Nutty For Nut Butters

by Courtney on March 29, 2011

Gooooood morning! Are ya feelin’ a little “nutty” this morning? I hope so, because I’ve got a great guest post for you all, featuring none other than…nut butters, from the fabulous Alexa. You just may find yourself in the kitchen after checking these out…

ENJOY!!

***********

Hi, Sweet Tooth Sweet Life readers! I’m Alexa, and I blog over at Simple Eats. I blog about food, fitness and staying healthy, while feeding my love of baking and experimenting in the kitchen!

Like Courtney, I have a raging sweet tooth and feel the need to give in to it frequently. I also have more than a few jars of nut butters in my pantry and am always looking to incorporate them into baked goods.

006007

As much as I love peanut butter, it’s fun to venture out into the world of other nut butters. I recently found (and fell in love) with sunflower seed butter and can’t get enough of the stuff! Eating it straight out of the jar has become a daily occurrence for me-don’t judge. I love having a snack to look forward to before or after a workout, which is why I created these little protein bites. They’re packed with fruits, nuts and of course, sunflower butter. They’d be perfect for snacking throughout the day, before a workout or a hike, and maybe even crumbled on oats!

012

Sunflower Seed Protein Bites (makes 20 bites)

1 c. instant or rolled oats

½ c. dried cranberries

½ c. chopped dried apricots

½ c. chopped walnuts

3 tbsp. honey

2 tbsp. ground flax mixed with 6 tbsp. warm water

½ c. sunflower seed butter

Preheat oven to 350F. First, prepare flax & water mixture and set aside. In a medium-sized bowl, mix together oats, honey and sunflower seed butter until well combined. Fold in cranberries, apricots and walnuts. Mix in flax egg until well combined. Drop by tablespoon-full onto greased baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until slightly browned. Let cool for 10 minutes.

010

014

My next recipe is based on almond butter, which is tied for first with peanut butter on my favorites list. When I started eating almond butter, I often paired it with raspberry jelly on top of toast, which inspired these cookies. The combination of almond and raspberry is unbeatable and the flavors balance each other out. Not too sweet or on the salty side…just right!

021

Almond Butter and Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies (makes 15 cookies)

1 c. almond butter

¾ c. sugar

1 egg

~2 tbsp. seedless raspberry jelly

Preheat oven to 350F. In a medium-sized bowl, combine almond butter, egg and sugar and mix until well combined. Roll into small balls and place onto baking sheet. Press gently into the middle of each cookie with your thumb. Place a ½ teaspoon of jelly into hole of cookie. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden.

018

015020

Well, I hope you’ve enjoyed these recipes! Remember, no day is complete without a little nut butter! Smile

***********

Thanks, Alexa! I think I may need to head out to the kitchen and make a batch of each of these pretty soon. Winking smile

Question for the Day:

What your favorite way to enjoy nut butters??

1 J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) March 29, 2011 at 8:14 am

Love thumbprint cookies!

I like when nut butter is melted and gooey on bread or waffles. But straight out of the jar is good, too. :)

2 Tara @ The Game of Life March 29, 2011 at 8:17 am

Both of those look amazing! I love nut butters, but I have to say my favorite way to eat pb is on a pb banana honey and cinnamon sandwich! I have one every day, and always look forward to it! :)
Tara @ The Game of Life recently posted..Inspiration

3 Kristina March 29, 2011 at 8:38 am

At 8 in the morning this post was not good for me-haha…i’ve had to neglect from buying nut butters for 2 wks in order to stop the obsession, haha-looks so good!
Kristina recently posted..Mundane Monday

4 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 29, 2011 at 8:55 am

Oh gosh – a day without nut butter is not complete, she has got that right!!

My favorite way to enjoy it – right off the spoon, in my oatmeal, on top of toast.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..the crazy thing i she did

5 Faith @ lovelyascharged March 29, 2011 at 9:25 am

Since I was a little kid, I’ve always loved peanut butter maple syrup on top of my pancakes…ooey, gooey nutty goodness!

6 Melissa March 29, 2011 at 9:29 am

Wow, I want those protein bites, um, NOW!!! I love nut butter in a myriad of ways, but OIAJ is by far my favorite. With a banana & cinnamon? Heaven!

7 Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) March 29, 2011 at 9:33 am

LOVE THIS POST CLEARLY!! im off to eat pb on a banana- thats my FAV way!
Carrie (Moves ‘N Munchies) recently posted..Smiling is Overrated

8 Lauren March 29, 2011 at 10:37 am

I love anything Almond! Those thumbprint cookies look right up my alley!!!
Lauren recently posted..Homemade Almond Milk

9 alyssa - fashion fitness foodie March 29, 2011 at 11:15 am

Love the sunflower seed bites!! I def wanna try those :)
alyssa – fashion fitness foodie recently posted..Sunday Dinner

10 Khushboo March 29, 2011 at 11:19 am

The protein bites look amazing and so easy to
Make! Will def be trying them!
Khushboo recently posted..Antioxidants on steroids

11 Nicole @ Fresh & Fit March 29, 2011 at 11:25 am

I love those cookes! Working out will be a little easier knowing I have something like that to look foward to after!

12 Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) March 29, 2011 at 11:35 am

I LOVE this post! Those thumbprint cookies look amazing and those protein bites are mouth watering. I’ve never tried sunflower before. I definitely need to jump on that bandwagon.
Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) recently posted..Battle Of The Oats

13 Christina @ Food.Fun.Fabulous. March 29, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Nut butter is a must on my oatmeal, but lately i’ve been rocking the Elvis and having p.b. and banana sandwiches :)

14 Karen March 29, 2011 at 3:31 pm

My favorite way to enjoy nut butter is definitely right from the spoon!! Is there really any other way to eat it? Those cookies look amazing! Definitely going to give them a try!
Karen recently posted..Long Time no Blog

15 Samantha March 29, 2011 at 6:18 pm

I love nut butter with apple slices wrapped up in a low carb wheat tortilla! I recently bought chia seeds…and sprinkled on top makes it even better!

16 Chris March 29, 2011 at 6:22 pm

These cookies look great! The protein bites look great to fuel a workout!

17 Cara March 29, 2011 at 7:02 pm

I love nut butter! I really can’t go a day without it! My favorite way to enjoy it is on toast, right off the spoon, and as a dip for apples.

18 Caroline March 29, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I love nut butters! All of them! In fact I will take any nut product! My favorite way has to be peanut butter/almond butter with graham crackers and homemade jam dipped into almond milk! (Oh…Nutella is great too ;) )
Caroline recently posted..Drugs

19 Stacie March 29, 2011 at 7:32 pm

I love all kinds of nut butters! I love them on pancakes! MmmmMmmm
Stacie recently posted..My Running Story- Part II

20 Sarah March 29, 2011 at 10:31 pm

mmmm the cookies sure do look amazing!
Sarah recently posted..Swirling for a Year