Wine Tasting, Crab Legs, Ice Cream, and Tricep Dips

by Courtney on June 14, 2011

Ohhhh yes, you read that right!

Last night, our crew headed out to Timbuck II for the evening for some dinner and perusing through the shops. Our first stop of the evening brought us to a wine shop (which we’ve stopped in every year that we’ve been now) for some free wine tasting.

I’ll never turn down free wine tasting. Winking smile

None of the wines totally “wowed” me, but there was a couple that were pretty decent, including a peach table wine.

The store owner was good for a few laughs, too, which you can probably tell from this picture. Smile

The store also sells single beers, and since there are no open container laws down here, most of us picked out something to sip on while walking around. I chose this Carolina Strawberry beer which was pretty tasty.

Another must-stop shop for us was Try My Nuts (<—possibly one of the best names ever?).

The last time we were here, Josh and a couple of our other friends actually tried their “World’s Hottest Peanuts” and I thought they were going to die. Apparently they’re no joke!

While I’m definitely no fan of spicy nuts (<—yup, I just giggled), I AM a fan of sweet, buttery, and chocolaty ones, so I made sure to sample a few goodies…

Including these chocolate-covered peanuts and butter toffee pecans (among a few others).

IMG_4444IMG_4446

The pecans were good enough to convince me to purchase a bag of mixed butter nuts, which includes cashews, pecans, and almonds. Perfect beach snack, right? Smile

Our next stop of the night was dinner, so we traveled on over to Steamers ShellfishTo Go to get our seafood fix.

Jay and I ordered a few things to share between the two of us, including snow crab legs, grilled vegetables, french fries, and hush puppies.

The veggies were pretty good, but not as fresh as I would have hoped.

The crab legs were delicious; slightly over-cooked, but this was easily overlooked.

The french fries and the hush puppies, however, were outstanding.

Of course I would enjoy the fried food best. Winking smile

The two of us had no problem dominating our order.

After dinner, we checked out this humongous chair (random, right?),

and then followed up dinner the best way we know how…

Ice creeeeeeam.

Last night’s ice cream came from Big Buck’s, which is a local homemade ice cream shop right in Timbuck II. After a couple samples, I finally decided on the Cookies & Peanut Butter, which was basically an Oreo based ice cream swirled with massive chunks of peanut butter.

Oh.my.god…

I can guarantee you, I will be going back here before the week is over. There were too many delicious sounding flavors that still need to be tried. I’m an equal opportunity consumer. Winking smile

********

This morning, none of us have been in too much of a hurry to get up and moving.

But hey, we’re on vacation, so who cares? Winking smile

As you’ve probably already noticed, our friends Josh & Erika brought their two boxers down with them this week.

This is Bronx (who you can actually see as a little puppy here) – she is a total sweetie.

And this is Joba, lounging around with his dad. (Can you tell their Yankees fans?)

IMG_4478IMG_4479

I started to get a little antsy, so I ended up squeezing in a few strength exercises, including some chair tricep dips.

Who says you can squeeze in a mini workout here and there, right? Three sets of 13 and I was good to go. Smile

(And since I know I’ll be asked…NO, the cigarettes on the table are definitely, certainly absolutely, 100% NOT mine. Nooooo thank you!)

But the half-filled glass of iced coffee sure is!

This morning I brewed up some of my own (using my iced coffee method) and enjoyed a glass along with another repeat breakfast from yesterday.

Banana + PB

Cereal combo #2 for the week.

Eaten out on the patio in the warm sunshine. Sun

I’m thinking we’ll probably be heading out the beach again shortly…time to suit up! And I’m feeling a nice loooooong walk along the beach today is absolutely necessary.

Question for the Afternoon:

When you’re on vacation, do you find it easier to be lazy, or do you feel like you have to keep moving?

1 Jaclyn June 14, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Glad you’re having fun!
Nothing like wine tasting and hush puppies!!
Jaclyn recently posted..Just a Few Hours

2 Michelle (The Runner's Plate) June 14, 2011 at 1:26 pm

I have a hard time being lazy–I am definitely a busy-body!

Oreos and peanut butter together in ice cream!?!? What an awesome combination!!
Michelle (The Runner’s Plate) recently posted..Goals for Mayor’s Marathon

3 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl June 14, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Thanks for the guest post from Hungry Runner Girl. You two literally brighten my day every day so I love seeing her on your site!

I try to be lazy on vacation but usually like you, I have to squeeze in a little exercise. I’m all about doing tricep dips in weird places. We do them in the office all the time

That ice cream sounds like a dream!!
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Barbeque Sauce Makes Everything Better

4 Miranda June 14, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Looks like fun! I try to stay active on vacations. But I find I walk more and, of course, swim, so it usually works out.

5 Jessica @ Bright-Eyes & Bushy-Tales June 14, 2011 at 1:33 pm

If I can fit in something active and fun, I do it, but no pressure — I’m on vacation to relax and refeul for my activities back home! :) looks soooo fun there!! Might have to plan a trip sometime! :)
Jessica @ Bright-Eyes & Bushy-Tales recently posted..Serious Business

6 Lindsay June 14, 2011 at 1:36 pm

I find it incredibly easy to be lazy, but I also enjoy more simple forms of activity like walking on the beach or playing in the water! I just made the easiest and really yummy crab cakes! You should try them:

7 Krissie J June 14, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Mmmmm crab legs! I am able to be pretty lazy on vacation for the most part, but we normally have long walking excursions or do a lot of dancing when out, so that counts for my cardio, right? ;)
Krissie J recently posted..I &lt3 NY

8 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 14, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Oh it is sooo easy to get lazy on vacation! You’re doing a great job staying active! :) I’m with you on the cigarettes – um yuck!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..7 things about this weekend

9 Melissa June 14, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Officially jealous! Those nuts, the crab legs, the ice cream . . . looks like an amazing time so far!

I can definitely “power down” when I’m on vacation, but I don’t want to just sit in a room somewhere. I’ve got to be at the pool or the beach, but as long as I’m there, I can lay around for a good, long time. ;)

10 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 14, 2011 at 1:47 pm

That ice cream looks AWESOME! omg cookies and cream is my favorite ice cream, and pb is just my favorite thing in the world…

If I’m vacationing in a city, I feel like I have to see everything and do everything. But if it’s a beach vacation, then I’m more than fine with relaxing!
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Cold Weather Treat

11 Blog is the New Black June 14, 2011 at 1:47 pm

That food looks spectacular… but the ice cream looks better!
Blog is the New Black recently posted..Easy Stuffed Artichokes

12 Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers June 14, 2011 at 1:47 pm

If I’m only on vaca for a little bit, I tend to jam everything I possibly can in and never rest for one single second! (I know, I’m the crazy person that probably no one wants to travel with…)

On those rare occasions, though, where I have more than a few days/a weekend off, I relax, lounge, do a lotta nothing, and even manage to squeeze workouts in from time to time.
Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Eating Good in the Neighborhood pool

13 Keely (Sky Blue) June 14, 2011 at 1:48 pm

What an awesome vacation!! Keep havin’ fun:)

P.S. I’ve never seen that iced coffee method before–may turn out to be a lifesaver. THANKS!!
Keely (Sky Blue) recently posted..june 12 for the grads

14 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 14, 2011 at 1:49 pm

That looks like the perfect beach vacation night! I crave crab legs at the beach. Sooo good :)

15 Katherine June 14, 2011 at 1:58 pm

That cereal combo looks delicious!
Katherine recently posted..Guatures -

16 Megan (Braise The Roof) June 14, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Now you have me craving crabs and hush puppies! Yumm…I’m so jealous, it looks like you’re having a great time! :)
Megan (Braise The Roof) recently posted..Oh- Sweet Weekend

17 Jillian June 14, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Okay first things first, oreo and pb ice cream???? Seriously, the inventor has my heart.

On vacation I just want to relax since I am always on the go with my job, but my boyfriend and I always make it a point to fit in some exercise…we get antsy!

Looks like so much fun! I haven’t been to OBX but thinking I might need to!
Jillian recently posted..Beating Boredom

18 Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews June 14, 2011 at 2:23 pm

That wine tasting looks super fun!! Lots of good choices in there.

19 Sarah June 14, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I had that same question last week when my boyfriend was visiting me on vacation!! He kept wanting to do nothing.. and I kept wanting to get up and moving. Drove me nuts.

20 Cute~Ella June 14, 2011 at 2:30 pm

We try to do both because I don’t sit still very well. We’ll do a day of doing “stuff” and a day or afternoon off or know that we have plans that night, so we spend the day reading by the pool. Stuff like that.
Cute~Ella recently posted..Yummy &amp Quick! Broccoli with Cheese

21 Erin @ Naturally Addicted June 14, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Glad you’re having a great vaca! Those crab legs look delicious… I wish I was at the beach right now! Love the way how you squeeze in a mini workout. I always try to do this on vacation just to stay active!
Erin @ Naturally Addicted recently posted..Just Roll with It

22 Lindsey June 14, 2011 at 2:37 pm

I like to keep moving for sure! I always get antsy :)

That ice cream looks amazing, I love everything with peanut butter!
Lindsey recently posted..Disappearing Act

23 Erica June 14, 2011 at 3:06 pm

when i’m on vacation, i want to do as much as possible! make the most of it. the bf on the other hand views vacation as “excessive amount of nap-time”….i feel like it’s a waste of my trip to take naps in the hotel room. take a nap at the pool at least! LOL.

your vacation looks great :) great amount of doing and relaxing :)

24 Shayla June 14, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Looks like you’re having sooo much fun!! I like to have a mix of relaxing and keeping busy at the same time…..I love to get in a bit of exercise in the morning to ward off my antsy pants, and then lounge and be lazy for the rest of the day :)

25 Ericka Andersen June 14, 2011 at 3:28 pm

I’m living vicariously through you this week, Courtney! I so wish I was on vacay too but looks like a great time! I saw that chocolate wine you have pictured at the store the other day and was thinking it would be disgusting but…maybe not! Anyway, I continue to enjoy your blog :)
Ericka Andersen recently posted..An 8-Mile Morning

26 Courtney June 14, 2011 at 3:37 pm

I actually didn’t like that one! It tasted like drinking Kahlua on the rocks, which I am not a fan of!

27 fsugirl! June 14, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Your hair is gorgeous! Looks like you’re having so much fun :D BTW: do you wear contacts?

28 Courtney June 14, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Thank you!
And yes, I sure do wear contacts :)

29 Alexa @ Simple Eats June 14, 2011 at 3:40 pm

That ice cream sounds heavenly. Courtney, your hair looks SO pretty like that…kind of wavy. It’s gorgeous!
Alexa @ Simple Eats recently posted..First 5K

30 Amy June 14, 2011 at 3:41 pm

I love a mixture of both being lazy and on the go on vacation! Sometimes I just want to relax and take it easy by the pool and other times I love just going out and exploring all the touristy things!
Amy recently posted..Lazy Girl Guide to Cupcakes in Las Vegas

31 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries June 14, 2011 at 4:04 pm

First of all, I love that you pointed out that those cigarettes aren’t yours! I saw them and was like “Woah, I didn’t know she smoked!” Not that it would have mattered, but I laughed at the fact that you made SURE that we knew they didn’t belong to you! :) And when I’m on vacation, I like to relax and sprinkle in workouts only when they 100% fit in to my schedule. Meaning, I don’t plan for exercise when I’m away :)
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..It Happened

32 Kelly @foodiefresh June 14, 2011 at 4:43 pm

I think it depends on where I am. If I’m in a bustling city, it’s easy to be busy because I want to see everything there is to see. But if I’m at the beach, I turn into a complete beach bum.
Kelly @foodiefresh recently posted..The best barbecue chicken pizza

33 Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers June 14, 2011 at 4:52 pm

I love the title of your post. Those are all verrrry good things!

My vacation activity level depends on the destination. I stay very active on exploring vacations (like to Europe) but am pretty darn lazy at the beach.

34 Courtney June 14, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Haha….yeah, I couldn’t decide ;)

35 Andrea June 14, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Is that chocolate wine? Tell us more!
Andrea recently posted..Meatless Monday- Red Pizza

36 Courtney June 14, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Not that great…but that’s just my opinion! :)

37 Stephanie @cookinfanatic June 14, 2011 at 5:03 pm

oh my gahhh love that ice cream shop!! you have to try their coconut ice cream, it is too dieeee forrrr (if you like coconut of course!) looks like you are having an awesome week, love it :)
Stephanie @cookinfanatic recently posted..Quinoa with Corn- Scallions &amp Mint

38 Claire June 14, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Looks like a lovely vacation! I would RATHER be lazy, but am a busy body at heart, so you and I would be doing tricep dips next to one another :-) I am trying to “go with the flow” because you really need to make the most of vacations while you are on them!!
Claire recently posted..Back on track!

39 Leanne (Bride to Mrs.) June 14, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Courtney your hair looks so adorable all curled <3

Where are you guys vacationing? It looks so beautiful.
Leanne (Bride to Mrs.) recently posted..Weekend Recap

40 Courtney June 14, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Thanks! We’re in the Outer Banks…I posted about it on Sunday. ;)

41 Hannah June 14, 2011 at 7:16 pm

I think it depends on the group I am with and where… I would love to get some running/exercise in but sometimes you just have to relax, chill, enjoy the fun, people and the beach!! or where ever you are… You are on vacation of course!!

42 Courtney June 14, 2011 at 9:04 pm

I totally agree with you Hannah!!

43 Danica June 14, 2011 at 7:18 pm

For whatever reason I find it a lot easier to workout on vacation, and by “easier” I mean I’m more motivated to. I think it’s mostly because vacation, to me at least, is all about taking care of yourself–resting, truly relaxing, and really just enjoying yourself and all the amazing things you get to do. Exercising makes me feel so good that it’s an easy time to do it, plus there’s typically no schedule to work around to fit in a workout time!

44 Caitlin @ Southern Curls & Pearls June 14, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Your hair looks so, so pretty in these pictures! It’s wavier than normal, and it looks beautiful!

And that ice cream looks like the bomb dot com. Cookies? Peanut butter? I’m dying for some right now.
Caitlin @ Southern Curls & Pearls recently posted..A Tuesday Throwback

45 Kim June 14, 2011 at 8:45 pm

oh man, I spy choco-wine in your pic! I’m interested if you liked that?
We had that awhile back at a wine tasting and everyone was freaking out about it – me, however, I prefer my wine and my chocolate to be separate..I thought it kind of ruined both things..
Kim recently posted..Captain Mack

46 Courtney June 14, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Yup, I’m with you Kim. I didn’t care for it. :(

47 tina @ vanillandspice June 14, 2011 at 9:01 pm

I definitely get lazy on vacation. I get out and do stuff, but I don’t workout. Good for you!
Those hush puppies would be my favorite of the meal too… they’re fried.
tina @ vanillandspice recently posted..Guess What I Got!

48 Carey @ Positively Blonde June 14, 2011 at 9:05 pm

I think it depends. If I go on a short weekend trip, then it’s go, go ,go! But if I have more time, I think i take advantage of that and lounge a bit more.
Carey @ Positively Blonde recently posted..Happy Girl

49 Khushboo June 14, 2011 at 11:13 pm

Oh my daze, that ice cream flavor sounds perfect in every way! If I’m away for more than a couple of days, I love being able to just chill! Otherwise I feel like i need to make ‘every second count’! Good call on the tricep dips- stronger arms only means one thing: the ability to lift heavier ice cream :)
Khushboo recently posted..23 years wiser

50 Courtney June 15, 2011 at 12:40 am

yes! i love it!

51 Amy June 15, 2011 at 4:28 pm

We just got back from Miami on Monday and I took advantage of lots of walking on South Beach and even got in my usual leg day at a local gym. I like working out in different locals. Changes it up a bit

52 Tanya Rodriguez December 8, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Not that great…but that’s just my opinion! If I can fit in something active and fun, I do it, but no pressure — I’m on vacation to relax and refeul for my activities back home!
Tanya Rodriguez recently posted..Cancer Tattoos Tumblr