courtney on January 26, 2011

Another reason I love Birthday Week?…

source

I return home from a great session of BodyPump at the gym, only to have my entire dinner cooked and ready for me…all courtesy of the hubby. Smile

As soon as I walked through the door, I was welcomed with the amazing aromas of barbeque and garlic. Does it get much better than that??

The wonderful aroma of barbeque was coming directly from our slow cooker, as Jay decided to use our favorite Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Chicken recipe. This recipe is so so so good, and works just as easily with pork, too.

I dolloped my pulled chicken with a little nonfat Chobani yogurt for extra creaminess, which I had on a fresh bakery hard roll.

And that amazing hint of garlic that was wafting through the air?? Well that came in the form of some roasted red potatoes, which I’m told were made with a little EVOO, salt, pepper, seasoned salt, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder.

Ummm, yeah. Amazing. Open-mouthed smile

And as if that wasn’t already enough, he even remember to include the veggie food group! Fresh salads = Always a good choice.

Thanks, Jay for a fantastic dinner! I’ll be expecting this from you more often now… Winking smile

****************************

How to Celebrate Birthday Week

Ok, so as I mentioned before, my family basically thinks I’m nuts for celebrating Birthday Week. (However, I was happy to see how so many of you do the same…right on my friends!)

But I’ve tried to explain to them that celebrating Birthday Week doesn’t have to mean “giving a gift every day for a week.” Here are some of my suggestions for celebrating Birthday Week with someone special:

Prepare – Birthday Week takes a little planning. Think about the things your birthday person likes. You don’t have to make it big things…

Celebrate – Each day leading up to the big day, surprise your birthday person with something he/she will like.

• Have their favorite dessert after dinner one night
  • Prepare their favorite food
  • $5 gift certificate to their favorite coffee joint
  • Homemade coupons for favors (you can take that one however you’d like!) Winking smile
  • Leave sticky notes each morning (I LOVE getting surprise sticky notes!)
  • Let him/her have control of the TV for an entire night
  • 5 iTunes songs
  • Favorite candy
  • Rent a movie of his/her choice

The possibilities really are endless! And Birthday’s are special, so why not celebrate a little longer, right?

Alright folks, gotta make it quick tonight. We’ve got some cleaning to do around this place before we have company over this weekend. Open-mouthed smile

Question for the Night:

What would you add to the list to celebrate YOUR Birthday Week?

1 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles January 26, 2011 at 8:32 pm

That is so sweet of your husband to have dinner ready for you!

2 Stacie January 26, 2011 at 8:37 pm

I’m glad I’m not the only one who celebrates birthday weeks! This year, I went out to dinner with my friends and bar-hopping the weekend before my birthday. Then, the weekend after my birthday I went to Orlando with my best friend and parents to go to Harry Potter World at Universal Studios. I always try to go somewhere fun for my birthday.

Hope you have a good week!
Stacie recently posted..Just one of those days

3 Amber Starr January 26, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Those sandwiches look phenomenal! Definitely saving this recipe to try! Lots of points for your hubby on making all that. :)
Amber Starr recently posted..Perfect For a Chilly Morning

4 Blubeari January 26, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Chobani on the pulled chicken; GENIUS
Blubeari recently posted..January Favorites

5 fsugirl! January 26, 2011 at 9:12 pm

So sweet! Hope you have a GREAT Birthday- you deserve it!! :D

6 Blog is the New Black January 26, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Lucky you, dinner waiting!
Blog is the New Black recently posted..What The!

7 Katy (The Singing Runner) January 26, 2011 at 9:25 pm

I definitely need to find a guy like Jay because that dinner looks fantastic. ;)

I’ve never done the birthday week thing, but since I turn the big 2-1 in April, I’m starting to hint ;) to people that I want a birthday week.

8 Anna @ Blissful Whimsy January 26, 2011 at 9:25 pm

I personally believe in Birthday Month :o)
Anna @ Blissful Whimsy recently posted..Enchantment Tuesday

9 Faith @ lovelyascharged January 26, 2011 at 9:35 pm

This year was my first birthday week, and my fam made sure we got to hit all my favorite places – best restaurants, fun stores, veggie cooking demos, etc…so much fun!
Faith @ lovelyascharged recently posted..Spicy Quinoa Stew

10 Pat Rowe January 26, 2011 at 9:52 pm

I thought sticky notes made you cry??? Must be all grown up now, huh?

11 Courtney January 26, 2011 at 10:12 pm

HAHA! Apparently only when they’re in my lunchbox :)

12 erica January 26, 2011 at 11:03 pm

so sweet! youre very lucky to have a man that goes along with birthday week. i think my bf would just tell me “you get a day” hahaha. he’s not the most romantic.
erica recently posted..it’s that time again…

13 Courtney January 27, 2011 at 8:00 am

Don’t be fooled…he still thinks I’m nuts and I had to request him to make me dinner one night this week! ;)

14 Foxy January 27, 2011 at 2:20 am

Love the Birthday Week idea! I am a big fan of celebrating my birthday MONTH as well ;-)

15 Courtney January 27, 2011 at 8:00 am

YES! :-D

16 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine January 27, 2011 at 8:24 am

I just had a cupcake for breakfast…it’s the best way to start off a birthday :) Happy (almost) birthday fellow Januarian!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Food Staples

17 Lindsey @ Cardio Pizza January 27, 2011 at 8:44 am

I LOVE your ideas for celebrating a birthday week. I’m going to make sure Andy’s birthday later in the spring is extra special! :)

Your dinner looks great! I love some roasted potatoes!

18 Lisa @ Healthy Diaries January 27, 2011 at 8:53 am

Way to go Jay! The other day I got home and my husband had washed and put way all the dirty dishes! Ahhh if only they would do things like this more often! =)

Dinner looked fantastic by the way! Thanks for the slow cooker recipe. I’m always looking for new ideas!
Lisa @ Healthy Diaries recently posted..Sometimes You Just Need to Push Yourself

19 chelsey @ cleaneatingchelsey January 27, 2011 at 10:04 am

I just found your blog, and I love it! I’m subscribing asap! Happy Birthday week! :)
chelsey @ cleaneatingchelsey recently posted..fired up

20 Johanna January 27, 2011 at 10:21 am

It is my birthdayweek as well, unfortuantely I didn#t really have to best of my life…was filled with packing boxes! have a happy birthdayweek!

21 Laura J. January 27, 2011 at 11:56 am

So sweet of your hubby!! He sounds like a keeper ;) I LOVE the idea of birthday week! Now I just need to introduce the idea to my hubby, haha :)

P.S. I’m making your Choc. PB cupcakes next week for a dinner we’re going too. So. excited. I literally think about them multiple times a day, ha they look redonk delish!

22 Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) January 27, 2011 at 12:37 pm

I would love to walk through the door and have dinner waiting for me. So nice! Everything looks so delicious.
I love extending my birthday too!!

23 Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) January 27, 2011 at 1:24 pm

what a wonderful hubby!! AHH I love bbq pulled chicken.. its actually AMAZINGLY delicious!
Carrie (Moves ‘N Munchies) recently posted..The Big Carb Debate…

24 Jaclyn January 27, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Happy birthday WEEK!
Love that the hubz made you dinner – so cute!!
Jaclyn recently posted..Hot Yoga- Frozen Yogurt

25 Sarah May C January 27, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Hey Courtney, happy birthday week! I love the look of that recipe – think I am going to have to surprise my hubby with that one sometime soon – he would absolutely love it – how delicious! Love the new blog layout btw, looks great. Glad to see you are being looked after in your special week as you deserve – I have definitely gained some inspiration from your birthday week concept… making plans for a milestone birthday this June! Take care, & enjoy!! Sarah :0)

26 ashley@quasichick January 27, 2011 at 9:58 pm

What a sweet hubby :) How about getting their car washed?