Meals You Grow Up With

by Courtney on March 15, 2011

Hey everyone! How’s your Tuesday been?

Mine has been a rather long one, and since I just stepped foot in the door at 8:15 and still need to spend some time with my boys, I hope you won’t mind if I make tonight’s post a quickie!

Workout

Today got started on the right foot, with an early morning workout. I was in the mood to run, so to the treadmill I went, and completed 4.2 miles in 40 minutes. Not too shabby!

Breakfast

Brought to work with me today in my favorite cereal container!

Believe it or not, I actually created my biggest cereal combo to date this morning!

Quaker Oatmeal Squares, Cinnamon Cheerios, Kashi Go Lean Crisp, me & goji Fantastically Festive, chia seeds, vanilla almond milk, strawberries, and banana slices…WHEW! Disappointed smile

Can I just say how much I love that the chia seeds end up making the milk so much thicker and creamier?!? The end of my cereal bowls always rock now. Winking smile

Lunch

Nothin’ like leftovers for lunch, right?!?

I packed up the rest of last night’s White Chicken Chili, which I promise, tasted much better than it photographs!

And, of course, another piece of healthified corn bread with a little buttah. Smile

Dinner

Tonight, dinner was at mom & dad’s house. No prep, no cooking, no cleaning, and catching up with family = WINNING! Winking smile

Mom cooked up some corned beef in the crockpot today, which ended up being so tender that it practically fell apart with a fork. There’s really only two times I’ll eat corned beef: right around St. Patty’s Day, or on a Reuben sandwich. I must say, however, it tasted pretty good!

Along with my corned beef, I dug into my fair share of boiled potatoes, beets, peas, and some cooked celery & onion to top on the corned beef. It was funny to look down at my plate of food tonight, and realize that this is definitely a normal meal that I grew up with! It was a nice change of pace from my normal meals at home…thanks, Mom! Smile

Sorry to run my dears, but it’s been a long one. I’ll have lots more to chat about tomorrow! Winking smile For now I’m headed to sit and relax with the boys for a few minutes before getting ready for bed…I’m exhausted tonight!

Question for the Evening:

What are some of the meals you remember growing up eating?

On a side note…

***Don’t forget to get your entries in for my $50.00 iHerb.com Shopping Spree! You have until Friday to enter!!

G’Night ya’ll!! Smile

1 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles March 15, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Now that looks like a home-cooked meal! I remember eating spaghetti & meat sauce a lot growing up. I was a picky child, but I’d always eat spaghetti. Have a great night! :)

2 Charlie March 15, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Shepherd’s Pie! I always wanted to add the ketchup myself! One time, I was adding a LOT and my mom said it was enough but I wanted more! And then there was so much that the shepherd’s pie wasn’t good :P.
Charlie recently posted..Carrot Currant Muffins with Sweet Sesame Topping

3 Darcy March 15, 2011 at 8:57 pm

So many meals come to mind when I think about foods I grew up with. Both my parents were great cooks………..
Baked chicken and homemade rice pilaf was a favorite
stewed tomatoes
stuffed peppers
this cassorole with elbow maccorroni, tomatoes, cheese and leftover roast beef
pototo pancakes
homemade sauce, so good, I just put some in a bowl, sprinkled with cheese and ate without pasta!

4 Karen March 15, 2011 at 8:57 pm

I grew up eating Chicken & Waffles. It may sound crazy but it’s awesome! I’ve never had corned beef before, it wasn’t something my family served. It’s actually quite surprising since I have Irish heritage.
Karen recently posted..Eating Habits

5 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 15, 2011 at 8:59 pm

When I was younger, we ate a lot of shake n bake chicken (no joke!) and a lot of processed sides like “lipton” rices and pastas. Definitely not good stuff! My mom tells me now that she feels bad for feeding me that kind of stuff.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..preemptive intuitive eating

6 fsugirl! March 15, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Mmmmmm :D My family used to eat baked chicken, chicken pot pie, home made veggie lasagna and the occasional Happy Meal on BUSY nights! Enjoy your night! :D

7 VanessaG March 15, 2011 at 9:04 pm

I’m a southern girl, so I remember a lot of gravy and biscuits, soup beans and cornbread (not healthified like yours), lots of cobbler, lots of fresh out of our huge garden veggies (yummy!), and fried bologna. Needless to say we didn’t eat healthy. But it is made with love. I loved every bite. :)

8 Jess@atasteofconfidence March 15, 2011 at 9:16 pm

I remember having lots of spaghetti:)
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..Guest Post- Walking my Talk

9 Olivia March 15, 2011 at 9:26 pm

omg your brekkie and lunch look amazing! i’ve never added chia seeds to cold cereal before, but it sounds delicious and I’m definitely going to try it now:) thanks for the tip!
Olivia recently posted..Monday Night

10 Meg March 15, 2011 at 10:09 pm

I’ve always wondered about those spice packets (like the one for the chili) so maybe I’ll get bold and try one!

Growing up, my mom made the BEST stroganoff. :)

11 Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews March 15, 2011 at 10:10 pm

I just bought some corned beef and can’t wait to make it too!
Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews recently posted..Walgreens Brand Health &amp Wellness Products

12 Tara @ The Game of Life March 15, 2011 at 11:48 pm

Love your cereal combo! What exactly are chia seeds? I remember having alot of roast in the crock pot, velveeta shells and cheese, and bagel bites!!! yummyy
Tara @ The Game of Life recently posted..My birthday festivities have already started

13 Grace March 16, 2011 at 7:26 am

I love going crazy with my cereal combos! Most of the meals I remember growing up our comfort food. Chicken casserole, hamburger casserole, meatloaf….it’s hard to believe I’m a vegetarian now=)
Grace recently posted..Hi- my name is Grace…

14 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun March 16, 2011 at 8:02 am

I grew up with very similar meals. In fact…I kind of prefer the no salt added canned peas over frozen because of it.
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Stretch It Out

15 Courtney March 16, 2011 at 8:07 am

YES! Canned peas are SO MUCH better than frozen, in my opinion. :)

16 Khushboo March 16, 2011 at 9:02 am

Two meals which strongly stand out are:

1) Roast chicken stuffed with a rice mixture and roast potatoes and garlic bread on the side- always a winner

2) This african curry dish called ‘groundnut chicken curry’…its basically a curry with a peanut base served with rice and loads of toppings like onions, peanuts, shredded coconut, papaya! It was super yummy- a peanut butter lover’s dream meal!
Khushboo recently posted..The hidden ingredient

17 Kristina @ Life as Kristina March 16, 2011 at 9:04 am

I love mixing cereals!
I grew up with the most picky eating father ever- grilled cheese and tomato soup for lunch and meat/potatoes for dinner-no other veggies….except corn!

18 Courtney March 16, 2011 at 9:13 am

Hahaha that sounds SO similar to my dad! Except peas and green beans could be added to the mix…but only out of a can or out of his garden!

19 Stephanie @ The Cookie Battle March 16, 2011 at 9:24 am

My mother was never the best cook, so we ended up eating the same 7 or 8 meals over and over again, but my grandmother on the other hand, was the best cook EVER. My favorite meal of hers was always fresh ham baked in milk and white wine. Trust me, it was to DIE for. The milk soaks out all the salt in the ham and the wine adds a delicious flavor. Oh I’m salivating.
Stephanie @ The Cookie Battle recently posted..The Dairy Experiment

20 Thetreadmilldiaries March 16, 2011 at 9:29 am

Growing up at our house, it was all about the big Sunday Italian dinners – pasta and meatballs, baked pasta dishes or lasagna. Nowadays, we have these as occasional treats.
Thetreadmilldiaries recently posted..Color Me Nutty

21 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries March 16, 2011 at 10:01 am

I love going over to my parent’s for a home-cooked meal! We were a steak-and-potatoes kinda family. I don’t eat like that much anymore, but it’s still good every once and a while!
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Icing Overload

22 Melissa March 16, 2011 at 10:36 am

Mmmmm! Love beets!

We ate a lot of chicken. I mean, A LOT. One night, my brother asked what was for dinner and my mom said, “chicken,” like usual. My brother went berserk and started yelling that he was tired of “the same old crap!” He got in big trouble for that one, but after the dust settled, we all started jokingly referring to chicken as the same old crap. It’s been that way for years! :)

23 Emily March 16, 2011 at 10:46 am

In my opinion, cereals were made for major mixing. No bowl is complete without at least 4 varieties plus nuts, fruit and peanut butter!

I remember eating really simple things: grilled cheese and soup, plain pasta and cheese, pancakes (i LOVED breakfast for dinner…still do!)
Emily recently posted..Don’t Mess with the Rest Cuz the Rest Don’t Mess

24 Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) March 16, 2011 at 10:56 am

I love a huge bowl of mixed cereal for breakfast too. The chia seeds definitely spruce it up. I remember growing up with a lot of rice, beans, plantains, and pork. Coming from a Hispanic family my parents liked to feed us a little too well lol
Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) recently posted..One for You- One for Me

25 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine March 16, 2011 at 12:48 pm

My mom made turkey chili all the time growing up. I’d douse mine in about two cups of cheddar cheese and tons of salsa. So good.
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Skreet Sitting

26 cailen March 16, 2011 at 3:44 pm

i LOVE mixing cereals too. my combo generally includes special k, kashi go lean crunch, quick oats, pecans, prunes, cinnamon, nutmeg, banana slices and soy milk : ) so so so yummy!!!

that st. patty’s day dinner looks delish – i cannot wait for my mom’s meal tomorrow night.

ps i found you via women’s day. i read your contribution to the healthy living post and wanted to check out your blog – glad i did! i’ll definitely be back for more. oh, and if you don’t mind me asking, how did you get selected for the women’s day article?
cheers!
cailen
cailen recently posted..gettin lucky –

27 Courtney March 16, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Hi Cailen! Thanks for coming to check out the blog!
I was approached by the editor of the article, asking if I would like to contribute. :)

28 Parita @ myinnershakti March 16, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Growing up we ate a lot of Indian (Gujarati) food, which basically means spiced veggies of different kinds, lentils, rice, and naan type flatbreads. I hated eating it almost every day growing up, but I can honestly say I miss it now!

29 Shayla March 16, 2011 at 6:52 pm

I’ll always remember my mom’s homemade meat sauce and spaghetti! Whenever we come over for dinner I love walking through the door and smelling that homemade sauce that’s been brewing all day long. It brings back childhood memories like none other….it always warms my heart :)

By the way, just wanted to let you know we received the phenomenal Blizzard Butter!! It arrived at the post office on Monday but I was finally able to pick it up today! Thanks so much again and I know my hubby and I can’t wait to indulge in it tonight! I know hands down it’ll again be amazing if not even MORE amazing the second time around ;)

This is random but I also wanted to mention that since I know you love your cereals, have you ever tried Peanut Butter Puffins? I know we’re peanut butter addicts so I was wondering if you’ve tried this amazing cereal….if you haven’t you must try it soon! I also saw that they’re coming soon with a new flavor…..peanut butter and chocolate puffins!!

30 Courtney March 16, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Oh GOOD! I’m glad you got the Blizzard Butter. YAY! :)
I’ve actually never tried the peanut butter puffins. I “think” I tried regular puffins before but I can’t remember??? I’m thinking I may just have to get my hands on a box of those soon though. They sound delightful! :)

31 Shayla March 16, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Oooo you must try them!! They’re way better than the original Puffins….they have a differenet texture and are way yummier with an awesome amount of peanut butter flavor! :)

32 Sarah March 16, 2011 at 10:56 pm

My grandma always made us ham and homemade dumplings EVERY SINGLE TIME we ate at her house!
Sarah recently posted..is it the weekend yet