Fashion Friday: The SkinnyShirt

by Courtney on March 11, 2011

Happy Fashion Friday!!

Today’s Topic: The SkinnyShirt

I’ve always been a huge fan of the preppy sweater-over-a-button-down look.

source

Ok, well maybe not when I was 8, and that’s what my mom was trying to dress me in. But eventually, as I came to develop a love of fashion and trends, I grew into the style. Apparently mom knew what she was talking about. Winking smile

sourcesource

However, the one thing that I absolutely can’t stand when I attempt to create this look is the added bulk and bunching it creates. So annoying, right?!? Not only does it feel uncomfortable, but it can also make your frame appear much bigger than it really is.

So the other night, I was flipping through my February issue of Shape Magazine, and practically flipped right out of my chair when I saw this:

The SkinnyShirt!

The SkinnyShirt combines the classic, preppy look of a button-down shirt with a stretchy knit camisole, which helps eliminate any unwanted bunch and bulk. It helps keep the entire look streamlined with a smooth silhouette, and can go with practically anything!

Think: v-necks, crew necks, scoop necks, cardigans, tank tops, short sleeves, or long sleeves. Simply genius, if you ask me.

The SkinnyShirt comes in a small variety of colors and patterns, with sleeves or without, but from the looks of their website, it appears as though there may be more to come in the future?

skinnyshirt

The one hesitation I have is that it does come in at a fairly hefty price tag for such a simple shirt, around $68-$76, depending on the style and pattern. But on the other hand, it could be a worthy investment. I mean, it is quite versatile?

Hmmmm…decisions, decisions!

What do YOU think?…

Fashion Friday Questions for the Day:

Are you a fan of the preppy, layered sweater look?

Would you invest money in a shirt like this?

Which expensive fashion items do you think are worthy of their hefty price tag?

1 Faith @ lovelyascharged March 11, 2011 at 8:19 am

That’s pretty schnazzy, I say doooo it!
Faith @ lovelyascharged recently posted..How to Make Your Own Healthy Cereal

2 Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews March 11, 2011 at 8:27 am

That is cute! I’ve never worn it like that before.
Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews recently posted..Welcome Friday Hoppers!

3 Jen March 11, 2011 at 8:47 am

that’s awesome!!! why didn’t i think of that..haha. hopefully more stores will catch on to that trend and hopefully offer some in lower $$…like say, target? haha.

4 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries March 11, 2011 at 9:11 am

This is fabulous!! I love this look, but like you said – I hate that it always makes me look 10 pounds heavier than I really am! I’d love to buy one, but I think I’ll wait until someone else comes out with a lower price. Plus, it’s almost summer and I won’t be wearing layered sweaters and button ups. Thank you so much for posting this great find! Have a great Friday! :)

5 Kelly March 11, 2011 at 9:28 am

I love that and in a basic white this would be a great investment piece. I would definitely shell out that money for one.

6 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine March 11, 2011 at 11:30 am

I loooove the preppy layered look. I hate the bunching too, but I’ve found that if you use sweaters with cables, it doesn’t show through nearly as much. Although, that skinny shirt is genius- maybe get one in a solid color and see if you like it? Oooor You could ask for a discount if you review it here :)
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..A Pain in the Butt

7 Courtney March 11, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Hahaha, I like the way you think :)

8 erica March 11, 2011 at 12:20 pm

i say go for it! that’s one of the largest reasons why i never try out that look, because of the bulk and the bunchy-ness! genius idea!
erica recently posted..modeling is tough

9 Kristen March 11, 2011 at 12:43 pm

I love this idea! but it is a bit expensive, I dont know if I would pay that much
Kristen recently posted..Guided Transfers to org

10 Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) March 11, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I’ve always been a fan of those kinds of shirt. Look so classy but with style :)
Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) recently posted..Cause You’re Hot Then You’re Cold

11 Ashley @ Cupcakes & Combat Boots March 11, 2011 at 12:52 pm

I saw that article in Shape too and was intrigued. However, I am too cheap to pay that much for one shirt. I’m just hoping that maybe Target or some other discount store will design a variation of the shirt soon, because it is a great idea!
Ashley @ Cupcakes & Combat Boots recently posted..MilSpouse Friday Fill-In 33

12 Shayla March 11, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I saw that in Shape and I got so excited too! I love the look and am always so frustrated when mine bunches up, but this is a great alternative! I’ve also wanted to try the collared buttoned up shirt body suit from Victoria’s Secret. Doesn’t seem it’d be as comfortable as this one since it’s a bodysuit, but I’ve always wanted to try it since I hate the bunching but love the look and always wanted a way to pull it off!

13 Whitney March 11, 2011 at 3:12 pm

I’ve never been a fan of the layered sweater look. I would feel to business wearing that out. The only expensive items I think are worthy of the price tag are my designer handbags and jeans! They last forever! :)

14 Courtney March 11, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Haha, well I don’t know if I’d wear the layered sweater look for a night out on the town… ;)
But I do like it for work!

15 Whitney March 11, 2011 at 3:13 pm

I’ve never been a fan of the layered sweater look. I would feel to business wearing that for a night out. The only things that I think are worthy for the expensive price are my handbags and jeans! :) They last forever!

16 Susan March 11, 2011 at 3:41 pm

I love it! I will have to check that out, I would love to be able to wear a look like that at work, but the temp is always so fluctuating that I can’t wear a bulky button down..
Susan recently posted..Ready for my next 12 weeks

17 Michelle @ Living Learning Earning March 11, 2011 at 3:41 pm

I saw this shirt in the magazine and loved it! I think it’s such a great idea. I never wear this look because I just don’t like how bulky I feel. I’m always pulling at the shirt underneath.
Michelle @ Living Learning Earning recently posted..OOIAJ- A Failure

18 Parita @ myinnershakti March 11, 2011 at 3:52 pm

I like the preppy look. I think it’s especially great for people who have to pull off the business casual look at work. That is a hefty price tag, but the essentials usually are. I think jeans, shoes, and essential pieces like this one are worth spending your $$$ on. I like Fashion Fridays!

19 Melissa March 11, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Aaaaaaand apparently I am a crazy person because I was talking to you as I was reading this post! As in, “YES! Exactly! I hate that!” as I read your description of the added bulk and bunching. Love the look, can’t deal with the bunchy-ness.

Anyway, I don’t know if I would invest in one of these because I don’t do this look all that often. But then again, maybe I would wear it if I had a shirt that fit so well . . . I am a bit of a preppy chick!

I am willing to invest in jeans and shoes, but I have also found great cheapie options of both, so I guess I would just rather get more for my money!
Melissa recently posted..CtrlAltDelete

20 Victoria (District Chocoholic) March 11, 2011 at 7:04 pm

I *LOVE* the look and would totally spend the money. Normal fit clothes rarely look good on me because I have big old swimmer shoulders. Thanks for the tip!
Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..Valrhona Chocolate Assortment- Plain Ganaches

21 Lauren (Healthy Delicious) March 11, 2011 at 7:10 pm

I like! But I do wish it had a fake bottom part too… I like to have a little bit of shirt poking out from the bottom as well as the top.

I wonder how difficult it would be to hack up an old blouse and sew the pieces onto a cami… might be a cheaper option if you’re at all handy with a sewing machine. I don’t think ti would be too difficult, since all of the seams would be covered by the sweater anyway and don’t need t be totally perfect.
Lauren (Healthy Delicious) recently posted..Udon Noodles in Tea Broth with Smoked Turkey

22 Cara March 11, 2011 at 8:09 pm

I love the sweater over a button down look, but also hate the bunchy look it gives at times. These shirts are genius! The price is a little hefty tho…

23 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 11, 2011 at 9:14 pm

I like that look too, but hey – I’m a teacher. I think it’s in our blood. That shirt is a really good idea, but I doubt I would shell out $70 for one!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..preemptive intuitive eating

24 Alexa @ SimpleEats March 11, 2011 at 11:02 pm

I saw this in Shape the other day, too! I love the preppy look. I wear it once a week to work. A collared shirt with a cardigan over it it super comfy and stylish at the same time!
Alexa @ SimpleEats recently posted..The Kitchen Sink

25 Charlie March 12, 2011 at 12:45 am

I think 70$ is fine for a shirt that creates a lot of different outfits :).
Charlie recently posted..Fitness Friday- Homemade Tropical Pineapple Sports Drink