Sand Between The Teeth

by Courtney on June 13, 2011

Hey everyone! How’s your Monday going so far??

Well, needless to say, after doing so much sitting yesterday with our long car ride and all, I woke up this morning ready for some movement. We were all so pooped yesterday, that an early bedtime left me feeling awake and ready nice and early this morning.

So I strapped on my sneaks, grabbed my iPod, and out the door I went (with my awkward phone camera)!

2011-06-13_07-51-13_492

Unfortunately, my phone decided to freeze up on me about a mile into my run, so my RunKeeper app ended up closing. Rather than restarting it, I just decided to keep going and enjoy the scenery.

I figure I probably ran a little over 3 miles, which most definitely included a strategic stop along the way.

2011-06-13_08-19-25_610

Oh yes. We’re pretty close to this little coffee shop, so I dragged my sweaty self in and ordered an iced coffee with the sweaty $5.00 bill I had chillin’ in my shoe.

2011-06-13_08-25-54_811

Oh I’ll bet the cashier really appreciated that one.

With iced coffee in hand, I power walked it back to the house, which was probably about 1/2 a mile long. Once I made it back, I was more than ready to dig in to some breakfast.

In an effort to save money, we all bought a bunch of food to keep in the house for breakfast and lunch, so today’s morning was meal was another classic cereal combo.

Quaker Oatmeal Squares + Kashi Heart to Heart, banana slices, cinnamon, chia seeds, and skim milk. Oh you KNOW I packed on my chias! Winking smile

I also snacked on the rest of my banana with a big ‘ol blob of peanut butter. So so good.

And while I was enjoying my breakfast up on the balcony, I happened to look down to our pool and spot a familiar face (err, back?). It was hubby, who just got back from a run himself and was cooling off. Hiiii Hubby! Smile

********

Shortly after breakfast, we packed up and headed down to the beach.

The sun has been shining all day and it is absolutely beautiful.

Unfortunately, the ocean water is still a little chilly!

IMG_4417IMG_4418

While lounging in my chair this afternoon, I enjoyed a nice refreshing beverage,

along with a little hand-packed lunch.

Before leaving this morning, I made a peanut butter & jelly sandwich on a cinnamon raisin Thomas’ Bagel Thin, which tasted incredible.

I also snacked on some fresh veggies + hommus which, let me tell you, was pretty much like chomping on sand.

There’s nothing like the crunch of sand between your teeth when trying to eat on the beach…am I right?

After the beach, we headed back up to spend a little extra time at the pool. Now we’re about to shower up and probably head out to Timbuck II for some shopping and dinner.

We’re all really craving seafood tonight, and I definitely foresee some big ‘ol crab legs in my future!

Question for the Evening:

Do you like seafood? What’s your favorite?

1 Lindsey June 13, 2011 at 5:10 pm

That looks beautiful, the sky is so blue!

I loce seafood, and my favorite right now it Tilapia.

2 Bethany June 13, 2011 at 5:11 pm

I love lobster & crab. Those are my 2 favorites. Next week I will be in Islamorada Florida and I will be enjoying fresh delicious seafood. Mmm mm! Hope your having a good time!!
Bethany recently posted..Weekend Recap!

3 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl June 13, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Aww what a cute pic of you and the man :-). I like how you fit the coffee into the run. That’s how I map out all of my runs here in NY. Gives me somethin’ to run for! The beach looks beautiful even though it’s cold.
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..NYRR Mini 10K-Sometimes Healthy Fun Run Race Recap

4 Erica June 13, 2011 at 5:26 pm

i’m craving a beach vacay. i’m jealous!

ah, you had the ultimate SANDwich.
ok, that was lame.

5 Leanne (Bride to Mrs.) June 13, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Where are you guys? I mustve missed that post :p

Very cute though… in 7 weeks I have 2 weeks off (to get married!) and can’t wait to just spend quality time with my (future) hubby.

6 Val @ Balancing Val June 13, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Soggy money is still money! :)

Though Im always grossed out taking wet money too, haha!

7 Alexis June 13, 2011 at 5:47 pm

haha I love how you incorporated a coffee stop into your run! If ours wasn’t so far away from our house I would try to plan it into my daily routines! I love seafood :) I’m always craving something different either tilapia, salmon, shrimp. mm i love it all!
Alexis recently posted..Another Monday

8 Chelsea June 13, 2011 at 5:56 pm

It looks like you guys are down in Corolla! Thats my favorite place in the OBX. You have to go by the Lighthouse Bagels you will not regret it! Get yourself a french toast bagel its sooooo good. There is always a bit of wait but just do it, do it for me :) I miss not getting to go to the OBX this year since we moved to Montana in March, our family goes every year since it is only a few hour drive from Williamsburg!
Chelsea recently posted..Happy Monday!

9 Cait @ UrbanFencepost June 13, 2011 at 5:56 pm

I use a different run tracking app and mine didn’t work on my run today either. I’ve become so dependent on electronics to get me through a run it’s ridiculous! There have been times I’ve not gone on a run because my ipod was dead. haha, guess I’ll use any excuse!
Cait @ UrbanFencepost recently posted..Weekend Update

10 Blog is the New Black June 13, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Jelly of your beach vaca! Yay for you!
Blog is the New Black recently posted..Chicken Adobo

11 Amber @ Stop and Smell the Wildflowers June 13, 2011 at 6:13 pm

It looks like you are having a wonderful time! I’m not really a fan of seafood, or any fish (I wished I liked it for the health benefits). I do like fried clams, though, but I don’t think that really counts. :)
Amber @ Stop and Smell the Wildflowers recently posted..Gettin’ Muddy

12 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles June 13, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Oh, you’re vacation photos are making me jealous!

I’m not the biggest fan of seafood…I grew up in rural Nebraska, so we hardly ever had seafood – it was all red meat! Now I RARELY eat red meat (or meat for that matter). My husband adores seafood, so we’ll have fish every now and then…but I could do without it!

13 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 13, 2011 at 6:37 pm

I think I could eat salmon every night if I could!

I’d love to be able to run along the beach :) And I LOVE Corona and Jay’s skill at taking self-pictures ;)
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Munchies

14 Courtney June 13, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Hahaha, I always tell him he’s a pro at that! :)

15 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 13, 2011 at 6:53 pm

It’s like murphy’s law or something that whatever you rbing to the beach to eat will inevitably end up with sand in it, no matter how careful you are!

I love all seafood. When I’m at the beach I splurge for stuff I don’t usually eat like crab legs or lobster :)

16 Carey @ Positively Blonde June 13, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Looks like you all are having a great time! Hopefully that water will warm up a bit!

My favorite seafood would be crab. Or tuna, but only tuna is sushi- does that count? Oddly enough, I’m allergic to lobster, so I make sure to stay clear!

17 Melissa June 13, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Holy yum! I love seafood! Crab legs are by far my favorite, but scallops are a very close second. Hope you have a great dinner!
Melissa recently posted..Happy Hope Cookies

18 Cynthia (It All Changes) June 13, 2011 at 7:30 pm

I love you keeping the $5 in your shoe for iced coffee. I keep mine in the shoulder strap of my sports bra. It’s easy and a great way to refuel.

19 Brittany June 13, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Have fun at the beach :) I’m jealous!
Brittany recently posted..frustrations

20 Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) June 13, 2011 at 7:57 pm

I love all the beach pictures, everything looks amazing and yummy Kashi breakfast ;)

21 Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers June 13, 2011 at 8:02 pm

I am a new lover of seafood!! My favorite would have to be blackened mahi mahi, heavenly, spicy, and great.

It’s always a great idea to pack lunches for the beach, breakfasts too! Muchhhh rather blow my money on a fancy dinner than waste it on some average sammy I could make at home and enjoy so much more!!
Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Eating Good in the Neighborhood pool

22 Cait @ Beyond Bananas June 13, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Ahhh LOVE the outerbanks> Everything looks so peaceful. I am loving your snacks at the beach!

My favorite seafoods are shrimp, salmon, and tilapia! :)

If you had asked me a year ago.. I would have said I hated seafood!
Cait @ Beyond Bananas recently posted..Running to a Beat

23 Lindsay June 13, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Oh I want to be on vacay! It sounds like so much fun :) I think that salmon and scallops are my favorite seafood

24 Sarah June 13, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Glad to see you’re enjoying the OBX! My favorite seafood.. hmmmm… shellfish is probably steamed clams, fish is probably salmon. Love it!

25 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 13, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Oh I love a day at the beach so so much! You’re a lucky girl!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..7 things about this weekend

26 liz @ iheartvegetables June 13, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Yay for the beach!! I love how you packed hummus! I did too and my friends made fun of me! I have to have my veggies & hummus :)

27 Kelly @foodiefresh June 13, 2011 at 9:01 pm

I am a huge fan of crab cakes, shrimps, scallops, and oysters.

I think I missed this but where are you guys at on the Outer Banks? My husband is from Currituck, which is on the mainland right across from Duck and Kitty Hawk so we spend a few weekends in the area every year. I love the Outer Banks!
Kelly @foodiefresh recently posted..The best barbecue chicken pizza

28 Courtney June 13, 2011 at 9:45 pm

We’re in Corolla!

29 Kelly @foodiefresh June 13, 2011 at 9:51 pm

I can see Corolla light house from my in-laws back yard, which is on the inlet. You should check out Kelly’s for good seafood. It’s my favorite restaurant there and not just because of the name. :)
Kelly @foodiefresh recently posted..The best barbecue chicken pizza

30 Jessica @ Dishin' About Nutrition June 13, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Now that is my idea of the perfect day! Pool AND beach?! Sweet life indeed!
Jessica @ Dishin’ About Nutrition recently posted..Veggie-stuffed Tomatoes

31 Tori (Fresh Fruition) June 13, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Can’t go wrong with peanut butter & ‘nanner!

I can’t wait to be at the beach this summer. Your post is making me crave sun and sand!
Tori (Fresh Fruition) recently posted..Veggie-rama and Balloon Hats

32 Khushboo June 13, 2011 at 11:22 pm

I could relate to so much in this post: when I was going through my tomboy phase going up, purses were a no-no…all my money would be scrunched up in my sock (getting change in coins was nonetheless painful)! I’m going on holiday in3 weeks and have already added chias to my checklist haha!

I could live off seafood, currently i can’t get enough of calamari, lobster prawns and scallops- YUM!
Khushboo recently posted..23 years wiser

33 Jessica @ The Process of Healing June 13, 2011 at 11:23 pm

Sounds like you’re having a blast! And there’s nothing better than a beach run..I’m already counting down until my beach trip!
I LOOOOOVE seafood!! Another thing I can’t wait until the beach for..
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Readers Request- The Story- Part 1

34 Caroline June 13, 2011 at 11:24 pm

Looks like its a great vacay so far! enjoy yourself!

35 Caroline June 13, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Oh and also I totally hate when sad is between the teeth! It happened to me last week. I semi-kind of like it hehe.
Caroline recently posted..Late Night Workouts

36 Amy June 14, 2011 at 1:25 am

This looks like a wonderful place to holiday! So jealous as it is winter in Australia right now. I hope you are having a great time soaking up the sun :)
I can’t wait to be on the beach in Cali later this year – bring on the sand between the teeth!
Amy recently posted..Once a Citizen- Now a Stranger

37 Lindsey @ Cardio Pizza June 14, 2011 at 7:21 am

Those beach pictures look just lovely! I was just in NC a few weeks ago and I miss it! Morning runs are the best by the water! :) Have fun!!

My favorite seafood are crab cakes and any type of seafood bisque!

38 Molly Carter June 14, 2011 at 8:24 am

I hope y’all have fun at the beach this week! I live at the beach and never, ever, ever get tired of it! We even go on vacation to other beaches around the country/world. Nothing beats soaking up the sun with friends.
Molly Carter recently posted..Exercise During Pregnancy

39 Sherri June 14, 2011 at 8:36 am

One of my favourite meals to make for my boys is chicken quesadillas but we ran out of chicken the other day so I subbed in some shrimp which I sauteed in a tiny bit of garlic butter and stuffed into whole grain torts with some chopped tomatoes, baby spinach, sauteed peppers, hot salsa, and of course CHEESE. Needless to say I will DEFINITELY be making these again!

Question for you – I have stopped buying Quaker Oatmeal Squares because I simply CANNOT have just one bowl. Do you feel that way about cereal? Does mixing up cereals really help you control the ‘bowl after bowl’ syndrome I seem to have? Or maybe I should add some CHIA!

40 emily June 14, 2011 at 8:41 am

Looks like heaven!

I’m a shrimp, fish, and scallops kinda girl. I’d go for crab legs if they were cheaper and if they came already peeled :)
emily recently posted..Well crap

41 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine June 14, 2011 at 8:53 am

The sky looks so blue there…you definitely lucked out!! As for seafood, I love any and all shellfish. Shrimp, crab, lobster, scallops…all delicious in my book!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..The Yearbook Stash

42 Amy June 14, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Oh my gosh I love seafood. my fav is salmon and scallops if I had to pick but I love it all. Love raw tuna too.