Meals You Grow Up With

Hey everyone! How’s your Tuesday been?

Mine has been a rather long one, and since I just stepped foot in the door at 8:15 and still need to spend some time with my boys, I hope you won’t mind if I make tonight’s post a quickie!

Workout

Today got started on the right foot, with an early morning workout. I was in the mood to run, so to the treadmill I went, and completed 4.2 miles in 40 minutes. Not too shabby!

Breakfast

Brought to work with me today in my favorite cereal container!

Believe it or not, I actually created my biggest cereal combo to date this morning!

Quaker Oatmeal Squares, Cinnamon Cheerios, Kashi Go Lean Crisp, me & goji Fantastically Festive, chia seeds, vanilla almond milk, strawberries, and banana slices…WHEW! Disappointed smile

Can I just say how much I love that the chia seeds end up making the milk so much thicker and creamier?!? The end of my cereal bowls always rock now. Winking smile

Lunch

Nothin’ like leftovers for lunch, right?!?

I packed up the rest of last night’s White Chicken Chili, which I promise, tasted much better than it photographs!

And, of course, another piece of healthified corn bread with a little buttah. Smile

Dinner

Tonight, dinner was at mom & dad’s house. No prep, no cooking, no cleaning, and catching up with family = WINNING! Winking smile

Mom cooked up some corned beef in the crockpot today, which ended up being so tender that it practically fell apart with a fork. There’s really only two times I’ll eat corned beef: right around St. Patty’s Day, or on a Reuben sandwich. I must say, however, it tasted pretty good!

Along with my corned beef, I dug into my fair share of boiled potatoes, beets, peas, and some cooked celery & onion to top on the corned beef. It was funny to look down at my plate of food tonight, and realize that this is definitely a normal meal that I grew up with! It was a nice change of pace from my normal meals at home…thanks, Mom! Smile

Sorry to run my dears, but it’s been a long one. I’ll have lots more to chat about tomorrow! Winking smile For now I’m headed to sit and relax with the boys for a few minutes before getting ready for bed…I’m exhausted tonight!

Question for the Evening:

What are some of the meals you remember growing up eating?

On a side note…

***Don’t forget to get your entries in for my $50.00 iHerb.com Shopping Spree! You have until Friday to enter!!

G’Night ya’ll!! Smile

Comments

1. Darcy says

So many meals come to mind when I think about foods I grew up with. Both my parents were great cooks………..
    Baked chicken and homemade rice pilaf was a favorite
    stewed tomatoes
    stuffed peppers
    this cassorole with elbow maccorroni, tomatoes, cheese and leftover roast beef
    pototo pancakes
    homemade sauce, so good, I just put some in a bowl, sprinkled with cheese and ate without pasta!

I grew up eating Chicken & Waffles. It may sound crazy but it’s awesome! I’ve never had corned beef before, it wasn’t something my family served. It’s actually quite surprising since I have Irish heritage.
    Karen recently posted..Eating Habits

3. fsugirl! says

Mmmmmm 😀 My family used to eat baked chicken, chicken pot pie, home made veggie lasagna and the occasional Happy Meal on BUSY nights! Enjoy your night! 😀

4. VanessaG says

I’m a southern girl, so I remember a lot of gravy and biscuits, soup beans and cornbread (not healthified like yours), lots of cobbler, lots of fresh out of our huge garden veggies (yummy!), and fried bologna. Needless to say we didn’t eat healthy. But it is made with love. I loved every bite. :)

omg your brekkie and lunch look amazing! i’ve never added chia seeds to cold cereal before, but it sounds delicious and I’m definitely going to try it now:) thanks for the tip!
    Olivia recently posted..Monday Night

I’ve always wondered about those spice packets (like the one for the chili) so maybe I’ll get bold and try one!

Growing up, my mom made the BEST stroganoff. :)

I love going crazy with my cereal combos! Most of the meals I remember growing up our comfort food. Chicken casserole, hamburger casserole, meatloaf….it’s hard to believe I’m a vegetarian now=)
    Grace recently posted..Hi- my name is Grace…

Two meals which strongly stand out are:

1) Roast chicken stuffed with a rice mixture and roast potatoes and garlic bread on the side- always a winner

2) This african curry dish called ‘groundnut chicken curry’…its basically a curry with a peanut base served with rice and loads of toppings like onions, peanuts, shredded coconut, papaya! It was super yummy- a peanut butter lover’s dream meal!
    Khushboo recently posted..The hidden ingredient

My mother was never the best cook, so we ended up eating the same 7 or 8 meals over and over again, but my grandmother on the other hand, was the best cook EVER. My favorite meal of hers was always fresh ham baked in milk and white wine. Trust me, it was to DIE for. The milk soaks out all the salt in the ham and the wine adds a delicious flavor. Oh I’m salivating.
    Stephanie @ The Cookie Battle recently posted..The Dairy Experiment

10. Thetreadmilldiaries says

Growing up at our house, it was all about the big Sunday Italian dinners – pasta and meatballs, baked pasta dishes or lasagna. Nowadays, we have these as occasional treats.
    Thetreadmilldiaries recently posted..Color Me Nutty

Mmmmm! Love beets!

We ate a lot of chicken. I mean, A LOT. One night, my brother asked what was for dinner and my mom said, “chicken,” like usual. My brother went berserk and started yelling that he was tired of “the same old crap!” He got in big trouble for that one, but after the dust settled, we all started jokingly referring to chicken as the same old crap. It’s been that way for years! :)

i LOVE mixing cereals too. my combo generally includes special k, kashi go lean crunch, quick oats, pecans, prunes, cinnamon, nutmeg, banana slices and soy milk : ) so so so yummy!!!

that st. patty’s day dinner looks delish – i cannot wait for my mom’s meal tomorrow night.

ps i found you via women’s day. i read your contribution to the healthy living post and wanted to check out your blog – glad i did! i’ll definitely be back for more. oh, and if you don’t mind me asking, how did you get selected for the women’s day article?
    cheers!
    cailen
    cailen recently posted..gettin lucky –

• Courtney says

Hi Cailen! Thanks for coming to check out the blog!
      I was approached by the editor of the article, asking if I would like to contribute. :)

Growing up we ate a lot of Indian (Gujarati) food, which basically means spiced veggies of different kinds, lentils, rice, and naan type flatbreads. I hated eating it almost every day growing up, but I can honestly say I miss it now!

14. Shayla says

I’ll always remember my mom’s homemade meat sauce and spaghetti! Whenever we come over for dinner I love walking through the door and smelling that homemade sauce that’s been brewing all day long. It brings back childhood memories like none other….it always warms my heart :)

By the way, just wanted to let you know we received the phenomenal Blizzard Butter!! It arrived at the post office on Monday but I was finally able to pick it up today! Thanks so much again and I know my hubby and I can’t wait to indulge in it tonight! I know hands down it’ll again be amazing if not even MORE amazing the second time around 😉

This is random but I also wanted to mention that since I know you love your cereals, have you ever tried Peanut Butter Puffins? I know we’re peanut butter addicts so I was wondering if you’ve tried this amazing cereal….if you haven’t you must try it soon! I also saw that they’re coming soon with a new flavor…..peanut butter and chocolate puffins!!

• Courtney says

Oh GOOD! I’m glad you got the Blizzard Butter. YAY! :)
      I’ve actually never tried the peanut butter puffins. I “think” I tried regular puffins before but I can’t remember??? I’m thinking I may just have to get my hands on a box of those soon though. They sound delightful! :)

• Shayla says

Oooo you must try them!! They’re way better than the original Puffins….they have a differenet texture and are way yummier with an awesome amount of peanut butter flavor! :)