An Ode to Buckwheat Bowls

I love my buckwheat bowls. It’s no secret. They’ve become not only a standard breakfast favorite of mine, but have easily taken over as my top choice over oatmeal.

(Pictured Above: Blueberry Muffin Buckwheat Bowl)

*****

This is a post that’s been a long time coming, but after being prompted yesterday by a reader (thanks, Pamela!) I’ve finally put together some information about my one of my favorite breakfast staples.

*****

Some Basics About Buckwheat

• What is it? – Buckwheat is not a cereal grain or a wheat product. It’s actually a “fruit seed,” or pseudograin, and it’s thus in the same family as quinoa, wild rice, and amaranth, and suitable for those on gluten or wheat free diets. It is a good source of linoleic (Omega-6) fatty acids, B vitamins, eight essential amino acids, folic acid, and magnesium.
  • Where do I buy it? – I buy mine from iHerb.com (and for first time buyers, use my coupon code, SAZ564 to receive $5.00 off your order)
  • How do I cook it? – I like cooking mine on the stovetop, rather than the microwave because it’s creamier, but it can be done both ways.
    • For the stovetop: Bring the basic buckwheat combo to a boil (see below). Once brought to a boil, reduce heat to low, stir in any mix-ins, cover, and allow to simmer about 5-7 minutes or until desired creaminess is developed. Top with desired toppings.
    • For the microwave: In a large bowl, combine the basic buckwheat combo. Cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes. Stir in any mix-ins, microwave an additional minute. Allow to stand for 1 minute then top with desired toppings.
  • How do I make it overnight? – Simply throw everything together (basic buckwheat + any mix ins and/or spices) stir to combine, and place it in the fridge overnight. That’s it! In the morning, take it out and top with your desired toppings.

Buckwheat Recipe Inspiration

If you’re just starting off with buckwheat, then make sure to start with the basics:

Basic Buckwheat Bowl

Then, you can add in whichever spices and/or mix-ins you like:

• Spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice
  • Mix-ins: fresh fruit (~1/3 cup), dried fruit (~1-2 tbsp), nut butter, 1 scoop protein powder of choice (make sure to use 1/2 cup water if adding protein), ~1-2 tbsp Greek yogurt

And finally, you add on whatever toppings you’d like:

• Dried fruit, maple syrup, nut butter, brown sugar, jam/jelly, cereal, granola, or crumbled baked goods

Of course, a basic buckwheat bowl is just that…basic. I typically like to jazz mine up a bit to make some different flavor combinations. Here are some of my favorites, in case you’re in need of a little inspiration:

PB&J Buckwheat Bowl

Banana Bread Buckwheat Bowl

Banana Chocolate Chip Cookie-Topped Buckwheat Bowl

Pumpkin Buckwheat Bowl

Sunflower Seed Butter Buckwheat Bowl

Buckwheat In A Jar (BIAJ)**

**BIAJ can be made either overnight (see below) or hot. If you cook a hot buckwheat combo, allow a minute or two for it to cool before adding it into your jar (depending on if it’s glass or plastic). You don’t want this to happen!

Overnight BIAJ (OBIAJ)

Basic Buckwheat Bowl topped with granola, dried fruit, and nut butter

Hopefully, I’ve answered any of your questions that you may have had about buckwheat. I know many of you are still all about the oatmeal, and I can’t blame you…it is tasty. But I just love me some buckwheat! I’m hoping to try out some new flavor combinations soon, too.

So maybe now’s the time to give it a try? Smile

Questions for the Evening:

Have you ever tried buckwheat?

What’s your favorite hot breakfast cereal?

*****

P.S. – Gotta give a quick birthday shout out to a very loyal reader…

Happy Birthday, Nicole!! Birthday cake

Comments

1. Pamela says

Thank you, Courtney!! :) I was excited to see this post. I’m hoping my order of buckwheat will get here this week so I can try some of these recipes before school starts up again. I’m especially excited for trying the pumpkin bowl. I love fall and everything pumpkin. Did you know Wawa now has pumpkin spice brewed coffee? Delicious!

i noticed you use PB2 instead of real peanut butter and was curious on how it tasted. i’ve wanted to try it but i’ve heard mixed reviews. do you like it better than regular nut butter or do you use it because it’s lower calories. just curious!

i have been wanting to try buckwheat for some time now. i think next trip to whole foods i’ll make the plunge and buy some!
    Debbie (accidently delish) recently posted..By: Mariel

• Courtney says

I love using it on buckwheat bowls but I don’t really like using it on a sandwich or in toast. I like how I can change the consistency of it for using as a topping, and since I like to use a lot, it doesn’t hurt that it’s lower in calories. But for when I’m really craving peanut butter, I use the real stuff :) (P.S. – they sell the PB2 at iHerb, too!)

• says

i knowwww i saw it and i was about to place an order for peanut flour and i was kind of considering getting one over the other. so if i get the peanut flour i may not get PB2 but I really want to try PB2 and i saw they had the chocolate as well!! so im trying to get peoples opinions and figure out which one i would use more.
        Debbie (accidently delish) recently posted..By: Debbie

• Courtney says

It’s similar, yes…I usually add different flavors to it (obviously, haha!) which it takes on. I actually find it to be a bit creamier than oatmeal, too

3. Torry says

Thank you so much for this post! I was just thinking this morning about what it was about these bowls that you loved so much and how I could make one for myself!!

THANK YOU!!!

4. Erin-- says

I was looking at the website and was wondering, do you get the Buckwheat Berries or the Buckwheat Grande Whole Grains? I saw both and wasn’t sure.

Thanks!

• Courtney says

I’ve actually never bought the buckwheat in the bulk bins, so I’m not sure what type it is…? Hmmm…maybe check out what it’s described as the next time you see it and compare it to the package ingredients (since you can see them on the site).
      Sorry I can’t be more helpful! :-/

I love buckwheat too, I have used it in buckwheat bakes from Ashley at edible perspective, but never in a buckwheat bowl. I actually am going to go and prep some for breaky tomorrow morning right now :)
    My favorite is hot cereal is Scottish oats, cooked with banana and egg whites.
    Lindsey recently posted..I Love Birthdays

Great post! I’ve never tried buckwheat, but I am definitely now interested in it more after reading this. I LOVE hot oatmeal with various toppings (PB, pumpkin, banana, jam, granola, etc.). The taste, the health benefits, and the satiety of oatmeal all are appealing to me.

7. Leila says

You would think after this post I would understand better – but I’m still confused on the overnight BIAJ. I’ve only made buckwheat on the stove top and absolutely love it. I never even thought to make it overnight.. but I guess I’m just confused on how you prepare it. Do you actually cook the buckwheat on the stove and then put it in the jar and refrigerate overnight? Or do you take the buckwheat straight from the box to the jar, add in the other stuff and then refrigerate overnight (which is what I do with overnight oats)? Sorry I’m so clueless!

• Courtney says

I don’t cook mine. I literally just toss everything into the jar and let it sit overnight. Usually, the soaking allows everything to soften up enough for me.
      I’m sure you could cook it beforehand to make it creamier, but it’s not necessary and probably just more with preference. :)

8. Nicole says

I tried your pumpkin buckwheat bowl today and I am in love… so creamy and delicious! Only problem is that it barely kept me full for 3 hours, so I need to add some extra protein I guess.
    Thanks for sharing! I might be replacing oatmeal in my breakfasts!

9. Anna says

Have you made overnight buckwheat bowls with buckwheat groats? Or do you stick to the cereal? I’m wondering if the groats would soften without heat.

10. Helen says

I have actually never tried a buckwheat bowl. I never really heard about it until I started to read your blog. I went to iherb and used the code you provided and bought some this morning! Can’t wait to try it out! Thanks for the suggestion 😉

• Courtney says

Nope! It definitely doesn’t require it – I just like the subtle sweetness and extra volume that it gives. But I’ve done it without and it’s totally fine!

11. Brandi R says

Do you know if I could make overnight BIAJ’s and reheat them in the morning? As a high school teacher, I have to be at work so early, but I’m always so jealous of your buckwheat bowls!

Or, have you ever tried making buckwheat on the stove and reheating it the next day?

12. Amy says

My dear courtney you have created a monster in me with buckwheat. I now eat it for breakfast, snacks, and even did a baked buckwheat bowl. I was on a baked oatmeal kick.
    Normally steelcut oats is my cereal of choice because I like the nutty texture and taste but I’m loving the creaminess of buckwheat. My fav add in is pumpkin of course with walnuts and flaxseeds.

I loved this post!! I have some buckwheat groats that I bought in bulk at whole foods and haven’t yet used them. Is the Bob’s Red Mill version just ground up buckwheat groats??? Just trying to figure out how to make them look like yours :)

• Courtney says

I’m actually not totally positive…and I don’t have a bag to look at right now! :(
      Maybe check out the bag on the Bob’s Red Mill site?

14. Pamela says

I finally tried buckwheat this morning! My Bob’s Red Mill order came yesterday afternoon, and I was so excited for breakfast! While I was getting the ingredients together for the basic bowl, I realized that I was out of Libby’s Pumpkin. It was still good with using cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and brown sugar, but I will definitely try the pumpkin bowl this weekend. Also, I agree with your most recent post- I get hooked on foods, coffees, etc., too! I plan on swinging by DD for pumpkin coffee after a trip to the mall. :)

I’ve tried the creamy buckwheat cereal before and found the texture AWFUL. I think I’ll try your recipe and see if the texture is any better than when I first had it.

Trackbacks