How Do You Take Your Salad?

by Courtney on May 24, 2011

This morning, I BodyPumped it up bright and early, just like I usually do on a Tuesday morning.

However, today, I had company!

Jen asked me yesterday if I wanted to join her and Melissa for the evening BodyPump session, but because I love my early morning session so much, I used my super-stellar convincing skills to get them to join me at the butt crack of dawn.

I hope they come back…it was nice to have someone to chat with this morning!

Once I got home, I showered up, grabbed a mug-o-joe,

and made breakfast. A toasted multi grain Thomas’ English Muffin, topped with TJ’s almond butter with flax, chia seeds, cinnamon, banana slices, and a drizzle of honey.

More banana + almond butter was also consumed and enjoyed probably a whole lot more than a normal person.

After breakfast, I had some serious baking to do. I whipped up a batch of these…

Raspberry Devil’s Food w/ Raspberry Almond Buttercream

followed by a batch of these…

Chewy Chocolate Chip Heath Bar Cookies

and last, but certainly not least, a batch of these…

Crackled Sugar Cookies

Thankfully, these are not for me, and they are not in my house. But can I tell you just how badly I wanted to grab a spoon and go to town on the cookie dough?? Winking smile

*******

After spending all morning looking at and smelling sugary sweets, I was more than ready to dig in to a real lunch.

I whipped up a quick spinach & fruit salad, complete with strawberries, diced pear, mango, scallions, goat cheese, and a little balsamic vinaigrette.

The flavors in this salad were screaming summer to me…as much as I love a veggie-filled salad beast, I’ll never turn down a fruit-filled version. They’re such a nice, refreshing change from the norm!

I also heated up a Crab Cake with Avocado-Mango Salsa leftover from last night. I’m happy to report they were just as good the second time around. Seriously loving these things!

For a little dessert, I dug into my stash of Almond Oat Goji Berry Cookies.

Speaking of which…

Have you entered my Goji Gourmet Giveaway yet?? Make sure to get your entries in! These little guys are surely something you don’t want to miss out on.

Question for the Afternoon:

Would you prefer a salad full of veggies, or a salad full of fruits (or both!)?

1 Jordan May 24, 2011 at 2:10 pm

wow I wish you were sending those baked goodies my way! :) usually I prefer my salads full of veggies…but I’m beginning to like a mix of fruits and veggies more and more. strawberries are awesome in salads!
Jordan recently posted..The Little Things

2 Liz @ Tip Top Shape May 24, 2011 at 2:28 pm

You should try that salad with poppyseed dressing. It goes so well with fruit!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Baked Pita Chips

3 Courtney May 24, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I usually do! I like to make my own, but was too lazy today :)

4 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat May 24, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Definitely fruit – I have a major sweet tooth but I try to keep it satisfied with fruit!
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..The Best Thing I Ever Ate recently

5 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl May 24, 2011 at 2:40 pm

That is a great question – one I ponder way too often. haha. I actually prefer fruits usually! There is a salad bar by me that only includes: lettuce, fattening mixed salads, fresh fruit and a couple of veggies. I ALWAYS go for the fruits because I actually don’t really enjoy salad bar pasta salads. I’d rather get my fat from burgers and fries. So since there aren’t many veggies, I pile on pineapple, strawberries, blueberries, papaya AND my random fave: grapes. Then I douse it in tangy balsamic vinegar and top with cottage cheese. Yummy!
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..A Cupcake Photo Shoot in the Empire State

6 Courtney May 24, 2011 at 3:09 pm

That sounds AMAAAAAZING!!

7 Erica May 24, 2011 at 2:48 pm

i’m not one to mix my fruits and veggies…i don’t know why, but i am in love with my aunty’s strawberry spinach salad! that may just be my gateway salad to mixing a whole bunch!!!

8 Tara May 24, 2011 at 2:48 pm

the food you make always looks so delicious!! I need to become a better cook… :)
Tara recently posted..BLUE

9 Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) May 24, 2011 at 2:55 pm

I’ve never done a body pump class before, it looks like fun :) And omg those cupcakes look amazing especially that raspberry butter-cream, how delicious! :D

10 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles May 24, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Both! I love adding a lot of fruit to my lettuce/veggie salads. It adds just a tad bit of sweetness!

11 Heather May 24, 2011 at 3:05 pm

dear Courtney. I love you. I miss you. let’s chat soon. (ps. i am hoping to be eating a cookie SOON…it’s possible, right?)
Heather recently posted..Home

12 Courtney May 24, 2011 at 3:07 pm

I miss you to pieces dear Heather…let’s chat VERY soon!
And yes, it’s definitely possible ;)

13 Jill May 24, 2011 at 3:06 pm

I love fruits on my salad. There is just something about sweet, juicy fruit mixed with spinach, and they work so well wtih balsamic vinegar. Just found your site a few days ago – really loving it!

14 Courtney May 24, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Thanks, Jill! :)

15 Stephanie Bragg May 24, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Both, duh. How can you go wrong with veggies and fruit. Filling, fruity, and healthy :)

P.S. Those desserts look so good.
Stephanie Bragg recently posted..Drinks For Dinner

16 Brittany May 24, 2011 at 3:21 pm

You make the most beautiful food I have ever seen. Next time I see you at the grocery store – I’m following you around!! :)

17 Courtney May 24, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Haha, thanks Brittany! :)

18 Katherine May 24, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Fruit all the way!!!

19 Megan (Braise The Roof) May 24, 2011 at 3:27 pm

I’m all about fruit in salads these days. Yesterday I added watermelon and grapes to my lunch salad- the watermelon totally made my day. It’s so summery!
Megan (Braise The Roof) recently posted..Take It Easy- Cheesy

20 Alexa @ Simple Eats May 24, 2011 at 3:43 pm

I definitely love fruit filled salads! Strawberries + goat cheese + balsamic is fantastic!
Alexa @ Simple Eats recently posted..Friday Favorites

21 Veronica (Run Write Repeat) May 24, 2011 at 3:48 pm

At this point, I would go for the fruit! i’ve definitely been on a fruits-in-my-salad kick, lately.
Veronica (Run Write Repeat) recently posted..Race Recap- West Covina “Heart Of The Valley” 5K – 4-23-2011

22 Steph May 24, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I’m def a fruit in my salad kinda girl. My fave combo lately is a basic green salad with stawberries, an orance, crumpled pita chips, and a few tablespoons of peach mango salsa. Amazing!

23 Lindsey May 24, 2011 at 4:25 pm

I keep seeing chia seeds on toast with nut butter and tempted to try it but haven’t yet! I love chia seeds but for some reason can’t get used to the idea of eating them like this – I put them in baking, oatmeal and smoothies usually.
I would go with a veggie salad! I like my fruit separated for some reason!

24 Steph @ StephSnacks May 24, 2011 at 5:03 pm

I agree with you about the fruit over salad, it’s just so refreshing and good! I even make this type of salad during the cold winter months.

25 Melissa May 24, 2011 at 5:08 pm

I don’t know what looks better–those sweets or the salad! I love all salads–equally. I guess the fruit vs.veggie decision just depends on what I’m in the mood for! :)
Melissa recently posted..Beginner’s Luck

26 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine May 24, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Veggies, for sure!! I like my veggies in salad form and my fruit on its own. Just how I roll :) I’m starting to miss my super early AM workouts from this past year- getting up is a pain, but once I’m done I feel so awesome!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..The Americans Are Coming!

27 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy May 24, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Salad full of fruit! I love the combination of fruit, cheese and nuts in my salads!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Constructive criticism

28 Sam May 24, 2011 at 5:52 pm

I love fruits AND vegetables in my salad. Yours looks amazing!
Sam recently posted..Monday Morning Routine

29 Kristi May 24, 2011 at 5:52 pm

I want a salad full of both… veggies and fruits! I love a ton of things in my salads.

30 Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl May 24, 2011 at 5:59 pm

I love fruit in my salads. I got a mango in my weekly produce delivery bin and had no idea what to do with it…until I saw your salad. Genius!
Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl recently posted..Move Along May

31 Liz @ IHeartVegetables May 24, 2011 at 6:26 pm

I’m jealous you had buddies in body pump!! I can’t roll myself out of bed unless I can convince someone to do it with me!

Hmm I usually love salads full of veggies!
Liz @ IHeartVegetables recently posted..Take That- Tetanus

32 Lee @ Fit Foodie Finds May 24, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Hands down a salad full of fruit! I am such a sweet toother!
Lee @ Fit Foodie Finds recently posted..Blueberry Buckwheat Bake

33 Colleen May 24, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Both! Red grapes are one of my favorite salad additions, and I have a huge bag of dried cherries that I have been adding to salads lately. Yum!
Colleen recently posted..Pickles in my Mole

34 Natalie May 24, 2011 at 7:50 pm

I love a good workout before a bit baking session!

It all looks delish… but I am lovin’ you fruity salads!
Natalie recently posted..prioritize with some muesli

35 Katy (The Singing Runner) May 24, 2011 at 9:00 pm

I love salads with a little fruit in it! It is like summer in a bowl! :)
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Q&38A- You Asked!

36 Theodora May 24, 2011 at 10:10 pm

I finally tried body pump tonight!
Theodora recently posted..The Best Compliment I Got This Weekend

37 Courtney May 24, 2011 at 10:22 pm

I saw your tweet! Did you LOVE it??? :)

38 Theodora May 24, 2011 at 10:25 pm

If by love it, you mean all of my muscles are screaming? Then, yes! But it was a ton of fun. I loved the music.

I am so tired from it I’m too tired to post about it right now :)
Theodora recently posted..The Best Compliment I Got This Weekend

39 Courtney May 24, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Ahhhh, YES YES YES! That’s the sign of a good Pump class…just wait til tomorrow…or even the next day ;)

40 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 24, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Who are you giving all these cupcakes to?!?!! I feel like you’re baking every day! haha!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..food phases

41 Courtney May 24, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Hahaha…every cupcakes always has a special home ;)

42 Khushboo May 24, 2011 at 11:33 pm

Whoever these are going to is a very lucky person indeed!

Can I choose both? I love mixing apple/strawberries/citrus fruits with veggies, adding some cheese, and then topping with EVOO/balsamic: YUMMY!
Khushboo recently posted..Blondes have more fun

43 Kristen May 25, 2011 at 12:48 pm