Creamy Fruit and Tortellini Salad

Now that we’ve finally got some warm weather here in Upstate NY, I’m already feeling the itch to be outside. One of my favorite things about the warm weather, actually, are all of the picnics, parties, and barbecues that will inevitably wind up on my calendar.

Whenever I attend a party like that, I always like to bring something to contribute. Usually, it’s sweets, (are ya surprised?) but sometimes I like to switch it up a bit with some sort of salad.

Barilla is challenging Foodbuzz Featured Publishers to create a recipe with one of their tortellini for a chance to win a trip to Italy. It has always been a dream of mine to visit Italy, so when I saw this, I knew I had to take a shot. Besides, if nothing else, it’s still a good excuse to just eat tortellini.

So I started with a bag of Barilla Three Cheese Tortellini, and ended up with this:

Creamy Fruit & Tortellini Salad

I know…leave it to me to take a seemingly savory dish and sweeten it up a bit.

What can I say…I have a sweet tooth. And it’s ginormous.

But luckily, this is a recipe you don’t have to feel guilty about eating!

The combination of sweet and salty is one that I’ve always enjoyed, and the addition of the sweet fruits with the salty, cheesy tortellini is so incredibly unique. The yogurt dressing is subtly sweet and tangy, and pairs so nicely with all of the other flavors, making the entire salad light and refreshing.

This would make for a perfect dish to bring to your next potluck gathering.

Or, if you’d prefer, just keep it in the house to snack on for yourself. Don’t worry, I won’t tell anyone.

Question for the Afternoon:

What’s your favorite item to bring to a potluck/barbecue/picnic?

Comments

1. fsugirl! says

Mmmm!! My favorite dish to bring is: pasta salad! Tasty… luckily I’ve got leftovers from Easter. 😀

This sounds awesome. I love the idea of using tortellini for a pasta salad. It just seemse more fun that way.

My favorite thing to bring is always broccoli salad. I cant get enough of the stuff.

3. Danica says

This looks delicious-thanks for sharing! I rarely see cooled pasta salads that look good but I’m definitely going to have to try this one sometime–I like the “sweet” part of it, too!!

Where in the grocery store do you find this pasta? (this is probably the most obvious question but I just don’t know…) Is it by the rest of the pasta or is it frozen?

wow. i would never have thought to mix a fruit salad w/tortellinis! it looks good!

my favorite things to bring to bbqs/potlucks are salads…or cupcakes ;p or cocoa puffs from liliha bakery =)

That’s a great idea! I bet they are expecting a lot of hot italian type dishes, you’re throwing them for a loop with the cold fruit/veggie mix! Sounds amazing!
    My favorite thing, currently (it changes often, lol), to bring to a potluck is called Texas Caviar:

1 can pinto beans (drained)
    1 can black eyed peas (drained)
    2 cans white shoepeg corn (not yellow) (drained)
    1 cup green bell pepper (chopped)
    1 cup celery (chopped)
    1 small onion (chopped) (Vidalia is best)
    1 small jar pimentos (drained and chopped) (this is optional, but adds color)

1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
    3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
    3/4 cup white sugar

Combine oil, vinegar and sugar over medium/low heat on stove. Bring to a bubble so the sugar dissolves. Let cool and mix it in with all chopped veggie/bean mixture. Refrigerate about 45min – 1 hour.

That looks so good, I can not wait to try it!

My favorite thing to bring to a potluck is caramel brownies. I learned how to make sea-salt caramel a few years ago, and when I put it in rich brownies it is always a hit!

7. colleen says

I made this about a month ago and ‘changed up’ (according to the boyfriend messed up) the recipe as I normally do because I think I’m Rachel Ray. But then as my boyfriend spit it out I realized maybe I should have followed your recipe to a T and that I’m not Rachel Ray. So last night I made this and followed your recipe EXACTLY. Well I/he loved it!!! The only thing I changed was instead of greek yogurt I had mayo with olive oil because I don’t like greek yogurt too much. So delicious!!! I love your recipes keep them coming!!

• Courtney says

Hahaha, no worries, Colleen. We all have our “I’m Rachel Ray” moments! 😉
      Glad the recipe turned out good the second time around.
      Thanks for reading! :)