Sand Between The Teeth

Hey everyone! How’s your Monday going so far??

Well, needless to say, after doing so much sitting yesterday with our long car ride and all, I woke up this morning ready for some movement. We were all so pooped yesterday, that an early bedtime left me feeling awake and ready nice and early this morning.

So I strapped on my sneaks, grabbed my iPod, and out the door I went (with my awkward phone camera)!

2011-06-13_07-51-13_492

Unfortunately, my phone decided to freeze up on me about a mile into my run, so my RunKeeper app ended up closing. Rather than restarting it, I just decided to keep going and enjoy the scenery.

I figure I probably ran a little over 3 miles, which most definitely included a strategic stop along the way.

2011-06-13_08-19-25_610

Oh yes. We’re pretty close to this little coffee shop, so I dragged my sweaty self in and ordered an iced coffee with the sweaty $5.00 bill I had chillin’ in my shoe.

2011-06-13_08-25-54_811

Oh I’ll bet the cashier really appreciated that one.

With iced coffee in hand, I power walked it back to the house, which was probably about 1/2 a mile long. Once I made it back, I was more than ready to dig in to some breakfast.

In an effort to save money, we all bought a bunch of food to keep in the house for breakfast and lunch, so today’s morning was meal was another classic cereal combo.

Quaker Oatmeal Squares + Kashi Heart to Heart, banana slices, cinnamon, chia seeds, and skim milk. Oh you KNOW I packed on my chias! Winking smile

I also snacked on the rest of my banana with a big ‘ol blob of peanut butter. So so good.

And while I was enjoying my breakfast up on the balcony, I happened to look down to our pool and spot a familiar face (err, back?). It was hubby, who just got back from a run himself and was cooling off. Hiiii Hubby! Smile

********

Shortly after breakfast, we packed up and headed down to the beach.

The sun has been shining all day and it is absolutely beautiful.

Unfortunately, the ocean water is still a little chilly!

IMG_4417IMG_4418

While lounging in my chair this afternoon, I enjoyed a nice refreshing beverage,

along with a little hand-packed lunch.

Before leaving this morning, I made a peanut butter & jelly sandwich on a cinnamon raisin Thomas’ Bagel Thin, which tasted incredible.

I also snacked on some fresh veggies + hommus which, let me tell you, was pretty much like chomping on sand.

There’s nothing like the crunch of sand between your teeth when trying to eat on the beach…am I right?

After the beach, we headed back up to spend a little extra time at the pool. Now we’re about to shower up and probably head out to Timbuck II for some shopping and dinner.

We’re all really craving seafood tonight, and I definitely foresee some big ‘ol crab legs in my future!

Question for the Evening:

Do you like seafood? What’s your favorite?

Comments

I love lobster & crab. Those are my 2 favorites. Next week I will be in Islamorada Florida and I will be enjoying fresh delicious seafood. Mmm mm! Hope your having a good time!!
    Bethany recently posted..Weekend Recap!

haha I love how you incorporated a coffee stop into your run! If ours wasn’t so far away from our house I would try to plan it into my daily routines! I love seafood :) I’m always craving something different either tilapia, salmon, shrimp. mm i love it all!
    Alexis recently posted..Another Monday

It looks like you guys are down in Corolla! Thats my favorite place in the OBX. You have to go by the Lighthouse Bagels you will not regret it! Get yourself a french toast bagel its sooooo good. There is always a bit of wait but just do it, do it for me :) I miss not getting to go to the OBX this year since we moved to Montana in March, our family goes every year since it is only a few hour drive from Williamsburg!
    Chelsea recently posted..Happy Monday!

I use a different run tracking app and mine didn’t work on my run today either. I’ve become so dependent on electronics to get me through a run it’s ridiculous! There have been times I’ve not gone on a run because my ipod was dead. haha, guess I’ll use any excuse!
    Cait @ UrbanFencepost recently posted..Weekend Update

Oh, you’re vacation photos are making me jealous!

I’m not the biggest fan of seafood…I grew up in rural Nebraska, so we hardly ever had seafood – it was all red meat! Now I RARELY eat red meat (or meat for that matter). My husband adores seafood, so we’ll have fish every now and then…but I could do without it!

It’s like murphy’s law or something that whatever you rbing to the beach to eat will inevitably end up with sand in it, no matter how careful you are!

I love all seafood. When I’m at the beach I splurge for stuff I don’t usually eat like crab legs or lobster :)

Looks like you all are having a great time! Hopefully that water will warm up a bit!

My favorite seafood would be crab. Or tuna, but only tuna is sushi- does that count? Oddly enough, I’m allergic to lobster, so I make sure to stay clear!

8. Cait @ Beyond Bananas says

Ahhh LOVE the outerbanks> Everything looks so peaceful. I am loving your snacks at the beach!

My favorite seafoods are shrimp, salmon, and tilapia! :)

If you had asked me a year ago.. I would have said I hated seafood!
    Cait @ Beyond Bananas recently posted..Running to a Beat

Glad to see you’re enjoying the OBX! My favorite seafood.. hmmmm… shellfish is probably steamed clams, fish is probably salmon. Love it!

I am a huge fan of crab cakes, shrimps, scallops, and oysters.

I think I missed this but where are you guys at on the Outer Banks? My husband is from Currituck, which is on the mainland right across from Duck and Kitty Hawk so we spend a few weekends in the area every year. I love the Outer Banks!
    Kelly @foodiefresh recently posted..The best barbecue chicken pizza

I could relate to so much in this post: when I was going through my tomboy phase going up, purses were a no-no…all my money would be scrunched up in my sock (getting change in coins was nonetheless painful)! I’m going on holiday in3 weeks and have already added chias to my checklist haha!

I could live off seafood, currently i can’t get enough of calamari, lobster prawns and scallops- YUM!
    Khushboo recently posted..23 years wiser

This looks like a wonderful place to holiday! So jealous as it is winter in Australia right now. I hope you are having a great time soaking up the sun :)
    I can’t wait to be on the beach in Cali later this year – bring on the sand between the teeth!
    Amy recently posted..Once a Citizen- Now a Stranger

Those beach pictures look just lovely! I was just in NC a few weeks ago and I miss it! Morning runs are the best by the water! :) Have fun!!

My favorite seafood are crab cakes and any type of seafood bisque!

14. Sherri says

One of my favourite meals to make for my boys is chicken quesadillas but we ran out of chicken the other day so I subbed in some shrimp which I sauteed in a tiny bit of garlic butter and stuffed into whole grain torts with some chopped tomatoes, baby spinach, sauteed peppers, hot salsa, and of course CHEESE. Needless to say I will DEFINITELY be making these again!

Question for you – I have stopped buying Quaker Oatmeal Squares because I simply CANNOT have just one bowl. Do you feel that way about cereal? Does mixing up cereals really help you control the ‘bowl after bowl’ syndrome I seem to have? Or maybe I should add some CHIA!

Looks like heaven!

I’m a shrimp, fish, and scallops kinda girl. I’d go for crab legs if they were cheaper and if they came already peeled :)
    emily recently posted..Well crap

16. Amy says

Oh my gosh I love seafood. my fav is salmon and scallops if I had to pick but I love it all. Love raw tuna too.

Trackbacks