Ending My Month-Long Hiatus

by Courtney on October 17, 2011

After a little bit lazy and a little bit social weekend, it was time to get back into the swing of things this morning. But first, here’s what you may have missed:

Jacks Turns One

My Judging Debut

Top 4 Apple Recipes

So with the challenge officially being over (more on that a little later) I awoke bright and early to end my month-long hiatus with the gym. Turns out, my gym did a little revamping while I was away and there are now some pretty cool, brand-spankin’ new machines up in there.

source

Since it’s Monday, I intended on taking the BodyCombat class, but the instructor ended up calling in sick this morning so it was cancelled. Total bummer. That left me with only one other choice, which was the Express (45 minute) spin class.

I stuck it out with this class, but it’s definitely still just not my favorite. I love how it makes me sweat, but I just don’t find it…fun. Ahh well!

I followed up spin class with an upper body weights routine that was very similar to an idea I got from Julie I while back:

• Superset One: overhead press + barbell row (15 reps of each)
  • Superset Two: chess press + upright rows (15 reps of each)
  • Superset Three: front shoulder raises + tricep dips (15 reps of each)
  • Superset Four: bicep curls + tricep kick backs (15 reps of each)
  • Mac raises (20 reps)
  • Lat pulldowns (using machine, 15 reps)

It felt great to combine some upper body strength work with the intense, lower body workout from spin class. It was a winning workout for sure!

Breakfast

On my way home from the gym, I made a quick pit stop at my favorite coffee shop to surprise hubby with some coffees. We ran out over the weekend so until I go grocery shopping today, we’re outta the goods. I mean, I couldn’t go without my coffee fix for one day let the poor guy go into work on a Monday morning with no coffee, right? Winking smile

Pumpkin Pie for me, Cookies and Cream for him (both were equally fantastic)

Once I got home, I quickly put together a Pumpkin Buckwheat bowl, topped with some PB2 and granola.

Nothin’ like a kick-a$$ workout and a warm, pumpkin-filled breakfast to kick-start my day, right?

I was planning on giving you guys the low-down on my experience with the 10lb. Slimdown Challenge this morning, but I’ve actually got to scoot out the door to run some errands, so I promise I’ll fill ya’ll in this afternoon. I know many of you have been asking about it and I’ve got lots of thoughts!

Questions for the Morning:

WOULD YOU RATHER…

• Strength train with free weights –OR- strength train with machines?
  • Take an hour long spin class –OR- an hour long yoga class?
  • Be stuck in a group exercise class next to a constant grunter –OR- next to someone who passes gas every 10 minutes?

1 Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers October 17, 2011 at 8:42 am

yayyy for supersets! so glad you liked that workout. i can’t wait to hear about your challenge reflections soon. :) it seemed like a great way to change up your routine and keep your body guessing.

as for your WYR questions:
– free weights (definitely!)
– spin class
– grunter
Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers recently posted..Sure To Make You Sore Leg Workout

2 Courtney October 17, 2011 at 8:53 am

It was GREAT! It would have been even better if you were there doing it with me though. ;)

3 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries October 17, 2011 at 8:43 am

It’s been awhile since you’ve asked “would you rather” questions!
I’d rather strength train with free weights for sure. Free weights can be much more efficient!
I’d rather take an hour long spin class! I’m not a huge yoga lover. I love to get my heart rate going and sweat.
Hahaha the last one makes me laugh. This is tough because the grunting is a pet peeve of mine but the passing gas would be so gross! Hmm I’d have to go with the grunting. At least I wouldn’t be grossed out every few minutes!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Afternoon at the Park

4 Nichole October 17, 2011 at 8:43 am

Nothing is worse than when you are ready to rock and a class is canceled. Sorry about that! But great workout indeed.

I love all the classes and it depends on what mood I am in that helps me decide if I want to sweat it out on a bike, or find my zen moment.

Yummy coffee and fall pics, love this time of year.

5 Taylor @ Crumbs Don't Count October 17, 2011 at 8:44 am

I think Spin has a LOT to do with the instructor. There is a male instructor at my gym who picks horrible music (very tribal) and doesn’t do the spin class with us. This is by far my least favorite instructor, meaning the classes just aren’t as fun for me. I need GOOD MUSIC to get me all amped up. I like to sing along in my head! :)
Taylor @ Crumbs Don’t Count recently posted..I Want to Bank You

6 Hope October 17, 2011 at 8:50 am

Cookies and cream coffee?! That sounds fantastic!

I’d rather spin, although I’ve never taken a spin class so I might regret that decision. Haha! ;) Happy Monday!
Hope recently posted..An Easy Chili Kind Of Night…

7 Kelly October 17, 2011 at 8:52 am

Free Weights
Spin Class
Grunter

HAHA…the last one made me laugh!
Kelly recently posted..my weekend

8 Courtney October 17, 2011 at 8:53 am

Haha, I was hoping it would put a smile on some faces :)

9 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill October 17, 2011 at 8:56 am

I never knew cookies and cream coffee even existed!
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..Epic Fail

10 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health October 17, 2011 at 9:04 am

Oh my gosh those coffee flavors sound amazing!! I would rather strength train with free weights- I feel like I get a better workout! And I would definitely rather take spinning than yoga…I just can’t get into yoga for some reason! Haha I’d take the grunter over the farter for sure ;).
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Revving Up Your Strength Workout and A Lush Nuts Giveaway!

11 Tiffany October 17, 2011 at 9:16 am

I’m a lazy, so I think strength train on machines
Spin Class – I agree with what someone said above, alot if it has to do with the instructor, their teaching / coaching style and music that is played.
Grunter, mos’def.

12 Lindsey October 17, 2011 at 9:18 am

Thought I used to be intimidated by free weights I now love them way more than machines!
Hour long spin :)
Grunter for sure! haha
Lindsey recently posted..It’s Pumpkin Time!

13 Christina October 17, 2011 at 9:19 am

I think I’d rather be next to the grunter or the gas passer if it meant steering clear of the HEAVY PERFUME LADY at my gym! She has ruined many a workout of mine; it’s so heavy that it makes me sick being too close to her. Now if I see them coming (there are a few), I stop, clean off my machine, and move to another area of the gym. No biggie if I’m just getting started or close to finishing, but it’s a jam up when I’m in the zone. Any suggestions as to how to deal with this? My husband and I always joke about stalking out the cubby she uses and slipping in a little note! ;)

14 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 17, 2011 at 9:19 am

can’t wait to read about your thoughts on the challenge!
-free weights
-yoga
-grunter
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Philadelphia half marathon training: week 5

15 Steph @ StephSnacks October 17, 2011 at 9:30 am

I’m so bummed I turned off my alarm clock and slept in instead of the workout.. thinking of hitting up the gym, tonight though! And I would definitely prefer a grunter over someone who passes gas.
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..RARE and a Birthday

16 Ari @ Ari's Menu October 17, 2011 at 9:46 am

Free weights, spin (my fav!!), and DEFINITELY the grunter. Entertainment makes the work out go by so much faster :)
Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispy Treats

17 Khushboo October 17, 2011 at 9:52 am

Maybe I live under a rock but I’m surprised I’m the only one commenting about this: cookies n cream coffee…say whaaaaaaaat?! Can you believe vanilla is the most flavored coffee I’ve tried- LAME!
Khushboo recently posted..Getting your priorities straight

18 Shayla @ The Good Life October 17, 2011 at 10:04 am

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the challenge!

Free weights, definitely spin (my ultimte fav workout), and grunter :)
Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..Variety is the “All Spice” in Life

19 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance October 17, 2011 at 10:04 am

I feel you on the spin boredom– Sometimes I’m feeling it, but sometimes I can think of 10 places I’d rather be :/

By the way, I just started my NASM studying! I don’t know why, but I had to let you know. Study buddies? 8)
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..A Keeper

20 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles October 17, 2011 at 10:27 am

Kick those errands in the bumm and have a fantastic morning- the coffee is the perfect way to start a positive Monday! :)
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Mini Pumpkin Muffins > Regular Pumpkin Muffins

21 Krissie J @ A Philly Nerd Girl October 17, 2011 at 10:46 am

I like using free weights more than the machines, but when working out I try to utilize both. Definitely yoga over spin class and I would MUCH rather deal with a grunter than a gassy classmate!! LOL.
Krissie J @ A Philly Nerd Girl recently posted..Pillsbury Orange Candy Corn Bars

22 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake October 17, 2011 at 10:54 am

Cookies & cream coffee?! Yum!

1) Free weights
2) Spin!
3) Grunter… I guess haha
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Fun Finds

23 Kati Mora, MS, RD, Kellogg's FiberPlus(R) Wellness Advocate October 17, 2011 at 10:54 am

Your breakfast looks like such a warm, deliciously fall treat! I’m not a big oats fan, but love the idea of sprucing up breakfast with seasonal flair. Pumpkin is a great addition to that list!

24 Mallory @ It's Only Life October 17, 2011 at 11:00 am

1. free weights
2. spin, though i’m with you, i don’t find it very fun! but id rather sweat more than do yoga (i just dont like yoga at all)
3. grunter
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Nutella Chocolate Chip Cookies

25 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life October 17, 2011 at 11:47 am

Machine
Spin class
Grunter..I can try to ignore the grunts, but if it smells, I’d have to high tail it out of there.

Cookies and Cream coffee sound Ah-mazing!

Can’t wait to hear what you think of the 10 lb slimdown. I have exercise TV and do the workouts sometimes and I’m interesting in doing the challenge.
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Don’t Drink the Paint Stripper

26 Jess@atasteofconfidence October 17, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Machine. I feel like I know more of what I’m doing haha. Spin and grunter!
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..my boyfriend’s back and there’s gonna be trouble

27 Jessica October 17, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Your “would you rather’s” are cracking me up this morning! I don’t like to strength train but if I had to choose I would say machines, even though they intimidate me! I’d rather do an hour of yoga. AND…I guess be stuck next to the grunter? LOL

28 Candice October 17, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Yay for new machines!
and for WYR
free weights
spin
and class.. hoping the music would drown them out..
Candice recently posted..Sunday Enchiladas

29 colleen @ thegiftofmondays October 17, 2011 at 1:22 pm

the choice for breakfast today was a pumpkin oats bowl (would’ve looked similar to yours-maybe not as cute) or pumpkin applesauce donuts…i went with the donuts and a side of scrambled eggs…loved it!!!

can’t wait to hear your 10lb slimdown thoughts…

hApPy mONdaY!!!
colleen @ thegiftofmondays recently posted..i used to have an eating disorder

30 Mac October 17, 2011 at 1:23 pm

No questions asked, free weights! Hour long spin. I think I’ll take the grunted, that’s tough though.
Mac recently posted..Things I Haven’t Shared…

31 Meg October 17, 2011 at 1:25 pm

1. free weights- not a fan of machines
2. spin class… i love it
3. ahhh thats a tough one… I hate grunters…. and farting will smell but could be funny to laugh at?
Meg recently posted..Sunday Night Football And Yummy Yummy Soup

32 Nicole October 17, 2011 at 2:13 pm

I’m not a big fan of spinning either! I tried it a few weeks ago for the first time, and I was so bored. It was definitely tough, but I’d much rather be doing something else.

Oh, and the gas-passers are the worst. There is one guy who is notorious for such gestures during bikram at the place I go to. I found that out the hard way, but learned my lesson real quick – stay to the opposite side of the room!

33 Erica October 17, 2011 at 3:45 pm

cookies and cream coffee?!?!? i need some of that!

-free weights
-yoga
-grunter
Erica recently posted..ollie bee visits grandma

34 Cat @Breakfast to Bed October 17, 2011 at 4:01 pm

FFREEEE weights. the others just tie me down. I refuse to be tied down.
I vote neither. I am too talkative for yoga and hate spinning like bakers hate diets.
If I am beside a grunter, i just make different , obnoxious noises and see if they compete. it’s a good game.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..You Can’t Compete With Cocaine.

35 Samantha October 17, 2011 at 4:47 pm

I like using the machines because I know I”m doing to exercises properly. I’ve never been educated in proper free weight use, so I always think I’m doing it wrong.

Definitely hour long yoga – I’ve never done spin, but I don’t think I’d like it.

Oh the grunter – loud noises trump potential horrible smells ANY DAY.
Samantha recently posted..And We Have a Winner…

36 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy October 17, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Free weights, spin class, grunter. I took a spin class tonight and my bike was a little too close to a grunter. Luckily, the instructor knew the guy and kept giving him encouraging words (“You’ve got it Bill”- or w/e his name was), which seemed to help, haha.
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Pumpkins + Ice Cream + Sisterly Love