Couldn’t Ignore The Sale Price

Tonight was definitely one of those nights where a fresh dinner did not need to be prepared. Our fridge has been jam packed with an ever growing supply of leftovers as of late…

Crab Cakes with Avocado-Mango Salsa…

My batch of Quinoa…

Buffalo Chicken…

So rather than add to the leftover pile up, Jay and I decided to incorporate some of what we already had for tonight’s dinner. While hubby took care of finishing up the rest of the chicken, I went to to town on the quinoa and my veggie drawer.

I first sautéed up some broccoli, tomatoes, carrots, and scallions in a bit of EVOO, dried basil, salt & black pepper.

While the veggies were cooking up, I reheated ~1 cup of quinoa mixed with 2 tbsp goat cheese and ~1-1/2 tbsp Ken’s Northern Italian dressing in the microwave. Once that was cooked through, I tossed it all together, and topped it off with some slivered almonds.

It was full of flavor, and I loved the creamy, cheesy texture of everything too. Quick, easy, delicious = my kinda meal!

I debated on toasting up some bread on the side, but decided to save a little extra room for a delicious dessert tonight.

I knew I should have ignored the sale price, but I just couldn’t…

I picked up a carton of this Breyers Smooth & Dreamy Fat-Free Creamy Vanilla ice cream at the store this weekend and have been waiting to dig in ever since. I actually try not to buy ice cream too often for the house…especially when the weather is warmer and I constantly crave soft serve…but I caved and got it anyway. I’m a sucker for a good bargain.

I made myself a small bowl, topped with a little bit of caramel syrup (<—best ice cream topping ever) and a few Almond Oat Goji Berry Cookies.

Uhh-maz-ing.

Now let’s just hope I can keep myself from going back for a second bowl…

**Reminder! Have you entered my Goji Gourmet Giveaway yet?? Make sure to get your entries in! Now that I know how awesome they are on ice cream…well, you really don’t want to miss out!

Question for the Evening:

Do you buy ice cream to have at home? If so…what kinds? And what kinds of toppings do you like?

Comments

ryan and i have a mutual pact against having ice cream in our house. well, last weekend we bought a pint and – between the two of us – finished it w/o batting an eye on the couch… but typically if we want ice cream we go out for it otherwise a half gallon would be gone in a day or two (seriously). ice cream is my weakness… and i honestly cannot stop eating it once i start! it’s so darn delicious!
    Julie @ PBFingers recently posted..High School Shirt

2. Jessica says

Your dinner and dessert look fantastic! I like how you were able to combined your leftovers and a few extra veggies to make the quinoa mixture! I absolutely HATE throwing out leftovers. But sometimes after you have it for dinner you’re not ready to have it for lunch the next day, it gets shoved in the back of the fridge, and a week later you’re throwing out something that only sort of resembles what it was when you put it in!

• Courtney says

That’s so true! I actually just came across some white chicken chili that was stuffed into the back of my fridge for about, oh, 3 weeks now…I passed the sniff test, so I can’t throw it away yet. 😉

We keep ice cream sandwiches by Skinny Cow or Breyers most of the time instead of tub ice cream. I’m much better at controlling my portions and cravings when it’s already pre-packaged for me! :) My favorite topping would have to be PB chips. Yum!
    Krissie J recently posted..Mail Surprise!

We typically have a container of ice cream in our freezer most of the time. I usually forget that it’s in there : ) My favorite ice cream topping is definitely chocolate sprinkles!
    Karen recently posted..Mexican Getaway

I know that in some areas (dessert) my self control is just about zero. If it’s in my house I’ll devour it, so I try my best to keep desserts out of my house unless I baked them…then it’s fair game :)

That looks so good for a quickly thrown together meal!! I did that all the time when I was in school. It’s quick but still delicious and wholesome.

I don’t usually keep ice cream in the house. When I do, it’s usually some fun Ben and Jerry and then I end up eating half of it in one sitting while watching TV. So..no ice cream in this house anymore, lol.
    Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Baked Pita Chips

I’ve been trying to eat mainly organic dairy at home, including ice cream, so I go for the pint of StonyField Cookies and Cream. It’s fairly pricey which limits how much I eat of it. I don’t really care about eating calories, but if I think of it in terms of $, I will def. hold back and make the container last!
    Brenda @Year 25 recently posted..Week 18- Laughing A LOT

I hate (well love too much) when there is ice cream in the house because I go at it all hours of the day and night. When I go buy it, it feels more like a treat. But carmel sauce is definitely one of the best toppings ever.
    Julia recently posted..Lazy Day

When I was living in London, ice cream was always in my freezer. Unfortunately I am yet to find ice cream in Mumbai without some overly gross ingredient list. Till then, no ice cream in my freezer :(
    Khushboo recently posted..Blondes have more fun

It’s amazing how those little toppings can take plain ice cream from delicious to extraordinarily delicious huh? I always love your toppings choices :-)

Ice cream from the store in general is STRAIGHT EXPENSIVE. And in NYC, it’s practically grocery store robbery. Add to that the fact that it won’t last a week in my freezer, and it’s a no go. Luckily, there are 3 frozen yogurt joints within a 5 minute walk of my apt!
    Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy Living Girl” recently posted..When You Fall Off that Horse- you Gotta…Ride a Pony A Sometimes Healthy Tale

I buy the Hood Fat Free Frozen Yogurt! So many yummy flavors! And I too fell into the sale trap… the frozen yogurt was 2 for $4 at my grocery store! Couldn’t pass that up!

I love that kind of ice cream! It is just so super creamy!

I don’t typically buy ice cream because I will devour it, but when I do have it, I love caramel syrup with graham crackers, or chocolate syrup with sprinkles! Sometimes, I’ll even heat a marshmallow up in the microwave a little, then put ice cream, hot fudge, and graham crackers on top for a s’mores sundae! YUMMMMM!!!

Yum, I love quinoa! So easy to make and also very filling because of the protein.

I always buy Rice Dream ice cream, it tastes just like regular ice cream but it’s dairy and soy free. The chocolate and peanut butter flavor rocks! Sometimes I top it with cacao nibs. Mm tummy grumbling, I haven’t had breakfast yet. Perhaps this should be my breakfast? haha.
    Rachel @ The Perseverance Diaries recently posted..Chemo 5 &amp Me Taking Pictures of Myself

I am lactose intolerant, so obviously don’t have *real* ice cream in the house, but even the coconut ice cream and sorbet are too dangerous for me to have around. I am right there with you in the warm weather months, too, and that’s when it’s definitely best to go out for it as a special treat. Because, seriously, who can eat a half-cup of ice cream and be satisfied? Just last night I tried the coconut milk ice cream for the first time-so good! I topped it with fresh mango, strawberries, and toasted coconut! Tasted like the beach :) Your toppings look great, too!
    Laura@mypurposefullife recently posted..Clean Mountain Air