I Have A Problem

by Courtney on July 20, 2011

I have a problem.

Over the past few days, my kitchen house has been invaded

imagesource

By fruit flies.

And not just a couple here and there…a LOT of freakin’ fruit flies.

I’ve resorted to putting all of my fresh fruit in the fridge, with the exception of my bananas; they’re keeping their counter status with the help of some Clearly Fresh Bags that I was sent a while back. So far, the bags are working very well.

The swarms of fruit flies, however, are going nowhere. Except, of course, in my face.

Normally, my apple cider vinegar trap does the trick. I just place the vinegar in a small cup, cover it with plastic wrap, and poke some holes in the top with a toothpick.

IMG_6000IMG_6001

But over the course of three days, I’ve trapped three fruit flies.

THREE.

Thanks to a tip from my dear friend Heather, I also tried doing the same sort of trap, but with a banana slice inside.

So far, nada.

The only other trap I could come up with is the sticky fly trap that I can remember my dad hanging in our garage all while I was growing up.

source

Call me crazy, but I’m not quite sure that I want these beauties hanging from my kitchen ceiling…

So I’m begging. If you have ANY tips for how to get rid of these darn little things, please send ‘em my way. I’m going nuts! Disappointed smile

*****

Dinner

Have I ever mentioned how much I love leftovers? Especially when it’s too hot to turn an oven on.

Tonight, Jay enjoyed some of last night’s leftover steak while I finished off the rest of Monday’s Chicken Taco innards. I also added a dollop of plain Chobani + salsa to tonight’s leftovers which made it even more delicious.

IMG_6030IMG_6029

On the side, I also had a piece of toast with a little light butter.

I’m hoping tonight’s meal will do a good job of keeping me fueled without feeling too full for my softball game.

Yes, lucky me has a softball game tonight in this sweltering heat. I’m trying not to complain though, especially since Jay is playing two games tonight. It could always be worse, right? Winking smile

*Just a Reminder: There’s only 1 more day left to enter my SOYJOY Daycation Giveaway…and now there’s TWO kits to be given away!

Question for the Evening:

How do I get rid of these darn fruit flies??? Please tell me I’m not the only one dealing with the invasion!

1 Karen July 20, 2011 at 6:51 pm

We have then too!! So annoying….

2 Kathryn July 20, 2011 at 6:55 pm

I used to leave a glass of beer or wine on the counter for a few days. Usually helps for me. Otherwise get rid of whatever was causing them and just wait.

3 Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories July 20, 2011 at 6:55 pm

You should buy this buy spray at Target, the name of which I can’t recall right now. Basically, you set it down in the middle of the room you need to debug, press a button, and it shoots bug spray throughout the room. (Also, you need to leave the house for a few hours.) It worked really well in my kitchen last year. Sorry I can’t think of the name.

4 Jen M. July 20, 2011 at 8:50 pm

those are bug bombs! they work best if you do your entire house (like one bottle for every couple of rooms, spread out, put away all food/etc.) because otherwise it tends to just chase the bugs to another corner of your home…

5 Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories July 21, 2011 at 6:54 am

Yes, bug bombs! For me, the bugs were concentrated in my kitchen and a bathroom, and doing those rooms did just fine, but I was in an apartment, not house, so you might want to take Jen’s advice.

6 Alyssa July 20, 2011 at 6:56 pm

omg they are the worst!! We had a ton of them at my house recently too – best way to get rid of them is with an empty bottle! We used an empty 2L soda bottle and cut all the way around it, right above the label. Then we poured apple cider vinegar in the bottom, and inverted the top part of the bottle into the bottom part! Once they get in there they can’t find their way out! It works SO well!

7 Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 20, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Bummer! I have no suggestions, only sympathy! We sometimes get these weird rolly-polly bugs in the summer. But we only get a couple a week… not too bad. The fruit flies would drive me crazy!!!

8 Vanessa @ Sweaty in Pink July 20, 2011 at 6:58 pm

So unfortunate there is not an inconspicuous way to get rid of fruit flies, like an ant-trap or something. I wish I could offer some advice, but the only thing that I’ve heard of that works are those strips — which are total eyesores!

9 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy July 20, 2011 at 7:00 pm

We have fruit flies too! Every time I’m eating fruits or vegetables, they seem to swarm right to my food. It’s gross. We usually take all of the food off the counter, and they’ll eventually go away.

10 Ebru July 20, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Just 2 weeks ago I had the same problem and I thought I was losing my mind! I stuffed everything in my fridge and even some things in the microwave just to keep everything out of sight. They wouldn’t leave! “My” flies would gather around my kitchen sink area and would drive me crazy so after an extensive Google search, I decided to take some people’s advice of pouring bleach down all the drains including the bathroom sink just in case. Guess what? I left the sinks like that overnight and in the morning…voila! Not a single one! Now I am not sure if it’s environmentally safe to pour bleach down the drain but at that point nothing was more important than my mental health so I just went ahead with it! If you do try it, I hope it works for you as well. They can be so annoying!

11 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake July 20, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Ah I wish I had a good tip for you; that’s got to be really annoying! :(

I <3 leftovers, too! Who doesn't, actually?!

12 Corey @ Family Fresh Meals July 20, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Yes.. I have heard of Alyssa’s idea working great! My college roommate actually had to breed fruit flies for one of her pre med classes. UGH! Those suckers ended up getting EVERYWHERE. I now have a deep hate for fruit flies…. a deep deep hate :) good luck!

13 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles July 20, 2011 at 7:06 pm

I hear ya on not wanting to turn on the oven when it’s hot outside – no bueno!

14 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles July 20, 2011 at 7:09 pm

I hate fruit flies!!! They get in your face and seem to land on things you can’t swat them on… AHhhhhh, they drive me insane, veeeerrry slowly; which is the worst part!

15 Gina @ running to the kitchen July 20, 2011 at 7:10 pm

I could use some tips on this as well I have a ton of fruit in the house bc it’s prime fruit season of course! But, there are a ton of fruit flies now too and they are just gross!

16 Sarah R July 20, 2011 at 7:13 pm

I’ve always done cider vinegar in a dish with a drop of soap. The soap breaks the surface tension so the flies drop right into the vinegar when they land on it.

17 Jen M. July 20, 2011 at 8:52 pm

Ya, this is what I’ve done too…

18 Kristen July 20, 2011 at 7:21 pm

I agree about the dish soap! I usually put a teaspoon or so of dish soap in a small tupperware and then about the same amount of cider vinegar and just sit it on the countertop by where I see them the most. I came home from work the other day to 18 fruit flies in it… YUCK! I resorted to not buying bananas :( because I don’t eat them fast enough to deal with the fruit flies, and bananas kept in the refrigerator seriously gross me out. I need to try those bags!

19 Brittany July 20, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Yes ma’am, I mix soap and ACV. Works every time. I usually mix it up to make some bubbles. I don’t know if the bubbles make a difference, but it’s worth a shot to get rid of them!

20 Nicole July 20, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Having the same problem!! No idea why!! Sorry I dont have any suggestions..but thanks for yours! I’m going to try the apple cider…very annoying!

21 Gloria July 20, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Fruit flies are the weirdest things because we had a huge problem with them at my apartment in Worcester, MA, and at a restaurant I worked at there as well. But, at my family’s house in Connecticut, we have never had any problem with them (knock on wood), even with bananas laying out all the time.

At my old apartment, we tried putting a banana peel in a zip lock bag with small holes in it. That actually worked pretty well. The only thing that really helped though was buying insect spray (Raid) and spraying that in the kitchen. Another thing that helped after that was wrapping all fruit/vegetable scraps (like peels, seeds, and cores) in plastic bags before throwing them out in our garbage.

Good luck!

22 Shelley July 20, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Do the apple cider vinegar trap, but put a couple of drops of dish soap in with it. It’ll kill them and i think it also lures more flies in. Try that out :)

23 Girl in the pink July 20, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Ughh I wish I could help you! I have the sane prob!

24 Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 20, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Gah, I had the EXACT same problem for the past few weeks!! I tried everything and couldn’t get rid of the dang things. I’m really hoping scrubbing my kitchen totally clean, emptying it of any open food whatsoever, then leaving for three weeks will help. Or I’ll come home and my entire house will be infested..but fingers crossed.

25 colleen laquay urbaniuk @ thegiftofmondays July 20, 2011 at 7:46 pm

definitely try the vinegar with dish soap…it works great!!! i put about half apple cider vinegar into one of those plastic containers that you were using in the pics and then add a couple of squirts of dish soap (any kind) and do not stir!!! i do this in the morning and then again at night (with a new batch of brew). sometimes it takes 2 days of doing this to get rid of them but then suddenly, they are gone!!!

26 Laura July 20, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Fill a glass with white wine then put a little drop of dish soap in it. Works like a charm for me! Hope it helps!

27 alyssa - fashion fitness foodie July 20, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Try red wine vinegar instead!

28 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill July 20, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Ew! Fruit flies are the worst! Wish I had some tips for you!

29 Sherri July 20, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Definitely try setting out a small glass of wine with a drop of dish soap. It works!

30 Emily July 20, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Are you sure they’re fruit flies? I thought I had the same problem in my apartment, but it turns out there are similar flies that come from overwatering house plants. If you have a lot of plants in the house, water them less than you usually do for a couple of weeks and they should go away.

31 Jen M. July 20, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Yes! I’ve had this happen with plants too — the eggs are sometimes in the soil and then the heat + moisture from too-frequent watering causes them to hatch or something. You can also put a couple drops of dish soap into the water you use to water your plants and it helps to kill little bugs…

32 Gabriella @ Loosedirections July 20, 2011 at 7:59 pm

We always vacuum them right out of the air. Works like a charm

33 Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean July 20, 2011 at 8:14 pm

oh man, what a pain! those little guys are SO annoying!

34 Jessamy @ The Rambling Asian July 20, 2011 at 8:15 pm

I have filled a shot glass or three with vinegar and soap. Normally does the trick :)

35 Sarah @ Food and Love Diaries July 20, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Booo fruit flies are the worst! That dinner looks pretty tasty though.. not enough to distract from the flies i’m sure :(

36 Julie K. July 20, 2011 at 8:21 pm

I use an empty sports drink bottle or Vitamin Water bottle, drill 5 or 6 holes in the lid and fill the bottle half full of plain old vinegar and it seems to do the trick!

37 Carey @ Positively Blonde July 20, 2011 at 8:47 pm

My roommates and I had the worst fruit fly problem in college. We used every at home remedy to try to get rid of those little pests, and finally discovered a winner- dishwashing soap and apple cider vinegar. Mixx them in a cup and leave it uncovered. Good luck!

38 Kelsey July 20, 2011 at 8:48 pm

A glass of white wine! We just put it on an open counter top (ours is right near the sink) there were 10 floating the next morning and now there practically all gone and its only been 3 days!!

39 Pure2raw twins July 20, 2011 at 8:50 pm

oh no hate fruit flies, I normally do apple cider with a little dish soap in a bowl and it takes some but eventually they make it in the bowl

40 Cute~Ella July 20, 2011 at 9:07 pm

spray down all surfaces that might have any traces of food on them with windex.
run hot hot hot water down the drains for about 5 min and then pour bleach in the drain (I like lemon scented) and let it sit for like 10 min or so and then another round of hot hot hot water.

I’m having the same problem too and have my dish out, but the drain thing helped A LOT

41 Halley (Blunder Construction) July 20, 2011 at 9:18 pm

You are definitely not alone. I’ve also tried pouring some red wine into just a dish and leaving it out, I’ve caught many that way.

Also, I’m sure you’ve done this, but on a particularly bad day, I wipe down all the surfaces around the sink/where the hang out. Walls, cabinets, counters, even the tops of counters get a quick wipe.

42 Elizabeth July 20, 2011 at 9:31 pm

The glass of red wine works for me! they are disgusting!

43 Regan July 20, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Last year when we bought our house…the previous owners left a apple pie from McDonald’s in the cupboard…and along with it…ton’s of fruitflies….I was furious…….so we researched…and made our own little recipe….. we added anything and everything…in the traps like you’ve made…I’d suggest adding WINE….pork and bean sauce/juice….simple syrup…..good luck….and patience…. hope your free of then soon!…p.s. I Love your blog!! :) RLA

44 Jen @familyfoodfitnessandfun July 20, 2011 at 10:26 pm

When I had that problem, I would make the same trap, but with wine! Those little buggers really seemed to like wine :)

45 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 20, 2011 at 10:49 pm

I had the same problem in college! I used to pour wine into a bowl and poke the holes as a trap… try some sweet red! ;)

46 Lee @ in the pink of condition July 20, 2011 at 11:30 pm

I feel your pain! At least you aren’t in NYC though. We get EVERYTHING! Ants, mice, roaches, flies, waterbugs, you name it. I’m not even phased by anything anymore. No matter how clean your home is, you’re gonna get infested!

47 TheBloggersBrother July 20, 2011 at 11:50 pm

I know if you put like 6 pennies in a bag of water it keeps bugs out of dog food, not sure if it would work with fruit flies? worth a shot..

48 Kate July 21, 2011 at 12:25 am

I put balsamic vinegar in a little bowl with a couple drops of dish soap. Shake it up so the dish soap makes bubbles on the top. The little gaffers smell the vinegar but get stuck in the bubbles!

49 Laura July 21, 2011 at 1:41 am

i’ve had a few fruit flies before but nothing extreme, poor thing!

oh & your dinner looks delicious!

50 Aine @ Something to Chew Over July 21, 2011 at 4:18 am

I’ve never had them before, sorry I can’t help!

51 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 21, 2011 at 5:33 am

There’s been a fruit fly invasion occurring in my house over the past 3 months! I would just try to keep the doors and windows closed as much as possible and swat them whenever you see them so they don’t multiply

52 jacqueline July 21, 2011 at 7:32 am

Pour a little bleach down every drain in your house at night and then cover them, in the morning they should be gone!

53 Michelle Binkley July 21, 2011 at 8:05 am

Get a jar (I’ve used mason jars in the past) and cut a paper cone to slide into the top. Make sure the opening of the bottom of the cone is very small. Place part of a banana peel in the jar. Tape the cone to the jar. The flies will go in to get to the banana, but will be unable to fly out. Be prepared, though, the first time I did this I was totally grossed out by how many fruit flies were trapped in there! Here’s a link to a picture of the “trap” I found online.
Hope this helps!

54 Katy July 21, 2011 at 8:15 am

I had this problem a few years back! Mine would always concentrate near my kitchen sink. I did the apple cider vinegar thing and it didn’t fix the problem. For me, I could *always* see them all over the kitchen and near the sink. So, in a fit of rage (which ended up working quite well!), I grabbed the vacuum, attached the hose, and sucked up those damn little flies!

Worth a shot ;)

55 Brittany July 21, 2011 at 9:08 am

Don’t they always say you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar… ;)

56 Steph @321delish July 21, 2011 at 9:29 am

I had fruit flies like whoa last summer, and I went to the hardware store and bought this little thing that was shaped like a tiny apple, filled with some kind of chemical, with one way in and no way out for the bugs. It was similar to the vinegar in a cup idea, but whatever was in it worked WAY better than the vinegar (I tried it too). I just don’t remember what it was called…

57 sarah July 21, 2011 at 9:40 am

We have ‘em too! UGH! they are a very unnecessary part of creation (along with a ton of other critters). I do something that’s a little wierd, but hey it works for me. When i see one, i just make a really scary face with my mouth open wide and eyes bulge. The Catch- YOU CANT BRUSH YOUR TEETH YET SO DO IT IN THE MORNING. Your breath HAS TO STINK. Then the little flies do what anyone else in that situation would do- they fall over.

58 Courtney July 21, 2011 at 9:46 am

LOL!!!!!! :-D

59 Maria@La_Piattini July 21, 2011 at 11:48 am

We have them too! So annoying! I need to read through your comments to get some suggestions for my house ;)

60 Melissa July 21, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Fly paper–icky, yes. But it’s the only thing that really gets rid of them. And fast. Just do it!

61 Taylor July 21, 2011 at 2:37 pm

We just had the same problem – A secret that we found was spraying them with Windex!! You may feel insane carrying around the bottle with you lol, but spray them at the little pests and they are instantly down for the count :)

62 Heidi R July 21, 2011 at 6:01 pm

The wine works! We had a HUGE problem with fruit flies the past 2 summers and strangely enough, we live in Worcester, MA too like one of the previous commenters mentioned-maybe it’s a Worcester thing! ;) I tried everything-nothing worked until I put some cheap wine (fruit flies like their wine fruity and cheap-think white zin) in a bowl, used a drop of dish soap to break the surface tension, and then covered the bowl with saran wrap with holes poked in it. Flies got in, but couldn’t get out-worked like a charm! (And I was horrified by how many flies we trapped. UGH!)

63 Lauren July 22, 2011 at 10:32 pm

I have heard that orange juice with a bit of vinegar mixed together works well! Just in a little bowl with plastic wrap and little holes poked in it.