Tailgating at the Jets Game

by Courtney on September 18, 2011

Going to see a live football game is always such a great time!

And it’s even better when they WIN, too. That’s 2-0 for my Jets, baby!! Smile

I’ve been lucky enough to be able to go to quite a few Jets games in my lifetime, thanks to my dad now being a season ticket holder, and a diehard Jets fan for as long as I can remember.

This morning, Jay and I met my parents nice and early to hit the road to travel down and get set up to tailgate before the game. You guys know how I feel about tailgating and all…it’s the best part! Luckily, we got in no problems, got ourselves a spot, and got set up right away.

^^That picture there is how far away we were from the stadium. It was fantastic.

***

Since the game started at 1pm and we got there early, we planned on our first tailgating adventure for the day to be breakfast. Because I mean, hey, why not?

My dad packed up his trusty tailgating grill along with lots of the breakfast tailgating essentials: homefries, sausage, bacon, eggs, and bagels. All to make none other than…

Bacon, egg, and cheese bagel sandwiches, of course!

I opted for bacon over sausage on my bagel sandwich, along with some homefries. It was quite tasty.

Shortly after we finished up breakfast, we packed up the car to head in to our seats.

You know, for as many games as I’ve gone to, the amount of people still amazes me. Can anyone spot a familiar face creepin’ in the picture below?? Winking smile

Finally, we made it!

Thankfully, the sun started to shine shortly after we arrived at our seats and the temperature felt like it had to of jumped 20 degrees. All of us were pretty chilly while we were sitting and tailgating in the parking lot; but it got super warm while we were sitting in our seats.

But really, I’m not complaining; it was probably the warmest day that I’ll get to experience for quite a few months now…fall is right around the corner, and it’s coming quick!

Before we knew it, the game was getting started.

And then the Flight Crew came out (aka, the cheerleading squad) which, of course, both Jay and my dad had to pay extra close attention to.

They’re a couple of hams, I’ll tell ya. Winking smile

Once the game was over, and the Jets had their victory (WOOT WOOT!) we headed back down to the parking lot for tailgating, round 2.

Oh that’s right. We don’t mess around!

This time, it was a mix of burgers, hot dogs, and chicken sausage on the grill, along with some of my pasta salad. Mom also made some of her homemade Chex Mix after getting a special request from her favorite daughter.

This stuff is addicting. Like, REALLY addicting. I ate a lot of it.

I snagged a chicken sausage from the grill along with some pasta salad, too.

And then, of course, there was dessert. Remember yesterday when I said that I had to bake a batch of cookies before heading out to Oktobeerfest? Well, I DID have the time to make them, and I’m so glad I did.

These Chocolate Butterscotch Cheesecake Cookies are one of my favorites.

They honestly get softer the longer they sit, so by today, they were basically at the melt-in-your-mouth stage. I stopped counting how many I ate after 5…and I don’t really want to think about it either. Embarrassed smile

*****

Once we finished up tailgating #2, we packed it up and hit the road…BUT…the fun for the day wasn’t over YET. Look at where I convinced my dad to stop!!

Oh Trader Joes, I love you.

We had to make it a quick stop, so I ran in just to stock up on a couple of my favorite snacks (we also made sure to pick up a couple of their pizza doughs, since they’re amazing).

Talk about a great day.

Heck, talk about a great weekend! There was definitely lots of fun happening this weekend, and I am now officially beat. I’ll be happy to get back to the grind tomorrow, along with some regular eating too…I’m actually looking forward to having a couple vegetables back in my life!

I hope everyone had just as great of a weekend, whether it was busy and on-the-go, or relaxing and peaceful. Smile

Questions for the Evening:

What was the highlight of your weekend?

Was yours busy or more relaxing?

1 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey September 18, 2011 at 9:25 pm

That IS a great day!! Two tailgated meals? Awesome. What happened to your mom’s leg? I hope she’s okay!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..low motivation yields low productivity

2 Courtney September 18, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Chels! Yes, she’s ok- she had to get a suspicious-looking piece of skin removed and it’s just really, REALLY icky looking. She’s healing well though, so thank you so much for asking! :)

3 chelsey September 18, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Good! I’m glad she’s doing okay. I hope it didn’t come off as being nosy – I was just hoping she didn’t hurt herself!

4 Courtney September 18, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Oh no, not at all! I appreciate you asking :)

5 Savannah @ Sweet and Savvy September 18, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Okay.. so now I am craving grilled foods and pasta salad after reading this :)

Looks like a super fun day ! I attended a wedding last night – the groom’s look when he saw his bride was the highlight of my weekend!
Savannah @ Sweet and Savvy recently posted..What is Beauty?

6 Mallory @ It's Only Life September 18, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Looks like you had a great day! I love tailgating (possibly more than I love football…what?) I’ve never been to an NFL game, just college (UConn!) but those are some seriously tasty looking snacks…

The “i don’t want to think about how many ___ I just ate” applied to me this weekend, too, with Ghiradelli brownies. Yikes. So freakin’ addictive!

P.S. I love cat cookies from TJs!
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..8 Miles + A Night of Unhealthy

7 Hannah September 18, 2011 at 9:43 pm

your weekend sounds AWESOME. i really want to go to a good football game- however those tickets dont come cheap! :(
my weekend was a mix- busy during day relaxing at night! but did everything i needed including a long run and a good hair cut!
Hannah recently posted..sunday funday?

8 Trainer Kjirsten @ Balanced Healthy Life September 18, 2011 at 9:44 pm

My weekend was great! It was overly busy and filled with cleaning and chores yesterday, but really relaxing today filled with watching football (my Vikings are 0-2, not the start to the season I was hoping for)!!!

9 Sam September 18, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Wow! I have never been tailgating but that looked super fun! I love that you guys made breakfast…especially because it was yummy bagelwiches and home fries! Some of my favorites <3
Sam recently posted..Calm Weekend.

10 Cara @ EAT. PRAY. RUN. September 18, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Don’t you just love that football season is finally here?! Besides everything pumpkin flavored, it’s the best part of fall! I’m actually sitting here watching the falcons vs. eagles as I am reading blogs…perfect sunday evening if you ask me! Looks like you had a wonderful weekend – nice tailgate, y’all know how to do it right ;)
Cara @ EAT. PRAY. RUN. recently posted..Discombobulated

11 Erin September 18, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Ahh, I see you got the cat cookies at Trader Joe’s! I love the ginger ones! Something us cat lovers can appreciate! :)

12 Leah September 18, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Although I’m from Wisconsin, I’m secretly a Jets fan! Jim Leonhard is my 3rd cousin :) My mom’s maiden name is Leonhard, so we’re related!! I love going to professional football games. Lucky you!

13 Courtney September 18, 2011 at 10:26 pm

NO WAY, really?!? How cool is that…talk about a small world! :)

14 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats September 18, 2011 at 10:15 pm

What a great day! While your dad and Jay were looking at the Flight Crew I would have been looking for Mark Sanchez. Mmmhmm. lol. Trader Joe’s is always a winner. I haven’t been since July! :( Miss it so much!

The highlight of my weekend was probably my run this morning. Otherwise I have been studying my face off…well trying anyways!
Abby @ Abz ‘n’ Oats recently posted..Shoulda Studied Sunday

15 Courtney September 18, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Oh don’t you worry, Abby. I’ve always got my eye out for Mr. Sanchez ;)

16 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles September 18, 2011 at 10:22 pm

I am SUPER pumped about the Jets win!!! Wooo-woop! Then, I was on the same page as Chelsey, with your mom’s leg and all. Glad she’s okay though. Tell her to take care!
FUN FUN!!! J-E-T-S Jets-JETS-Jets!!!!! :)
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Playground knowledge….

17 Diana September 18, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Oh my gosh I LOVE your dad’s shirt! I need a Rams version of that ;)

The highlight of my weekend was watching Mizzou win Saturday’s game by 69 POINTS – okay, so they were playing Western Illinois which I wasn’t aware even had a D1 team, but still.

Also your hair looks amazing – love the color!

18 Grace September 18, 2011 at 10:51 pm

My weekend was certainly on the relaxing side not as exciting as yours and I love that you guys did breakfast tailgating food, I’m the kind of person who could eat breakfast food all day so I think breakfast tailgating should be a new trend:)
Grace recently posted..I don’t stop when I’m tired, I stop when I’m done….

19 Shayla @ The Good Life September 18, 2011 at 11:50 pm

I spy Chocolate covered Peanut Butter Pretzels in your TJ’s loot!! ;)

Weekend was spent relaxing with the hubby and lotsa football action – it was perfect! :)

20 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries September 19, 2011 at 12:13 am

What a fun day filled with lots of yummy eats! I’m dying to bake those cookies now…they’re sound amazing. A TJ’s pit stop is always a plus too! I LOVE their pizza dough as well.
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Get to Know Me Part III

21 debbie (accidently delish) September 19, 2011 at 1:55 am

i miss tailgating so much! i have only been to two professional football games and didn’t tailgate at those, but did a lot in college. sometime tailgating is better than the game! haha. looks like you had a great time!
debbie (accidently delish) recently posted..By: Debbie

22 Khushboo September 19, 2011 at 2:03 am

Tailgating looks so delicious–> who knew football could be that fun! I hope your mom’s leg is doing ok?

Sidenote- I did the pyramid run again this morning and luckily it wasn’t so killer this week! Nothing like a fab workout to kickstart the week!
Khushboo recently posted..Perfection is overrated

23 Lindsay@bikingbeforebed September 19, 2011 at 6:37 am

I love that you even have Jets Tupperware! Your family is hardcore. My favorite part of my weekend was going to a cooking show and sampling food for several hours!
Lindsay@bikingbeforebed recently posted..Tour de pink

24 Lauren September 19, 2011 at 7:06 am

So fun! Tailgating is really the best part of going to any game.
We made a pit stop at Tj’s yesterday too!! I only went for a few things but somehow came out with 4 bags full. Opps. ;) That always happens.

25 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 19, 2011 at 7:56 am

Tailgating before & after the game?? You guys are intense! :-)

I had a busy weekend, but I feel like I always do!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Family Dinner

26 Melissa September 19, 2011 at 9:17 am

Did you have the most fun weekend ever, or what??? I did some shopping, some eating, and some running. Lotsa fun! :)

And homemade Chex Mix is the ish. The end.
Melissa recently posted..Oatmeal Toffee Bars

27 Sabine September 19, 2011 at 9:38 am

You look all super cute in your shirts!! :)

I hope it is not annoying, but I have a question:
I read about tailgating sometimes on your blog, but never knew this word before … is “tailgating” meeting with family/friends and going somewhere or does it mean something else, something special?
(I looked up “tailgate” and it is a part of a car.)

28 Courtney September 19, 2011 at 10:21 am

Not annoying at ALL!
It’s basically just another way of saying “cooking out” or hanging out while eating/drinking. I think part of the reason it’s called “tailgating” is because people often do it at the back of their car…hence, the tailgate that you looked up. :)

29 Sabine September 19, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Thank you so much for explaining, Courtney :) !

I like to learn something new (well, most of the time).
I love the english language.
Soooo … I love to learn new english expressions, especially when it is “real life language”!

(Plus, I am sure, there are other non-native speakers reading your blog – and there might be at least one other reader who thinks now “I am glad SHE asked” ;) .)

Btw, GOOD LUCK with your studying. You’ll become a great and inspiring personal trainer!

(You already inspired me to work out in the mornings – me, the die hard night owl! -, before breakfast – just think of that! – and I like it so much I’ll try to stick with it, at least on the 7-ish-am-workout-days; no workouts in the wee hours of the morning in my nearest future, I’m afraid … there can happen just so many little wonders at one time :) .)

30 Jill September 20, 2011 at 7:33 am

My dad has season JETS tix also. Section 309. I had a wedding this weekend and missed the game. 2-0 makes me happy! I was at the first game.

31 Mac September 20, 2011 at 9:19 pm

That looks like great fun! Nothing better than live sporting events and tailgating!
Mac recently posted..New Goodies!