Puffy Eyes

So how did everyone do on their sleep last night? Good?

Well, I cannot tell I lie; I did not do very good. I had good intentions though, so that’s got to count for something right? Probably not, but here’s what went down…

I had to watch Modern Family. I didn’t want to wait to watch it on the DVR, so I stayed up. Then I started getting ready for bed, but all of a sudden, the slightest, tinniest thing tipped me off and I became an emotional mess. Honestly, it was for no good reason whatsoever, but I could not cool it with the waterworks.

My poor husband. He must have thought I was nuts. Actually, I take that back…we’ve been together almost 11 years…he knows I can be nuts. I was making no sense and pretty much just babbling on like a bumbling, blubbering idiot (<—btw, does the word “blubbering” make anyone else think of the movie Grease, or is that just me?).

So anyways, I finally calmed myself down and got to sleep, got up this morning to workout, and then while I was getting ready around the house, it happened again. The waterworks turned on and there I was, crying again, with Jay looking dumbfounded as ever as I apologized to him for me crying last night…

Yeah. Go figure?

So now, today, I will be sporting the glasses look because I don’t know about you, but whenever I end up crying anywhere close to going to bed, I awake with the most lovely, super puffy eyes.

I’ve always been that way, and so has my mom, so I guess I have her to thank. Some people, I swear they could cry for days straight and you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference in their face.

I actually remember working with a girl wayyyy back in high school (at Fashion Bug, anyone remember those?) who had some serious issues. She would come in to work and cry her face off almost every day without ever having one sign of puffy eyes or blotchy skin to follow. Yet, if I shed a few tears at Dawson’s Creek the night before, my eyes would be huge puffballs the next morning. Yes, I will always be jealous of anyone who can cry and hide it because I cannot.

Yikes, look at me rambling today. Can you tell I’m a little off? Confused smile Sheesh! I’ll tell ya, us girls are a tough breed, aren’t we? I’ll fully admit it; sometimes, I am just an emotional nutcase and I have no rhyme or reason as to why it’s happening.

Sorry, Jay. I’ll try to keep it together a little better today. Winking smile

Today I was back to the challenge with a double session of Xtreme Total Body + Xtreme Yoga. I was actually quite shaky during today’s yoga, but it felt amazing to stretch. My muscles were t-i-g-h-t!

Since I already rambled on enough above, I’m going to keep things short and sweet here. Breakfast today was the same as yesterday so you’re getting a recycled photo.

Just don’t hold it against me…I’m unstable today. Winking smile

Okay, time to buckle down and tackle my day. Let’s hope I’ve finally got my crap together!

Questions for the Morning:

When was the last time you were emotional for no good reason?

Do you get puffy eyes from crying…or are you one of the lucky ones??

1. Sarah says

I hope you feel better soon Courtney! I get those emotional moments a lot when i just break down for no good reason. When i cry, its obvious… not so much puffy eyes, but more like my face is all pink and my voice is choky, and i hiccup- sorta random? Hope you have a terrific Thursday!

Aw jeez, just call me weepy mcweeperson. I have been known to cry at commercials, patriotic airplane displays, the singing of my college alma mater, and just thinking about the movie “The Notebook”. It’s bad news bears. Luckily, for everyone around me, I also have the least attractive crying face I can imagine. It’s red, it’s puffy, it’s contorted in ways faces never should be….

I’m trying to own it.
    Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Rehearsal Dinner at Open Door Gastropub

Ugh, I am SUCH an un-cute crier. My eyes don’t get puffy, but my nose does for some reason, and my cheeks really red. Pair that with mascara streaming down your face and I have no idea how I even am recognizable as a human being. Ya gotta let it out though…it’s good for the soul! Hope you feel better today :)
    Faith @ For the Health of It recently posted..Blonde Moments

I hope you start feeling better – I dont know how the weather is out by you yesterday or today but it is for sure playing with my emotions and making me feel down/crabby/crying for no reason!

Hope today is better then yesterday! :-)

I cry all the time. Out of pure boredom last week I started watching Basketball wives LA, and bawled through half of it? WTF? I was emotional all last week, spent the majority of it crying WITH PUFFY EYES and with a husband looking at me like I am crazy. It happens 😉
    Kerryne recently posted..Dinner as a family

I’m so sorry you had an emotional night! I’ve totally been there. It happens to me every so often around “that time of the month”. And if it makes you feel better, my eyes get the same way! Totally puffy, looking like someone punched me in the eye. I try to hide with make up or glasses too. 😉 You look cute in your glasses, by the way!
    Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Lovin’ the Love

7. Kait says

Ugh, I’m sorry Courtney!! I hate emotional roller coaster days (and what they do to OUR faces)! I, too, am one of those people that sheds *a* tear and my eyes swell shut, while my skin goes super blotchy. Not the prettiest sight, but honestly in your picture you cant tell you have puffy eyes at all! Promise! HOWEVER in the future, if you have swollen eyes putting ice cubes or frozen spoons on them can help!

i never used to be this way, but i cry at everything now! tv shows, songs, books, COMMERCIALS, omg i’m nuts! i watch a lot of disney channel with my Nonna (yes, my 94 year old Nonna, but it makes her laugh the most!) and they were playing this one commercial around new year’s that had no words, just this quiet music and still images of the disney stars when they first started and were little kids, then of them now that they’re “grown up.” fading in and out with a black background, and then some inspirational phrases. basically the message was to dream big and believe in yourself, it was such a cute, well done and honestly inspiring commercial for kids… so i would be full blown crying by the end of it everryyyy single time! every now and then it comes on and i brace myself! we’re all a little crazy in our own ways.
    Mandee @ Mandeelicious recently posted..Coconutty 94th!

I get the super puffy eyes too, and especially when I cry close to bed time – I remember the last time I had a mini melt down and the next day at work people actually asked me what was a matter with my eyes – it was that bad and kinda looked like an allergic reaction!
    During marathon training this spring/summer I had a few “emotional” times I think my body was just done!
    Lindsey recently posted..What A Wednesday…

I went through years and years on not crying- ever. I just never felt the need for some reason. I wasn’t emotionally dead, I just couldn’t cry. (Seen The Holiday? Yep, I was her.) Then all of a sudden, I could cry and now I’m gone at the drop of a hat….. Especially lately, the dr. has put me on a boat ton of meds and I can’t keep it together. Yikes! At least I know why I’m emotional though. ….Yep, it totally shows on my face. Puffy eyes and face. Boooo!
    Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..You’ve got mail!

sorry you are feeling a little emotional courtney :( i think it’s healthier to cry for no reason sometimes than to not cry at all! still somewhat of a release, right?

last week i had a moment like that. my knee was bothering me so i couldnt run, my stomach hurt, and then my other leg started randomly hurting (just a charlie horse type of thing) but that was the last straw and i just started bawling on the phone to my boyfriend that i was “falling apart”. lol.. dramatic much? i find i look back on situations like that and laugh, but in reality i probably did need a good cry!
    Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Pesto Chicken Pizza

I hope you’re feeling better girl! I had one of those days on Tuesday where nothing seemed to go right and the best way to deal with it was cry. I’m right there with you, with blotchy skin, puffy eyes, the works.

Have a great day!
    Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Crabby Salad

There is absolutely nothing wrong with crying for no good reason. Sometimes I actually look forward to them (even though I don’t know when it’ll happen) because I just need a good cry now and then to keep myself level haha. Unfortunately, I also suffer from having super duper puffy eyes. What I’ve started doing is putting in Visine and rolling cold eggs from the fridge over my eyes before I sleep and when I wake up. Not 100% puff reduction, but it sure takes it down a notch!
    Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..My Traumatic Rat Experience

14. Leah says

Oh girl…. I totally feel you on this one! I had the SAME problem last night…my POOR boyfriend. :( It’s nice when they still love you no matter what. Glad to know I’m not alone in this! Cheer up :)

Aw, hope you’re feeling better Courtney! I get super puffy eyes from crying and combined with allergies and eczema that I sometimes get (which is basically just dry skin under my eyes) I can look like a hot mess afterwards. It’s not pretty so I feel your pain. Sometimes I wish I needed glasses to cover it up a bit!
    Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Pumpkin chocolate chip scones

I definitely get puffy eyes, too! One of my coworkers mentioned last night how I looked exhausted. Oy. That’s not a compliment! I also tend to get emotional for no reason when I’m tired. It’s a vicious cycle! Almost the weekend! :)
    Pamela recently posted..12 Hours of Food

Oh Courtney I am right there with you. If I cry anywhere near bedtime, I look like a different person when I wake up!!! However, if I cry during the day, my looks don’t change much (unless I cry off my makeup or something.) I hope the rest of your day goes well sweetie!!

Girl, sometimes that just happens! It happens to me far too often, I must say. I’m a very anxiety-ridden person, and quite frankly, I overwhelm myself even when there’s nothing there to stress me out. I get puffy (and red) eyes from crying, too. I hope you turn your day around and end up having a good one!
    Jen recently posted..Word Nerd

I’m so sorry you had a sad night! That usually happens to me when I’ve been holding lots of tiny things in for a few days, and then something tips me off and all those tiny things turn into this huuuge “my-life-is-a-cluster-fuck-and-there’s-nothing-i-can-do-about-it” moment and a crying session ensues. But once I cry and get it out, I feel SO MUCH better. And I hope you do, too 😉

What good is a husband if he can’t watch you fall apart every now and then :) Seriously though, its good we have our guys (or somebody) to help hold us up when we need it.
    Cheer up! “Life is not about waiting for the storm to settle, it’s about learning to dance in the rain”
    Kim @ The Family Practice recently posted..Sugarless Pumpkin Pie

21. Lauren says

I hardly ever comment but just had to–you sound so much like me!! I cry over such dumb stuff and at weird times…I feel bad for everyone who has to put up with me! I hope you have a much better day today :)

Aww I hope you’re feeling better this morning- we are an interesting breed! Last time I cried for a dumb reason was because I burned my white tshirt- to be fair, it was my FAVE tshirt and the ‘perfect’ tshirt doesn’t come around all the time. Unsurprisingly, my buddy P paid me a visit the next day!
    Khushboo recently posted..Brown Paper Bag is baaack!

Aww I’m sorry! I hate when this happens! I feel like I’ve been a bit of an emotional roller coaster latetly — I definitely broke down last Sat and Sunday due to a really mean comment some silly drunk person said to me when I was out… I hadn’t even been talking to this person! So I was shocked to be called something so mean. I’m bummed to say that it really got the best of me.
    Stephanie @ StephSnacks recently posted..Trattoria Dell’Arte

HEY! I have been reading your blog for a few months now but I have never commented before.. I just want to say that I absolutely LOVE IT and it’s becoming apart of my daily routine to read and enjoy it :) and I also cried last night…for something small that I wanted to accomplish yesterday and it backfired on me. I ended up crying so much and only getting 5-6 hours of sleep instead of the usual 7-8 hours….which in result made me wake up feeling tired, on edge and gloomy…oh and not to mention those PUFFY eyes and bags from the lack of sleep. I need to learn how to deal with stress and overwhelming situations way better…and not taking everything out on myself!! How you have a great day today!

• Courtney says

Awww, thanks for commenting (and for reading), Shannon! I’m sorry to hear you were in a similar boat as me last night. Hopefully you have a better day today!

• Cait says

My night sounds so similar to both of yours! Ended up crying so much that I didn’t go to sleep until 1am and woke up at 5:30am for work. Boo. Thank goodness my emotions don’t get the best of me TOO often!

Here’s to all of us emotional ladies having a better day today :)

25. Nicole says

I did the same thing last night!! I think my boyfriend thought I was losing my mind!! I was watching Modern Family too…thank god for that show and getting a good laugh in! And yes, today I will be sporting puffy eyes as well!

Puffy eyes are the worst! I get them, too – whether I’ve been crying a little during an episode of “Parenthood” or a lot, thanks to a random emotional meltdown. I’ve found that putting a cold washcloth on them for a few minutes helps, and makes them feel less irritated, too. Hopefully today will be void of any tears!
    Katharine recently posted..Well-Being Wednesday

I love that recycled picture. Haha.
    I only cry every 3 or 4 years, but when I do, even if it’s for 15 minutes, my eyes look like I have severe pink eye plus an allergic reaction and I almost can’t see out of them. It’s a little hilarious.
    Thank goodness for glasses :) It’s almost FRIDAY!!! Your emotions will probably magically heal on the weekend. Mine do :)
    Allie {a teaspoon of LIFE} recently posted..Attention Deficit – HUH?!

Oh I’m terrible when it comes to crying, the tears aren’t discreet either like some people’s whose tears just roll straight down from the tear duct. It’s messy and my face is goes all red. I get puffy eyes the next day as well,
    Hope today is super :)
    Cecilia @ I [heart] Me recently posted..Intro to R[*] Week 2

29. Heather T says

Ohh man, wait until you are pregnant someday. The hormones make you crazy (just ask Mike!). I definitely had some crazy meltdowns while pregnant, haha.

Oh no! I am a crier myself. I cry for lots of random things from sad commercials to frustrating moments. Anyway, as Khushboo said it usually has something to do with “buddy P”. But, just to ask and you know, pry into your life…are you preggers? (haha, you don’t have to answer that but it was the first thing that struck me reading this post.)

Also, Beyonce’s baby bump- fake or real?
    Prathiba recently posted..Today Is A New Day

31. Jordan says

I feel like my level of emotional-ness/tendency to cry at *everything* has skyrocketed this year. I absolutely bawled as I finished reading the Lord of the Rings trilogy last week, and it seems like when I listen to certain songs like By Your Side by Tenth Avenue North, I cannot help but cry. Ahh, I just call myself emotionally unstable. It feels good to cry sometimes though.

Court, so sorry to hear about your rough night :( I’m just catching up on blog reading..finally…I’m way behind.
    I hope that things are MUCH better this afternoon. I’m thinking of you..and don’t forget my invitation is ALWAYS open to come to FL to bake donuts & drink wine 😉 Oh ya & don’t forget if I win the lotto we are all going to St. Lucia & drinking no pressure no problems 😉 Xo
    Holly recently posted..Childhood Habits

Hope you are feeling better today. I hate days like that and I get the worst puffy eyes ever. Actually, I pretty much get puffy eyes if I miss one hour of sleep, have one drink or cry one tear. No fair! Anyway… hope you are doing better!

34. meaghan says

My goodness!! Was it something in the air? Is there a full moon? I too was an emotional wreck last night – all but cried myself to sleep after hubby got into bed and just held me. Got home today, and lost it again. After 2.5 miles, I’m feeling better…but wooboy!

I think it’s the full moon because I too have been an emotional basketcase lately!! Don’t worry, us women are definitely an interesting breed 😉

And I am so happy to hear I’m not the only one who cries one tear and is a puffy mess the next morning!! What’s up with that?! At least you have super cute glasses to cover them up…maybe I should invest in a non prescription pair? 😉
    Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..Variety is the “All Spice” in Life

Oh wow…we are SO on the same wavelength here, Court! I was an emotional basketcase on Monday and even worse on Tuesday. I told myself that I wouldn’t even talk to my boyfriend on the phone until it subsided…I don’t want to expose him to that…yet 😉 I actually was able to “work through it” and the week has gotten better. It was the stupidest thing…someone talking about babies in my “here and now processing group” for group counseling program stuff…the joys of being a mommy, childbirth, etc. It made me want it SO bad (if we are being honest here and all…I know this is a lot of sharing) and I realized just how far I am from the place I want to be…ok that’s enough!

Regardless, I hope you are feeling much better and it’s OK! Sometimes we are our worst critics. Let it out and eat those sweets, it helps…:-)
    Claire recently posted..Totally Truthful Thursday: Video

37. Laura says

Aw, so sorry to hear about your day! I firmly believe that we women don’t always have a real reason for when we’re emotional, and sometimes a good cry (or two…) is all it takes to get it out of our system and feel better. Whether I’m feeling emotional, having a rough day, or watching the Pamper’s Silent Night commercial (you know it if you see it, and it gets me EVERY time), I can’t help but let it out. Between my rather unfortunate ‘cry face’ and the redness, puffiness, and shakiness in my voice, there’s no hiding when I’m feeling extra emotional. You’re not the only one :)

Here’s to hoping your day turned around and your night tonight went much better :)

38. Amanda says

I totally know how you feel Courtney! This week my car got stolen, and I had a big assessment for my bar exam. I was totally dry-eyed through the whole thing, then last night I found out I was going to be half an hour late to dinner with friends and I absolutely. freaking. lost. it. Like on my knees, crying into my bed, sobbing uncontrollably! I think when I’m stressed, I try to soldier on, but then the smallest thing that sets me off, and then it alllllll unleashes!