Grill Master + Mind Reader

by Courtney on September 15, 2011

I’m seriously pondering the idea of whether or not Jay is an actual mind reader. Or maybe we just have some weird, married couple’s ESP thing going on. Either way, here’s why.

This afternoon, after posting the Pumpkin Black Bean Soup recipe, a few of you mentioned the idea of pumpkin beer.

comment2

I saw this first comment from Krissie, and I thought, “Okay, pumpkin beer sounds pretty good right about now.”

Then, I saw the comment from Kim that only furthered my quickly developing desire for pumpkin beer.

comment1

That was it. Now I couldn’t wait for pumpkin beer…and I wanted one in a bad way.

Then this evening rolls around and Jay comes home from work. But Jay does not come home from work empty handed.

Jay comes home with this…

And as if he wasn’t already the man of my dreams, he has now officially reached that status. Seriously.

When I first saw the Blue Point Brewing Company label, I actually thought he was toting my favorite blueberry beer, which would have been fantastic. But oh no. He had gone and picked up some of their Pumpkin Ale.

I am a happy, happy girl. Smile

*****

Shortly after he got home, we got to work on dinner which we kept super duper simple tonight. This morning, I took some out some chicken from the freezer that we had previously marinated and frozen. Then, while the grill master worked his magic out on the grill, I took care of the rest.

I cooked up a small can (yes, a can) of diced carrots and steamed them in the mirco with some Garlic Gold. I also cooked a couple servings of instant brown rice (yep, I told you tonight was simple!) which I topped with some leftover homemade pico de gallo.

My sides were okay, for being what they were, but Jay’s chicken turned out fantastic. I’m telling you, he works wonders on that grill.

He’s a grill master AND a mind reader?!? Holy cow, I’m one lucky gal. Winking smile

Simple and satisfying. Just further proof that healthy and delicious doesn’t have to be difficult.

Whether or not the beer is “healthy?” Welllll…I don’t really care. Winking smile

*****

Get your fist pumps in the air, ladies and gents…

It’s Jersey Shore night! High five (<—close enough to a fist pump?)

(hopefully I stay awake long enough to watch…)

Questions for the Evening:

What time do you usually head to bed on weeknights?

What time do you typically wake up on weekdays?

1 Ally September 15, 2011 at 7:50 pm

I’m usually in bed sometime between 9:30-10 and asleep somewhere between 10:30-11. If I have a morning workout planned I wake up at 5:30 or 5:45 and if I’m “sleeping in”, 6:45 for work.
I swear I’m a grandma and have a really hard time staying up past 10!
Ally recently posted..Half day

2 Shayla @ The Good Life September 15, 2011 at 7:51 pm

I can attest to the married couple’s ESP – we have it all the time!

We are such grannies during the work week…we usually go to bed around 8:30-9pm and wake up at 4:30-5am…definite crazy shenanigans in our household ;)
Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..Inspiration, Everywhere…

3 jen September 15, 2011 at 7:52 pm

blue point has pumpkin ale?? ahhhh! is it as good as the blueberry???
jen recently posted..Cycling for a Good Cause

4 Courtney September 15, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Yes!! Maybe even better!
It reminded me a lot of Sam Adams Octoberfest :)

5 Sri D September 15, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Pumpkin beer…yum! I had Blue Moon’s Harvest Pumpkin Ale over the weekend, good stuff. :)

6 Sweet and Savvy September 15, 2011 at 8:06 pm

What a great evening With your hubby! I’m impressed by his mind reading skills!

7 Kelly @ not so rocky road September 15, 2011 at 8:16 pm

That dinner looks amazing! I go to bed anywhere between 10 & 11 on weeknights and about the same on weekends, maybe a little later depending on whats happening. Lately I’ve been sticking to my guns and getting up weekday mornings between 5:30 & 6:30 which has been so awesome!
Kelly @ not so rocky road recently posted..It’s That Time Again

8 Dilek&Alba September 15, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Your pumpkin beer story is super cute! :-) Let’s hope the rest of us single ladies get married to a guy that does things like that…Amen :D And by the way, I usually don’t like chicken, but that chicken really did make my mouth water, lol.
Dilek&Alba recently posted..To coconut or to not coconut?

9 Erica September 15, 2011 at 8:32 pm

i TRY to be in bed by 10pm/11pm but lately it’s been about 12am/1am

i SHOULD wake up around 6…but i tend to snooze button-it til 7am
Erica recently posted..planner talk (part 2):let’s get to life planning

10 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey September 15, 2011 at 8:33 pm

I’m usually asleep on school nights by 10 PM – at the latest, 10:30!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..freaky fast dinners

11 Lauren September 15, 2011 at 8:38 pm

My hubby is the grill master too! This year, he claimed he has mastered the perfect grilled asparagus. Love having a man that grills because its one less thing I have to do. ;)
Lauren recently posted..All Over The Place

12 Mandee September 15, 2011 at 8:46 pm

I haven’t had a beer in like 6 years (I just lost the taste for it after college) but your blueberry beer made me really want one! And now I am dying to try this one!
Mandee recently posted..Blossoms of (peanut) Butter

13 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine September 15, 2011 at 8:47 pm

I loveeeee pumpkin and ale! I also have issues staying awake when watching tv!

14 Brittany September 15, 2011 at 8:50 pm

I am intrigued by the pumpkin beer! I may need to try it!.. well when I’m 21 of course? I have the same ESP thing with my mom. We read each other’s minds all the time.
Brittany recently posted..Busy Day

15 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 15, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Did he cheat and read the blog? ;)
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..New rules of lifting for women: stage 2 update

16 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health September 15, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Ok, I’ve actually never had pumpkin beer…I need to change that! It sounds really good :). I usually stay up til about 11 and get up at 8ish. But I’m sure that when I’m done with school and have a job my bedtime and wake-up time will be much earlier!

17 Mallory @ It's Only Life September 15, 2011 at 9:20 pm

That is so awesome he brought it home! What a sweetie pie!

I generally go to bed between 11:30 – 12:30 on weeknights (I’ve always been a hugeee night owl), and I don’t have to be at work until 9, so I could get up as late as 8 if I want. I live about 2 minutes driving distance from work so it gives me the choice to sleep in or workout in the morning– I am just an afternoon exerciser, so I have been going after work and choosing to sleep in lately.
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Sweet or Savory?

18 Mallory @ It's Only Life September 15, 2011 at 9:20 pm

That sounded weird.. ** I am MORE of an afternoon exerciser, just have more energy then!
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Sweet or Savory?

19 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 15, 2011 at 9:30 pm

I’m not a big beer drinker, but the pumpkin ale looks interesting! I’d definitely give it a try! :-)

I try to get to sleep around 10/10:30 & I’m up at 5:00… oh, the school year… how long ’till June?!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Experiments with “Boatmeal”

20 Lexie @ This Aussie Eats September 15, 2011 at 9:41 pm

I would love to be in bed by 10pm every night and wake up around 5.30-6am. Sadly, it doesn’t happen as often as I’d like but the nights I do get to bed early I certainly get up and get my workout over with for the day. My bf sometimes calls my a granny for wanting to go to bed so early..glad to read that many other gals head to bed around the same time!!

21 Melissa @ Will Work for Veggies September 15, 2011 at 9:43 pm

I’m so excited pumpkin beer is back on the shelf!! I actually haven’t tried it, but tons of people (like you!) rave about it, so I think I’ll have to go out and get some. :) I typically go to bed suuuuuper early, but since tonight is Jersey Shore night, I think I’ll stay up… to at least 9 :) GTL, baby!! :)
Melissa @ Will Work for Veggies recently posted..Busy and semi-productive day

22 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles September 15, 2011 at 9:43 pm

BLUE POINT!!! Love it! ….I used to live a few blocks from Blue Point Brewery!!!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Playground knowledge….

23 Katie @ Plates and Paste September 15, 2011 at 9:49 pm

I normally go to bed between 11 and 12 and have to get up at 7 to get ready for work.
Katie @ Plates and Paste recently posted..Comment on Bummer Town by Kristin

24 Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife September 15, 2011 at 9:54 pm

I gotta try your pumpkin black bean soup–that sounds AMAZING!

I go to bed around 10:30 and wake up around 7:30—yep I LOVE sleep :)
Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..What Are Calories ? + Thankful Thursday

25 Kath September 15, 2011 at 9:54 pm

I haven’t seen that one before!!
Kath recently posted..Toto, It’s Not Summer Anymore

26 e@thisnotedlife September 15, 2011 at 9:59 pm

my husband and i have weird married mind reading when it comes to unplanned clothes matching… hehe… we end up in the same color tops/bottoms quite regularly :)
e@thisnotedlife recently posted..a goal reached

27 Nicole September 15, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Blue Point brewery is located close to my house on Long Island… they have some great beer! The tasting room is always fun :)

28 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats September 15, 2011 at 10:30 pm

What a sweetheart for surprising you with beer! :) The little things are the best! My schedule really varies for waking up/getting to bed. If I have class I get up at 5:30, if I have clinical I get up at 4:20, if I have nothing on the agenda but studying I shoot for 7. I like being in bed by 11 at the latest on weeknights.
Abby @ Abz ‘n’ Oats recently posted..A New Practice

29 Jodi September 15, 2011 at 10:51 pm

That’s so sweet! I think you do have married-people ESP. Maybe my fiance’s will kick in when we get married?

The chicken looks fantastic! I have Jersey Shore DVR’d, and I’m turning it on now…
Jodi recently posted..Running Milestone

30 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries September 15, 2011 at 10:52 pm

My husband and I have become amazing at reading each other’s minds…it’s crazy sometimes how much we think alike! I suppose that’s a good thing?!

I usually go to bed around 10:30-10:45 and wake up at 6:30-6:45 during the week. I have a feeling tonight I’m going to hit the hay a little earlier though…I’m wiped!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Blog Milestones

31 Kim @thefamilypractice September 15, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Courtney, ever since I posted that comment I have been craving pumpkin beer. I actually made a pit stop at the liquor store on the way home (you can only buy beer at the liquor store in Utah) but the selection was super slim :( I hope you enjoyed yours!
Kim @thefamilypractice recently posted..Rainbow Bell Pepper Alfredo

32 Socal Rachel September 15, 2011 at 11:11 pm

I’ve given up on drinking beer, I just don’t like it. I go to bed around 10:30 – 11:30 and have the alarm set at 6:30.
Socal Rachel recently posted..Seville to Granada – 3 men, 1 girl and the sun

33 Khushboo September 16, 2011 at 1:12 am

Wait- pumpkin beer DOESN’T count towards your 5 – a day…man! I haven’t been loving chicken lately but your dinner has really spurred on a craving for me! Weeknights I”m usually in bed by 11 and aim to be asleep before 12…..in the morning, I’m up by 7.45…love my new work times (10.30 – 6.30)
Khushboo recently posted..BPB: This is the remix

34 Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie September 16, 2011 at 1:12 am

I can’t wait to buy pumpkin beer! I turn 21 this Monday!! :D
Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie recently posted..Book Buying and Big Savings

35 Katy September 16, 2011 at 7:18 am

To be up for 5:30 I am in bed by 9-9:30. Which is usually after falling asleep on the couch at about 8. Can you say old lady?
Which means MY Jersey Shore night isn’t until Friday night on my DVR. Can’t wait!!
Katy recently posted..The Marathon to Financial Peace

36 Molly September 16, 2011 at 8:12 am

I love to be in bed pretty early on weekdays. Definitely no later than midnight (and i’m a college student! everyone thinks I’m a grandma!) And I wake up around 5:50 every morning. (7 on weekends!)
Molly recently posted..My Carrie Bradshaw Moment

37 Krissie J September 16, 2011 at 8:33 am

Aw, he’s such a good egg. :) I couldn’t stop thinking about pumpkin after I posted that! I ended up getting the Edy’s Pumpkin ice cream flavor at the store and had it for dessert. SO good.
Krissie J recently posted..Flash Sales and the Pumpkin Parade

38 Hope September 16, 2011 at 8:39 am

I love pumpkin beer! So sweet of your hubby to pick some up. :)

I try to go to sleep somewhere around 9:45-10pm on weeknights. I get up at 5am during the week. It’s rough!
Hope recently posted..A New Discovery…

39 Becky @ Fit Chick on the Fly September 16, 2011 at 9:00 am

Sounds & looks like my man needs to take some grilling lessons from Jay! ~ (guest post from Jay on grilling? oooooh do it!)
Becky @ Fit Chick on the Fly recently posted..Chicago Dogs & Tuesday’s Circuit Workout

40 Courtney September 16, 2011 at 9:07 am

Oh my gosh! I LOVE that idea!!!!
I’m going to have to discuss this with the man… ;)

41 Yolie @ Practising Wellness September 16, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Aw, so cool of Jay! I’ve had blueberry beer in Brugges, Belgium (like the Beer capital of Europe) and it was awesome! So sweet and tasty :-) Pumpkin beer sounds sweet!
I wake up at 7am on weekdays, and usually head to be between 10-11am…but I’m totally not averse to working out super early and waking up at 5.30am…although right now I don’t have to with my schedule…but I find you so inspiring with your super-early starts! :-) I never understand people who can stay up really late, I’m like a total granny too – I get so tired after like 11pm, lol! And such an early bird – mornings are the BEST! xyx
Yolie @ Practising Wellness recently posted..short strength session & sooo many squats!