An Ode to Buckwheat Bowls

by Courtney on September 13, 2011

I love my buckwheat bowls. It’s no secret. They’ve become not only a standard breakfast favorite of mine, but have easily taken over as my top choice over oatmeal.

(Pictured Above: Blueberry Muffin Buckwheat Bowl)

*****

This is a post that’s been a long time coming, but after being prompted yesterday by a reader (thanks, Pamela!) I’ve finally put together some information about my one of my favorite breakfast staples.

*****

Some Basics About Buckwheat

• What is it? – Buckwheat is not a cereal grain or a wheat product. It’s actually a “fruit seed,” or pseudograin, and it’s thus in the same family as quinoa, wild rice, and amaranth, and suitable for those on gluten or wheat free diets. It is a good source of linoleic (Omega-6) fatty acids, B vitamins, eight essential amino acids, folic acid, and magnesium.
  • Where do I buy it? – I buy mine from iHerb.com (and for first time buyers, use my coupon code, SAZ564 to receive $5.00 off your order)
  • How do I cook it? – I like cooking mine on the stovetop, rather than the microwave because it’s creamier, but it can be done both ways.
    • For the stovetop: Bring the basic buckwheat combo to a boil (see below). Once brought to a boil, reduce heat to low, stir in any mix-ins, cover, and allow to simmer about 5-7 minutes or until desired creaminess is developed. Top with desired toppings.
    • For the microwave: In a large bowl, combine the basic buckwheat combo. Cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes. Stir in any mix-ins, microwave an additional minute. Allow to stand for 1 minute then top with desired toppings.
  • How do I make it overnight? – Simply throw everything together (basic buckwheat + any mix ins and/or spices) stir to combine, and place it in the fridge overnight. That’s it! In the morning, take it out and top with your desired toppings.

Buckwheat Recipe Inspiration

If you’re just starting off with buckwheat, then make sure to start with the basics:

Basic Buckwheat Bowl

Then, you can add in whichever spices and/or mix-ins you like:

• Spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice
  • Mix-ins: fresh fruit (~1/3 cup), dried fruit (~1-2 tbsp), nut butter, 1 scoop protein powder of choice (make sure to use 1/2 cup water if adding protein), ~1-2 tbsp Greek yogurt

And finally, you add on whatever toppings you’d like:

• Dried fruit, maple syrup, nut butter, brown sugar, jam/jelly, cereal, granola, or crumbled baked goods

Of course, a basic buckwheat bowl is just that…basic. I typically like to jazz mine up a bit to make some different flavor combinations. Here are some of my favorites, in case you’re in need of a little inspiration:

PB&J Buckwheat Bowl

Banana Bread Buckwheat Bowl

Banana Chocolate Chip Cookie-Topped Buckwheat Bowl

Pumpkin Buckwheat Bowl

Sunflower Seed Butter Buckwheat Bowl

Buckwheat In A Jar (BIAJ)**

**BIAJ can be made either overnight (see below) or hot. If you cook a hot buckwheat combo, allow a minute or two for it to cool before adding it into your jar (depending on if it’s glass or plastic). You don’t want this to happen!

Overnight BIAJ (OBIAJ)

Basic Buckwheat Bowl topped with granola, dried fruit, and nut butter

Hopefully, I’ve answered any of your questions that you may have had about buckwheat. I know many of you are still all about the oatmeal, and I can’t blame you…it is tasty. But I just love me some buckwheat! I’m hoping to try out some new flavor combinations soon, too.

So maybe now’s the time to give it a try? Smile

Questions for the Evening:

Have you ever tried buckwheat?

What’s your favorite hot breakfast cereal?

*****

P.S. – Gotta give a quick birthday shout out to a very loyal reader…

Happy Birthday, Nicole!! Birthday cake

1 Sweet and Savvy September 13, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Buckwheat bowls sound awesome! I have actually never tried buckwheat.. I’d love to though!
Sweet and Savvy recently posted..I Love Blogging

2 Shayla @ The Good Life September 13, 2011 at 7:25 pm

I have never tried Buckwheat but your bowls have always got me craving to try ‘em…perhaps I should with your coupon code ;)
Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..A Week Of Rest, Enjoy The Ride, & An Epic Smoothie

3 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance September 13, 2011 at 7:30 pm

I definitely have tried buckwheat– when I found out I was allergic to wheat I tried out all kinds of random grains. It’s pretty baller, but my favorite hot cereal would have to be steel cut oats :D
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Croc Brocc

4 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health September 13, 2011 at 7:39 pm

I haven’t tried buckwheat but now you’re making me want to! I’m kind of in love with oatmeal though, so I’m not sure I could change haha.
Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Is It Real Hunger?

5 Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer September 13, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Now I really gotta try it. A store near me sells alot of the Bobs products, so I’ll have to check it out. Thanks for all the tips.
Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer recently posted..Damn You Denny’s

6 Liz @ Tip Top Shape September 13, 2011 at 8:21 pm

I must try buckwheat now! I bet I could find it in the WF bulk bins…
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Gorgonzola and Cherry Tomato Pizzettes

7 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles September 13, 2011 at 8:27 pm

I’ve never had it but the more I’m seeing it around the more I hear it calling my name! :) ….Especially when you top it with the things you do!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Dip

8 Pamela September 13, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Thank you, Courtney!! :) I was excited to see this post. I’m hoping my order of buckwheat will get here this week so I can try some of these recipes before school starts up again. I’m especially excited for trying the pumpkin bowl. I love fall and everything pumpkin. Did you know Wawa now has pumpkin spice brewed coffee? Delicious!

9 jen September 13, 2011 at 8:40 pm

the only time i’ve had buckwheat is in pancakes and the amazing, so fluffy and light! i’m dying to try a buckwheat bowl, though!
jen recently posted..The Highlights of Boulder

10 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 13, 2011 at 8:41 pm

I’ve never tried buckwheat, but your recipes make me want to try it! I’ll have to pick some up this weekend.
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..All Natural

11 Nicole September 13, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Oh my gosh…..thank you SO much for the birthday shout out, it certainly made my day!!!! :)

12 Raquel September 13, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Happy bday Nicole!!

13 Paige @ Running Around Normal September 13, 2011 at 8:59 pm

You know, I’ve had a box of buckwheat cereal in my pantry for a couple months now! Thanks for the idea:)
I love oatmeal – just cooked with a banana and some Greek yogurt or PB on top. I don’t go too crazy with the toppings.
Paige @ Running Around Normal recently posted..Why I Hate Green Beans

14 Mallory @ It's Only Life September 13, 2011 at 9:02 pm

I don’t think I’ve tried buckwheat! I’ve tried quinoa, steel cut oats, bulgar wheat, and wheat berries… but not buckwheat! Gotta add it to my list of “must try”…!
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..My Job

15 Kate Gifford September 13, 2011 at 9:06 pm

I am so excited to try this, they always look so good when you post them. Thank you for posting!!

16 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey September 13, 2011 at 9:25 pm

I don’t know why I’ve never done buckwheat since I can actually eat it! I’ll have to pick up some from WF the next time I’m there.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..balsamic glazed butternut squash fries

17 Debbie (accidently delish) September 13, 2011 at 9:58 pm

i noticed you use PB2 instead of real peanut butter and was curious on how it tasted. i’ve wanted to try it but i’ve heard mixed reviews. do you like it better than regular nut butter or do you use it because it’s lower calories. just curious!

i have been wanting to try buckwheat for some time now. i think next trip to whole foods i’ll make the plunge and buy some!
Debbie (accidently delish) recently posted..By: Mariel

18 Courtney September 13, 2011 at 10:14 pm

I love using it on buckwheat bowls but I don’t really like using it on a sandwich or in toast. I like how I can change the consistency of it for using as a topping, and since I like to use a lot, it doesn’t hurt that it’s lower in calories. But for when I’m really craving peanut butter, I use the real stuff :) (P.S. – they sell the PB2 at iHerb, too!)

19 Debbie (accidently delish) September 13, 2011 at 10:21 pm

i knowwww i saw it and i was about to place an order for peanut flour and i was kind of considering getting one over the other. so if i get the peanut flour i may not get PB2 but I really want to try PB2 and i saw they had the chocolate as well!! so im trying to get peoples opinions and figure out which one i would use more.
Debbie (accidently delish) recently posted..By: Debbie

20 Jodi September 13, 2011 at 9:58 pm

I might have to try this since it’s gluten free. I am trying to stay away from gluten for awhile.

Does it taste like oatmeal?

21 Courtney September 13, 2011 at 10:17 pm

It’s similar, yes…I usually add different flavors to it (obviously, haha!) which it takes on. I actually find it to be a bit creamier than oatmeal, too

22 Jessamy @ The Rambling Asian September 13, 2011 at 10:03 pm

I was so debating sending you an email and asking you about this!!! Yipee for this post :)
Jessamy @ The Rambling Asian recently posted..So exhausted

23 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 13, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I’ve made a ton of Ashley’s @edibleperspective buckwheat bakes and love them. I’ve never tried it cooked like oats though. That might be next :)
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Crispy shallot brussel sprouts & giveaway winner!

24 Torry September 13, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Thank you so much for this post! I was just thinking this morning about what it was about these bowls that you loved so much and how I could make one for myself!!

THANK YOU!!!

25 Erin-- September 13, 2011 at 10:24 pm

I was looking at the website and was wondering, do you get the Buckwheat Berries or the Buckwheat Grande Whole Grains? I saw both and wasn’t sure.

Thanks!

26 Courtney September 13, 2011 at 10:32 pm

I get the Bob’s Red Mill Creamy Buckwheat Cereal, which is shown above in the Basic Buckwheat Bowl recipe. :) Here’s the link:

27 Lindsay @ biking before bed September 13, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Is there a difference between the buckwheat you can buy in the grocery store bulk bins and the buckwheat cereal you use? I’m a creature of habit and normally reach for oats. But seeing all your yummy combos in one post makes me want to shake things up.
Lindsay @ biking before bed recently posted..Help… I overdosed on pumpkin!

28 Courtney September 13, 2011 at 10:40 pm

I’ve actually never bought the buckwheat in the bulk bins, so I’m not sure what type it is…? Hmmm…maybe check out what it’s described as the next time you see it and compare it to the package ingredients (since you can see them on the site).
Sorry I can’t be more helpful! :-/

29 christina cadden September 13, 2011 at 10:40 pm

I am going to have to try it!!
christina cadden recently posted..First Week Back

30 Lindsey September 13, 2011 at 11:01 pm

I love buckwheat too, I have used it in buckwheat bakes from Ashley at edible perspective, but never in a buckwheat bowl. I actually am going to go and prep some for breaky tomorrow morning right now :)
My favorite is hot cereal is Scottish oats, cooked with banana and egg whites.
Lindsey recently posted..I Love Birthdays

31 Alaina Johnson September 13, 2011 at 11:02 pm

i am a buckwheat virgin but definitely on the prowl to change that after reading this ode! love the obsession with it!
Alaina Johnson recently posted..Study Mode Steps

32 Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 13, 2011 at 11:10 pm

I’ve only ever had buckwheat in flour form and use it all the time in protein bakes!
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..Pain, pain, go away.

33 Katie @ Plates and Paste September 13, 2011 at 11:24 pm

I’ve never tried buckwheat! Can’t wait to try some of your combos though, great post!
Katie @ Plates and Paste recently posted..German Food, Cigars and Boat Rides

34 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries September 14, 2011 at 12:39 am

Great post! I’ve never tried buckwheat, but I am definitely now interested in it more after reading this. I LOVE hot oatmeal with various toppings (PB, pumpkin, banana, jam, granola, etc.). The taste, the health benefits, and the satiety of oatmeal all are appealing to me.

35 Khushboo September 14, 2011 at 1:52 am

I want to eat my screen, that’s all :)!–> never tried buckwheat but I am super tempted from all your pics!
Khushboo recently posted..Rain, you are dead to me!

36 Chad @ thebreakupnote September 14, 2011 at 8:03 am

I have a big bag of kasha in my pantry and now I know what to do with it.

37 Hope September 14, 2011 at 8:38 am

I’ve never tried buckwheat before but I’ve always been curious about it since seeing it on your blog. It looks good! I’m going to have to try it :)
Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: Bridesmaid Dresses…

38 Leila September 14, 2011 at 10:07 am

You would think after this post I would understand better – but I’m still confused on the overnight BIAJ. I’ve only made buckwheat on the stove top and absolutely love it. I never even thought to make it overnight.. but I guess I’m just confused on how you prepare it. Do you actually cook the buckwheat on the stove and then put it in the jar and refrigerate overnight? Or do you take the buckwheat straight from the box to the jar, add in the other stuff and then refrigerate overnight (which is what I do with overnight oats)? Sorry I’m so clueless!

39 Courtney September 14, 2011 at 10:57 am

I don’t cook mine. I literally just toss everything into the jar and let it sit overnight. Usually, the soaking allows everything to soften up enough for me.
I’m sure you could cook it beforehand to make it creamier, but it’s not necessary and probably just more with preference. :)

40 Nicole September 14, 2011 at 10:30 am

I tried your pumpkin buckwheat bowl today and I am in love… so creamy and delicious! Only problem is that it barely kept me full for 3 hours, so I need to add some extra protein I guess.
Thanks for sharing! I might be replacing oatmeal in my breakfasts!

41 Anna September 14, 2011 at 10:38 am

Have you made overnight buckwheat bowls with buckwheat groats? Or do you stick to the cereal? I’m wondering if the groats would soften without heat.

42 Courtney September 14, 2011 at 10:58 am

I’ve only tried it with the cereal, but I’d be interested to see how it turns out with the groats. If you try it, let me know!

43 Anna September 14, 2011 at 11:04 am

Actually, I just found a blog describing overnight buckwheat groats as “the ultimate fail.” So I think I’ll stick with the cereal. =)

44 Courtney September 14, 2011 at 11:06 am

Oh boy, good to know! ;)

45 Helen September 14, 2011 at 10:49 am

I have actually never tried a buckwheat bowl. I never really heard about it until I started to read your blog. I went to iherb and used the code you provided and bought some this morning! Can’t wait to try it out! Thanks for the suggestion ;)

46 Courtney September 14, 2011 at 10:59 am

Awesome!! :-D

47 Vanessa N September 14, 2011 at 11:20 am

Mmmm I love buckwheat. Oatmeal’s about half the price so I usually go with that – but if I’m feeling like treating myself – buckwheat it is!
Vanessa N recently posted..The Vacation is Over

48 Carissa September 14, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Does the buckwheat bowl require the mashed banana???
Carissa recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday v12.0 – Tailgating

49 Courtney September 14, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Nope! It definitely doesn’t require it – I just like the subtle sweetness and extra volume that it gives. But I’ve done it without and it’s totally fine!

50 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats September 14, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Your buckwheat bowls all look so delicious! My favorite hot cereal is definitely oatmeal but I might have to try these out sometime.
Abby @ Abz ‘n’ Oats recently posted..WIAW #7

51 Brandi R September 14, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Do you know if I could make overnight BIAJ’s and reheat them in the morning? As a high school teacher, I have to be at work so early, but I’m always so jealous of your buckwheat bowls!

Or, have you ever tried making buckwheat on the stove and reheating it the next day?

52 Courtney September 14, 2011 at 2:31 pm

I have made it and reheated it the next day and it was just as good!

53 Amy September 14, 2011 at 4:41 pm

My dear courtney you have created a monster in me with buckwheat. I now eat it for breakfast, snacks, and even did a baked buckwheat bowl. I was on a baked oatmeal kick.
Normally steelcut oats is my cereal of choice because I like the nutty texture and taste but I’m loving the creaminess of buckwheat. My fav add in is pumpkin of course with walnuts and flaxseeds.

54 Courtney September 14, 2011 at 4:43 pm

YAY!! That’s so awesome :-D

55 Emily September 15, 2011 at 8:37 pm

I loved this post!! I have some buckwheat groats that I bought in bulk at whole foods and haven’t yet used them. Is the Bob’s Red Mill version just ground up buckwheat groats??? Just trying to figure out how to make them look like yours :)

56 Courtney September 15, 2011 at 11:20 pm

I’m actually not totally positive…and I don’t have a bag to look at right now! :(
Maybe check out the bag on the Bob’s Red Mill site?

57 Pamela September 16, 2011 at 11:31 am

I finally tried buckwheat this morning! My Bob’s Red Mill order came yesterday afternoon, and I was so excited for breakfast! While I was getting the ingredients together for the basic bowl, I realized that I was out of Libby’s Pumpkin. It was still good with using cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and brown sugar, but I will definitely try the pumpkin bowl this weekend. Also, I agree with your most recent post- I get hooked on foods, coffees, etc., too! I plan on swinging by DD for pumpkin coffee after a trip to the mall. :)

58 Courtney September 16, 2011 at 11:41 am

YAY! I’m so glad you liked it :-D

59 Sadie July 3, 2012 at 2:10 pm

I’ve tried the creamy buckwheat cereal before and found the texture AWFUL. I think I’ll try your recipe and see if the texture is any better than when I first had it.