Down To The Wire

by Courtney on October 10, 2011

Good morning and happy Monday/Columbus Day/Thanksgiving Day to my Canadian friends! Looks like there’s lots of happiness to go around today and I like it. Are you one of the lucky ones who gets an extra day off today? I can tell you that hubby is not one of ‘em…boooo.

Just catching up from the weekend? You may have missed some good stuff:

No Rest Day

Congrats Josh & Erika! (<—super fun wedding!)

Chocolate Buttercream Frosting (<—delicious recipe!)

His Special Radar (<—am I overusing the !!’s yet?)

I think I’m feelin’ a little spunky this morning!

Workout

Today officially started Week 4 of the challenge…it’s coming down to the wire! Week 4 focuses on the lower body and all I can say is that this week just looks downright tough.

week4

If you have experienced either of these lower body workouts (the xtreme or the original, 20 minute one) then you already know that they are intense; so when I saw that I had both of them to do this morning, back to back, I knew I was going to be given a run for my money. Let’s just say my legs already feel like mushy jello…and it’s only been an hour since I finished the workout.

What scares me even more is the fact that I’m supposed to do the same two workouts tomorrow. We’ll see if THAT happens!

A lot of you also made some really good points on last night’s post about rest days and I totally agree with you all on the importance of them. Looking at this coming week, I feel like I’d be completely exhausted, both physically and mentally, if I attempted everything with no rest, so I’m considering making a few changes to the plan to be able to incorporate one.

What would you do if this was what your workout looked like for this week? Keep it the same, or try to include some rest?

Breakfast

It was time to switch things up a bit this morning, so I rolled with the waffles.

I lightly toasted two Eggo Nutri-Grain Low Fat Whole Wheat waffles (say that 10x fast) and topped them with a PB2 + pumpkin mixture, banana slices, and a drizzle of light maple syrup.

Usually, I tend to buy the Van’s brand of waffles, but these were just as tasty. A little thinner, maybe, but the flavor was just as good. From now on, I’ll probably end up buying whichever ones are cheaper and/or I have a coupon for. Winking smile

Coffee is also being consumed this morning, with a splash of my new favorite creamer. Yum!

I’ve got a lot I want to get done today, and am feeling pretty ambitious, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed for some productivity.

Question for the Morning:

Are you loyal to any particular brands, or do you like to buy whatever is on sale?

1 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries October 10, 2011 at 8:50 am

We are having the same breakfast this morning!
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..A Perfect Fall Day

2 Aine @ Something to Chew Over October 10, 2011 at 8:51 am

I would definitely take a rest day – aren’t you supposed to leave around 48 hours between strength-training sessions anyway?
Aine @ Something to Chew Over recently posted..Chicken and Mushroom Risotto

3 Taylor @ Crumbs Don't Count October 10, 2011 at 8:53 am

I have to take rest days…otherwise I get burnt out!

I have no brand loyalty at all…except with Splenda. I can use off-brand/store brand splenda, but I can’t use sweet-n-low or equal at all…it has GOT to be yellow packaging. Weird? Probably!
Taylor @ Crumbs Don’t Count recently posted..Pirates of the Care-Free Being

4 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill October 10, 2011 at 9:01 am

Yikes! Good luck with the workouts!

It totally depends, but I am usually very brand-loyal. My family and I all get used to the taste of certain brands, so sometimes it’s hard to switch it up. Plus, it ends up backfiring at times–I might save $1.00 on an item, but if the taste is awful, it will get thrown and completely wasted!
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..$3,000 Laying Around

5 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake October 10, 2011 at 9:03 am

I usually stick with buying whatever is cheaper, unless it’s something where I have a serious preference for one brand vs. another!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Sunday

6 Faith @ For the Health of It October 10, 2011 at 9:07 am

Some things, like Daiya cheese and Vans Waffles (if you haven’t tried the blueberry, you need to!) I’m loyal to, but others like pasta sauce or noodles are picked up when they go on sale.
Faith @ For the Health of It recently posted..There and Back Again

7 Hope October 10, 2011 at 9:09 am

Sometimes I am brand loyal to products if I really like them. Otherwise, I will usually buy what is on sale and what I have a coupon for.

Happy Monday! :)
Hope recently posted..A Weekend In Review & Feeling Confused…

8 Shannon @ Healthiful Balance October 10, 2011 at 9:14 am

Your breakfast looks delicious! I love topping waffles with banana slices! :)
Shannon @ Healthiful Balance recently posted..Banana Protein Pancake with Peanut Flour Sauce

9 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries October 10, 2011 at 9:14 am

Mmm those waffles look and sound so yummy! I haven’t had an Eggo waffle in forever, but I definitely want some now! In terms of brands, I usually buy whatever is cheaper, but there’s a few things (i.e. peanut butter) that I am willing to pay more for because I like the taste and/or health benefits better.
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Anniversary Recap

10 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health October 10, 2011 at 9:20 am

Oh waffles sound great! I usually buy whatever is cheaper, as long as I know that it’s good! And if I was you, I would definitely be changing that workout schedule to include a rest day! That looks hard!
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Monday Fashion Giveaway

11 Lindsay @ biking before bed October 10, 2011 at 9:21 am

I would maybe switch one of the kickboxing sessions for the total body workout. Then your day 25 could just be a yoga stretch session. I am brand loyal for some products like cereal and yogurt. I’ll definitely go generic on canned goods.
Lindsay @ biking before bed recently posted..Rain is a good thing

12 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun October 10, 2011 at 9:22 am

I HAVE to have rest days otherwise I go insane and get way too tired. I think for a couple weeks in a specific plan, it’s not terrible to go without one…but I personally couldn’t do it. In fact, my post for tonight is going to be about me adding in a 2nd rest day. Go figure. ;)
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Lasers, Haircuts, & Pumpkin Pie In A Cup

13 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles October 10, 2011 at 9:24 am

It depends on what I’m buying…. I’m totally brand loyal to chocolate because I’ve been there and done that, I KNOW WHAT I WANT! :)
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..I can’t wait!!!

14 Khushboo October 10, 2011 at 9:32 am

Is this the last week? If so, I would just stick to the plan. Otherwise, I would definitely replace one workout with a rest day! I tend to go for the cheaper option when grocery shopping but I am a brand snob with baked beans and ketchup–> only Heinz will do :)!
Khushboo recently posted..Winner Winner, Brinner for Dinner!

15 Lindsey October 10, 2011 at 9:41 am

It depends on how tired I was for if I switched up the workout for a rest day, maybe even on day 25 if you are tired just do the yoga, which is a half rest day I think :)
It depends on the product on how loyal we are, but a lot of the times we will swap brands out for sales.
Lindsey recently posted..One Long & Productive Day

16 Shayla@ The Good Life October 10, 2011 at 9:42 am

I used to never incorporate rest days and I don’t know how I ever did it, now that I do, I would never go back and feel a million times better with 2 rest days a week and I think they’re so very important.

Looking at your schedule for this week, I would either take tomorrow off since you already did that workout today, or I’d take Thursday off since it seems more like an active recovery day and you have cardio kickboxing both before and after that day so I think a rest day in between would be perfect.

I too always buy whichever is the cheapest/on sale at the moment. I also really like Store Brand items as they pretty much taste the same and are always cheaper! :)

17 Shayla@ The Good Life October 10, 2011 at 9:44 am

Oops, I meant Thursday=Day 25
Shayla@ The Good Life recently posted..Friday Lovin’

18 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 10, 2011 at 9:51 am

I switch back and forth between Egoo and Vans too depending on price. I like Vans the best but just throw the cheapest option in the cart when it comes down to it :)
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Philadelphia half marathon training: week 4

19 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance October 10, 2011 at 10:02 am

I would take a rest day for sure! I spent too many years overworking myself, and as soon as I started incorporating more rest I actually DROPPED the weight I was trying to lose. It’s crazy how your body works
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Pancake Replacement

20 Chelcie of Chelcie's Food Files October 10, 2011 at 10:04 am

I use to be loyal to particular brands until I went to college and started buying all my own groceries! So now I always buy whatever is on sale, which a lot of times is just the generic grocery store brand, but I do like to splurge on items like Almond butter:)
That workout week looks tough! They definitely call it the X-treme challenge for a reason! I tried the kickboxing one on demand as well as the Yoga one and they were both really challenging!
Chelcie of Chelcie’s Food Files recently posted..Bananas Foster Oatmeal

21 Ruthie Hart October 10, 2011 at 10:18 am

I made your pumpkin butter yesterday!!!!! Can’t wait to munch on it all week…maybe I will put it on waffles!
Ruthie Hart recently posted..Pumpkin enchiladas

22 Heather B October 10, 2011 at 10:25 am

I’m all about rest days. Your body needs to to repair and heal. That’s when the muscle happens!! Hve you noticed changes in your body yet? Are you going to do a recap post of what you thought?? Great job so far!! ;)

23 Courtney October 10, 2011 at 10:26 am

I have seen some slight changes, but I will definitely recap once it’s over!

24 Trainer Kjirsten @ Balanced Healthy Life October 10, 2011 at 10:27 am

Those dancing/swaying ghosts are just too adorable! I love them! They totally put a big smile on my face when I was looking at your breakfast pics!!!

25 Cat @Breakfast to Bed October 10, 2011 at 10:28 am

your ass is going to be en-fuego. For real. Invest in some ice packs.

26 Caitlin C. October 10, 2011 at 10:30 am

I love how you take your photos with those decorations in the background! Cute touch!
Caitlin C. recently posted..Guest Bloggin’

27 Melissa October 10, 2011 at 10:35 am

It’s funny because I tend to buy what’s on sale, but I am loyal about certain things. Heinz ketchup, Skippy Natural PB (unless I’m at TJ’s!), and Yoplait for non-Greek yogurt.
Melissa recently posted..My Milkshake

28 Rebecca October 10, 2011 at 10:48 am

I usually stick with vans for waffles. I tend to stick to particular brands, but I’ll go with whats cheaper depending on what I get.

29 Laura @ Unchartered 20s October 10, 2011 at 11:08 am

Mmm i had that breakfast yesterday :)

Are you noticing a difference since tackling this challenge?

30 Cute~Ella October 10, 2011 at 11:09 am

Thanks for inspiring my breakfast!

As for brand loyalty, there are a few achem personal items that I prefer to buy (Tampax and Durex), mayonnaise (Hellmans), and Worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrins) but mostly the rest is up for grabs as far as price unless I’ve tried it before and don’t like it.
Cute~Ella recently posted..Grace in Small Things: 2011-40

31 Claire October 10, 2011 at 11:10 am

Hi Courtney! Best of luck with your Week 4 workouts. I am a huge advocate of the “rest” day ever since I started doing my 10K plan. I really do MUCH better and see more improvements when I just take the rest day on the DAY that the plan states. They must be on to something ;-)

I did Van’s waffles this morning with morningstar bacon (Julie got me started on this one). It was a great Fall breakfast with the coffee & creamer on the side, naturally :-)

Happy ambitious Monday…I am right there with you! Getting lots done feels great!
Claire recently posted..The Unexpected Distance Endeavor

32 Katie @ Plates and Paste October 10, 2011 at 11:10 am

Usually whatever is on sale, but I do like to buy Kashi a lot. Mostly their cereal and crackers!
Katie @ Plates and Paste recently posted..Salad Galore

33 Candice October 10, 2011 at 11:12 am

im cheap and save whenever i can. coupons, sales all the way!
Candice recently posted..Pumpkin Waffle Sunday

34 Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled October 10, 2011 at 12:20 pm

I used to push through and not take rest days, but I think that you get better workouts when you do take a rest day. If you’re tired, you might not push as hard when you do workout. I’m a total convert.

I’m brand loyal to certain foods (Greek yogurt, chicken, milk), but with others, I’ll buy whatever is cheapest (spaghetti sauce, cheese, cereal). Sometimes things just don’t taste exactly the same!

35 Rachelle October 10, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Good luck with your workouts this week! I am loyal to brands on certain foods and other things I will buy whatever is cheaper. Sometimes it’s worth the extra money lol.

36 Kim @thefamilypractice October 10, 2011 at 1:09 pm

I get those waffles too! They make running out the door at 5:30 a little easier and since their whole wheat I don’t feel like I trashed my breakfast out of haste. I toast mine, spread with pb and then fold and eat like a taco (literally while running out the door). I’ve never seen the van’s kind…
Kim @thefamilypractice recently posted..Hyatt Escala Park City

37 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 10, 2011 at 1:48 pm

i’m usually loyal to brands, but sometimes if the money is getting tight, I will buy whatever is cheapest!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..could it be corn?

38 megan October 10, 2011 at 1:53 pm

you NEED rest days! that is so, so important. if you are really taking this personal training certification seriously – you need to understand why the body needs rest days. that is one of the great disadvantages to doing a certification, without the proper education and degree in kinesiology or exercise science. your body makes its gains in strength during recovery – DO NOT SKIP IT.

39 Courtney October 10, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I completely agree with you Megan and yes, I am most definitely taking my personal training certification seriously. This is why I brought the subject up, to address the importance of rest days, and I intend to take one this week. :)

40 Kim @thefamilypractice October 10, 2011 at 2:30 pm

When I first commented earlier, I was in the process of making pumpkin butter. As a result of reading your post and the delicious smells in my kitchen, I ended up eating a waffle with pumpkin butter still warm :) I’ll post the recipe soon – it is freakin amazing! And yes, that was my second breakfast for the day ;) Sometimes you gotta give into the craving!
Kim @thefamilypractice recently posted..Hyatt Escala Park City

41 Yolie @ Practising Wellness October 10, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Mmm…those breakfast waffles look delicious! :-) And I am so intrigued by your workouts…they sounds intense! Good luck with the rest of the week! <3 xyx
Yolie @ Practising Wellness recently posted..Stockpiling the 3 B’s: Bread, Butter, Bars

42 Amy October 10, 2011 at 3:50 pm

i’m pretty loyasl to brands. For waffles I tend to stick to Van”s gluten free waffles cause they tend to be the best gluten free I’ve tasted. With not eating gluten I tend to be loyal to brands that i know are certified gluten free such as Bob’s Red mill, Vans, and Rudi’s.

43 Serena October 10, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Yay! Happy Thanksgiving Day!
-from one of your Canadian friends :)

44 Lizzie October 10, 2011 at 5:15 pm

yum!! i love waffles!
Lizzie recently posted..You put the lime in the COCONUT… {Recipe Round Up!}

45 Maria@La_Piattini October 10, 2011 at 5:22 pm

I would say it depends on the product. I like the same brand of yogurt for sure. Other things like ice cream, pasta, cereal I stick with the sales.
Maria@La_Piattini recently posted..Apple Adventures

46 Samantha October 10, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Oh my – I’ve done the original lower body workout and it left my legs exhausted!

I would rearrange that schedule for a rest day – those are some serious workouts, you don’t to end up burnt out or, worse, injured or way too sore.

I am loyal to some brands (Chobani, Coffeemate, Tropicana), but mostly just buy what’s on sale.
Samantha recently posted..All Sorts of Good Stuff