When Organization Pays Off

by Courtney on February 10, 2011

Thank goodness I’m organized!!!

Last night, I scrambled through all of my old receipts to see if I could find the one for my last car battery that I bought. Thankfully, I still had it saved…from October 2009!

So this morning, when Jay and I went to go buy the replacement, we soon found out that it was still under warranty, which meant…

No cost for meeee!! Open-mouthed smile

After we picked up the battery, we headed back to the “scene of the crime” so Jay could replace it for me.

I am so incredibly lucky to have a man who’s so darn handy! He really is the best. Smile

Since we were in a hurry to get it done (Jay still had to get back to work) I quickly grabbed a few things from the kitchen to snack on…

A ‘naner

Coffeeeeeee

And I stuffed my coat pocket with about two handfuls of Quaker Oatmeal Squares.

It held off hunger for then, but as soon as I got home, I snacked on a Chobani and a few more handfuls of cereal. Not the most exciting “breakfast,” but it will do for today.

After snacking, I got to work on paying a few bills, which Cody gladly came to help me with.

He’s such a “lap cat” – I love it. Winking smile

*******************************

In a few minutes, I’m headed out the door for my second round of allergy testing, which is focusing on food allergies today.

The doctor told me to try to keep a food diary and write down any foods that I find to bother my stomach. Well, let me tell you…this is not an easy task when your stomach bothers you on a daily basis! Either way, here’s what I have been able to come up with so far, even though I’m not quite positive that any of these are culprits at all??

• onions
  • garlic
  • xanthan gum
  • whey protein
  • breads (in excess)
  • hommus?? (weird, I know)
  • pasta (specifically, whole wheat or whole grain)

And since I’m not sure about those, I also have a list of foods/beverages that I eat rather frequently:

• Greek yogurt
  • carrots
  • bananas
  • broccoli
  • tomatoes
  • leafy greens
  • coffee
  • milk (cow & almond)

We’ll see what happens! I’ll be sure to keep ya’ll updated. Smile

Question for the Day:

What foods bother your stomach? Do you have any allergies to food?

1 Katy (The Singing Runner) February 10, 2011 at 11:38 am

Geez girl! I can’t believe you saved that receipt! I need to become more organized!

Hope the allergy testing goes well! :D

2 Christina @ Food.Fun.Fabulous. February 10, 2011 at 11:42 am

I am so thankful that I have no food allergies. Half of my bf’s family is allergic to nuts – I think I would go crazy if that were me!
Christina @ Food.Fun.Fabulous. recently posted..More Goodies – This Time Larabar!

3 Blog is the New Black February 10, 2011 at 11:43 am

Score on the “free” battery! Great job. Good luck with allergy testing, lady. I am slightly lactose-intolerant, but I think most people are!
Blog is the New Black recently posted..Monterey Chicken with Cilantro Lime Rice

4 Lauren @ Hungry Dancer February 10, 2011 at 11:52 am

Wow organization really does pay off!!
Lauren @ Hungry Dancer recently posted..Weirdo Wednesday

5 Leanne (For Health's Sake) February 10, 2011 at 11:55 am

Pasta doesn’t always agree with me! :(
Leanne (For Health’s Sake) recently posted..Honest &amp Upfront

6 Tina February 10, 2011 at 12:08 pm

I am the same way with keeping reciepts! You never know when you will need it! And luckily, you didn’t get charged for your new battery!

I have several food allergies/sensitivites, one of them is sesame seeds, so I can’t eat hummus if it has tahini (gournd sesame seeds) in it, which most do. I either buy tahini-free hummus from trader joe’s or make my own at home! The most common food allergies are wheat, soy, egg, corn, nuts, fish, peanuts and dairy, so it’s possible that you have a few food you react to. Good luck with your testing!
Tina recently posted..Supplement Reviews

7 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 10, 2011 at 12:36 pm

So many foods upset my stomach – I got tested for environmental allergies before, but now I’m thinking about coming in for food allergies to see. I know I have intolerances to a few foods!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..happy irish woman

8 Jen February 10, 2011 at 12:39 pm

I just realized bananas hurt my stomach, but only when I eat them PLAIN, as an afternoon snack…weird, right? I can eat the mixed in oats or cereal, in banana bread, etc. but for some reason if I eat them alone it kills!! And I just figured this out recently…after I stopped eating them plain I haven’t had any trouble. Weird.
Jen recently posted..Florida Beer and Lots of Chocolate

9 Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl February 10, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Good luck with the allergy testing! And nice thinking with the battery – I would never have thought to save those receipts!

I have a bunch of food intolerances but not any true allergies. Wheat, lactose (but it goes away if I stop eating wheat???), bananas, avocados, kiwis, and chestnuts. Yeah…random. :)
Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl recently posted..Down the Road

10 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries February 10, 2011 at 1:18 pm

I had the worst stomach problems for a long time! It seemed like everything upset it. I actually went to a gastroenterologist last month, and I was diagnosed with Crohn’s. People usually feel bad when I say that – but it was the best news! Medicine is such a great help! I hope they figure out what’s bothering you SOON! Tummy troubles are no fun.

11 bananas February 10, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Good luck with your testing! It is a hard path trying to figure out what exactly it is that is bothering you especially when you are only slightly intolerant. I avoid gluten as best I can… I try to buy gluten free everything. I haven’t been diagnosed with celiac disease but my body and skin feel a lot better when I avoid it. It is extremely hard since gluten is in EVERYTHING (toothpaste, body lotion, soups, drinks, etc).

12 Kelly February 10, 2011 at 3:21 pm

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the xanthum gum…that stuff is bad news.

13 Erin @ The Grass Skirt February 10, 2011 at 3:24 pm

I cannot eat dairy products because they make me constipated. Lovely, isn’t it?
Erin @ The Grass Skirt recently posted..Looking Back

14 Stefanie @TheNewHealthy February 10, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Good luck with the second round of allergy tests! I’d be crossing my fingers it had nothing to do with coffee! The horror! ;)

15 Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) February 10, 2011 at 5:00 pm

I’m really lucky not to have any food allergies and rarely does anything bother my stomach. Knock on wood! Good luck with the testing!

16 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine February 10, 2011 at 6:49 pm

I have a stomach of steel!! Literally the ONLY thing that really bothers it is raw red peppers. So random, but sad because I love them! Hope you get it all figured out soon.
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Josies Restaurant

17 Courtney February 10, 2011 at 9:52 pm

You are a lucky gal!!

18 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles February 10, 2011 at 7:25 pm

It’s so great that you were able to find your receipt – score! I really need to keep better track of receipts for big purchases like that. Do you keep a special folder for them all?

19 Courtney February 10, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Yes, I keep a flex binder with all of my various receipts/pay stubs/credit card statements. It definitely helps! :)