Cake For Breakfast?

by Courtney on February 1, 2011

So you all remember these delectable treats, right??

Man, I wish I had saved some for the freezer!

WELL, the little bites of heaven are participating in Charlie’s Chocolate Chip Cookie Challenge, and they need your votes! Open-mouthed smile

To check out the challenge (and hopefully give me your vote! Winking smile) you can click here. Thanks, guys!!

***************************

So, now onto some other treats…

Yesterday when I got home from work, I put together a recipe that I’ve been waiting to try for a Protein Pumpkin Breakfast Cake.

The recipe really couldn’t be any easier to follow, and the cake itself turned out really good. I couldn’t WAIT to dive right into it this morning! Open-mouthed smile

I sliced myself about 1/9th of the cake, and topped it with a dollop of non-fat, plain Chobani, banana slices, a sprinkle of cinnamon, and a drizzle of light maple syrup.

OH MY.

The cake has a very dense and very moist consistency, making it nice and filling. It has just the slightest hint of sweetness which comes in part from the diced apples that are inside.

(I’ll be posting the recipe later tonight!) Smile

So because I was so excited to eat my “cake for breakfast,” I gave myself enough time to enjoy it at home, along with my mug-o-joe. Mmmm mmmm, GOOD!

Truth be told, with the weather being as nasty as it was today, I was kind of banking on being sent home early from work.

IMG_8210IMG_8211

Just look at this stuff…gross. I’m really over this snow. (Unless, however, we get another snow day tomorrow…then I’ll tolerate it just a little longer.) Winking smile

So since I did the horrible assumption of leaving early, I did a pretty lame-o job of putting together a decent lunch. (Mom always told me…NEVER assume. It makes an ass out of u and me. Eye rolling smile)

On my way out the door, I quickly grabbed a can of Campbell’s Tomato Garden soup & my box of Kashi crackers. When it comes to canned soup, I try not to eat too much of it because of all that sodium, but it works in a pinch. This variety is actually one of my favorites!

I also ended up snacking on a 100 calorie pack of these Emerald Cocoa Roast Almonds mid-afternoon. They are good. REAL good. Smile

Workout

I’m finally starting to get my exercise mojo back after taking four days off. Maybe it was because I was in Birthday mode, but I really just had no desire to workout this past weekend. Sometimes it happens. Oh well.

So this morning before work, I started my day with some Jillian Michael’s Yoga Meltdown. It felt so good to stretch it out.

Then this afternoon after work, I hopped on the treadmill and did my favorite HIIT workout (alternating 20 seconds @ 9.0mph & 40 seconds @ 4.5mph for 20 minutes) plus a little extra steady running which covered about 3.75 miles.

*************************

Now I’m about to head out into the kitchen and try to whip up something for dinner to go along with the loaf of bread I have cookin’ in the bread machine. Hopefully my bread-making skills have improved. Winking smile

Question for the Evening:

Do you find that the more time you take off from working out, the harder it is to get back into it?

1 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) February 1, 2011 at 6:57 pm

That protein breakfast cake looks SOO good…keeping us in suspense for the recipe huh? :P

I definitely find it harder after taking time off from exercise! When I was injured a couple of months ago, a took a full week off, and found I had had zero motivation after that! But sounds like you’ve got your exercise mojo back! :)

2 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) February 1, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Oh, and I’ve just voted!! Hope yours wins-it definitely deserves to! :D

3 Natalie @ While I Breathe February 1, 2011 at 7:14 pm

heading over to vote now! they look awesome though I might top mine with peanut butter ;)

It always takes me a long time to get back on a work out routine after taking time off, its a bad cycle to get stuck it.. i hear it takes 21 days of consistent behavior for something to become a habit so working on that now! :)

4 Blog is the New Black February 1, 2011 at 7:15 pm

I am SO down with cake for bfast! I hope you get a snow day, too. ;)
Blog is the New Black recently posted..Online Bake Sale

5 Erica February 1, 2011 at 7:29 pm

omg! how funny! i just wrote a post on that exact quote! hahaha.

i’m struggling right now. i took a week off from the gym because my allergies were off the charts and i was just miserable, and now that i’m better, i’m having trouble getting myself back in the gym….
Erica recently posted..never assume

6 Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) February 1, 2011 at 7:30 pm

I voted for ya!

That breakfast cake looks unbelievably amazing!!!
Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) recently posted..1388… Stuffed Shells

7 Kristi February 1, 2011 at 7:31 pm

I can’t wait for the protein pumpkin breakfast cake recipe! That looks fabulous.
I’m trying to get my exercise mojo back, but it’s been difficult for the past few… months. I’m ashamed to say that Hopefully I’ll get back on track soon.
Kristi recently posted..Happy Blueberry Day!

8 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles February 1, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Oooh, I’m so excited to see this recipe. That cake looks fab!
Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles recently posted..San Diego Preview

9 Katy (The Singing Runner) February 1, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Please post that recipe… like NOW! Haha! ;)

I went and voted! :)

10 Lauren (Healthy Delicious) February 1, 2011 at 7:38 pm

love love love the idea of breakfast cake! also we had the same snack today. ;)
Lauren (Healthy Delicious) recently posted..Oat Bran-Applesauce Muffins from Power Foods

11 Melissa February 1, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Can’t wait for that recipe! The cake looks unbelievably good & I need a new breakfast to spice things up!

Lately, I have been dragging through my workouts because I am training for a race & I feel like I HAVE to run which is kind of a drag. I did do that Jackie Warner workout the other day, though, & it was great! I was a little scared she might reach out of the TV & kick my butt, though! ;)

12 Karen February 1, 2011 at 7:58 pm

The pumpkin cake looks delicious! I do find it difficult to get back into my workout routine after taking a few days off! After a break I usually take it easy on my first workout just to get back into the swing of things.
Karen recently posted..I’m Ready

13 Jess@atasteofconfidence February 1, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Yes, definitely- the longer I don’t work out, the less I feel motivated to. I need to be in a groove!
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..Crepes &amp Skates

14 Emily @ Relishments February 1, 2011 at 8:04 pm

I just wanted to say that I’m totally obsessed with flavored nuts. Blue Diamond makes some good varieties too-sea salt, chocolate and honey, among others. I’ve been eating them for dessert with my lunches. So good!
Emily @ Relishments recently posted..Highlights- Cheesy Blog Posts

15 Megan (Braise The Roof) February 1, 2011 at 8:19 pm

That cake looks awesome! I love easy breakfast recipes that can be made ahead, because Lord knows I don’t have the energy to cook in the morning. :) We were actually sent home early today because of the snow here in Chicago- but you’re right, it’s dangerous to assume and underpack your lunch!!
Megan (Braise The Roof) recently posted..Falafelly Convenient- Old Chap

16 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 1, 2011 at 8:27 pm

That breakfast looks amazing!!! I was not banking on getting sent home early today since I’m a teacher and my district wasn’t closing early. However, my principal knew how dangerous it would be for people who live out of town to drive home and had other teachers take over my class for the last hour. I was so so so grateful!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..happy irish woman

17 ashley@quasichick February 1, 2011 at 8:57 pm

That pumpkin cakes looks so good :) and moist!
ashley@quasichick recently posted..My Big 4 Year Old–Enjoy!

18 Katie H February 1, 2011 at 9:30 pm

I voted for you! :) Fingers crossed for a snow day. Even if my office doesn’t close, I am declaring a self-imposed snow day. Woohoo

19 Courtney February 1, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Good for you! I just got the call about an hour ago…no work for me tomorrow! :)