Fashion Friday: The SkinnyShirt

Happy Fashion Friday!!

Today’s Topic: The SkinnyShirt

I’ve always been a huge fan of the preppy sweater-over-a-button-down look.

Ok, well maybe not when I was 8, and that’s what my mom was trying to dress me in. But eventually, as I came to develop a love of fashion and trends, I grew into the style. Apparently mom knew what she was talking about. Winking smile

However, the one thing that I absolutely can’t stand when I attempt to create this look is the added bulk and bunching it creates. So annoying, right?!? Not only does it feel uncomfortable, but it can also make your frame appear much bigger than it really is.

So the other night, I was flipping through my February issue of Shape Magazine, and practically flipped right out of my chair when I saw this:

The SkinnyShirt!

The SkinnyShirt combines the classic, preppy look of a button-down shirt with a stretchy knit camisole, which helps eliminate any unwanted bunch and bulk. It helps keep the entire look streamlined with a smooth silhouette, and can go with practically anything!

Think: v-necks, crew necks, scoop necks, cardigans, tank tops, short sleeves, or long sleeves. Simply genius, if you ask me.

The SkinnyShirt comes in a small variety of colors and patterns, with sleeves or without, but from the looks of their website, it appears as though there may be more to come in the future?

The one hesitation I have is that it does come in at a fairly hefty price tag for such a simple shirt, around $68-$76, depending on the style and pattern. But on the other hand, it could be a worthy investment. I mean, it is quite versatile?

Hmmmm…decisions, decisions!

What do YOU think?…

Fashion Friday Questions for the Day:

Are you a fan of the preppy, layered sweater look?

Would you invest money in a shirt like this?

Which expensive fashion items do you think are worthy of their hefty price tag?

that’s awesome!!! why didn’t i think of that..haha. hopefully more stores will catch on to that trend and hopefully offer some in lower $$…like say, target? haha.

This is fabulous!! I love this look, but like you said – I hate that it always makes me look 10 pounds heavier than I really am! I’d love to buy one, but I think I’ll wait until someone else comes out with a lower price. Plus, it’s almost summer and I won’t be wearing layered sweaters and button ups. Thank you so much for posting this great find! Have a great Friday! :)

3. Kelly says

I love that and in a basic white this would be a great investment piece. I would definitely shell out that money for one.

I loooove the preppy layered look. I hate the bunching too, but I’ve found that if you use sweaters with cables, it doesn’t show through nearly as much. Although, that skinny shirt is genius- maybe get one in a solid color and see if you like it? Oooor You could ask for a discount if you review it here :)
    Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..A Pain in the Butt

5. Shayla says

I saw that in Shape and I got so excited too! I love the look and am always so frustrated when mine bunches up, but this is a great alternative! I’ve also wanted to try the collared buttoned up shirt body suit from Victoria’s Secret. Doesn’t seem it’d be as comfortable as this one since it’s a bodysuit, but I’ve always wanted to try it since I hate the bunching but love the look and always wanted a way to pull it off!

6. Whitney says

I’ve never been a fan of the layered sweater look. I would feel to business wearing that out. The only expensive items I think are worthy of the price tag are my designer handbags and jeans! They last forever! :)

• Courtney says

Haha, well I don’t know if I’d wear the layered sweater look for a night out on the town… 😉
      But I do like it for work!

7. Whitney says

I’ve never been a fan of the layered sweater look. I would feel to business wearing that for a night out. The only things that I think are worthy for the expensive price are my handbags and jeans! :) They last forever!

I like the preppy look. I think it’s especially great for people who have to pull off the business casual look at work. That is a hefty price tag, but the essentials usually are. I think jeans, shoes, and essential pieces like this one are worth spending your $$$ on. I like Fashion Fridays!

Aaaaaaand apparently I am a crazy person because I was talking to you as I was reading this post! As in, “YES! Exactly! I hate that!” as I read your description of the added bulk and bunching. Love the look, can’t deal with the bunchy-ness.

Anyway, I don’t know if I would invest in one of these because I don’t do this look all that often. But then again, maybe I would wear it if I had a shirt that fit so well . . . I am a bit of a preppy chick!

I am willing to invest in jeans and shoes, but I have also found great cheapie options of both, so I guess I would just rather get more for my money!
    Melissa recently posted..CtrlAltDelete

I like! But I do wish it had a fake bottom part too… I like to have a little bit of shirt poking out from the bottom as well as the top.

I wonder how difficult it would be to hack up an old blouse and sew the pieces onto a cami… might be a cheaper option if you’re at all handy with a sewing machine. I don’t think ti would be too difficult, since all of the seams would be covered by the sweater anyway and don’t need t be totally perfect.
    Lauren (Healthy Delicious) recently posted..Udon Noodles in Tea Broth with Smoked Turkey

I love the sweater over a button down look, but also hate the bunchy look it gives at times. These shirts are genius! The price is a little hefty tho…