Down To The Wire

Good morning and happy Monday/Columbus Day/Thanksgiving Day to my Canadian friends! Looks like there’s lots of happiness to go around today and I like it. Are you one of the lucky ones who gets an extra day off today? I can tell you that hubby is not one of ‘em…boooo.

Just catching up from the weekend? You may have missed some good stuff:

No Rest Day

Congrats Josh & Erika! (<—super fun wedding!)

Chocolate Buttercream Frosting (<—delicious recipe!)

His Special Radar (<—am I overusing the !!’s yet?)

I think I’m feelin’ a little spunky this morning!

Workout

Today officially started Week 4 of the challenge…it’s coming down to the wire! Week 4 focuses on the lower body and all I can say is that this week just looks downright tough.

week4

If you have experienced either of these lower body workouts (the xtreme or the original, 20 minute one) then you already know that they are intense; so when I saw that I had both of them to do this morning, back to back, I knew I was going to be given a run for my money. Let’s just say my legs already feel like mushy jello…and it’s only been an hour since I finished the workout.

What scares me even more is the fact that I’m supposed to do the same two workouts tomorrow. We’ll see if THAT happens!

A lot of you also made some really good points on last night’s post about rest days and I totally agree with you all on the importance of them. Looking at this coming week, I feel like I’d be completely exhausted, both physically and mentally, if I attempted everything with no rest, so I’m considering making a few changes to the plan to be able to incorporate one.

What would you do if this was what your workout looked like for this week? Keep it the same, or try to include some rest?

Breakfast

It was time to switch things up a bit this morning, so I rolled with the waffles.

I lightly toasted two Eggo Nutri-Grain Low Fat Whole Wheat waffles (say that 10x fast) and topped them with a PB2 + pumpkin mixture, banana slices, and a drizzle of light maple syrup.

Usually, I tend to buy the Van’s brand of waffles, but these were just as tasty. A little thinner, maybe, but the flavor was just as good. From now on, I’ll probably end up buying whichever ones are cheaper and/or I have a coupon for. Winking smile

Coffee is also being consumed this morning, with a splash of my new favorite creamer. Yum!

I’ve got a lot I want to get done today, and am feeling pretty ambitious, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed for some productivity.

Question for the Morning:

Are you loyal to any particular brands, or do you like to buy whatever is on sale?

Comments

Yikes! Good luck with the workouts!

It totally depends, but I am usually very brand-loyal. My family and I all get used to the taste of certain brands, so sometimes it’s hard to switch it up. Plus, it ends up backfiring at times–I might save $1.00 on an item, but if the taste is awful, it will get thrown and completely wasted!
    Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..$3,000 Laying Around

Mmm those waffles look and sound so yummy! I haven’t had an Eggo waffle in forever, but I definitely want some now! In terms of brands, I usually buy whatever is cheaper, but there’s a few things (i.e. peanut butter) that I am willing to pay more for because I like the taste and/or health benefits better.
    Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Anniversary Recap

Is this the last week? If so, I would just stick to the plan. Otherwise, I would definitely replace one workout with a rest day! I tend to go for the cheaper option when grocery shopping but I am a brand snob with baked beans and ketchup–> only Heinz will do :)!
    Khushboo recently posted..Winner Winner, Brinner for Dinner!

It depends on how tired I was for if I switched up the workout for a rest day, maybe even on day 25 if you are tired just do the yoga, which is a half rest day I think :)
    It depends on the product on how loyal we are, but a lot of the times we will swap brands out for sales.
    Lindsey recently posted..One Long & Productive Day

I used to never incorporate rest days and I don’t know how I ever did it, now that I do, I would never go back and feel a million times better with 2 rest days a week and I think they’re so very important.

Looking at your schedule for this week, I would either take tomorrow off since you already did that workout today, or I’d take Thursday off since it seems more like an active recovery day and you have cardio kickboxing both before and after that day so I think a rest day in between would be perfect.

I too always buy whichever is the cheapest/on sale at the moment. I also really like Store Brand items as they pretty much taste the same and are always cheaper! :)

I use to be loyal to particular brands until I went to college and started buying all my own groceries! So now I always buy whatever is on sale, which a lot of times is just the generic grocery store brand, but I do like to splurge on items like Almond butter:)
    That workout week looks tough! They definitely call it the X-treme challenge for a reason! I tried the kickboxing one on demand as well as the Yoga one and they were both really challenging!
    Chelcie of Chelcie’s Food Files recently posted..Bananas Foster Oatmeal

7. Heather B says

I’m all about rest days. Your body needs to to repair and heal. That’s when the muscle happens!! Hve you noticed changes in your body yet? Are you going to do a recap post of what you thought?? Great job so far!! ;)

It’s funny because I tend to buy what’s on sale, but I am loyal about certain things. Heinz ketchup, Skippy Natural PB (unless I’m at TJ’s!), and Yoplait for non-Greek yogurt.
    Melissa recently posted..My Milkshake

Thanks for inspiring my breakfast!

As for brand loyalty, there are a few achem personal items that I prefer to buy (Tampax and Durex), mayonnaise (Hellmans), and Worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrins) but mostly the rest is up for grabs as far as price unless I’ve tried it before and don’t like it.
    Cute~Ella recently posted..Grace in Small Things: 2011-40

Hi Courtney! Best of luck with your Week 4 workouts. I am a huge advocate of the “rest” day ever since I started doing my 10K plan. I really do MUCH better and see more improvements when I just take the rest day on the DAY that the plan states. They must be on to something ;-)

I did Van’s waffles this morning with morningstar bacon (Julie got me started on this one). It was a great Fall breakfast with the coffee & creamer on the side, naturally :-)

Happy ambitious Monday…I am right there with you! Getting lots done feels great!
    Claire recently posted..The Unexpected Distance Endeavor

I used to push through and not take rest days, but I think that you get better workouts when you do take a rest day. If you’re tired, you might not push as hard when you do workout. I’m a total convert.

I’m brand loyal to certain foods (Greek yogurt, chicken, milk), but with others, I’ll buy whatever is cheapest (spaghetti sauce, cheese, cereal). Sometimes things just don’t taste exactly the same!

Good luck with your workouts this week! I am loyal to brands on certain foods and other things I will buy whatever is cheaper. Sometimes it’s worth the extra money lol.

I get those waffles too! They make running out the door at 5:30 a little easier and since their whole wheat I don’t feel like I trashed my breakfast out of haste. I toast mine, spread with pb and then fold and eat like a taco (literally while running out the door). I’ve never seen the van’s kind…
    Kim @thefamilypractice recently posted..Hyatt Escala Park City

14. megan says

you NEED rest days! that is so, so important. if you are really taking this personal training certification seriously – you need to understand why the body needs rest days. that is one of the great disadvantages to doing a certification, without the proper education and degree in kinesiology or exercise science. your body makes its gains in strength during recovery – DO NOT SKIP IT.

• Courtney says

I completely agree with you Megan and yes, I am most definitely taking my personal training certification seriously. This is why I brought the subject up, to address the importance of rest days, and I intend to take one this week. :)

When I first commented earlier, I was in the process of making pumpkin butter. As a result of reading your post and the delicious smells in my kitchen, I ended up eating a waffle with pumpkin butter still warm :) I’ll post the recipe soon – it is freakin amazing! And yes, that was my second breakfast for the day ;) Sometimes you gotta give into the craving!
    Kim @thefamilypractice recently posted..Hyatt Escala Park City

16. Amy says

i’m pretty loyasl to brands. For waffles I tend to stick to Van”s gluten free waffles cause they tend to be the best gluten free I’ve tasted. With not eating gluten I tend to be loyal to brands that i know are certified gluten free such as Bob’s Red mill, Vans, and Rudi’s.

Oh my – I’ve done the original lower body workout and it left my legs exhausted!

I would rearrange that schedule for a rest day – those are some serious workouts, you don’t to end up burnt out or, worse, injured or way too sore.

I am loyal to some brands (Chobani, Coffeemate, Tropicana), but mostly just buy what’s on sale.
    Samantha recently posted..All Sorts of Good Stuff