Early Bird Gets The Extra Cardio

by Courtney on February 24, 2011

I woke up this morning bright eyed and bushy tailed (well, that’s a lie…that never really happens, but I try) ready to head to morning BodyPump class.

I made sure to check the schedule I keep posted on my fridge last night before going to bed and had everything ready so I could head out for the 8:30am class…or so I thought.

I got to the gym promptly at 8:00am, since we’re supposed to sign up for classes 30 minutes in advance, but when I asked the woman at the desk to sign up for pump, she looked at me a little funny?

Woman: “Aren’t you a little early, hun?” (<—which, FYI, I can’t stand when people call me “hun”)

Me: “Isn’t the class at 8:30? I checked my schedule?”

Woman: “Oh hunny (AHHH!!), you must have an old schedule. Pump doesn’t start until 9:15 on Thursdays now.”

I knew I should have picked up another schedule recently!!! Confused smile

So since I now had an extra hour and 15 minutes to spare, I took my time getting ready in the locker room, then headed up for some cardio. I did a mish mash of work on the treadmill:

• 20 mins HIIT (20 seconds @ 9.0mph / 40 seconds @ 4.5mph)
  • 10 mins walking @ 4.0mph with an incline of 10%
  • 10 mins jogging @ 6.5mph
  • 5 mins cool down

So in actuality, my extreme promptness worked out pretty well, and I got an awesome workout today. Hey, I’ll take it. Early bird gets the extra cardio! Winking smile

The only downside to my early bird actions? I was 45 minutes later than planned, so I’m sure you can imagine that I was ravenous by the time I got home. My little Clif Z Bar pre-workout only held me over until about halfway through BodyPump, then the tummy grumbles started.

So I came home and quickly toasted an Arnold’s Sandwich Thin, and topped it with some pumpkin + PB + banana.

I love adding the pumpkin with my peanut butter because it really doesn’t change the taste all that much, it gives more “bulk” to the toast itself, AND I’m squeezing in extra veggies. It’s a win-win(-win)! Open-mouthed smile

I also had to make a quick pit-stop on the way home for some coffee, which was then turned into my favorite hot cocoa coffee once I got home. Yummmmm. Smile

Now I’ve gotta run and go get ready because I have a special “Girls Day” planned with my favorite ladies today!

*Just a reminder – in case you feel so inclined to give me your vote!* Winking smile

Question for the Day:

What was the last time/scheduling “oops” that you made?

1 Jess@atasteofconfidence February 24, 2011 at 11:22 am

I hate people calling me hun, sweetie etc, too. I am not a little kid!
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..man candy

2 Alyssa Kuminski February 24, 2011 at 11:23 am

Have fun on your girls day!! Awesome workout this morning – That’s a perfect way to start your day…minus the “hun” name calling.
Alyssa Kuminski recently posted..Wordy Wednesday

3 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) February 24, 2011 at 11:25 am

Aww well at least you got an awesome workout, right hun? :P Sorry, had to throw that in, please don’t hate me!! I don’t mind ‘hun’ too much, but I can’t STAND people calling me ‘darling’. Patronising!!

I actually did the EXACT same thing two days ago with a spin class!! Stupid timetable changes! And I HAVE to try that pumpkin+PB combo! Sounds DELISH! :D

P.S. I voted for you- you deserve it!! :)
Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) recently posted..My inner geek

4 Courtney February 24, 2011 at 11:28 am

HAHAHA, Emma, you made me laugh out loud! Thanks so much, DARLING.
j/k ;) mwaahahaha

5 Karen February 24, 2011 at 11:35 am

I HATE when people call me “hun” too it makes me feel like I’m being patronized. When you add pumpkin to PB etc do you just use pumpkin from a can? Sounds delish and I have a can of pumpkin hanging out in my cabinet still leftover from Thanksgiving baking…

6 Courtney February 24, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Yup! That’s exactly what I do.
You should also take some of that pumpkin and mix it into some vanilla or plain Greek yogurt, along with some cinnamon and raisins. DELISH! :)

7 Lauren @ Hungry Dancer February 24, 2011 at 1:14 pm

At least you got some extra cardio!! That’s always a good thing!!
Lauren @ Hungry Dancer recently posted..Almond Butta

8 Lindsay February 24, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Courtney, How do you do this? Do you not work on Thursdays or something?

9 fsugirl! February 24, 2011 at 7:05 pm

She’s on winter recess! Not fair.. jk :D

10 Courtney February 24, 2011 at 8:17 pm

I’m on vacation this week :)

11 Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) February 24, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Anything is better than “Mam”. Oooh that spelling looks weird. Is that how you spell it?

12 Holly February 24, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Ahhhh I HATE hun too! Drives me BANANAS! I hate when anyone says that to me, especially if it’s someone younger than me.
Holly recently posted..Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Muffins

13 Alexa @ Simple Eats February 24, 2011 at 2:17 pm

You always make me want hot cocoa coffee! I’m so jealous you get to go to Body Pump, there’s no gym super close to me that has it. Have a fabulous, fun day!
Alexa @ Simple Eats recently posted..Learn Your ABC’s

14 Michelle February 24, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Hi! Love your blog!! It’s adorable. I recently saw that you are allergic to oats? Clif bars have oats in them! EEKkk be careful!!

15 Ally (oatsandspice) February 24, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Ohhh I hate when they change the schedule – I have totally done that before… and I always get there super early anyways!
Ally (oatsandspice) recently posted..Natural and E-Z

16 Melissa February 24, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Scheduling oops’s are the worst! I always feel so scattered when that happens. It totally throws me off! I had planned to go with a coworker to workout on Tuesday, but over the long weekend, I completely forgot and had a bunch of errands planned for Tuesday. I still squeezed everything in, but it totally stressed me out!

17 Erica February 24, 2011 at 2:50 pm

i did the opposite of you….my yoga class started 1/2 an hour earlier than what it used to so my friend and i walked in about 20 min. “late”….i hate barging in on a yoga class in progress! ;/
Erica recently posted..a case of the tuesdays…

18 kate@ahealthypassion February 24, 2011 at 3:53 pm

that happened last wee with my kickboxing I hate when they move classes and I have no clue, at least we were early rather than late!
kate@ahealthypassion recently posted..Light Box

19 Liz @ IHeartVegetables February 24, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Yum I’ve never thought about adding pumpkin to my peanut butter! That’s a great idea!
Liz @ IHeartVegetables recently posted..Girls Night In!

20 Andrea February 24, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Not a fan of “hun” either.

Voted on Women’s Health for you! Love reading your blog!