Back On Track

by Courtney on September 19, 2011

If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a hundred times, but this weekend was seriously a blast. We were on the go non-stop from start to finish, but it was all well worth it! In case you’re just catching up, here’s what you may have missed:

Tailgating at the Jets Game

Oktobeerfest Fun!

Freezer Burn

As much fun as this weekend was, it certainly came at a price. All of the food, beer, and cookies were definitely making themselves known as I was heading to bed last night, and to say I felt sluggish would be an understatement.

I honestly do try to approach social situations and events like this weekend fairly nonchalantly; I eat well and workout hard most days of the week, so I don’t have to beat myself up for having an extra cookie or five or two. Sometimes, however, I let my loosy-goosy attitude get the best of me, and I wind up feeling a little less than stellar.

So this morning when my alarm went off for the gym, I may still have been half asleep, but I was excited to break a sweat and get into my normal routine. It’s time to get back on track!

Workout

Today’s workout consisted of a BodyCombat class (which was really kicka$$ today) and some ab work, which looked a little something like this:

Exercise Reps Sets
Crunches on Stability Ball 25 3
Lower Ab Crunches with Stability Ball 20 3
Bicycles 25 2
Weighted Ab Roll Ups 20 3
Toe Touchers 20 3
Side Plank Raises 20 each side 1
Plank Hold (1 minute) 2

That ab workout left my abs rather fatigued, to say the least. It was great. If you want a good resource for ab exercises and/or names of moves, I’ve found that this website is very helpful.

Breakfast

Post-workout, I came home and made a beeline to the kitchen for a nice warm mug of coffee. It was chilly out there this morning (40-ish degrees?) and I needed a little comfort and warmth (never mind the fact that I may still have been sweating a little from my workout).

Coffee was enjoyed (x2) while attempting to catch up on the pile of mail + newspapers from the weekend and eating my cereal combo bowl.

Today’s combo included:

I am now officially in love with Trader Joe’s Multigrain O’s. They.are.awesome.

*****

Win Your Favorite Designer Shoe/Handbag!

Starting this morning, Shop It To Me is giving away either a designer handbag or shoe…winner’s choice!

Designer_giveaway

The contest is for current Shop It To Me members, so if you want a chance to win but aren’t a member yet, you can click here to do so.  To enter, just choose the designer style you like most (Marc Jacobs bag, Rebecca Minkoff bag, Christian Louboutin shoes, or Jimmy Choo shoes) and invite friends to join Shop It To Me. For each friend who signs up, you’ll receive an additional entry! The contest ends on Friday, so head on over and get your entry in; and if you more details on the contest, you can check out their website for more info.

*****

Time to tackle today…let’s make it a great one!

Questions for the Morning:

WOULD YOU RATHER…

• Be unable to experience sadness –OR- unable to experience anger?
  • Eat an entire package of Oreos in one day –OR- an entire bag of potato chips in one day?
  • Work at a bakery –OR- work at a bar?

1 Stephanie @SnackingonSunshine September 19, 2011 at 9:08 am

Oh boy, questions first:
Oreos by FAR, and I’d much rather be unable to experience anger than to experience sadness. There’s so much to be learned from sadness; it teaches you to recognize joy. Anger, in my experience, always makes things worse, because it really involves other people while sadness can be experienced alone :/

On to less serious things, that cereal bowl looks delish! I love mixing and matching. Good for you for getting right back on track – you’re totally right that letting loose a little won’t kill you. I’m glad you had fun, and I know your body will bounce back ASAP!

2 Taylor @ Crumbs Don't Count September 19, 2011 at 9:22 am

Yikes…probably sadness since I feel like anger can be productive sometimes. Anger can motivate you to change yourself, discuss problems with others, right a wrong, help to combat an injustice…so many things spark from anger!

As much as i LOVE oreos, and am not really a chip person, I feel like chips would be easier.

Work at a bakery! I know nothing about alcohol, but I can find my way around some cookies and cakes!

3 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries September 19, 2011 at 9:30 am

What if we started a bakery – bar?? I think I may be on to something great… ;)
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..What $75 Looks Like

4 Courtney September 19, 2011 at 10:23 am

Oooooo, I like the way you think, girl! ;)

5 Hope September 19, 2011 at 9:38 am

I’d rather eat an entire package of Oreos. :) I would probably rather start a bakery. I think that would be fun! :)
Hope recently posted..A Fall-Like Weekend…

6 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance September 19, 2011 at 10:03 am

Don’t worry about letting yourself indulge a little bit this weekend, Courtney! Although it’s important to live a healthy lifestyle, it’s even more important to live life & enjoy the opportunities you have to spend with loved ones :)
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Embrace the Leftovers

7 Khushboo September 19, 2011 at 10:12 am

I love your approach to food! What’s the point of working out and eating well most of the time if we can’t ever let our hair down! I wouldn’t say no to eating a whole packet of Oreos in a day- obviously cals aren’t an issue right? ;)! As for bar v bakery, I think the latter would be easier! I would need a few drinks to handle drunkards at the bar but I’m guessing alcohol during work hours would be frowned upon?
Khushboo recently posted..iJack

8 Khushboo September 19, 2011 at 10:18 am

I love your approach to food! What’s the point of working out and eating well most of the time if we can’t let our hair down every once in a while! I wouldn’t say no to a packet of Oreos (im guessing calories aren’t an issue in this game ;)?)! As for bar v bakery, I’m going to go with the latter. I would need a fee drinks to handle drunkards at the bar but I’m guessing that would be frowned upon during work hours?
Khushboo recently posted..iJack

9 Sweet and Savvy September 19, 2011 at 10:21 am

1) no sadness
2) oreos all the way!
3) a bakery For Sure. .. can you Tell I have a sweet tooth?:)

10 Jodi September 19, 2011 at 10:25 am

I am sooo ready to get back on track after the weekend, as well!

Your weekend looked like alot of fun, and totally worth the calories!
Jodi recently posted..Are they Ginormous?

11 Mallory @ It's Only Life September 19, 2011 at 10:30 am

Right there with ya on feeling sluggish last night/this morning from all the brownies I consumed… def looking to get back on track, and keep next weekend a little lighter on the indulgences!

oreos for sure! love them..and there would be no water retention involved w/ all the salt from the chips! id rather not experience anger (a useless emotion if you ask me!) and id rather own a bakery, so i could bring friends/family members treats!
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Homemade Pizza + Addictive Brownies

12 Shanna, Like Banana September 19, 2011 at 10:39 am

Oh these ones are easy ;)

I’d love not to be angry!
I’m going with oreos (since pregnancy has given me a sweet tooth)
Bakery for sure!
Shanna, Like Banana recently posted..Baby name(s)

13 Melissa September 19, 2011 at 10:46 am

Oof! I felt that way this morning, too. Unfortunately, my plans for a run were foiled by pouring rain! Off to the gym this afternoon to fix that!

1. Sadness. I think anger is healthy, but I hate being sad. :(
2. Oreos. I can eat dessert for days. I used to polish off nearly an entire package of Nutter Butters in a matter of days back in college. Super healthy, no?
3. Bar. If I worked in a bakery, I would eat all.day.long.
Melissa recently posted..Oatmeal Toffee Bars

14 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 19, 2011 at 10:54 am

I felt the same way going to bed last night. That’s the one good thing about Mondays; it’s like a “fresh start”!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Family Dinner

15 Faith September 19, 2011 at 11:03 am

sadness, oreos, bakery. BAM! :)
Faith recently posted..Snickerdoodle and Pumpkin Cream Cheese Sandwiches

16 Jen September 19, 2011 at 11:10 am

1. Unable to experience anger. This will probably be the less common response. Both are healthy emotions at the right times, but anger can be so vile, and I think it would be worse to not be able to feel sad over things like death and other tragedies.

2. Entire bag of potato chips.

3. Bakery!

17 Corey @ Family Fresh Meals September 19, 2011 at 11:28 am

I love how your Trader Joe’s “stock up” trip was 1 little bag. I just went to stock up and left with 2 carts full. I am outta control when it comes to TJ’s! hehehe

And to answer you questions:
1. anger ( although both make my tummy nerves kick in :( )
2. potato chips ( i totally did that 2 days ago :) hehehe)
3. bakery baby! i keep toying around with the idea of starting a small cookie business!!!!
Corey @ Family Fresh Meals recently posted..BLT Pasta, with vegetarian option (adapted from Cuisine at Home)

18 Yolie @ Practising Wellness September 19, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Oooh…designer handbags. I love! <333
I have a balenciaga bag that I completely ADORE, and saved up months and months for…but other favourites are Marc Jacobs and Michael Kors…so chic and classy and wearable! One day I shall own them, lol! ;-)
Also Christian Louboutin shoes = goooorgeous…I love the red soles. But no way on this earth would I be able to wear them! :-P I'm a ballet flat/flip-flop girl through and through, lol!
I love that you indulge when you feel like it – that's so healthy and balanced, when you take such good care of yourself with good food and lots of exercise normally. :-) Speaking of – awesome workout this morning! When I read this I dropped to the floor and did some ab roll-ups…kind of motivated by your session here, lol! :-P The urge just came over me. I was gonna do the whoel thing but after 3 sets of those I was like … meh. I've done enough…that's a little too much like hard work right now, lol! :-D Tomorrow though…for sure! <3
Have a terrific day! xyx
Yolie @ Practising Wellness recently posted..beauty, bread, and four-legged friends

19 Courtney September 19, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Hahaha, I LOVE that you got on the floor and did some ab roll ups. That’s GREAT! :)

20 colleen @ thegiftofmondays September 19, 2011 at 12:32 pm

thanks for the link for ab exercises…i needed it today too!!! happy monday!!!
colleen @ thegiftofmondays recently posted..is God listening?

21 Ari @ Ari's Menu September 19, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Anger–I HATE being angry more than almost anything else in the world.
Oreos–I always prefer sweet to salty!
Bakery–although it would probably be bad news, I LOVE to bake, and I love the atmosphere and I dream of one day owning my own lighter side cupcake shop :)
Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..Celebrating My Spin Buddy!

22 Lauren September 19, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Combat is always a great way to kick off a week. :) If you are EVER in PA, you will have to let me know. I would LOVE to have you in one of my classes. :)
Lauren recently posted..Winner Winner Birthday Weekend

23 Courtney September 19, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Ahhhh, Lauren! That would be so much fun! :)

24 Lindsay @ biking before bed September 19, 2011 at 1:06 pm

I miss body combat. I hope my gym picks it up soon. I would definitely go with the Oreos. I love the Halloween ones that are in stores now.
Lindsay @ biking before bed recently posted..Tour de pink

25 Cat @Breakfast to Bed September 19, 2011 at 1:12 pm

sadness. chips. bar. Can I eat the chips AT the bar?
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Tied Up In Chains.

26 Courtney September 19, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Only if I can join you ;)

27 Trainer Kjirsten @ Balanced Healthy Life September 19, 2011 at 1:14 pm

I would love to work at a bakery! I would probably sample everything and get fired though! I’m a sucker for sweet treats!

28 Courtney September 19, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Me too!!

29 Jordan September 19, 2011 at 1:14 pm

I totally feel ya on needing to get back into the healthy eating/workout routine this morning! The past few weekends have been like that for me. A great workout and a healthy breakfast always makes me feel better on Monday mornings :)

30 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries September 19, 2011 at 1:30 pm

These are tough Would You Rathers today!
-I’d rather not be able to experience anger. Sadness is never fun either, but some emotion is a good thing sometimes, I think.
-I’d rather eat an entire box of Oreos. Love those things!
-I’d rather work at a bakery. It’d be dangerous though…I love baked goods so much!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Fat Talk

31 Carrisa @ G-Free Runner September 19, 2011 at 1:30 pm

So excited you posted this ab workout! Just this morning I wrote about needing something new to mix up my ab routine! Can’t wait to try it tomorrow!!
Carrisa @ G-Free Runner recently posted..Happy Talk Like A Pirate Day

32 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats September 19, 2011 at 2:59 pm

That workout sounds like a good one! :) Getting an exercise ball at home is something I would love to do! I think it would be great to use while sitting at the desk/computer!

I would rather eat a package of Oreos in one sitting, be unable to experience anger, and work at a bakery. Drunk people annoy me when I haven’t been drinking lol.
Abby @ Abz ‘n’ Oats recently posted..Week in Review 9/12-9/18

33 Lizzie September 19, 2011 at 5:17 pm

omg love the breakfast!!!
i had pretty much the same thing today except with frozen raspberries :)
Lizzie recently posted..Lets get serious. {Troubled Eating}

34 Olivia September 20, 2011 at 11:56 pm

definitely never feel anger! I am a very upbeat person with about a 2 second anger rebound as it is, but never having to feel saddness would be amazing! Can you imagine how it would help you to get through the rough times because you wouldn’t know how to feel saddness and would just focus on the positives!
Olivia recently posted..Obsessions

35 web site April 28, 2013 at 4:45 am

Excellent post. I definitely appreciate this site. Keep it up!
web site recently posted..web site

36 Lucretia July 14, 2013 at 7:46 am

Too many folks have already thrown away plenty of good money on
nothing but useless salt tablets being shipped from South America.
Anyone who dares to make a closer inspection will find the
underlying difference. Do not be tempted to lose weight as quickly as you can,
because a crash diet will have you eating less
than a thousand calories a day slowing down your metabolism.
Lucretia recently posted..Lucretia

37 Sean July 30, 2013 at 4:23 am

Break your 3 normal main meals into 5 smaller portion sizes –
morning, snack, lunch, snack, dinner. In fact,
I always suggest to those overweight vegetarians to keep
to a max of 4 pounds a week so you won’t suffer loose skin post weight loss. Now, the average healthy amount people are supposed to lose is 2 pounds per week.
Sean recently posted..Sean