Changes In My Future

by Courtney on September 1, 2011

Nine years ago, I graduated from high school.

Yikes. Hello, blond Courtney.

I still can’t believe it’s been nine years. Where does the time go? I left high school knowing full well that college was right around the corner, and I was ready.

Wouldn’t you know, it was nine years ago this very week that I began my first year of college, working towards my dream of one day becoming an elementary school teacher.

I worked my butt off during my time in college, loving almost every minute of it (you know, beside the horrible finals and all that jazz). I created lesson plan after lesson plan, unit plan after unit plan; loving every bit of pride that I gained in knowing that I was capable of creating really great work. Before I knew it, I was student teaching, and within 3-1/2 years, I graduated, with honors, and became the proud recipient of a Bachelor’s degree in Childhood Education.

IMG_0467 (640x480)

Despite having a potential teaching opportunity right at my fingertips upon graduating, I decided to pass it up in favor of sticking with school full-time. I went on to continue my education, working towards a Masters degree in Literacy, knowing full well that if I took any amount of time off, it would be that much more difficult to get back into the groove.

I continued to work hard – probably harder than I had ever had to work at something in my semi-adult life. More lesson plans were developed, more students were tutored; and within 1-1/2 years, I became the proud recipient of a Master’s degree in Literacy.

DSC01783 (640x480)

Now fully educated, I immediately immersed myself into the field of education, searching for jobs left and right. For two years, I had a difficult time finding a permanent position and ended up doing a lot of substitute teaching and filling in for leaves of absence. Despite the fact that I did not have a classroom of my own yet, I soon became aware of the fact that my former teachers had certainly told the truth:

“You’ll never fully understand the life of a teacher until you experience it for yourself.”

It wasn’t that I doubted what they had said; surely this would be the case with any profession? But I had so strongly loved all of the intricate details of my schoolwork and planning of lessons up to this point that I never imagined it would make much of a difference for me…

IMG_6099 (640x480)

Well I eventually landed myself a probationary teaching position. I was happy, but I nervously found that the passion that was once there for the profession had become slightly dim. I brushed off these feelings, attributing them to the nerves of being fully immersed in the adult job world. I mean, this was a big change…and I had never been great with change. But they still never went away.

There were numerous times that I tried talking to my family about these feelings. At first, they said I was just being silly; that I was afraid of growing up and that I’d be fine. This was, in fact, what I went to school for, so of course this is what I wanted…right?

Well if that was the case, then why were my “Sunday blues” getting so bad?

Why was I dreading going to work the next day?

Fast-forward to this past school year. I changed grade levels, had some great teachers on my team, and went in with a brand new perspective on things. I was determined that this was going to be the best school year yet, so I put all of my energy into it and dove in head first. To be honest, it probably was the best school year I’d ever had. I had an amazing class of 19 fifth graders who I was bananas for. I enjoyed seeing them each and every day.

IMG_6685 (480x640)

But despite my awesome class, there was still something missing. The passion just wasn’t there.

Fast-forward a bit more to this past April, and I suddenly found myself not teaching. I’m not going to get into the details about it because honestly, it’s done and over with and it’s in my past. What I do know is that I’ve always been a firm believer in “everything happens for a reason” and I suddenly found myself trying to figure out what those reasons were.

I spent months dwelling on it, but all along, I couldn’t help but feeling somewhat of a sense of relief. Perhaps this situation was a way of telling me that I needed to move forward…I needed to stop spending my days doing something that I wasn’t truly passionate about. It was time to look ahead.

So for these past five months, I’ve been doing a whole lot of soul searching. There has been many, many days with frustration, anger, and tears. There has also been days filled with overwhelming joy and excitement about all of the potential that is right at my fingertips.

Then, right before I left for HLS, it hit me: I knew what I wanted to do. It had been something in the back of my mind for probably about a year now. Actually, it started shortly after I began immersing myself more and more into the world of healthy living blogs. But it was almost as if a switch had flipped overnight and suddenly I was sure.

A good handful of you reading this right now probably already know what I’m talking about. That’s because, as soon as that feeling hit, I had to get it out. I talked to family and many, many friends about it. (Thank you to my dear blog friends, Julie, Paige, Tina, Gina, Heather, Jen, and Alicia –to name a few- for listening!)

Many of them weren’t the slightest bit surprised by my revelation, which I found somewhat surprising and comforting. I’ve always enjoyed helping people. I’ve always loved interacting with people. I’ve always enjoyed teaching. My love for fitness has grown tremendously over this past year, and now I am ready and eager to share this passion with others. SO…

I’ve begun studying to become certified as a personal trainer!

I never thought I’d be so excited about “studying” for something else again in my life, but I really am. Whereas “studying” used to be just getting through the chapter before, now I’m attempting to soak up every last bit of it. I’m like a darn sponge, I’ll tell ya!

As for the blog, you probably won’t see too much different, except for some extra comments about studying, I’m sure. But I am so darn excited to get this ball rolling and start putting together some of the ideas that are swirling around in my brain.

*****

If you’re still reading at this point, you rock. Really. I had no intention of this post being so darn wordy, but I had a lot to say and it just kept spilling out. Actually, I could probably go on and on even more, but I think it’s good to keep it at this.

So for now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go do a little more studying for my future. Winking smile

1 Liz September 1, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Congrats! Had a feeling you might choose that path! Very exciting. You and Tina can virtually train all of us :)

2 Natalie @ Will Jog For Food September 1, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Good luck! I’m sure you will be an AMAZING trainer :)

3 Sweet and Savvy September 1, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Congratulations!! I’m so happy that you have found YOUR perfect niche of teaching! :) You will make one great personal trainer. Good luck with studying and all of your future as a personal trainer.. like you will need it! ;) Sounds like so much fun!
Sweet and Savvy recently posted..WIAW + Spiced Vanilla Chai Oat Recipe

4 Steph @ StephSnacks September 1, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Yeah Courtney!! I follow your blog all the time and I am so happy for you. Sometimes we face these dilemma’s in life and it just so happens that this came about for a reason. Congratulations!

5 Lyndsie @ highcottonlivin.com September 1, 2011 at 3:06 pm

This is so exciting for you! I can completely relate to your Sunday blues. I graduated with an elementary education degree and by the time student teaching was behind me I was really lacking in motivation and came to the conclusion that I really didn’t want to teach. I am still trying to find out what exactly I’m supposed to be doing – which can be an emotional challenge. You’re post today was such an inspiration! Thanks for sharing :)
Lyndsie @ highcottonlivin.com recently posted..Purple Magic Aqua Mist

6 Courtney September 2, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Good luck to you, Lyndsie!

7 4loveofcarrots September 1, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Wohoo congrats on going after something that makes you so happy!! This is truly inspiring to me b.c. I’m currently at a job I dread every single day! I am waiting for my a-ha moment and hope it happens soon! Good luck studying I’m sure u will rock the test.
4loveofcarrots recently posted..Vista Print and winner of zee give away!

8 Danica @ It's Progression Not Perfection September 1, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Courtney, you should be so proud of yourself for going after what you truly want!! Good luck studying! : )
Danica @ It’s Progression Not Perfection recently posted..speak with no sound.

9 Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled September 1, 2011 at 3:11 pm

That’s so awesome!! Congratulations! What a great step and way to go in following your heart.

I’m struggling now with what I want to do with the rest of my life because I’ve not been totally happy with my job, so I truly admire your fortitude. You’re going to be great!

10 Katie September 1, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Congrats!!!!!!! I’m so excited for u!! I believe u should follow your heart and do what u love and am so glad u are!!!

Yay!! Xoxo <3

11 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 1, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Congrats Courtney! It’s exciting to finally to be able to “figure it out” when that lightbulb goes off about what you want to do with your life. Been there and can relate :)
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Sundried tomato pesto & pantry pasta

12 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries September 1, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Congrats! I had a feeling it the “change” was going to be some sort of career path change… :) I got my NASM PT certification last summer too. I loved NASM style of teaching. It was thorough, explained things well, and wasn’t TOO scientific for my non-scientific brain. Ha. Are you wanting to train at a specific gym? Or what is your plan? If you ever have any questions about NASM, the test, or personal training, please don’t hesitate to ask me!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Summer Favorites

13 Courtney September 2, 2011 at 4:35 pm

I have a couple ideas, but no particular plan. I figured I should take care of the studying part first. ;)

Any particular chapters I should focus on more than others??

14 Samantha @ Running and Cupcakes September 1, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Congratulations Courtney! That’s a great goal.

I’ve actually been debating, for a few weeks now, writing a post similar to this one. You’ve inspired me, and now I’m going to do it! :-)

Thanks, and good luck!
Samantha @ Running and Cupcakes recently posted..A HUGE Month (Day 17)

15 Shayla @ The Good Life September 1, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Congratulations Courtney!! I’m so happy for you and I know you’ll kick butt with this new venture! I know firsthand you’re great at helping people, you’re my go to person for blog related things and have helped me tremendously :)

I too have had a similar experience with my passions not transitioning well into the workforce. Mine was with fashion and though it didn’t bode well as a career for me and my parents paid thousands of dollars in schooling for it…in the end it just didn’t work out and I had to follow my heart and now I’m in an entirely different career!

Over the years we grow and learn so much about ourselves – to this day I think 18 is too young to even know what we’re meant to do in life! In the end it matters that you follow your heart and gut and do what makes you happy. After all, we only have one life to live! :)

P.S. It was a perfect amount of wordiness ;)
Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..Happy September!…And New Goals

16 Alicia September 1, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Yay!!! Congratulations!

17 Brenda September 1, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Good for you! I thought you were going to say that you decided to open a bakery since baking is one of your talents.
I’m a teacher and I totally understand the feelings you went through. Unfortunately, teaching is much more than creating lesson plans and teaching. People outside of the profession will never know what it is like. It takes a toll on your body and mind.
Enjoy studying!

18 Jill @ Jill is Active September 1, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Congratulations on your decision and good luck!! I work in insurance now because it is was my first full-time offer after college that I couldn’t pass up.

However – I know this is not where my passion is – fitness and healthy living is! I studied to get my Group Exercise Instruction Cert and passed the exam in February. I now teach classes after my 8-5 job :) It really makes such a difference to do something you love!

I look forward to hearing about all that is to follow!!

19 Sarah C September 1, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Congratulations! Although i am a bit disappointed you didn’t open a cupcake bakery ;-) (Kidding of course!)

20 Theodora September 1, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Congrats! You’ll be great!
Theodora recently posted..chloe + isabel Launch Party and Summer Body Experiment Check-In

21 Ruthie Hart September 1, 2011 at 3:25 pm

that was my 2nd guess…behind you being pregnant!!!!!!!! I am so excited for you!! You will be such a great personal trainer girl!
Ruthie Hart recently posted..My Bachelorette Party!

22 Courtney September 2, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Hahaha, oh GOSH, no!

23 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries September 1, 2011 at 3:26 pm

I KNEW this is what your big announcement was going to be! :) I’m really happy for you, Courtney! You’re going to be great! See..everything (even stressing over resumes) happens for a reason :)
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Totally Truthful Thursday

24 Amy September 1, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Courtney, I LOVED reading this post!! Congrats on making a fabulous and meaningful decision. Xo

25 Molly Carter September 1, 2011 at 3:33 pm

This is great, Courtney! I’m so happy for you. Though, I’m sure the field of education will miss you as a teacher. Congrats on taking the plunge and committing to something you truly love. I wish you could come down here and train me back to my pre-baby body! :)
Molly Carter recently posted..Tailgate Thursday

26 Karen September 1, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Congrats Courtney! You will be a wonderful trainer!! I have always considered a career in fitness as I use to take & teach dance and my husband is a personal trainer now. I tell him all the time that if I was to ever quite my job that I would want to do training or teach fitness classes. Good luck with everything!!

27 Steph @321delish September 1, 2011 at 3:38 pm

I’m so glad you are following your heart! Go get ‘em girl!

My boyfriend always tells me that the most important decisions in life are 1) how your going to make a living and 2) who you’re going to spend the rest of your life with. If number one ain’t right, then it will be a stress on #2 for sure!

Good luck!! You’re going to be great!
Steph @321delish recently posted..What Did the Police Say to the Yogi?

28 Courtney September 2, 2011 at 4:38 pm

That is SO true!!

29 Hannah September 1, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Yay congrats!I think you will do amazing! It’s something I am interested in however I do not think I’m out going enough! U will be awesome! :)
Hannah recently posted..Wordless WIAW

30 Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) September 1, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Awesome- there’s nothing like having that excited feeling about the future! Any suggestions for getting my body back post baby? Get back to me on that one ;)
And congrats!
Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) recently posted..Operation Baby Eviction

31 Meari September 1, 2011 at 3:45 pm

I have a BA in History and an MS in Elementary Education. I tried for 7 years to find a teaching position in Central NY. I eventually moved to Virginia.

I taught in 3 different districts over a 4 year span. My contract wasn’t renewed in any of them.

And I’m glad.

Toward then end I was having daily panic attacks during lunch… about teaching. NCLB is stressful!

I’m not a secretary. It was the best career move ever.
Meari recently posted..Easy come, Easy go…

32 prathiba September 1, 2011 at 3:45 pm

congrats! How exciting! I’m glad you worked it out and found your new dream. Cant wait to hear all about it as we follow you on this journey! Best of luck!

33 Renee September 1, 2011 at 3:45 pm

CONGRATS COURTNEY!!

34 Mary Beth September 1, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Congratulations! I also left teaching three years ago after realizing I didn’t love it anymore. I felt so much better knowing that I was following my heart and giving someone who would love to teach the opportunity to join our school district. As much as I miss the kiddos sometimes I love my new career path and the passion it gives me!

35 Courtney September 2, 2011 at 4:39 pm

That’s so true…I’ll miss the kids, but I know there’s more opportunity out there for me!

36 Jillian @ sprinkle massacre September 1, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Yay! Congrats! My boyfriend “bought” me the training materials for my birthday (in June), but I never actually got around to ordering them because of the time restraint you have from the day you order. I figured waiting would be best since my summer has been crazy busy! I look forward to hearing how studying is coming along and what to look forward to. That is so exciting!!

37 Megan September 1, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Awesome! I’ve considered trying that career path as well – but have decided to put it on the back burner for now. I’m excited to see your journey – you will be fantastic! (And funny how us educators just can’t seem to get away from learning!)
Megan recently posted..Pain in the…Shin

38 Trainer Kjirsten @ Balanced Healthy Life September 1, 2011 at 3:53 pm

You’ll love working as a personal traininer. I got certified and started training about 6 years ago! Its such a fun career and has so many oppoturnities! Currently I just train a few clients a week and my husband and I are busy running and owning our three gyms we have! Everything does happen for a reason and you just need to keep moving on forward!!! : )
Trainer Kjirsten @ Balanced Healthy Life recently posted..Workout of the Week and Thursday Agenda!

39 Trainer Kjirsten @ Balanced Healthy Life September 1, 2011 at 3:53 pm

You’ll love working as a personal traininer. I got certified and started training about 6 years ago! Its such a fun career and has so many oppoturnities! Currently I just train a few clients a week as my husband and I are busy running and owning our three gyms we have! Everything does happen for a reason and you just need to keep moving on forward!!! : )

40 Courtney September 2, 2011 at 4:40 pm

WOW, you own three gyms?!? That’s amazing!!

41 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life September 1, 2011 at 3:54 pm

So you’re not having a baby? ;) Congrats girl on finding your new career path!
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Cheese and Turtles

42 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun September 1, 2011 at 3:57 pm

YAY!!! And you know what – how cool would it be if we could do a combined effort or something?! ;)
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..An Extra Dose

43 Courtney September 2, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Tina, we NEED to do something about this…no doubt about it!!

44 Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer September 1, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Congratulations and good luck! What an exciting time for you!
Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer recently posted..Oops, I ate it again

45 Jen September 1, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Congratulations!!! I really loved reading this post – it was real and honest and you can feel the excitement you have for your new venture!

46 Drew September 1, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Hi Courtney! I have never commented on your blog before but I just had to reach out as I am going through the EXACT same thing right now myself!
I have been in a finance position for the past three years and have felt for too long that my love for life just isn’t there anymore! I couldn’t sit around and wait for a change, so I decided to take the same plunge and just got my Personal Trainer books in the mail on Wednesday!! I will be giving my notice on Tuesday and cannot wait to begin to do what I am passionate about. I wish you the best of luck in this and can’t wait to see your progress as well!!

47 Courtney September 2, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Wow, congrats, Drew! Best of luck to you :)

48 Cute~Ella September 1, 2011 at 4:06 pm

I had a feeling you’d end up going this way after our lunch and further chats. I’m very excited for you! Good luck.
Cute~Ella recently posted..Five Questions for Your Friday

49 ellalinea September 1, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Congrats Courtney!! So happy that you follow your heart and live your life with passion.. !! Also, I’m very excited to see some of those posts regarding personal training and exercise methods.. BRING IT ON!! :DD

50 Marie September 1, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Wow! That’s so awesome to hear! It seems like it is combining a few of your passions and expertise as well! ;) I’m excited to hear about your journey! ;)

51 Sarah @ Simply Dove Simply Life September 1, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Congratulations!! It’s always so fun starting something new! Not to mention, finding out what you really want to do! I’m still working on that myself. I have so many directions I could go, but I’m sure I’ll figure it out sooner or later! :)

52 Jennifer September 1, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Congratulations and good luck with your new goal! I enjoy reading your blog and am looking forward to hearing about your new journey!
Jennifer recently posted..One Month

53 KitKat @ Pursuit of Happiness September 1, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Congrats Courtney! What an exciting decision!

I’d love to hear about the whole process from studying to taking the test to your first clients since I think it’s something that so many of us bloggers think about doing (but don’t necessarily have the guys to do it!) :)
KitKat @ Pursuit of Happiness recently posted..September Goals

54 Courtney September 2, 2011 at 4:42 pm

I will definitely be talking about it along the way! ;)

55 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss September 1, 2011 at 4:24 pm

crazily enough, I just made the same decision! I’m going to get certified in October. yaay!
Alyssa @ Life of bLyss recently posted..Laying Down the Law.

56 Courtney September 2, 2011 at 4:43 pm

That’s awesome!
Great minds think alike? ;)

57 Paige @ RAN September 1, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Yay!!:) you know I’m rootin’ for ya girl! It’s such a rewarding field. This post just made me more motivated to train my next clients today :D

58 Lauren September 1, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Hi Courtney. I don’t think I’ve ever commented here before, but I just had to today. I’m currently a part-time PE/Health teacher. I got cut to part time 2 years ago and spent a few weeks crying, feeling sorry for myself until I finally pulled it all together and ordered my study materials from NASM to become a trainer. I devoted my time that I wasn’t working to studying and passed the exam a year ago. So happy for you and glad you’ve found something you’ll love doing!

59 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance September 1, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Wow, Courtney. I’m SO glad that you wrote this post because I can relate on so many levels.

Although I’m a year away from attaining my Bachelors degree in Legal Studies (I’m a few years behind so bear with me ;) ) I recently came to realize that law is something I did NOT want to do. Since birth, my mother practically branded me with a “lawyer” nameplate telling me each and every day that I have “the mind of a lawyer” and “the speaking skills of a lawyer.” I went ahead to college and followed through with my law major because I thought that’s what I was supposed to do. “Right? Right.”

I started taking law classes and really wasn’t feeling it, but I kept telling myself that it was what I was meant to do. Last year, I got my first internship at a law firm and realized with certainty that I hated the field. I had no passion for it, and it did not make me happy, REGARDLESS of how much money you stuffed in my pocket. When I told my mom about this feeling, she told me I was crazy and reminded me that I was “born to be a lawyer.”

Finally, after a year of working in the firm, I quit. Simple as that. I decided that I didn’t know what I wanted to do, and I was fine with that.
For a few months now, Will & I have been bouncing around the idea of me getting my PT certification too because it is honestly something that I feel I would LOVE and could see myself being happy with in the long run. Money is always just money– I should’ve listened to my heart all along.

ANYWAY, now that I’ve written my own freaking blog post in your comment section– I want to say that I am SO happy for you and your decision. I know 100% how dissatisfying it can feel to be in a field that you know deep down isn’t for you. I couldn’t be prouder of you for reaching after your goals & I know that you will absolutely DOMINATE that test and anything else in your way. So what if you didn’t know what you wanted to do right away? Who does, really? :)
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Things I’m Lovin’ Thursday: 5th Edition

60 Courtney September 2, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Thank you, Brittany!
It sounds like you’re starting to get yourself headed in the right direction…good luck, girl!

61 Holly September 1, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Congrats Court!! :D I’m looking forward to sharing along with you in your journal to this new part in your life!
But I swear I thought you were going to say that you were opening up a bakery!! :)
Holly recently posted..Crohn’s Mini Series- Part II

62 Morgan @ Endorphaholic September 1, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Congratulations Courtney! I just made the change from teaching to Personal Training and Registered Dietitian. I’m here if you ever need to talk to someone who is the same part of the process! Doesn’t it feel so amazing to be doing something you are so passionate about?!
Morgan @ Endorphaholic recently posted..First National Park Trip

63 Courtney September 2, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Thanks, Morgan!
Did you also go through NASM?

64 Morgan @ Endorphaholic September 2, 2011 at 6:34 pm

I’m just about to start it. I’m also starting courses to get my RD. I’ve heard great things about it, but are you happy with NASM?

65 Courtney September 2, 2011 at 6:40 pm

SO far, yes! But I’m really only at the beginning stages, so I don’t have much to go on quite yet.

66 em September 1, 2011 at 4:38 pm

congratulations! & good luck :)

67 Aska @ Finding My Happy Ending September 1, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Everything happens for a reason–I love it! Something I live by. I’m so excited for you Courtney. Congratulations!!
Aska @ Finding My Happy Ending recently posted..24

68 Marie September 1, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Wow! Congratulations! This is such great news; I can’t wait to hear more! It seems to combine your passion and expertise as well!

69 Cassie September 1, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Hi Courtney! Congratulations on the career change. It takes courage to take a leap of faith like this! The health and fitness industry is a very rewarding one to be in, I know you’ll excel at it!
Cassie recently posted..Chunky Veggie Marinara & A Givewaway: Door to Door Organics!

70 Heather @ Girlyeverafter September 1, 2011 at 4:54 pm

I’m so happy for you. I’m in school part time to be an Esthetician after working in the media world for 4 yrs. It’s amazing how studying about something you’re interested in will change how you use to view homework. It’s all about doing what you love and you’ll never “work” again;)
Heather @ Girlyeverafter recently posted..September Already?

71 Lindsay @ cupcakes to carrots September 1, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Congrats to you!!! I think that is very exciting that these healthy living blogs have inspired you so much. I just recently got interested in blogging and healthy living and I have to agree…this is a very inspiring and supportive community.

Not to be all in your business…just curious…but if your not teaching and you haven’t yet became certified to be a personal trainer, do you have a job or any kind of work?
Lindsay @ cupcakes to carrots recently posted..Why me Lord? WHY ME!!!!!!!!

72 Courtney September 2, 2011 at 4:47 pm

I’ve still been looking for something part time for some extra money during this transition period. I may end up substitute teaching!

73 Rick September 1, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Good Luck Court -Im glad it wasnt the hair, lol

74 Allie@LiveLaughEat September 1, 2011 at 5:01 pm

That’s awesome, Courtney! Congrats on figuring out the next step.

75 Jessica September 1, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Congrats! It’s so much more fun to study when you’re really excited and passionate about something. I agree with the other poster that said it’s really hard to know what you want to do when you’re only 18 years old! I work in higher education with a lot of non-traditional students and I’m quickly finding out that it’s NEVER too late to follow your passions. We recently had a 60 year old graduate from one of our Medical programs :)
Jessica recently posted..Farmers Market Finds

76 Jessamy @ The Rambling Asian September 1, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Ooohh, congrats!!! :) You will make a good personal trainer!!
Jessamy @ The Rambling Asian recently posted..My Grandfather

77 Kristen @ notsodomesticated September 1, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Good for you, Courtney. It takes a lot of courage to change “paths,” but I’m a firm believer in doing what you love! I’m sure you’ll be awesome at being a trainer!!!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..A new month, and a new season.

78 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 1, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Congrats Courtney! While I was secretly sitting here with my fingers crossed that you were opening a bakery filled with all your yummy treats, this seems like a great choice for you! :-)
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..A New Best Friend

79 Courtney September 2, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Hahaha, I’ll still keep doing it on the side…talk about two different extremes though, right? ;)

80 Emily @ Relishments September 1, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Such great news and a perfect fit for you! Congrats on figuring out your next step. I’m so happy for you.
Emily @ Relishments recently posted..Thoughts on “168 Hours”

81 Ashley September 1, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Congratulations Courtney!!!! This will be a great and rewarding change! I live in Colonie so when you pass and start training i’ll train with you!!

82 Courtney September 2, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Awesome!! :-D

83 FoodCents September 1, 2011 at 5:25 pm

This is my first time reading your blog, but I am glad I came upon such an exciting post. Life is too shorts & precious to spent out time doing things that don’t feed the soul. Cheers to you for finding something that ignited a spark within you!!!

84 Jayme @ Runner-n-Spice September 1, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Congrats on your decision lady!! Youll be a great personal trainer – what a GREAT career eh??
Jayme @ Runner-n-Spice recently posted..Training plans & my accent vlog

85 Lindsay @ biking before bed September 1, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Congrats Courtney for taking such a huge leap. Often times we are not encouraged to truely… follow our hearts. When you tell people that you went to school for “X” they assume you will go into that profession until you retire. I have learned that education is not as cut and dry as I once thought. All of your teaching classes will only make you that much of a better personal trainer. I went to school for engineering and am having similar thoughts about my career right now. Sometimes its hard to “know what you want to be when you grow up” at 18.
Lindsay @ biking before bed recently posted..Sweeeeet shrimp

86 Courtney September 2, 2011 at 4:51 pm

That’s what I’m hoping!
Thanks, Lindsay :)

87 Kirsten September 1, 2011 at 5:37 pm

This is so weird but I JUST GOT MY PERSONAL TRAINING STUDY SET IN THE MAIL. Wanting to take a little study break I moseyed on over to read your blog. And hurrah! You are studying to get your certification too! Congrats on making a decision. I cannot WAIT to read about your path towards becoming a personal trainer. I’m right there with ya!!

-Kirsten
Kirsten recently posted..China: Stewing and Shopping in Shanghai

88 Tracy @ Commit to Fit September 1, 2011 at 5:43 pm

That is fantastic! I know you will make a great trainer. If you ever need any help or support, I am happy to lend a hand!
Tracy @ Commit to Fit recently posted..Recipe Makeover: Peach-Mango Cake Squares with Stevia

89 Courtney September 2, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Thank you, Tracy! :)

90 Carissa September 1, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Congrats girl! Way to go! It’s so hard to feel like you failed when you went for school for something and it’s just not what you love doing.

I went through the same rollercoaster. I went to school for TV broadcasting and worked for 6 years…but sleeping in hotel rooms away from my hubby to cover a football game wasn’t what I dreamed it would be. Family was more important and my passion, as is yours, became fitness and healthy food.

I became a certified personal trainer and am now in school AGAIN to be an RD. Gosh – I hope I get it right this time!

My point is 1 – if you ever have any PT exam questions let me know. 2- it feels liberating to trust your gut and do what you believe is right for you!

91 Courtney September 2, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Thanks, Carissa!
As far as the exam goes…any particular chapters I should focus on more than others?? :)

92 Carissa September 2, 2011 at 10:35 pm

First of all, I’m amazed at all the fantastic comments on here. What an inspiration you are!

Anyway – I haven’t taken the test or looked at the book in years…but..there was a lot of the sagittal, frontal, transvere plane. Like “shoulder abduction takes place in “x” plane.”

Also the names of what muscles are used in what moves. Leg extension uses what muscle?

The worst part were the questions about the practical/client stuff. Because it was easy to overthink these. One was, “You have a client in an initial meeting who is not making eye contact. What do you do?” I remember dwelling on this on a while.

Good luck!!!!
Carissa recently posted..Football time! 5 rules for football party success

93 Carissa September 1, 2011 at 5:47 pm

ps – making orange creamsicle cupcakes for the college football weekend! Wish me luck!
Carissa recently posted..Arm-ageddon – Biceps & Tricep Workout

94 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey September 1, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Congratulations!!!! I’m so happy that you are doing something you are passionate about! I honestly could not imagein getting up and going to work every day if I weren’t passionate about my job. Going to work should never seem like a chore!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..august reflections, september goals

95 Cait @ Cait hates Cake September 1, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Congratulations on following your dreams, Courtney!! Can’t wait to follow you through this process! Best wishes!!
Cait @ Cait hates Cake recently posted..Watermelon Jello Shots (Vegan)

96 Tracy @ Tracy's Treats September 1, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Congratulations! It’s wonderful that you will be pursuing something you feel so passionate about!
Tracy @ Tracy’s Treats recently posted..Confession: I Inhale My Food

97 Corey @ Family Fresh Meals September 1, 2011 at 6:21 pm

That is so great Courtney! What a great profession to get into!
Corey @ Family Fresh Meals recently posted..Bento Love: Back to School

98 Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean September 1, 2011 at 6:30 pm

congrats! how awesome that you’re pursuing your dream!
Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean recently posted..Veggie Month-Week 4

99 Lindsay September 1, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Congrats on ur decision Courtney. I’ve been reading ur blog for a few months now. But I HAD to comment on this post. I was an elementary school teacher (with a Master’s in Education) for 6 years. I had those feelings on Sundays and fell out of love with teaching. I got my NASM CPT and have now been training for two months! It’s the first Fall that I haven’t gone back to school, but I really love my new career. And I still get to teach! You’ll love it! Good luck with the studying :)

100 Liz @ Tip Top Shape September 1, 2011 at 6:39 pm

With ya for every word! Kudos to you for realizing that teaching wasn’t right for you and pushing ahead to find your real passion. I think a lot of people would be too scared to leave what they pursued in college. Congrats on the new career path and I hope it’s what you’re looking for!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Blueberry Bottom

101 Aimoree September 1, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Awesome! That’s so exciting! You’re going to be one rocking, cupcake baking, iron pumping of a trainer!

102 Jordan September 1, 2011 at 6:48 pm

congratulations, courtney!! this is so so exciting. good for you for pursuing what you want to be and do!
Jordan recently posted..I Love Healthy Eating Because…

103 Sara September 1, 2011 at 6:56 pm

I’m so excited for you!! And I can totally relate. I’m a graduate student studying accounting, and while I enjoy that, fitness is another of my passions. So this summer I got certified as a group fitness instructor, and I’m teaching my first class next week actually!! I’m still planning on doing accounting as a career, but step aerobics has really been a creative outlet for me, and I think it will help keep me sane! Haha. Enjoy studying!! You’ll do great!

104 Suzanne Spray September 1, 2011 at 7:14 pm

That is TERRIFIC :) You are going to be AWESOME, and will super MOTIVATE people that are looking to change their lifestyle and/or workout routine. Good Luck! :)
Suzanne Spray recently posted..Physical Activity: Walking

105 Charlie September 1, 2011 at 7:17 pm

This is GREAT!! I am sure you will be an awesome personal trainer!
It is kind of funny because I have been searching for long what I will do if I am not accepted in the graduate program I want to do (psychology) and I realized last week I would love to be a personal trainer. It is my second choice since I LOVE psychology but still, it made me feel better; It was more stressful when I didn’t have a second choice I’d be passionate about too.
Charlie recently posted..Main Dish Minestrone

106 Jen September 1, 2011 at 7:17 pm

I got NASM certified in January! My fiance is a personal trainer, and he inspired me to get certified. FYI, the test was super easy. Let me know if you want to talk about anything! Have fun studying…some parts are more interesting than others! :)

107 Courtney September 2, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Thanks, Jen!
Any time you ever have any tips/advice to share about it, I’m all ears :)

108 Julie September 1, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Good for you! I’m a senior in college about to graduate this May. While I am passionate about what I am studying now (PR and marketing) there are always lingering doubts like will I get a job, or once I do will I still like PR as much as I do now? It’s so refreshing to hear about someone switching career paths and and staying positive about the future even when it is uncertain. I love reading your blog and know you’ll make an awesome trainer!

109 Kelly September 1, 2011 at 7:30 pm

This is just what I needed to read about. I’m just about to start applications for education programs and started to completely freak out about whether that is what I want to do forever.
After calming down and eating more than my fair share of cookies I realized it is what I want to do *right now*.. and it is also very comforting to see people who shift their direction rather than doing a job that isn’t right just because it matches their educational background.
Does that make sense? Um, pretty much this post makes making a decision feel less final. Which is good. :) And this ended up really long. Oops!

110 Courtney September 2, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Totally makes sense!
Best of luck to you, Kelly!

111 EGrizz September 1, 2011 at 7:37 pm

I am new to your blog, but I absolutely loved your post! I graduated from High School 10 years ago and I have done everything from wanting to be a fashion merchandiser and working with Macy’s to wanting to work in the school system and working 3 years at an elementary school. Every time I thought I found my passion I realized that it was not it. That was until last year when I realized what I really wanted to do was be a holistic nutritionist. Of course my mind said I was getting too old, I couldn’t go back to school, and a million other excused, but you can’t let your thoughts hold you back when God has you destined to do something! I am so glad you spoke out about this and have the courage to take the leap of faith!

112 RunEatRepeat September 1, 2011 at 7:40 pm

So exciting!!! Congratulations :)
RunEatRepeat recently posted..September 2011 Goals

113 Jess@atasteofconfidence September 1, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Congratulations!
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..The Second City and Flat Farms: Trip Recap

114 Abby September 1, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Whoo hoo!! So glad you’ve found a new passion. This seems to be a trend with a lot of people lately! Just remember- life is a moving target. They may still more changes in the future- just stay open to them :-)

115 Amira @hungrydancers September 1, 2011 at 8:01 pm

YAY how exciting. I am actually studying for the NASM CPT test too! So good luck! Im hoping to take mine this month, as soon as I get my CPR cert next week!

Also fun fact, NASM is coming out with a nutrition specialist certification in like a month! I got an email about it last week! Here’s the info if you’re interested!
Amira @hungrydancers recently posted..New Theme: Selecta

116 Courtney September 2, 2011 at 5:02 pm

That is SO EXCITING!! Thank you for pointing that out to me. WOW! :-D

117 Allison (aMomKnowsBest) September 1, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Congratulations Courtney! I always say when God closes a door, he opens a window. It must feel so wonderful to be starting down the path of your second passion. BTW, you must be very loved and supported (nearly 100 comments on 1 post) Woo Hoo! : )
Hugs! (your fellow fitfluential ambassador)
Allison (aMomKnowsBest) recently posted..Lasagna in Less than 20 Minutes!

118 Kate September 1, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Congratulations! What exciting news!
I would love to hire you as my personal trainer! I look forward to reading & learning more about it!

119 Shana September 1, 2011 at 8:13 pm

That is so exciting! Everyone should be able to do what they are passionate about! I appreciate your honesty and ability to recognize when your dreams change and to go after what you really want. It’s incredibly inspiring!
Shana recently posted..SWAP!

120 Amy September 1, 2011 at 8:22 pm

how exciting!! im actually taking the NASM test too in 2 weeks! im not sure im ready…kinda scared haha. good luck to you!! :)
Amy recently posted..“Breaded” Baked Chicken

121 Courtney September 2, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Wow, good luck to you!! I’d love to hear what you thought of it once you’re finished! :)

122 Maria@La_Piattini September 1, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Courtney this is amazing! I really admire your courage and how you listened to yourself and your inner feelings, that’s really amazing. This is such an exciting time for you and I can’t wait to hear all about your training!
Maria@La_Piattini recently posted..7 Random Facts

123 katy {of} katy loves. September 1, 2011 at 8:47 pm

YAY! Congrats! So happy you found your path. :)
katy {of} katy loves. recently posted..September eve.

124 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health September 1, 2011 at 8:48 pm

OMG you are going to rock it! My bf is a personal trainer and he loves it! You will be fabulous at it :). Congrats!

125 Alysha @ShesOnTheRun September 1, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Good for you! I wish everyone could find their passion in life, because that’s really one of the main reasons we are here. Hopefully you’ll share some great personal training tips :)
Alysha @ShesOnTheRun recently posted..The Eat Local Challenge – Day 1

126 heather September 1, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Yay, so happy for you that you are going to be doing something that you love! Congrats!

127 Stephanie @ A Hungry Bookworm September 1, 2011 at 9:12 pm

I’m so excited for you Courtney! It is so important to do what you love, good luck.

128 Brittney @ Brittney Breathing September 1, 2011 at 9:14 pm

This is so great! I’ve been a reader for a little while and decided to stop being a lurker. That is awesome that you are doing what you love in life. Good luck with everything!
Brittney @ Brittney Breathing recently posted..August Goals: Revisited

129 Heather B September 1, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Congrats on making it official!! you’ll be great! Happy studying. Hope the stuff I sent is helpful! :)

130 Heather September 1, 2011 at 9:16 pm

I totally understand being unhappy in your career and figuring out just what you want to do with your life. Best of luck!

131 Char September 1, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Awesome news and congrats on doing what’s right for you!!! I honestly think that sometimes others don’t understand what is right in your heart (I’ve felt that way), but as long as you know, they will come around. I know this is not what you meant in your post, but I’m glad you were true to yourself. I still feel like I have a lot of ‘soul searching’ to do – and I’m so glad many other bloggers go through this. It makes everything easier to know others go through the same things :) Congrats again, and rock that studying!!!
Char recently posted..the enemy

132 Stephanie Bragg September 1, 2011 at 9:34 pm

SO excited for you to start doing something you love. I’m so glad you’ve found God’s plan through the tough times. Enjoy studying, you will be an AMAZING personal trainer!
Stephanie Bragg recently posted..Physical Therapy and Pesto

133 Brittany September 1, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Congratulations!! It’s so amazing that you aren’t afraid to go back to studying for something other than what you went to college for. So many people wouldn’t do it because they are afraid. That is amazing, you are going to do great!

134 Darcy September 1, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Dear Courtney,
Wow……it looks like you have a lot of reading to do here too!
I am so happy for you! I really enjoyed reading every single word of that blog. It was long, but it flew by because it was so interesting. What a great story! I am really, really happy for you that you found something that you love and will be so good at! I am truly happy for you and wish you the best of luck!

135 Courtney September 2, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Thanks, Darcy :)

136 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill September 1, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Congratulations!! I know exactly where you are coming from and it is so, so exciting to be doing something that you are passionate about. I wish you the best of luck–I know you will flourish!
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..Weight and Size Controversy

137 Katie September 1, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Congratulations!

Aren’t you SO proud of yourself when you make a big decision like that? I think it’s an awesome way for you to put passion back into your teaching!

138 Cait September 1, 2011 at 10:29 pm

omg girl thats awesome :) so proud of you! can i be your Guinea pig ;) you’re going to be amazing!

139 Liz @ Something To Chew Om September 1, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Congratulations! I think that’s an excellent choice :) I know you’ll rock it!
Liz @ Something To Chew Om recently posted..A Few Z’s

140 Cristin September 1, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Congratulations! You will be an amazing trainer! Good luck with your studies!

141 dani September 1, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Congrats! Glad you found something you liked! A break from school definitely helps when going back-you aren’t as burned out!

142 Katie @ Plates and Paste September 1, 2011 at 11:10 pm

That’s wonderful! Congrats on finding yourself and starting on the road to complete happiness :)
Katie @ Plates and Paste recently posted..Down to the Kor

143 Brittany September 1, 2011 at 11:10 pm

Yay! Congrats ma’am :) So happy for you! I’m a firm believer that EVERYTHING does happen for a reason!
Brittany recently posted..Life’s happening

144 Heather September 1, 2011 at 11:42 pm

Congratulations for being true to yourself and going after what you want!
Heather recently posted..My Thoughts on Taking Stock

145 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy Living Girl" September 2, 2011 at 12:33 am

Congrats to you Courtney!!!

You are going to make such an incredible personal trainer. Your energetic, yet calming and motivating demeanor is exactly what people look for in a personal trainer. I’m so glad that you’re working towards something you are passionate about.

I know exactly what you mean about that little bit of passion being missing. I feel that way with PR – still sortin’ through what’s right…TBD :-)

And about the wordy post, I didn’t think so at all! You know me, I’m always wordy. I loved reading each and every word about your big news. Congrats again and can’t wait to hear more!
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy Living Girl” recently posted..Healthified Cupcakes for my Intern

146 Kait @ One Love Run September 2, 2011 at 1:26 am

congrats courtney! how awesome! its great finding something you love and passionate about and going full force with it. enjoy it!
Kait @ One Love Run recently posted..Irene Knows How to Party

147 Nadya September 2, 2011 at 4:20 am

Congrats Courtney! So happy you are listening to your heart and passion for healthy living :)

148 Steph September 2, 2011 at 7:57 am

congrats Courtney! I wish you the best! I know you will succeed, because with passion, anything is possible!

149 Christina September 2, 2011 at 8:43 am

Congratulations! I wish you the best with your new journey and can’t wait to read more about it :)

I have to say though — I really thought you were going to be working on baking full time — your cupcakes always look amazing and it seems like something you really enjoy! Maybe that will be something you continue on the side?

150 Courtney September 2, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Thank you! I’ll definitely still do them on the side, but I realized that cupcakes are more like a fun hobby for me. When I feel too forced to do them, it’s just not as fun anymore :)

151 Laura@mypurposefullife September 2, 2011 at 8:44 am

Congrats, Courtney! I think this is a great step for you and certainly right up your alley. I want to commend you on being SO positive during your “interim” period, because I know that’s NOT always easy to do. I too believe that everything happens for a reason, and that we are given a life to have the chance to constantly recreate ourselves. It’s so exciting that you are in the process of that now. :) Congratulations again, and good luck studying!
Laura@mypurposefullife recently posted..Goodbye August, Goodbye Old Habits

152 Camille September 2, 2011 at 11:01 am

Hey Courtney- Congrats! I also graduated in Elementary Ed, but since moving to LA with my husband last year, I haven’ pursued it. LA’s districts all have horrible reputations. :( What training or school are you going through? I’ve considered becoming a personal trainer myself.

153 Courtney September 2, 2011 at 5:09 pm

I’m going through NASM :)

154 Ari @ Skinnified September 2, 2011 at 11:11 am

Congratulations!! My first big job right out of college was teaching in a school (a little different because my degree isn’t in education) and I thought I was supposed to be so happy, but ended up experiencing a lot of what you talked about, moved on to a WAY less stable career and have never been happier! I love hearing anyone talk about pursuing what they want rather than what’s easy or what they think is expected of them. You are going to be amazing! :O)
Ari @ Skinnified recently posted..Winnie’s first year!

155 Crystal Coppel September 2, 2011 at 11:24 am

Yay!!!! I’m so happy for you!!! I would totally hire you to be my personal trainer! I think it is fantastic that you made the decision to do something you love and something you want to do! That will make going to work even better for you. My brother did the same class you are doing and some others and became a personal trainer a few years ago and loves it! CONGRATS!!!!

156 Courtney September 2, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Haha, thanks Crystal! I’ll be your trainer! ;)

157 kristen September 2, 2011 at 12:41 pm

yea!!! so excited for you! what a great new adventure!

158 colleen @ thegiftofmondays September 2, 2011 at 12:56 pm

ok…i’m a couple of days behind so i’m totally LATE in congratulating you on finding your passion again!!! i’m so excited for you and think you will be an awesome personal trainer. and though i don’t live close enough for you to train me, i know i’ll learn alot just by reading your blog. (btw, LOVE the details in your note-taking pic…i’m all about the details!!!)

this is super exciting news!!!!
colleen @ thegiftofmondays recently posted..i miss my dad

159 kayleigh September 2, 2011 at 1:34 pm

I’m a couple days late, but I wanted to congratulate you anyways, that is so exciting! You will be an awesome personal trainer!!!

160 Amy Glockner September 2, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Congrats Courtney for finding your career path. What organization are you going to become certified with?

161 Courtney September 2, 2011 at 5:11 pm

NASM

162 Amy September 2, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Congrats Courtney you’ll love it and be a great trainer too. I’ve filled in for my hubby before and its fun. I’m actually planning on getting certified too. who are u going through for your certification?

163 Courtney September 2, 2011 at 5:14 pm

I’m going through NASM

164 Michelle (The Runner's Plate) September 2, 2011 at 4:25 pm

I am in a very similar boat right now. . . . I have lost all my passion for teaching but don’t know what else to do. :(
Michelle (The Runner’s Plate) recently posted..Highlights of My Summer

165 Courtney September 2, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Oooof…I’m sorry, Michelle. ;(
I was in the same place as you at one point though, if that gives you any sense of relief. You’ll figure it out!!

166 Claire September 2, 2011 at 8:40 pm

What an exciting step!!! I’ve been reading your blog for a while now (love it, btw) and this jumped out at me bc I felt like I had no direction after I graduated. A few people talked me into getting my certification, and I’ve been a trainer for two years now. It ended up being one of the best decisions I ever made. I’m sure you will do great!! Congrats!!

P.S. I took NASM too. Challenging, but highly recognized. Great choice!

167 Tara Burner September 2, 2011 at 9:37 pm

whohoooooo Congrats!
Sure you’ll make an outstanding trainer! :)
Tara Burner recently posted..Why Goals Can Hinder Your Progress

168 Mac September 2, 2011 at 10:57 pm

That’s so exciting to be working towards your passion! I just took my personal trainer cert exam today (CSCS)! I’m waiting to find out how I did yet though. Good luck studying!
Mac recently posted..Final Study Day!

169 Alex G September 4, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Long time reader, first time comment :) So awesome to see that you’re following your passion and doing what makes you happy!

170 Nicole September 6, 2011 at 11:10 am

Congrats on the beginning of something wonderful and new!

171 Kim @thefamilypractice September 8, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Congratulations! That is so exciting. That’s exactly what happened to me when I lost my job three years ago – I figured out what it was I really wanted to do. Like once I had lost what I had, the options of “what to do next” were endless and so I had a chance to really think about it…. So happy for you! I do hope you’ll be posting some awesome workouts you come up with!
Kim @thefamilypractice recently posted..A Mom Fail Moment

172 Cherie @ Cherie Runs This September 22, 2011 at 10:20 pm

I’m a little late to this reading party about your career change. :-) Just wanted to say congrats and that I am working to be certified with NASM, too {after a career change as well}!! Good luck on your test when you take it–I hope to take mine next month! :-)
Cherie @ Cherie Runs This recently posted..The Biggest Loser = Tuesdays are awesome again.

173 Mila @ loftyappetite September 23, 2011 at 10:19 am

Thanks for sharing this! I can relate so much to that feeling of something being not right, and Sunday blues being more like Sunday depression. I was in a job that I was really not comfrotable in, I couldn’t really explain it in words, its just didn’t feel right and I came home demoralized every night. When I’d talk to people about it, most people would say “it’s a job, no one likes going to work.” But I knew it was more than that. 2 weeks ago I went on a 10 day vacation to Europe and I came back with a new perspective that I needed a change, and fast. fast forward 1 week, and this week I was extremely fortunate to start a new position doing something completely different with the same company. I am so lucky to have been in the right place at the right time to have found an opportunity so fast! But it was also very hard leaving because everyone was shocked by it, and made it harder on me. Sometimes we just have to make the right decision for us!

174 dee October 4, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Congratulations on your new transition/decision! How exciting it must be for you! I love the feeling of actually wanting to study and immerse yourself in what you are learning. I’m going to school to become an elementary school teacher, and I hope this passion I have sticks around. With all of the budget cuts we’re experiencing, I’ve been told that I’m working toward a jobless degree! I’m sure it’ll look up soon. I loved the class pictures you shared and I’m excited for you to pursue your new passion!

175 Courtney October 4, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Thank you, Dee! Best of luck to you, too! :)

176 Kelly @Bella Vita March 8, 2012 at 6:45 pm

I’m new to your blog and I stumbled upon this post, and even though it’s old I just *had* to comment because I’ve been in that EXACT same situation with teaching and thought I was the only one! I just decided not to renew my contract, and I’m at that stage of trying to figure out what I *really* want to do. I’m so happy to hear you had the courage to make a big change, and do something you’re passionate about. So encouraging! :)
Kelly @Bella Vita recently posted..Reminiscing About Rome

177 sherice@foodieluvsfitness May 9, 2012 at 12:20 pm

I knew that I wanted to do something that had to do with health and fitness about 4 yrs ago but at that time I didn’t think I would be a good example as I was over weight and the only form of exercise I was doing was martial arts. I began this journey at that time and I’m so glad I will be getting my study material soon to become certified through NASM. I know how you were feeling. My education was a Cosmetology license w/an A.S.S. that I realized I hated doing once I got behind the chair! The ladies are catty and it’s like high school all over again. I want my life to mean something and I want to share my knowledge with others. It’s a ripple effect, you help someone and they help someone and so on!! Is it great to have passion!! I can’t wait to start learning more about something that I’m totally in LOVE with!

178 Nicole October 3, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Hi courtney! I’ve just come across your blog and I absolutely love it. I’m a health and fitness enthusiast myself and I aspire to have a job similar to yours. I look forward to reading more and finding more about your journey (: