When There’s No Plan

by Courtney on March 22, 2011

At 5:10 this morning, my iPod alarm went off with the tunes of “Baby Got Back” blaring from its speakers.

(Not the ideal song to wake up to in the morning, but I do like kickin’ it old school when I’m running!)

This proceeded to happen approximately 5 more times, for about 5 seconds each, leading me all the way up to 6:00am. Yup, I snoozed right through my workout!

Only I wasn’t sleeping on top of a washer & dryer, and I was in my comfy PJ’s curled up in bed. I just figured that might make you laugh. Winking smile

But do you want to know why I slept right through my workout this morning??

It’s because I didn’t have a plan.

Yes, I absolutely love my morning workouts; getting that sense of accomplishment so early in the morning, and knowing that my hard work in finished for the day is the best feeling ever. It leaves me feeling like I’ve got the energy I need to tackle my day!

But because I’m not much of a morning person, I’ve got to know what my plan is ahead of time.

As I was going to bed last night, I had all of my clothes laid out and ready to go, but I still wasn’t quite sure of my workout. I fell asleep too quickly before making a decision, and hence, no workout. Sad smile

The Morning Workout Dilemma

Usually, if I’m not totally sure of what my morning workout is going to look like, I’ll still get up and just hop on the treadmill. I’ve got workout plans up to my eyeballs down there, so I’m always able to figure something out.

Unfortunately, we’ve got a problem lately…the treadmill is too noisy and has been keeping Jay awake while I’m running. Eye rolling smile Yesterday, I came upstairs to find him on the couch, with our air purifier blasting to try to drown out the sound…I felt so bad!

(this is actually a pic from when we had the stomach flu…it just seemed to fit) Winking smile

Even though the treadmill is in our basement, our floors and walls apparently are not insulated well enough and he can hear everything. He tells me I have feet of iron…I say he’s just too delicate of a sleeper. Winking smile

So now I’m left with the dilemma of what to do?!? Yes, I have other workout options I can do in the mornings, which I will, but I love my morning treadmill workouts! He’s so great, and says that I should continue my workouts as I have been, but I feel awful if I’m keeping him awake…

What should I do???

1 Sherri March 22, 2011 at 7:52 am

Have you thought about cycling instead? Our exercise bike is uber quiet and I hop on when I can’t get to the gym or when it’s too cold outside to run. I got into it when I injured my ankle running in the snow this past January.

I do intervals and I sweat more on the bike than I do on a run! It’s also improved my running because my legs are so much stronger. You can find a decently priced bike at any major department store or even on Craigslist!

Good luck :)

2 Courtney March 22, 2011 at 3:12 pm

No, I hadn’t thought about cycling, but definitely something to keep in mind. Thanks for the idea! :)

3 Tara @ The Game of Life March 22, 2011 at 8:10 am

Maybe move the treadmill in the garage? Or get a bike and ride on a trainer inside or elliptical… which would be expensive to buy obviously! Hmmm maybe he will get used to it after awhile??
Tara @ The Game of Life recently posted..Inspiration

4 Blog is the New Black March 22, 2011 at 8:30 am

I completely forgot about your nap on the dryer! OMG, that made me laugh so hard (again!). If Jay realyl doesn’t mind, keep it up… or do some yoga/DVDs in the AM and a quick run in the afternoon?! Can you move the treadmill to the garage? (That might be a good place to run in the warm weather- cooler in there!)
Blog is the New Black recently posted..Tortellini Vegetable Soup

5 Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) March 22, 2011 at 8:30 am

oh dear!! i woudl say move the treadmill? but that would be a bit of a hassle– perhaps you could switch itup sometimes and do incline walking instead of running so its less of an annoyance for him?? this is TRICKy though… maybe he could workout with you!!
Carrie (Moves ‘N Munchies) recently posted..It’s Normal…

6 Lindsey @ Cardio Pizza March 22, 2011 at 8:48 am

Have you thought about doing a treadmill workout in the evening instead?

7 Courtney March 22, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I could…but I hate showering twice in one day! haha

8 Lindsey @ Cardio Pizza March 22, 2011 at 3:21 pm

How about only showering at night? That’s what I do! Saves me time in the morning, it’s great :)

9 Courtney March 22, 2011 at 3:35 pm

This is true…..hmmmm… :)

10 Julie @SavvyEats March 22, 2011 at 9:20 am

What about getting a white noise machine for the bedroom to drown out the sounds of the treadmill? Would that work?
Julie @SavvyEats recently posted..The Little Things 32

11 Courtney March 22, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Maybe…we already sleep with a fan in the bedroom, which I thought would be enough noise. Are white noise machines much different from a fan?

12 Julie @SavvyEats March 22, 2011 at 4:31 pm

I think they’re a little louder/better at drowning at noise?
Julie @SavvyEats recently posted..The Little Things 32

13 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries March 22, 2011 at 9:27 am

Hmm – if Jay’s really okay with it, but you still feel bad, maybe just pick two weekdays mornings that you use the treadmill? Then you could either run after work or do different cardio in the AM. But I second what everyone else says – if you have a garage, moving it might not be a bad option :)
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Weekend Wrap Up

14 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine March 22, 2011 at 9:54 am

This might be out of the question, but have you thought of swapping the treadmill for an elliptical? Wayy quieter but just as effective a workout!! Or maybe you could start sleeping with a white noise machine, so that once you turn the treadmill on it’s not as noticeable?
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Zero Otto Nove

15 Courtney March 22, 2011 at 3:10 pm

We just bought the brand new treadmill a few months ago…not sure I could convince hubby to splurge on another new piece of equipment! ;)

16 Melissa @ Chocolate & Kisses March 22, 2011 at 9:58 am

I like what colleen said. So you don’t get bored and have “what to do” problems in the morning, pick a few days to possibly torment your hubby and then the rest do something else. He seems like a good sport…. but if you still feel bad (which I completely understand) maybe stick to your other workouts in the morning and do your treadmill routines at night. I’m with you on having to have a plan, if I don’t I’m all over the place and feel like I don’t get anything accomplished….
Melissa @ Chocolate & Kisses recently posted..Its SpRiNg!

17 Kelly March 22, 2011 at 10:14 am

Maybe compromise and only do it a few mornings a week. Like Tuesday and Thursday??

18 Melissa March 22, 2011 at 10:22 am

I agree, a plan is KEY to getting an early morning workout in! Could you just do a strength/toning video and then some incline walking to not disturb Jay? I also like the idea of Tuesday/Thursday early mornings, so it’s not everyday that you’re waking him.

Another idea that might work is earplugs??? Couldn’t hurt to try!

19 Parita @ myinnershakti March 22, 2011 at 11:52 am

Maybe try out workout DVDs? I know that you already workout to some of Jillian Michael’s DVDs. Have you ever tried “Blast Fat, Boost Metabolism?” It’s a great cardio + strength workout. I love it! Good luck!
Parita @ myinnershakti recently posted..Happy Holi!

20 Stefanie @TheNewHealthy March 22, 2011 at 12:05 pm

I think planning is definitely key also! Our treadmill is actually upstairs and for some reason, you can barely hear it downstairs in the bedrooms–which is great! :)

21 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 22, 2011 at 12:51 pm

My Husband would tell me the same thing even if I would feel bad too. I’m not sure what I would do!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..the crazy thing i she did

22 Khushboo March 22, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Wow that’s a conondrum! Now that spring is coming up, why not run outside and use the treadmill for incline walking on weekdays or intervals on the weekend? Good luck!
Khushboo recently posted..Lessons to learn

23 Michelle (The Runner's Plate) March 22, 2011 at 2:44 pm

When I go to bed, but my husband wants to stay up and watch TV in the living room, I’ll turn on a fan in our bedroom to drown out the noise from the TV.
Michelle (The Runner’s Plate) recently posted..Sunday’s Long Run Yoga

24 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run March 22, 2011 at 4:21 pm

My husband can hear my treadmill in the morning too! But he says that since it’s such a constant “beat” that he can go back to sleep. But we also have a noise-making fan to drown stuff out.

What about ear plugs?

25 Nienke at Revel March 22, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Haha! I love this post because I remember the morning we went running in Chicago: I was tired and trying to think of excuses not to go, but you LEAPED out of the bed and said “OK, let’s go!”.

Sometimes when I feel unmotivated to work out I now say to myself, “OK, let’s go!”, so thanks for that :)
Nienke at Revel recently posted..Green Tea Steam Facial

26 Courtney March 22, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Awwww, that’s so awesome! I was totally thinking of you when I posted this photo. I want to running with you again! :) Hope all is well!!

27 Holly March 23, 2011 at 9:02 am

Shoot- totally meant to comment on this yesterday- but I was going ot suggest Body Rock TV workouts or similar boot camp style workouts. They are AWESOME- Body Rock kicks my butt & they are fun because they are constantly changing & very challenging for your muscles :)
I LOVE bootcamp workouts too because they are full body type of workouts. I have a ton, if you need some- I can email them to you :)
Holly recently posted..Guest Post

28 Courtney March 23, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Body Rock TV workouts?? I’ve never heard of such a thing! I’m intrigued… :)

29 Holly March 24, 2011 at 9:21 am

They are AWESOME!!

Here are some of my favorites:

Let me know if you try them!! I think you will really like them & not wake Jay up ;)
Holly recently posted..Guest Post

30 Courtney March 24, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Thank you!! I’ll definitely be checking those out…they look intense just at a quick glance! :)