Ending My Month-Long Hiatus

After a little bit lazy and a little bit social weekend, it was time to get back into the swing of things this morning. But first, here’s what you may have missed:

Jacks Turns One

My Judging Debut

Top 4 Apple Recipes

So with the challenge officially being over (more on that a little later) I awoke bright and early to end my month-long hiatus with the gym. Turns out, my gym did a little revamping while I was away and there are now some pretty cool, brand-spankin’ new machines up in there.

source

Since it’s Monday, I intended on taking the BodyCombat class, but the instructor ended up calling in sick this morning so it was cancelled. Total bummer. That left me with only one other choice, which was the Express (45 minute) spin class.

I stuck it out with this class, but it’s definitely still just not my favorite. I love how it makes me sweat, but I just don’t find it…fun. Ahh well!

I followed up spin class with an upper body weights routine that was very similar to an idea I got from Julie I while back:

• Superset One: overhead press + barbell row (15 reps of each)
  • Superset Two: chess press + upright rows (15 reps of each)
  • Superset Three: front shoulder raises + tricep dips (15 reps of each)
  • Superset Four: bicep curls + tricep kick backs (15 reps of each)
  • Mac raises (20 reps)
  • Lat pulldowns (using machine, 15 reps)

It felt great to combine some upper body strength work with the intense, lower body workout from spin class. It was a winning workout for sure!

Breakfast

On my way home from the gym, I made a quick pit stop at my favorite coffee shop to surprise hubby with some coffees. We ran out over the weekend so until I go grocery shopping today, we’re outta the goods. I mean, I couldn’t go without my coffee fix for one day let the poor guy go into work on a Monday morning with no coffee, right? Winking smile

Pumpkin Pie for me, Cookies and Cream for him (both were equally fantastic)

Once I got home, I quickly put together a Pumpkin Buckwheat bowl, topped with some PB2 and granola.

Nothin’ like a kick-a$$ workout and a warm, pumpkin-filled breakfast to kick-start my day, right?

I was planning on giving you guys the low-down on my experience with the 10lb. Slimdown Challenge this morning, but I’ve actually got to scoot out the door to run some errands, so I promise I’ll fill ya’ll in this afternoon. I know many of you have been asking about it and I’ve got lots of thoughts!

Questions for the Morning:

WOULD YOU RATHER…

• Strength train with free weights –OR- strength train with machines?
  • Take an hour long spin class –OR- an hour long yoga class?
  • Be stuck in a group exercise class next to a constant grunter –OR- next to someone who passes gas every 10 minutes?

Comments

It’s been awhile since you’ve asked “would you rather” questions!
    I’d rather strength train with free weights for sure. Free weights can be much more efficient!
    I’d rather take an hour long spin class! I’m not a huge yoga lover. I love to get my heart rate going and sweat.
    Hahaha the last one makes me laugh. This is tough because the grunting is a pet peeve of mine but the passing gas would be so gross! Hmm I’d have to go with the grunting. At least I wouldn’t be grossed out every few minutes!
    Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Afternoon at the Park

Nothing is worse than when you are ready to rock and a class is canceled. Sorry about that! But great workout indeed.

I love all the classes and it depends on what mood I am in that helps me decide if I want to sweat it out on a bike, or find my zen moment.

Yummy coffee and fall pics, love this time of year.

I think Spin has a LOT to do with the instructor. There is a male instructor at my gym who picks horrible music (very tribal) and doesn’t do the spin class with us. This is by far my least favorite instructor, meaning the classes just aren’t as fun for me. I need GOOD MUSIC to get me all amped up. I like to sing along in my head! :)
    Taylor @ Crumbs Don’t Count recently posted..I Want to Bank You

4. Tiffany says

I’m a lazy, so I think strength train on machines
    Spin Class – I agree with what someone said above, alot if it has to do with the instructor, their teaching / coaching style and music that is played.
    Grunter, mos’def.

5. Christina says

I think I’d rather be next to the grunter or the gas passer if it meant steering clear of the HEAVY PERFUME LADY at my gym! She has ruined many a workout of mine; it’s so heavy that it makes me sick being too close to her. Now if I see them coming (there are a few), I stop, clean off my machine, and move to another area of the gym. No biggie if I’m just getting started or close to finishing, but it’s a jam up when I’m in the zone. Any suggestions as to how to deal with this? My husband and I always joke about stalking out the cubby she uses and slipping in a little note! 😉

I feel you on the spin boredom– Sometimes I’m feeling it, but sometimes I can think of 10 places I’d rather be :/

By the way, I just started my NASM studying! I don’t know why, but I had to let you know. Study buddies? 8)
    Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..A Keeper

Your “would you rather’s” are cracking me up this morning! I don’t like to strength train but if I had to choose I would say machines, even though they intimidate me! I’d rather do an hour of yoga. AND…I guess be stuck next to the grunter? LOL

8. Nicole says

I’m not a big fan of spinning either! I tried it a few weeks ago for the first time, and I was so bored. It was definitely tough, but I’d much rather be doing something else.

Oh, and the gas-passers are the worst. There is one guy who is notorious for such gestures during bikram at the place I go to. I found that out the hard way, but learned my lesson real quick – stay to the opposite side of the room!

I like using the machines because I know I”m doing to exercises properly. I’ve never been educated in proper free weight use, so I always think I’m doing it wrong.

Definitely hour long yoga – I’ve never done spin, but I don’t think I’d like it.

Oh the grunter – loud noises trump potential horrible smells ANY DAY.
    Samantha recently posted..And We Have a Winner…

Trackbacks