My Healthified Baked French Toast Casserole

by Courtney on May 11, 2011

Alright, I couldn’t think of any good way to start this post, so how ‘bout a favorite, classic Cody photo for your evening?

I’ll tell ya…if this guys has taught me one thing, it’d definitely have to be this:

As long as you’re in good company, who cares if you’re chillin’ spread-eagle in front of ‘em all.

What a character. Winking smile

*******

Tonight, I’m actually headed out to watch Jay’s softball game, so I’m not sure what we have in store for dinner.

Don’t worry my friends, I have something even better in store for you. Remember this past Sunday when I made this

Oh yes.

Well, many of you were very quickly intrigued on just how I “healthified” a recipe from the one and only, Paula Deen. Some of you even said you’ve tried her original Baked French Toast Casserole…I’m sure it’s flippin’ phenomenal.

However, I’ll betcha mine tastes just as good, but with a whole lot less guilt.

Keep in mind, that this is a Paula Deen recipe that I was dealing with here, folks. I think she has a two-sticks-of-butter minimum in each of her recipes, right?

So what is considered “healthified” here probably would not obtain the same honor in any regular situation. But trust me, I’m still calling it healthified.

Okay, I know. There’s still quite a bit of butter in this recipe. There was really no way of getting around it. Darn you, Paula.

But just think of it this way…that amount of butter is in the entire recipe. This recipe is meant to have 6-8 servings. So really, it’s not that badddddd……

At least, that’s what I told myself when I went back for my second serving on Sunday.

Hey, no biggie. We’re all meant to be able to indulge every now and then. So just make it, eat it, and enjoy it. It’s good. Real good.

Paula Deen ain’t got nothin’ on me!

Question for the Evening:

Are there any recipes that you know you love, but try to avoid or only make occasionally because they’re indulgent?

***Just a Reminder: Don’t forget to get your entries in for my Belgian Chocolate Giveaway! You’ve got 4 chances, and until this Saturday, to enter!

1 Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit May 11, 2011 at 6:11 pm

yumm can’t wait to try the healthified version!
Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit recently posted..in an instant

2 Katie May 11, 2011 at 6:12 pm

came across your blog from hungry runner girl and I’m so glad!! The Paula Dean recipe is a family favorite so I’m so excited to try your healthified version!! :)
Katie recently posted..HAPPY NURSES WEEK!!!

3 Jess (Sweet Potato) May 11, 2011 at 6:30 pm

I love that picture of your cat! SO cute!
Jess (Sweet Potato) recently posted..AC Baby!

4 Jess@atasteofconfidence May 11, 2011 at 6:36 pm

This looks great! I am obsessed with baked french toast, but it being healthy makes it SO much better!
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..Summer Excitement

5 cara May 11, 2011 at 6:49 pm

That looks amazing!!!! I will have to try it when I get back home!

6 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 11, 2011 at 7:19 pm

That french toast casserole looks good! I only make cinnamon rolls on Thanksgiving and Christmas. For one, they take forever – and two, I always feel a little sick afterwards! So worth it though!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..realist ravioli

7 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun May 11, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Oreo truffles. Nothing but “junk food” in those things but they are so dang good. And I cannot stop eating them. Cannot. So I have to make them VERY rarely. Oh boy do I love when I do make them though. I think they are my favorite treat of all time.
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Self-Love Reflection- Stop Fat Talk

8 Courtney May 11, 2011 at 9:49 pm

They’re a favorite of mine too, Tina! YUMM!!

9 Brittney May 11, 2011 at 8:16 pm

That looks soooooooooooooooooooooooooo good! Must make this soon!!
Brittney recently posted..Melanies Baby Shower

10 Farrah May 11, 2011 at 8:18 pm

I am impressed. Great substitutions! I will definitely give that a try. It looks a little drier than Paula’s, but that is a good thing because I thought hers was a little “eggy” and slightly on the soggier side. I don’t like mushy when there is egg involved.
Farrah recently posted..Mix It Up Pasta Salad

11 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles May 11, 2011 at 8:25 pm

I’ve been looking forward to this recipe – yum! :)

Anything that involves frosting, I try to save for special occasions. If I didn’t, I would seriously be eating frosting for every meal – I can’t control myself!
Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles recently posted..Huge Fruit

12 Sarah May 11, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Ok the french toast thing looks amazing! I have to try it ;)
Sarah recently posted..My last day and avocado frosting

13 pawsitivelife May 11, 2011 at 9:51 pm

I am so happy I stumbled upon your blog! I love french toast and always try to find new ways of making it healthier (tough job).I would never have thought of making a casserole! what a fantastic idea

14 Courtney May 11, 2011 at 10:19 pm

I’m glad you did, too! Welcome :)

15 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 11, 2011 at 10:05 pm

The base of your recipe actually sounds a lot like bread pudding! And if only it weren’t for the pranline topping, it’d be really healthy!

Butter definitely has its place, and whenever I serve food for a crowd, I always use full-fat versions.
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Comfort Food

16 Khushboo May 11, 2011 at 11:17 pm

I loved the sound of it! Feel like hosting a brunch just to serve it! I used to avoid recipes that include butter but I just go with it now- a little bit of the real thing every so often ain’t gonna kill ne (in fact it’ll just make me verrry happy :))
Khushboo recently posted..Rock-bottom motivation

17 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy Living Girl" May 12, 2011 at 12:15 am

Wooo hooo! i’ve been waiting for this recipe forever. AND you healthified it. And it might even be easy enough for me. I am mucho happy! :-)
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy Living Girl” recently posted..Word Up Wednesday- Runpowerment and Call to NYC Bloggers

18 Sarah May 12, 2011 at 7:37 am

that looks and sounds AMAZING! I would need to make it in individual servings or i would eat it for every meal all day long until it was gone!
Sarah recently posted..Pamper

19 Allison May 12, 2011 at 12:24 pm

I love all the pictures of Cody! I have a long haired orange cat and he is seriously the best! :)
And that french toast looks so tempting! :)
Allison recently posted..Flashback

20 Jen May 14, 2011 at 5:57 pm

mmmmm, that french toast looks so yummy! and your base version seems super guilt-free for a “sweet” breakfast casserole.

I absolutely adore homemade macaroni and cheese, but I avoid making it except like once a year because I will eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner if it’s around, and I only like it made the regular non-healthified way with white pasta and LOTS of cheese, OH HOLY YUM!!!